• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Sikhism On Alcohol

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
What can one say? Sikhs are specifically prohibited from smoking and consuming alcohol. While the first is more or less adhered to, the second is observed more in its breach!
I have not been able to understand this. All leading functionaries of most of the Gurudwaras are heavy, public and proud drinkers! Punjab leads in consumption of alcohol in India and also grosses the highest excise collection on alcohol!
At parties and get togethers, when people express surprise on my refusing hard drinks my Sikh "friends" feel embarrassed and explain it off by calling me a "South Indian Sardar" or a "Idli Dosa sardar"! "You see he was brought up in Bangalore"!
I do not have any explanation as to why Sikhs are such heavy drinkers inspite of Sikhi being specifically against cosumption of alcohol.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
What can one say? Sikhs are specifically prohibited from smoking and consuming alcohol. While the first is more or less adhered to, the second is observed more in its breach!
I have not been able to understand this. All leading functionaries of most of the Gurudwaras are heavy, public and proud drinkers! Punjab leads in consumption of alcohol in India and also grosses the highest excise collection on alcohol!
At parties and get togethers, when people express surprise on my refusing hard drinks my Sikh "friends" feel embarrassed and explain it off by calling me a "South Indian Sardar" or a "Idli Dosa sardar"! "You see he was brought up in Bangalore"!
I do not have any explanation as to why Sikhs are such heavy drinkers inspite of Sikhi being specifically against cosumption of alcohol.

Harbans ji,

Guru Fateh.

We have had many weddings in our family in the USA and Canada but never served a drop of alcohol in any of the functions which were quite a few. A couple of times when they were held at a private club or a restaurant where alcohol was available, we made them close their bars during our functions.

There was a reception party I went to last week. Both the boy and girl are amritdharis even the parents too and I was shocked to see the open bar. It shows nothing but their own insecurity, it seems.

Tejwant Singh

Aug 6, 2006
SSA,
First of all its very pleasing to see some scholers writinf their valuable views. Its very unfotunate that the alcohol consumption has been attached to sardarji name. We have spoiled our reputation to the extent that many other people thinks that sikhs are allowed to consume alcohol religiously. To correct that reputation first of all we have to flood the media with the truth that gurbani teaches us to stay away from not only alcohol but tobbacco and other intoxicant also. This way we will be able to guide our people and also let others know that what sikhism is all about.
roopsidhu

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
It shows nothing but their own insecurity, it seems.

Tejwant ji,

You may be right.
I think the Sikhs picked up the habit from the "Burra Sahibs" that is the British. The British recruited Sikhs in large numbers to serve in their armed forces. I think they just copied their Colonels and Generals and started imagining themselves as connoisseurs of good things!
From there the culture must have percolated into the civilian population of Sikhs also.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Tejwant ji,

You may be right.
I think the Sikhs picked up the habit from the "Burra Sahibs" that is the British. The British recruited Sikhs in large numbers to serve in their armed forces. I think they just copied their Colonels and Generals and started imagining themselves as connoisseurs of good things!
From there the culture must have percolated into the civilian population of Sikhs also.

We have misl in 18th century bhangi misl whose members were addicted to Bhang.So sikhs use to intoxicate themself even in 18th century

Bhangian di Misal

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
We have misl in 18th century bhangi misl whose members were addicted to Bhang.So sikhs use to intoxicate themself even in 18th century

Bhangian di Misal
And what about the Nihags openly making bhang at many Sikh religious congregations?:confusedmunda:
I have been seeing it outside Gurudwara Dukhniwaran Sahib at Patiala for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
And what about the Nihags openly making bhang at many Sikh religious congrerations?:confusedmunda:
I have been seeing it outside Gurudwara Dukhniwaran Sahib at Patiala for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted by Kanwardeep Singh

Bhangian di Misal

Kanwardeep Singh ji and Jasbir Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Yes,the above are the the unfortunate facts and bad examples to the young Sikhs. By using Bhang as a gateway, they can move on to heroine and other dangerous addictive drugs.

The pathetic part of all this is that our culture is seeped into traditions. We have not been able to break the shackles of wrong traditions and move forward from them as SGGS, our only Guru gives us the tools to.That is why, even the Tankha handed by the Panj Piyaaras for any "kureheit"- 'wrongdoing according to the panth',- someone may have committed is do so many Japjis , Sukhmanis etc etc. In other words keep on parroting Gurbani rather than understanding it so that we learn the tools to put it into practice.

We have to find ways to eradicate this bhang, alcohol and other drugs culture through education otherwise we will remain tribal minded no matter how many Akhand Paaths, Sehaj Paaths, Japjis Sukhmanis, Dukhbhajanjis we do all our lives.

It is not an easy task nor is there a quick fix but rather than gold plating our Gurdwaras and making them places of idol worshiping, we should spend our money and efforts in this direction.

We fail to understand and grasp the beautiful vision and Guide given to us by our Gurus in the form of SGGS to get rid of the tribal mentality so that we can evolve ourselves as better human beings.

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji,

You may be right.

Harbans ji,

Guru Fateh.

I agree with you. I remember while growing up in Ferozepore we used to go to the Military club there and the bar was open 24-7. Our armed forces, especially the officers have a very grave alcoholic problem which is dangerous and as we know that our culture allows us to hide any of these problems which makes them even worse. This is the reason parents hide their kids who are addicted to hard drugs rather than getting them treated.

Denial is the biggest obstacle and a paradox in our culture.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Aug 6, 2006
originally posted by Tejwant singh ji
It is not an easy task nor is there a quick fix but rather than gold plating our Gurdwaras and making them places of idol worshiping, we should spend our money and efforts in this direction.

I m totally with Tejwant ji. while being busy in gold plating the walls of shrines and idol worship we have totally forgotten the real golden rules of sikhism.
roopsidhu

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: