• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Neeke Gun Gaao Mitthee Rog | ਨੀਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਉ ਮਿਟਹੀ ਰੋਗ

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Thank you to member Ishna ji for the suggestion of this shabad from ang 713. This is from a beautiful series of shabads by Guru Arjan Ji. I have provided meanings of each word. Please post your own understanding of the words, the shabad and how to apply the shabad in our daily life. I will try and share my understanding on Wednesday so we can all learn from each other :icecreammunda:

ਟੋਡੀ ਮਃ ੫ ॥Todee, Fifth Mehl:
ਨੀਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਉ ਮਿਟਹੀ ਰੋਗ ॥Neekae Gun Gaao Mittehee Rog ||
ਨੀਕੇ = beautiful
ਗੁਣ = qualities
ਗਾਉ = sing
ਮਿਟਹੀ = to wipe away
ਰੋਗ = disease

ਮੁਖ ਊਜਲ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ ਤੇਰੋ ਰਹੈ ਈਹਾ ਊਹਾ ਲੋਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥Mukh Oojal Man Niramal Hoee Hai Thaero Rehai Eehaa Oohaa Log ||1|| Rehaao ||
ਮੁਖ = face
ਊਜਲ = lights up
ਮਨੁ = person/mind
ਨਿਰਮਲ without dirt/spotless/pure
ਹੋਈ ਹੈ= to become
ਤੇਰੋ = your
ਰਹੈ = it stays that way
ਈਹਾ ਊਹਾ ਲੋਗੁ = in this realm and the next (I.e. different phases of your life)

ਚਰਨ ਪਖਾਰਿ ਕਰਉ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਮਨਹਿ ਚਰਾਵਉ ਭੋਗ ॥ Charan Pakhaar Karo Gur Saevaa Manehi Charaavo Bhog ||
ਚਰਨ=feet
ਪਖਾਰਿ = to wash
ਕਰਉ = I do (notice emphasis on each person making their own effort here)
ਗੁਰ = Guru
ਸੇਵਾ = to serve
ਮਨਹਿ ਚਰਾਵਉ ਭੋਗ = to raise the mind as an offering. In Panjabi we sometimes say, “peta charaavo” which means a monetary offering. So here, the mind is being offered.

ਛੋਡਿ ਆਪਤੁ ਬਾਦੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਾ ਮਾਨੁ ਸੋਈ ਜੋ ਹੋਗੁ ॥੧॥Shhodd Aapath Baadh Ahankaaraa Maan Soee Jo Hog ||1||
ਛੋਡਿ = to leave
ਆਪਤੁ = sense of self
ਬਾਦੁ = dispute
ਅਹੰਕਾਰਾ = egotism
ਮਾਨੁ = mind
ਸੋਈ ਜੋ ਹੋਗੁ = same will happen

ਸੰਤ ਟਹਲ ਸੋਈ ਹੈ ਲਾਗਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲਿਖੋਗੁ ॥Santh Ttehal Soee Hai Laagaa Jis Masathak Likhiaa Likhog ||
ਸੰਤ = saint(Waheguru)
ਟਹਲ = service
ਸੋਈ = that person
ਹੈ ਲਾਗਾ = is near
ਜਿਸੁ = who
ਮਸਤਕਿ = on their forehead
ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲਿਖੋਗੁ = is written

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕਰਣੈ ਜੋਗੁ ॥੨॥੩॥੮॥Kahu Naanak Eaek Bin Dhoojaa Avar N Karanai Jog ||2||3||8||
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ= says Nanak
ਏਕ ਬਿਨੁ = without the One
ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕਰਣੈ ਜੋਗੁ = no other has the capability
:whatzpointkudi:

Attachments

• illuminate mind.jpg
    illuminate mind.jpg
    17.2 KB · Reads: 501

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
There is another thread posted only yesterday which asks how Sikhi is different from Islam. Along with the thread is a video of a well-known imam lecturing and questioning, his face stern and sly. In the video a young lion makes a valiant effort to explain Sikhi to the stern-incredulous cleric. Our children do not need to stumble through challenges - nor should they ever feel challenged - by anyone who makes demands that come from a place of mean and unforgiving moral rectitude - which is a disease of the mind - one of many.

This shabad should be posted on that thread because it answers the question of the difference, and its message cannot be taken apart and debated with clever language.

Nanak says: through the shabad we tie ourselves to consciousness of the holy, to consciousness of pure goodness, which takes away diseases of the mind. We are healed by drawing near to the "sant" - the One who beams with the stamp of goodness. Only the One can fulfill (make us full) and when we are filled there is no room left for anything else. No other can fulfill us in this way, now and forever.

Islam does not teach this. Most religions do not teach this. Making singular efforts to rid ourselves - and rid others - of sin and evil- is willful ego disguised as morality. Guru Nanak offers the alternative - seek out goodness, chose to be filled with goodness, because goodness heals evil and the effects are lasting.

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Few responses this week! My interpretation of the shabad:

ਟੋਡੀ ਮਃ ੫ ॥

Written in Raag Toddee by Guru Arjan Ji

ਨੀਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਉ ਮਿਟਹੀ ਰੋਗ ॥ Neekae Gun Gaao Mittehee Rog ||

Even in English, we have the sentiment of singing with joy. Here singing doesn’t mean literally singing, but with the awareness and work towards imbibing Ik Oankaar’s good qualities within yourself, an immense amount of joy is experienced, causing you to sing (literally and metaphorically!). When this happens the disease of duality in your mind disappears.

ਮੁਖ ਊਜਲ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ ਤੇਰੋ ਰਹੈ ਈਹਾ ਊਹਾ ਲੋਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Mukh Oojal Man Niramal Hoee Hai Thaero Rehai Eehaa Oohaa Log ||1|| Rehaao ||

In this way your lifetime becomes steady (like in the way we say to an unruly youngster when they straighten themselves out). Your face shall become radiant with the glow of peace and happiness and your mind becomes pure in its thoughts and actions.

Rahao tells us to stop and pause here to taken on this critical message. Think about how this can be achieved in your own life?

ਚਰਨ ਪਖਾਰਿ ਕਰਉ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਮਨਹਿ ਚਰਾਵਉ ਭੋਗ ॥ Charan Pakhaar Karo Gur Saevaa Manehi Charaavo Bhog ||

I serve the Guru by washing his feet. This is a metaphor as washing someone’s feet was considered a sign of great humility in yourself and respect so this line is all about dedicating yourself to the life of a Gurmukh. Only by pledging your whole being and your actions can you truly serve Ik Oankaar with the utmost respect.

ਛੋਡਿ ਆਪਤੁ ਬਾਦੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਾ ਮਾਨੁ ਸੋਈ ਜੋ ਹੋਗੁ ॥੧॥ Shhodd Aapath Baadh Ahankaaraa Maan Soee Jo Hog ||1||

You should also devote yourself to Ik Oankaar, give up your sense of self separate from Creation, your constant war with Maya and give up your ego. Whoever is under the protection of Akaal, accepts all that happens as sweet (i.e. they have the strength of mind to deal with everything, thorns and roses).

ਸੰਤ ਟਹਲ ਸੋਈ ਹੈ ਲਾਗਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲਿਖੋਗੁ ॥ Santh Ttehal Soee Hai Laagaa Jis Masathak Likhiaa Likhog ||

Only the person can serve Ik Oankaar fully, if it is written on their forehead. This is a concept that appears frequently in Gurbani so I have given this some thought. The prevalent belief at the time in India (and still is) is that things are preordained and it is destiny. The helplessness that comes from this is not in line with Gurbani so I think here Guruji is changing the concept of things being written on the forehead to mean effort. When you put a lot of effort into something it shows on your forehead due to the change in lines. When you are at peace, it shows on your forehead so we are being told that only those truly serve who make the true effort.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕਰਣੈ ਜੋਗੁ ॥੨॥੩॥੮॥ Kahu Naanak Eaek Bin Dhoojaa Avar N Karanai Jog ||2||3||8||

Here Nanak is telling us, to focus on the Creator only so there is no duality. No other has the ability to act so believe in the creator within yourself in order to make this change. If you start believing in demons or other external forces you will remain in duality and not be able to live as a Gurmukh.

Comments welcome!

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

ਚਰਨ=feet
ਪਖਾਰਿ = to wash
ਕਰਉ = I do (notice emphasis on each person making their own effort here)
ਗੁਰ = Guru
ਸੇਵਾ = to serve
ਮਨਹਿ ਚਰਾਵਉ ਭੋਗ = to raise the mind as an offering

There was old tradition to wash feet before consuming food to get rid of filthy dirt etc before consuming physical food.

So it's a metaphor like physical body one consumes food and before entering area of consumption o e cleans foot,

So before entering Mind area where Mind has to consume Gurus Shabad move with a clean Mind. for purity of thoughts.

False practice and Caution

There are so called fake Sadhs which get there feet cleaned and devotees wash them as said in Bani interpreted by fake Gurus

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM