• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News School Tells Girl To Remove Cross Despite Allowing Sikh Kara

Sep 20, 2004
Lauren Grimshaw-Brown was told to take off a necklace with a cross on it due to health and safety reasons.

But the eight-year-old's mother Laina has accused the school of double standards because they allow children following other faiths to wear jewellery on religious grounds.

The mother-of-two says Lauren and brother Callan, five, have always worn crosses at St Peter's CE School in Chorley, Lancashire.

"We're a Christian family and my children wear the necklaces underneath their tops," she said. "On Thursday Lauren was told by a teacher to take it off because apparently they're not allowed to wear jewellery.

"I could understand it if it was a fashion accessory or a High School Musical necklace but it's part of our faith."

Mrs Grimshaw-Brown complained directly to the headteacher, Helen Wright, who referred the matter to the school's chairman of governors, Father Atherton, who upheld the ban.

"I received a letter in my child's reading folder," she added. "It said that if she had been a Sikh child she would be allowed to wear bangles because it's part of their religion.
"I've got absolutely no problem with any other religion wearing bangles or another item of jewellery but why can't my daughter wear a necklace with a cross? It's a church-led school.

"The necklace is designed to come apart if it snags. The school has suggested she wear a brooch but surely that's more dangerous because of the pin.

"Lauren was really upset by this and I feel very let down."

The school's letter to Mrs Grimshaw-Brown said: "The prospectus makes clear that jewellery may not be worn except for earrings and watches.

"This is because there have been incidences in schools where hooped earrings, bracelets and necklaces have caused injuries to children when caught in outdoor play or physical activity.

"The prospectus makes it clear that school will allow jewellery where it is a necessary part of the religious faith of the child i.e Sikh families must wear bangles as one of the five K's, the religious rules for dress."

Mrs Wright denied there was any discrimination against people following a Christian faith.

"We do want children to be proud of their Christian faith, therefore we would like to encourage them to wear crosses," she said.

"The best solution in this case for children to be kept safe would be for pupils to wear a brooch - in fact some children already do."

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
This is ridiculous. If we can wear the kara, the girl should be able to wear her cross.
The attempts of government officials to stamp out the wearing of articles of faith is silly.
Reeks of barely-concealed Stalinism- an attempt to make the Government/State the object of religious faith.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Behind such stories is an attempt to rouse people needlessly. There are those of a complex in the UK, that feel that immigrants are treated preferentialy to indigenous people.

This sentiment has ben exploited to great effect. The BNP (a neo nazi group) recently won 2 seats in the Euro parliament using such arguments and mobilising in disenchanted.

Stories such as these are used to justify their stance and vilify migrants.

How can a cross be compared to a kara? Behind the kakkars is clear purpose of easy identifiction which is a central theme in the Sikh faith i.e. not denying ones faith in testing times. It is important that Sikhs are readily identifiable. The kara is usually the last bastion of this principle. Where did Jesus ever say that Christians must wear across?

The end result of such stories is that resentful people find more of an excuse to hate.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
This is ridiculous. If we can wear the kara, the girl should be able to wear her cross.
The attempts of government officials to stamp out the wearing of articles of faith is silly.
Reeks of barely-concealed Stalinism- an attempt to make the Government/State the object of religious faith.

No no friend I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. Most schools ban much jewrly on helath and safety grounds, yet the Sikh 5 k's are projected by law. That is to say, here in the UK a school simply cannot ask a Sikh to remove any of their 5 K's, health and safety rules or not, it is not lawfull that they do so.

The Christian cruifix does not enjoy the same protection. I belive in this instance the school would love to ask Sikhs to remove the kara on the same health and safety grounds, but they cannot.

I don't see this as the school being nasty, the goverment protects the wearing of articles of faiht like our 5 k's, but the truth is a crucifix has never been such an article. Chrisitians wear them as an outward show of their faith, but their faith does not require then to do so.

There is no ill will here on the part of the school nor the goverment, indeed I would chalk this one up as yet another case of Christain persercution complex .

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Where did Jesus ever say that Christians must wear across?

Indeed, I have always though it an odd thing to do. To wear a symbol o fthe instrument of torture responsible for the death of your greatest prophet?

It would be like Sikhs wearing a small golden pot of hot oil in rememberance of a certian Sikh maryter.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Indeed, I have always though it an odd thing to do. To wear a symbol o fthe instrument of torture responsible for the death of your greatest prophet?

It would be like Sikhs wearing a small golden pot of hot oil in rememberance of a certian Sikh maryter.

I agree. I think the martyrdom of Christ being of paramount importance to early Christian preachers caused them to utilise a symbol for the faith that would constantly keep this in the mind of their flock. I wonder when it became undisputedly accepted as the corporate symbol of the faith? Was it very soon after Christs passing or sometime after? hhmmmm

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
As a former Roman Catholic, dalsingh and lee both ji, you are on the right track. The wearing of religious jewelry in no way is required and has not the same standing as a kara or dastar. It is a reminder of devotion; not a mark of religious identity. Wearing a cross would be more like wearing a Nishan Sahib pin on your turban, as does Snatam Kaur. Many if not most Christians do not wear any religious jewelry at all.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM