• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sarbat Da Bhalla

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Mostly when people pray, they have their own demands from their dieties. Sikhs pray to the One, who is called by different names by different people. In the Ardaas i.e. prayer, a sikh asks for Sarbat da bhala (sarbar=mankind, da=of, bhala=welfare) and not only his/her own bhala (welfare).

Regards.

Kirpal Singh

SPNer
Jul 23, 2006
I would be most grateful if someone would explain the Sikh philosophy of Sarbat da Bhalla - Welfare of mankind
This is a Guru Nanak'Doctrine of peace & goodwill for all creation inc.humankind by active participation in worship of ONE who is Creator of all & everything manifest & unmanifest around us,Labor & Charity to promote equal oppurtunity for all irrespective of gender,creed,color,caste ,religion ,race or national origin. Kirpal Singh

cherylyoung

SPNer
Aug 4, 2007
Mostly when people pray, they have their own demands from their dieties. Sikhs pray to the One, who is called by different names by different people. In the Ardaas i.e. prayer, a sikh asks for Sarbat da bhala (sarbar=mankind, da=of, bhala=welfare) and not only his/her own bhala (welfare).

Regards.
Is there a difference between an "Ardaas" prayer and a "Bani" (prayer)? Are these standardized prayers that an individual repeats verbatim?

What all does "bhalla" (welfare) include? physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, communal? Does it include peace between nations, tolerance between religions? Does is include intercession for earthquakes and tornados, rain in the desert and balanced ecology?

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Is there a difference between an "Ardaas" prayer and a "Bani" (prayer)? Are these standardized prayers that an individual repeats verbatim?

What all does "bhalla" (welfare) include? physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, communal? Does it include peace between nations, tolerance between religions? Does is include intercession for earthquakes and tornados, rain in the desert and balanced ecology?
Hi Cheryl Ji -
I am a new "convert" to Sikhism, but i believe Bani are prayers such as:
Japji
Jaap
Sohila
Rehraas sahib, etc.

Ardas is a prayer reminding onself of the the gurus, martyrs, and so on.

In Gurdwara, everyone stands and folds their hands for Ardas.

cherylyoung

SPNer
Aug 4, 2007
Hi Cheryl Ji -
I am a new "convert" to Sikhism, but i believe Bani are prayers such as:
Japji
Jaap
Sohila
Rehraas sahib, etc.

Ardas is a prayer reminding onself of the the gurus, martyrs, and so on.

In Gurdwara, everyone stands and folds their hands for Ardas.

Thank you for your response. I will look up the names of the Bani prayers that you listed.

Do you know what "bhalla" (welfare) means?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
The "welfare" includes everything what you have already listed above in your post. And you may like to extend sarbat to total existence and not only mankind.

Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM