• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Converts Marriage

born2wonder

SPNer
Aug 26, 2009
I know sikh marriage ceremonies are very family based but what would happen in this situation.

A sikh convert (someone who has converted to sikhi) was going to get married and his family (Including his Parents) said O.K but none of them want to go to the ceremony.
This would obvisiously be quite embrassing for him so what do you think should be done .

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I think the whole point of the Sikh marriage is that you openly, infront of everyone (family, friends, community and God) declare you are going to spend your life with this person.

If the people getting married are willing to do this and get married, and relatives do not wish to attend, the declaration is still valid, as the intention of the couple was to declare their vows openly.

I would say that is fine.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
As for the embarrassment, I think he should be sure to invite all his friends, especially those who are "like family" to be a surrogate family for him. :happy:

Sikh celebrations always involve family, so if his birth family is uncooperative, I would suggest he get busy starting his own!:whisling:

Forget those dolts who won't attend. :u): They'll never know what they're missing!

Chardi kala!

:ice:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
As for the embarrassment, I think he should be sure to invite all his friends, especially those who are "like family" to be a surrogate family for him. :happy:

Sikh celebrations always involve family, so if his birth family is uncooperative, I would suggest he get busy starting his own!:whisling:

Forget those dolts who won't attend. :u): They'll never know what they're missing!

Chardi kala!

:ice:

:aagree: Such good advice. There is a saying - When life has handed you lemons, then make lemonade.

Create and transform life's sour part into something truly better. Lemonade - cool, refreshing, sweet, you can even include a few sprigs of mint.

During May and June there are weddings broadcast as part of the Sikhnet Sunday Gurdwara Service -- and many of the sangat are converts. So some of the brides and some of the bridegrooms have no family there and I have seen half the sangat stand for them during the laavan.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
There is a saying - When life has handed you lemons, then make lemonade.

Create and transform life's sour part into something truly better. Lemonade - cool, refreshing, sweet, you can even include a few sprigs of mint.

And to complete things, plant the seeds, so you'll have that cool, refreshing lemonade for years to come!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM