• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Selflessness?

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!!

I have been thinking for a while now about selflessness and giving to others, and was wondering...Is it possible to "give to much" or to be too selfless. Also If yes, where would one draw the line on them?
Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Khalsa ji

As i understand selflessness is a state of being
and not the act

Seva in general means to do something without asking for return
but doing so even then you carry this on your memory/mind that you have done it and mind satrt hoping for return which could non material like heavan /sachkhand

But as taught in sikhi and unique to it seva should be selfless which means when doing it you should be absent in a sense just thinking that Akal is just operating in you and you are a instrument of Akal Purakh and you can aviod the ego swelling

no ther seems to be no need to draw line now
Either there will be moment in our life where we will do Selfless sewa/Selflessness
or NOT

But with Akals Grace you can become total Gurmukh and achieve total selflessness and then each and every action will be selfless

Jatinder Singh

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Say that the person/ people that are recieving it... start to take it for granted that someone has done something for them. Is it ok to say no you can not help them.
I have known many people who have done soo much for others. They would litterally wake up at 2 in the morning to pick you up if you needed a ride somewhere. And the people who have asked them to do this are their Sangat soo they feel that it is there obligation to help them if others need help. The only problem is that, those people who are always asking for help, do not call them or talk to them any other time than when they need them for something. And feel bad because they do it out of love for them.. but the other person just wants something form them. Is This right??? In that sort of case can one say no to helping another??

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Any act done which benefits others, and doesnt boost our ego due to any reason, may be considered seva. well... this statement may be severely incomplete... i just wanted to give one aspect of this.

minisingh

SPNer
Apr 22, 2005
Mumbai
In today's world, being selfless is looked-at as a little stupid. Personally, i feel that you cannot be selfless without being selfish. Sounds contradictory? Yes, but it is true too. If you are an unhappy, unsatisfied person, you cannot do much for others, can you? You need to make yourself happy and fulfilled first, in order to be able to give to others "selflessly". So my belief is, look after your own happiness, and the happiness of those around will automatically be looked-after. If I am a person trying to spread cheer, and I am myself desperately unhappy, I will not be able to make others happy. If I am happy, that happiness automatically rubs off on those around me. Get it? If I want good citizens in this world, if I make sure my own children are good citizens, and if all the citizens of the world are selfish enough to invest time to make their own children into wonderful citizens, then we have a world full of wonderful citizens. So, my funda is, be selfish to be selfless. Probably, then u will not feel you are being "too selfless", by which I suspect u mean stretching yourself too far.

truthseeker said:

I have been thinking for a while now about selflessness and giving to others, and was wondering...Is it possible to "give to much" or to be too selfless. Also If yes, where would one draw the line on them?
Bhul Chuk Maaf

humble_kaur

SPNer
Dec 15, 2005
British Columbia
truthseeker said:
Bhul Chuk Maaf

I was reading this article about the Power of Giving. Some of the things that were mentioned in this article made me realize how close it is to what Waheguru Ji is teaching us through Gurbani: humility, giving, compassion, forgiving and unconditional love. Everybody has something that they can do better or more easily than other people, be it some talent or skill they were born with or that they have developed. Each interaction with others, each new experience, enhances our knowledge. Sometimes we learn new lessons, sometimes not. Because we know we have learned so much from others, we believe passing on our skills is a way to repay those who taught us so much. Such as reading Gurbani, we have gained wisdom and become void of ignorance.

igAwn AMjnu guir dIAw AigAwn AMDyr ibnwsu ]
The Guru has given the healing ointment of spiritual wisdom, and dispelled the darkness of ignorance.

Sharing skills and knowledge also gives back to you. The more you share your skills and knowledge with others, the more you enhance them.

One the best ways to give is with utmost humility.

min ApnY hY sB qy nIcw ]
Within his own mind, he is the most humble of all.

Not everyone knows how to give, or even gets a chance to give. So when you get an opportunity to give, do not hesitate. Waheguru Ji never stopped giving, He is the Great Giver.

dyvn kau eykY Bgvwnu ]
The Great Giver is the One Lord God.
so ikau ibsrY ijin sBu ikCu dIAw ]
Why forget Him, who has given us everything?

Compassion has been defined as “your pain in my heart”, because you can feel someone’s pain in your heart when you have taken the time to listen carefully and attentively. Compassion starts with ourselves; we need to listen to ourselves to be aware of our deep thoughts.

ik®pw inDwn dieAwl bKsMd ]
the Treasure of mercy, compassion and forgiveness.

Compassion and humility come about when we practice another great giving habit; being non-judgmental. If you are humble and respectful, you will refrain from judging other people. You will realize that the way you see the world is really a reflection of how you are; how you see others is more a reflection of you than of them. Everyone you meet is trying their best in the only way they know how. Waheguru Ji encountered so many people that showed nothing but hatred, but he still radiated with love.

jo bYrweI qw isau pRIiq ]
He shows love to his enemies.

Plato said, “Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” A goal for each of us could be to give people the benefit of the doubt and be non-judgmental. Did Waheguru Ji judge people? No. Instead of judging, be there for people when they need you. When you lend your hand to others, the universe lends its hand to you.

jn kau pRBu hoieE dieAwlu ]
Unto His humble servant, God has shown His kindness.

You invite abundance into your life. The universe and nature, after all, do not judge – they just provide.

True love is Waheguru Ji. True love is selfless.

jo ikCu krY su pRB kY rMig ]
Whatever you do, do it for the Love of God.

True love is free and liberated. It encourages change and growth. Love is timeless, deep love continues to live even after our death. We do recognize that giving love often takes effort. How many people are too busy with their own lives to give time and love to others? Yet, Waheguru Ji never leaves our side. How many really support the people close to them? Support means encouragement and unconditional love. It means letting go of your plans for how you think their life should go and accepting them for what they want to do with their lives. This is one of the greatest gifts that you can give to the people close to you. Waheguru Ji has not told any one of us how to live our lives, yet he still is there for each and every one of us regardless of what path we choose. But isn’t the path towards Waheguru Ji so beautiful!

Forgiving people for past mistakes and hurts is also a way to express love, and forgiveness is wonderful thing to give.

pwrbRhm prmysur goibMd ]
He is the Supreme Lord God, the Transcendent Lord, the Lord of the Universe,
ik®pw inDwn dieAwl bKsMd ]
the Treasure of mercy, compassion and forgiveness.

Like you, other people are only imperfect humans. Keeping hurt and anger in your life often is an excuse to avoid getting close to people for fear they will hurt you again. People want to know that they are special in your life and that you care about them.

If you give because you want credit for what you have done, it reduces the impact of giving.

min nhI pRIiq muKhu gMF lwvq ]
There is no love in his heart, and yet with his mouth he talks tall.

Remember, true giving is unconditional! Waheguru Ji gives unconditionally.

Srb inDwn jIA kw dwqw ]
He is the treasure of everything, the Giver of life.

Nature gives unconditionally. The flower gives its fragrance, and the sun its light, without seeking anything in return.

jYsy sUru srb kau soK ]
like the sun, which gives its comfort and warmth to all.

There is an abundance of food, that even the hungry are fed.

BUKy kau dyvq ADwr ]
He gives food to the hungry.

True love is to love others not because they are lovable or because they love you, but simply because you love. When your giving is unconditional, you receive intangible benefits. The very act of unconditional giving is the reward because it is also a gift to yourself. In the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson: ‘” It is one of the beautiful compensations of this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” Some people believe that they can only give when things are going well. The reality is that you can give at all times.

hir ismrin Bey isD jqI dwqy ]
Remembering the Lord, we become Siddhas, celibates and givers.

We have a lot to give no matter what our circumstances – consider a gift of a smile, a gift of a lovely thought. If you give when you are hurt or when you are in hardship, you sometimes create the energy that can help you through your hard time. Remember that:

dUK sUK pRB dyvnhwru ]
God is the Giver of pain and pleasure.

That is the power of giving for the giver!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: