• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Sangat Challanged Prof. Darshan Singh On Distorting Dasam Granth Bani

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Sikh Sangat challanged Prof. Darshan Singh on distorting Dasam Granth Bani

Posted in: Asia
By SSNews
Jan 14, 2008 - 4:54:04 PM
Digg this story!
Email this article
Printer friendly page

Amritsar: Akhand kirtani jatha has warned Prof Darshan Singh that he should discuss with them Dasam Granth and Vaar of Bhai Gurdass singh ji in presence of international media, panthic scholars and Sikh sangat. The spokesman of Jatha, Dr Balwinder Singh and eleven member committee member Bhai Mohkam Singh in a press note stated that they will prove that Prof Darshan Singh is preaching against Gurbani and playing into the hands of anti Sikh forces.

It is worth to mention that Prof Darshan Singh on Jan 5 birthday of sahib Guru Gobind Singh ji Maharaj spoke against Bachitra natak, Dasam Granth and Hemkunt sahib in Gurudwara Rakab Ganj, Delhi. It hurt the sangat present there and their religious feelings were outraged. Some young men opposed it in Diwan Hall and a stampede was created there thereby everyone left the Gurudwara. Direct relay of programme from TV was also canceled.

Akhand kirtani jatha said if Darshan singh considers himself wiser than panthic scholars then he should have debate with Prof Jodh Singh, Giani Sher Singh Ambala, Kanwar Ajit singh, Dr Anokh Singh Bhatinda in presence of media and sangat on Dasam Granth and Bhai Gurdas Singh ji 2nd.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Posted in: Asia
By SSNews
Jan 14, 2008 - 4:54:04 PM
Digg this story!
Email this article
Printer friendly page

Amritsar: Akhand kirtani jatha has warned Prof Darshan Singh that he should discuss with them Dasam Granth and Vaar of Bhai Gurdass singh ji in presence of international media, panthic scholars and Sikh sangat. The spokesman of Jatha, Dr Balwinder Singh and eleven member committee member Bhai Mohkam Singh in a press note stated that they will prove that Prof Darshan Singh is preaching against Gurbani and playing into the hands of anti Sikh forces.

It is worth to mention that Prof Darshan Singh on Jan 5 birthday of sahib Guru Gobind Singh ji Maharaj spoke against Bachitra natak, Dasam Granth and Hemkunt sahib in Gurudwara Rakab Ganj, Delhi. It hurt the sangat present there and their religious feelings were outraged. Some young men opposed it in Diwan Hall and a stampede was created there thereby everyone left the Gurudwara. Direct relay of programme from TV was also canceled.

Akhand kirtani jatha said if Darshan singh considers himself wiser than panthic scholars then he should have debate with Prof Jodh Singh, Giani Sher Singh Ambala, Kanwar Ajit singh, Dr Anokh Singh Bhatinda in presence of media and sangat on Dasam Granth and Bhai Gurdas Singh ji 2nd.
Good thing he didn't read Chritropakhiyan, he would've been dead by now!!! :)

Apr 4, 2007
Sri Dasam Granth of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji santsipahi.org

As if afflicted by compulsive disorder to spread canard and blasphemy, Spokesman,a Chandigarh based news paper ostracized from the Panth by Akal Takhat Sahib has once again repeated its anti-Sikh stance on the occasion of the parkash utsav of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

In its 4th January issue it has alleged that Prof. Darshan Singh, a former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib condemned and ridiculed Bachittar Natak, autobiography of Guru Gobind Singh ji by saying that Bachittar Natak or Sri Dasam Granth Sahib has a philosophy and ideology contradictory to Sri Guru Granth Sahib. The paper goes on to put the words in the mouth of Prof. Darshan Singh that as per Bachittar Natak Guru Nanak Dev ji to Guru Gobind Singh are not one jyot.

The above statement is nothing but mischievous. Guru Gobind Singh ji in his biography Bachittar Natak very categorically notes:
sri nanak angad kar mana, amar das angad pehchana.
amar das ram das kahayo, sadhan lakha moorh nahi payo.9
bhinn bhinn sabh hu kar jana, ek roop kinhoo pechana.
jin jana tin hi sidh payee, bin samjhe isdh hath na aye.10
Sri Nanak was accepted as Angad and (Guru) Angad was identified as (Guru) Amar Das. Guru Amar Das was called (Guru) Ram Das and this mystery was understood by the saints but the stupid ones could not follow it.9
Ordinary persons considered them in different forms but some rare ones understood them as one. Those who knew them as one attained (all) the high spiritual stages but without understanding (the mysteries) nothing can be attained.10.

Prof. Darshan Singh had been the Jathedar of Akal Takhat Sahib and has to his credit hundreds of Shabads sung and articles written from Bachittar Natak and Sri Dasam Granth Sahib. It is absolutely inconceivable as how a man of religious stature of Prof. Darshan Singh could ignore all his previous kirtan and writings.

Sri Dasam Granth Sahib is installed at Takhat Sri Patna Sahib and Takhat Sachkhand Hazur Sahib and Prof. Darshan Singh on numerous occasions had done kirtan from Sri Dasam Granth Sahib at the stages of these Takhats too.

It was only because of these Machiavellian machinations of anti-Sikh forces to create dissensions and confusion, that Akal Takhat Sahib had to issue a Hukamnama declaring those speaking against Sri Dasam Granth Sahib as "mischievous elements".

It is now imperative for Prof. Darshan Singh to clarify his stand on the alleged report of Spokesman which tarnishes his image and also violates the edict of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib and is nothing but mischievously blasphemous.

Chair IHRO

IHRO Sikh Affairs

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Prof darshan Singh has given his statement in Jan 20 Rozana Spokesman.
Rozana Spokesman Online........
1. In Hazoor Sahib in the Morning Diwan he questioned as to When Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave "Equal rights" to Dsm Granth to be Paraksh at same level as Guru Garnth Sahib Ji. According to him everyone accepts that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave Gurgadhi ONLY to ONE GRANTH - SGGS.
The Management wanted him to do ONLY "Kiratn" and no katha in the evening Diwan - he Refused to do kiratn under conditions.
2. The Guru teg bahadur Gurdwara Jallandhar also wanted him to do nirol Kirtan - he refused to comply with such conditions which censor his katha. This REFUSAL was relayed to the Gurdawra Pardhan on the phone itself - no sangat stopped him.

MY views: The DG controversy is needless and divisive. The Panth should sit down and discuss the issue and settle it for good. Name calling, "Warnings" etc are counter productive..we are all Sikhs and we can sit down together..Gurmukh baitheh saffan vichayeah...is Gurbani.

Gyani jarnail Singh

Feb 7, 2008
as far as i can see, the DG controversy is MEANT to be divisive. it was created to divide the panth and if we don't stop it soon it may succeed.

Response

Jasleen Kaur ji
You are right .There was no DG controversey on authenticity of DG banis in 17th ,18th and 19th century.It cropped up when Bhag singh of Arya samaj and Hindu background created it in 1970s.He was repeating the charge of Swami Daya Nand who had criticized Dasam Granth as it showed Hindu Avtars in bad light and Dasam Granth had put them under the command of akal purakh.

Now people like Darshan singh who had been doing kirtan of DG banis all his life and made money from it is turning other way around.At best this is hypocricy and treachery.

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh,

I felt so ashamed to read all of your posts on Prof. Darshan Singh Khalsa Ji.
1984, after attack, how many sikh families were distroyed in India?
Why Satwant Singh Ji & Kehar singh Ji were hanged?
Our Guru Gobind Singh ji wants us to become a Khalsa not pin point others!
We have to ask these questions to our self, are we amritdhari sikhs belongs to Guru Gobind Singh JI.

We have to BOW our head to Guru Granth Sahib JI
We have to Follow Rehat Maryada from Akal Thakat sahib
We have to so open mind, to see what is the Truth behind it not follow others.
How come, Jathedar, Vedanti Ji didn't say anything or other Four Thakat Jathedar.

Panch( Five Jathedhar) has to make a desicion.

Please look in to your soul think, what is the main cause. So far all the Gurudwars has only Guru Granth Sahib ji Parkash.

I hope i am not offending any one these are just my views.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
We all work and earned money with different jobs.
Doing Kirtan on stages, we as sangats sits and listen to it when are so happy than we give money not to a person to a KIRTAN.
We do Bow our self to Guru Granth Sahib ji, where does than money go. Some day we will pin point why we are donating a money when we do the Matha Take.
Please, do not insult any one who Play Kirtan
Thank You
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
[Prof darshan Singh has given his statement in Jan 20 Rozana Spokesman.
Rozana Spokesman Online........
1. In Hazoor Sahib in the Morning Diwan he questioned as to When Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave "Equal rights" to Dsm Granth to be Paraksh at same level as Guru Garnth Sahib Ji. According to him everyone accepts that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave Gurgadhi ONLY to ONE GRANTH - SGGS.
The Management wanted him to do ONLY "Kiratn" and no katha in the evening Diwan - he Refused to do kiratn under conditions.
2. The Guru teg bahadur Gurdwara Jallandhar also wanted him to do nirol Kirtan - he refused to comply with such conditions which censor his katha. This REFUSAL was relayed to the Gurdawra Pardhan on the phone itself - no sangat stopped him.

MY views: The DG controversy is needless and divisive. The Panth should sit down and discuss the issue and settle it for good. Name calling, "Warnings" etc are counter productive..we are all Sikhs and we can sit down together..Gurmukh baitheh saffan vichayeah...is Gurbani.

Binder Mandur
Canada

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Srdwr swihb jI,

Awp jI dw jbwb iblkul shI hY jI]
pRo drSn isMG jI kwPI ivdvwn hn Aqy swfI srbacqw isrP Akwl qKqswihb AimRqsr hI hY]
DnMvwd
:idea:

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Please use words with respect. If you can not give life to others than you do not have any rights to take it too.
Kirtan doesn't belongs to one person it's our BANI it's from Guru Granth Sahib JI so please use your own brain.
Thank you

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I was thinking of doing my Doctorate with a view to possibly being a Professor, but being a Sikh and a Professor is a bad combination as people seem always ready to excommunicate you or beat you up!!!! ;)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yeh! Or call you a bad thing. Jios, the Guru who wrote some or all of Dasam Granth is the same Guru who made Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj -- the Guru Granth. This is our Guru. And this same 10th Guru did not claim gurgaddi for his own Bani. This same man did not have animosity in his heart. Why do we?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Yeh! Or call you a bad thing. Jios, the Guru who wrote some or all of Dasam Granth is the same Guru who made Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj -- the Guru Granth. This is our Guru. And this same 10th Guru did not claim gurgaddi for his own Bani. This same man did not have animosity in his heart. Why do we?

I have always viewed Dasam Granth like and Appendix to the the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. There is no doubt, things like Zafarnama in the Dasam Granth were written by the 10th Master, but there are other things that are not. Many people get confused by the outright Hiduistic terminology in Dasam Granth, but I ask people before I learned Calculus, I had to learn to count. In the same way, before Guruji can explain advanced Sikh concepts to the fledgling Sikh community, he had to explian concepts in terms they were familiar with, in this case Hindu concepts.

I suggest read Dasam Granth ji before dismissing it.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji

The Dasam Granth is an awesome work of religious thinking and poetry. Depending on a person's temperament there are parts that can blow you away. Blow me away anyway, from Jap Sahib forward.

The writing is energetic, strong and forceful. And in my personal opinion, the historical events surrounding its composition had a lot to do with its style and the poetic vision of the author -- Guru Gobind Singh ji. He wrote in a time when all the energy of the Creator was needed to withstand the assault on Sikh values and purpose and belief. So Guru Gobind channeled that energy into writing that would literally pump into his Sikhs as much hope as required to believe in victory and a sense of a different future. All the dhyann and all the past visions of Dharma had to flow like a river rushing without impediment toward a positive ending.

The rhythms of Dasam Granth are so different. They charge the reader with a feeling of God's dominion and their own inevitable victory. It convinced the Sikhs of his time that after much destruction, death, and chaos, that victory would be theirs in the part of the world that Sikhs defended, and only after much personal loss and suffering. And later, though the British prevailed, Sikhism had already evolved to a religion of victory by God and the soul. This is the way that I read Dasam Granth -- moved from within toward a sense of outward stability.

Sooner or later the bickering must quiet down. Some significant differences must still be addressed. The unfortunate result for now is that this holy book will be used as a political football instead of the voice of liberation that it is until the debate ends.

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Good work you all.Keep it up. At least, we are reading something.
I know one thing for fact,' Guru Gobind Singh Ji" Has given us name Khalsa," Panj Piyare" so we should be more wiser and smart.
we have one humen life so we should read bani undestand bani Become a Khalsa a TRUE KHALSA from our heart.

One thing more we should bow our head to Akal Takhat Sahib In Amritsar (Harimandher
GOLDEN TEMPLE) we have five Takhat but all of the Five Jathedhar has to be present to Jari a Hukamnama. Not one or two.
Wahe Guru JI Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru ji Ki Fateh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Good work you all.Keep it up. At least, we are reading something.
I know one thing for fact,' Guru Gobind Singh Ji" Has given us name Khalsa," Panj Piyare" so we should be more wiser and smart. Wahe Guru JI Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru ji Ki Fateh

That is my point too!;)

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Randip Singh Ji

Gur Fateh Parwaan, JI,

I have read the "Dhasam Granth Ji" I bow my head to "Guru Granth Sahib Ji" every day infact twice a day. For knowledge I read Dhasam Granth and I do read every day Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
I do belive in one thing, Guru Gobind Singh Ji has given us name Khalsa also Gurgadi was given to Guru Granth Sahib ji.
So you should do a PHD on Dasham Granth. I am very delighted to know Person Like you from UK has that much knowledge.
No hard feelings but I am impressed by your views and others.

Gur fateh

Last edited:

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Prof. Darshan Singh Ji Khalsa

Panch Parwaan, Panch Pardhan, Panche pavae darge maan, Pacha ka Gur eik dheyan

Khalsa Ji,

I want to your oppninion what is the defination of
Sikh
Khalsa
what name we will give ( when we are sitting in Deewan Hall in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji) ( sadh Sangat, Sangat or Gur-sangat)
When we have Parkaash of Guru Grath sahib ji in the Gurudwara, we should BOW our head ( Matha Take) to Guru Granth sahib ji to which Gur gadhi Has given
Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, jo hum ko parmeshwar ucher hain

Gur Fateh JI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM