• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Seating In Gurdwara

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
At least here in Gurdwaras in Canada, males and females sit on different sides. Does anyone know with certainty if this is actually a part of religious protocol, or is it something that has more so culturally evolved?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
At least here in Gurdwaras in Canada, males and females sit on different sides. Does anyone know with certainty if this is actually a part of religious protocol, or is it something that has more so culturally evolved?

There is no actual rule on this. Though it can get crowded sometimes and the women prefer to not be shoulder to shoulder with men they don't know (more for distraction than anything I guess) but there is no actual rule. If one side is crowded then sit on the other. Or sit with your husband etc. If female. Nobody will stop you.

It's not anything religious at all I guess it's cultural.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Thanks for the reply! That is what I was leaning towards - it is something more cultural, or just a routine thing that has developed. Silkhism does not seem to concern itself with such nuances. And such gender segregation does not seem to fit with Sikh teachings.

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply! That is what I was leaning towards - it is something more cultural, or just a routine thing that has developed. Silkhism does not seem to concern itself with such nuances. And such gender segregation does not seem to fit with Sikh teachings.

Since there isn't any strict rule on this, and people are free to sit anywhere they feel comfortable, it probably doesn't qualify to be classified as gender segregation.

It probably evolved as a convenient practice or methodology to allow the sangat to feel most comfortable so that they could focus on the Shabad. Which, after all, is the most important thing to focus on in Guru Sahib's darbar, don't you think?

[AoG]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: