• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sri Guru Granth Sahib In English

Ozarks

SPNer
Jun 20, 2009
I would like to know if there is a "best English translation" of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I have read other religious and historical texts of other groups/peoples and find that there is often one translation that is better than others and was wondering if that was the case here. One translation may be literal and another, well I can think of the word... it's what is ment not nessassarily what is said.

Ozarks

SPNer
Jun 20, 2009
I will mention that part of the reason for this post is I have read the word that is often translated as "True" within the first few sentences of the book to be translated as "Wisdom" and also as "Truth". I just wondered which would be the "most correct" translation.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I would like to know if there is a "best English translation" of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I have read other religious and historical texts of other groups/peoples and find that there is often one translation that is better than others and was wondering if that was the case here. One translation may be literal and another, well I can think of the word... it's what is ment not nessassarily what is said.

I would recommend:

Sri Guru Granth Sahib with translation: Sikh Foundation Store

Reason why, it is in a three column format and has English, transliteration and Gurumukhi.

It is the closest, and near perfect translation I have seen.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji

A quick glance, and it looks really really nice. What is it about the translation that you like? Maybe a few examples to help us understand?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM