• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sabd Guru’s Perspective On Human Life

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
SABD GURU’S PERSPECTIVE ON HUMAN LIFE

Sabd Guru’s teachings revolve around Truth and the recitation of Naam of the Absolute Principle called God. That Absolute Principle is the law of all things and events (Universal Laws of Mother Nature), which is the common ground of all creation. The Universal law is blind but evenhanded. All creation is a single whole, which works and unfolds according to that Principle. Human life follows the rule of cause and effect and according to the order of Absolute Principle as explained by Guru Arjan in Siri Raag:

ਹਰੀ ਨਾਹੀ ਨਹ ਡਡੁਰੀ ਪਕੀ ਵਢਣਹਾਰ ॥ਲੈ ਲੈ ਦਾਤ ਪਹੁਤਿਆ ਲਾਵੇ ਕਰਿ ਤਈਆਰੁ ॥ਜਾ ਹੋਆ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਕਿਰਸਾਣ ਦਾ ਤਾ ਲੁਣਿ ਮਿਣਿਆ ਖੇਤਾਰੁ ॥

Harī nāhī nah dadurī pakī vadẖaṇhār. Lai lai ḏāṯ pahuṯi¬ā lāvė kar ṯa¬ī¬ār. Jā ho¬ā hukam kirsāṇ ḏā ṯā luṇ miṇi¬ā kẖėṯār.

The Reaper does not look upon Its crop any as unripe, half-ripe or fully ripe. Picking up and wielding their sickles, the harvesters arrive. When the proprietor gives the order, they cut and measure the crop. -----Guru Arjan, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 43-10

By following the instructions honestly and truthfully with reflection contained in Sabd Guru, the rule of cause and effect may be annulled by becoming a Gurmukh;

ਭੂਲੇ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਜਿਨਹਿ ਬਤਾਇਆ ॥ ਐਸਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਮਨਾ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਚਿਤਾਰੇ ॥ ਬਸਿ ਰਹੇ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਨ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥ ਕਾਮਿ ਕ੍ਰੋਧਿ ਲੋਭਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਮਨੁ ਲੀਨਾ ॥ ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਗੁਰਿ ਕੀਨਾ ॥ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਕਰਤ ਜਨਮਿ ਫੁਨਿ ਮੂਆ ॥ ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਗੁਰਿ ਆਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਅਗਨਿ ਸਾਗਰ ਬੂਡਤ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਾਹ ਪਕਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ॥

Bẖūlė mārag jineh baṯā¬i¬ā. Aisā gur vadbẖāgī pā¬i¬ā. Simar manā rām nām cẖiṯārė. Bas rahė hirḏai gur cẖaran pi¬ārė. Kām kroḏẖ lobẖ mohi man līnā. Banḏẖan kāt mukaṯ gur kīnā. Ḏukẖ sukẖ karaṯ janam fun mū­ā. Cẖaran kamal gur āsram ḏī­ā. Agan sāgar būdaṯ sansārā. Nānak bāh pakar saṯgur nisṯārā.

The one who puts back the strayer on the Path; such a Guru is only found by great good fortune. Meditate; contemplate the Name of the Akal Purkh, O mind. The Beloved hymns of the Guru abide within my heart. The mind is engrossed in sexual desire, anger, greed and emotional attachment. Breaking my bonds, the Guru has liberated me. Experiencing pain and pleasure, one is born, only to die again.The Lotus Feet of the Guru bring peace and shelter. The world is drowning in the ocean of fire. O, Nanak, holding me by the arm, the True Guru has saved me.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 803

ਸੰਜੋਗੀ ਆਇਆ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਕਮਾਇਆ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਰ ਕਰਾਈ ॥

Sanjogī ā¬i¬ā kiraṯ kamā¬i¬ā karṇī kār karā¬ī.

By the good fortune of good deeds, you have come, and now you perform actions to determine your future. -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 75-3

ਗਨਿ ਮਿਨਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਮਨੈ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਰਪਰ ਚਲਨੋ ਲੋਗ ॥ਆਸ ਅਨਿਤ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਿਟੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਅਰੋਗ ॥

Gan min ḏėkẖhu manai māhi sarpar cẖalno log. Ās aniṯ gurmukẖ mitai Nānak nām arog.

See, that even after calculating and scheming in their minds, people must surely depart in the end. Hopes and desires for transitory things are erased for the Guru willed; O Nanak, the Name alone brings true health. -----Guru Arjan, Gauri Bawan Akhri, AGGS, Page, 254-1

ਜਗਿ ਜੀਵਨੁ ਐਸਾ ਸੁਪਨੇ ਜੈਸਾ ਜੀਵਨੁ ਸੁਪਨ ਸਮਾਨੰ ॥ ਸਾਚੁ ਕਰਿ ਹਮ ਗਾਠਿ ਦੀਨੀ ਛੋਡਿ ਪਰਮ ਨਿਧਾਨੰ ॥

Jag jīvan aisā supnė jaisā jīvan supan samānaʼn. Sācẖ kar ham gāṯẖ ḏīnī cẖẖod param niḏẖānaʼn.

The life in this world is like a dream; and like a dream is this life. Believing it to be true, we tie a knot around it, discarding the supreme treasure. -----Kabir, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 482-15

Guru Arjan in the mode of Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 374 explains that the puppet human body is designed very carefully, which is going to last for only a few days. Why one does not realize the basic truth of the origin of this body and just waste time in egoism? My daily requirement is 3 kilos of food grains, other things are entrusted to me temporarily. All its constituents of bones, blood etc. wrapped up in skin will become dust after death. That is the truth. We are proud of this mass of filth in our human frame. Of what is the human proud? This whole body is impure until and unless it understands the Akal Purkh through Guru’s instructions. Resulting spiritual attainment can lead to its purification.

Guru Arjan further clarifies this idea in Raag Asa:

ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥

Bẖa¬ī parāpaṯ mānukẖ ḏėhurī¬ā, Gobinḏ milaṇ kī ih ṯėrī barī¬ā.

This human body is given to you as a way to meet the Creator of the Universe.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page 12-6, & 378-1

The function of human body is to understand the message of the Sabd Guru and to implement it honestly and truthfully for union with Akal Purkh, through the wisdom of consciousness provided for this purpose otherwise the body itself a bundle of flesh having no spiritual value.

Guru Nanak, in Raag Suhi, explains how we get birth and death, AGGS, Page, 729-17

ਘਲੇ ਆਣੇ ਆਪਿ ਜਿਸੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਦੂਜਾ ਮਤੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ਢਾਹਿ ਉਸਾਰੇ ਸਾਜਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਸਭ ਸੋਇ ॥

Gẖalė āṇė āp jis nāhī ḏūjā maṯai ko¬ė. Dẖāhi usārė sāj jāṇai sabẖ so¬ė.

The God It self sends out, and recalls the mortal beings; no one else gives It advice and It self demolishes constructs, creates, and knows everything.
Guru Amardas in Raag Gujri points out the basis of union & separation:

ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਉਪਾਇਓਨੁ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟੀ ਕਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ॥ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਾਜੀਅਨੁ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥

Sanjog vijog upā¬i¬on saristī kā mūl racẖā¬i¬ā. Hukmī sarisat sājī¬an joṯī joṯ milā¬i¬ā.

Creating union and separation, Akal Purkh laid the foundations of the Universe. By The Command of Its Light It fashioned the Universe.
-----Guru Amardas, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 509-9

ਜੇਹਾ ਚੀਰੀ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਤੇਹਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥ਘਲੇ ਆਵਹਿ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਸਦੇ ਉਠੀ ਜਾਹਿ ॥

Jėhā cẖīrī likẖi¬ā ṯėhā hukam kamāhi. Gẖalė āvahi nānkā saḏė uṯẖī jāhi.

As Akal Purkh’s Decree is issued, Its Command is obeyed. Those who are sent, come, O Nanak; when they are called back, they depart and go.
-----Guru Angad, Raag Sarang, AGGS, Page, 1239-9

ਕੀਤਾ ਕਰਣਾ ਸਰਬ ਰਜਾਈ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਚੈ ਜੇ ਕਰਿ ਸਕੀਐ ॥ ਆਪਣਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਕਿਛੂ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਜਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਉ ਰਖੀਐ ॥

Kīṯā karṇā sarab rajā¬ī kicẖẖ kīcẖai jė kar sakī¬ai. Āpṇā kīṯā kicẖẖū na hovai ji¬o har bẖāvai ṯi¬o rakẖī¬ai.

All that happens, and all that will happen, is by Its Will. If we could do something by ourselves, we would. By ourselves, we cannot do anything at all. As it pleases the Akal Purkh, It preserves us. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Suhi, AGGS, Page, 736-3

ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਥੀਆ ॥ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਆਨ ਬੀਆ ॥

Jo ṯis bẖāvai so thī¬ā. Saḏā saḏā har kī sarṇā¬ī parabẖ bin nāhī ān bī¬ā.

Whatever pleases the Akal Purkh happens. Forever and ever, I seek Its Sanctuary, as there is none other than God. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Ram kali, AGGS, Page, 900-7

Guru Arjan in Raag Ramkali explains about life:

ਪਵਨੈ ਮਹਿ ਪਵਨੁ ਸਮਾਇਆ॥ਜੋਤੀ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਰਲਿ ਜਾਇਆ॥ਮਾਟੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਹੋਈ ਏਕ॥ਰੋਵਨਹਾਰੇ ਕੀ ਕਵਨ ਟੇਕ ॥

Pavnai meh pavan samā¬i¬ā. Joṯī meh joṯ ral jā¬i¬ā. Mātī mātī ho¬ī ėk. Rovanhārė kī kavan tėk.

The wind merges into the wind. The light blends into the light. The dust becomes one with the dust. What support is there for the one who is lamenting?
-----Guru Arjan, Raag, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 885-12

ਕਉਨੁ ਮੂਆ ਰੇ ਕਉਨੁ ਮੂਆ ॥ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ਇਹੁ ਤਉ ਚਲਤੁ ਭਇਆ ॥ਅਗਲੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਖਬਰਿ ਨ ਪਾਈ ॥ਰੋਵਨਹਾਰੁ ਭਿ ਊਠਿ ਸਿਧਾਈ ॥ਭਰਮ ਮੋਹ ਕੇ ਬਾਂਧੇ ਬੰਧ ॥ਸੁਪਨੁ ਭਇਆ ਭਖਲਾਏ ਅੰਧ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਤਉ ਰਚਨੁ ਰਚਿਆ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ ॥ਆਵਤ ਜਾਵਤ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਅਪਾਰਿ ॥ਨਹ ਕੋ ਮੂਆ ਨ ਮਰਣੈ ਜੋਗੁ ॥ਨਹ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਹੋਗੁ ॥ਜੋ ਇਹੁ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਸੋ ਇਹੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥ਜਾਨਣਹਾਰੇ ਕਉ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਉ ॥ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਇਆ ॥ਨਾ ਕੋਈ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇਆ ॥

Ka¬un mū¬ā rė ka¬un mū¬ā. Barahm gi¬ānī mil karahu bīcẖārā ih ṯa¬o cẖalaṯ bẖa¬i¬ā. Aglī kicẖẖ kẖabar na pā¬ī. Rovanhār bẖe ūṯẖ siḏẖā¬ī. Bẖaram moh kė bāʼnḏẖė banḏẖ. Supan bẖa¬i¬ā bẖakẖlā¬ė anḏẖ. Ih ṯa¬o racẖan racẖi¬ā karṯār.Āvaṯ jāvaṯ hukam apār.Nah ko mū¬ā na marṇai jog.Nah binsai abẖināsī hog. Jo ih jāṇhu so ih nāhi.Jānaṇhārė ka¬o bal jā¬o.Kaho Nānak gur bẖaram cẖukā¬i¬ā.Nā ko¬ī marai na āvai jā¬i¬ā.

Who has died? O, who has died? O God-realized beings meet together and consider this. What a wondrous thing has happened! No one knows what happens after death. The one who is lamenting will also arise and depart. The bonds of doubt and attachment bind mortal beings. When life becomes a dream, the blind man babbles and grieves in vain. The Creator created this creation. It comes and goes, subject to the Will of the Infinite Akal Purkh. No one dies; no one is capable of dying. The soul does not perish; it is imperishable. What is known, that does not exist. I am a sacrifice to the one who knows this. Says Nanak, the Guru has dispelled my doubt. No one dies; no one comes or goes. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 885

Guru Nanak describes in Raag Gauri who dies:

ਦੇਹੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਬੋਲੈ ਪਉਣੁ ॥ਬੁਝੁ ਰੇ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਮੂਆ ਹੈ ਕਉਣੁ ॥ਮੂਈ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਬਾਦੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ॥ਓਹੁ ਨ ਮੂਆ ਜੋ ਦੇਖਣਹਾਰੁ ॥ਹਉ ਨ ਮੂਆ ਮੇਰੀ ਮੁਈ ਬਲਾਇ ॥ਓਹੁ ਨ ਮੂਆ ਜੋ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥ ਮਰਤਾ ਜਾਤਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਇਆ ॥

Ḏėhī mātī bolai pa¬uṇ.Bujẖ rė gi¬ānī mū¬ā hai ka¬uṇ.Mū¬ī suraṯ bāḏ ahaʼnkār.Oh na mū¬ā jo ḏėkẖaṇhār. Jai kāraṇ ṯat ṯirath jāhī.Raṯan paḏārath gẖat hī māhī.Paṛ paṛ pandiṯ bāḏ vakẖāṇai.Bẖīṯar hoḏī vasaṯ na jāṇai. Ha¬o na mū¬ā mėrī mu¬ī balā¬ė.Oh na mū¬ā jo rahi¬ā samā¬ė.Kaho Nānak gur barahm ḏikẖā¬i¬ā.Marṯā jāṯā naḏar na ā¬i¬ā.

The body is dust; the wind speaks through it. Understand, O wise one, who has died. Awareness, conflict and ego have died, but the One who sees does not die. I have not died -- that evil nature within me has died. The One who is pervading everywhere does not die. Says Nanak, the Guru has revealed God to me, and now I see that there is no such thing as birth or death.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152

Guru Nanak, in Raag Asa Astpadia Kafi, ponders on crying after death in AGGS, Page, 418

ਓਹੀ ਓਹੀ ਕਿਆ ਕਰਹੁ ਹੈ ਹੋਸੀ ਸੋਈ ॥ਤੁਮ ਰੋਵਹੁਗੇ ਓਸ ਨੋ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਉ ਕਉਣੁ ਰੋਈ ॥ਧੰਧਾ ਪਿਟਿਹੁ ਭਾਈਹੋ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕੂੜੁ ਕਮਾਵਹੁ ॥ਓਹੁ ਨ ਸੁਣਈ ਕਤ ਹੀ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਲੋਕ ਸੁਣਾਵਹੁ ॥

Ohī ohī ki¬ā karahu hai hosī so¬ī.Ŧum rovhugė os no ṯumĥ ka¬o ka¬uṇ ro¬ī. Ḏẖanḏẖā pitihu bẖā¬īho ṯumĥ kūṛ kamāvahu.Oh na suṇ¬ī kaṯ hī ṯumĥ lok suṇavhu.

Oh, human beings, why are you crying and wailing at the loss of near and dear ones, the conscience is immortal and lives forever? You mourn for that person, but who will mourn for you? You are engrossed in worldly entanglements, O Siblings of Destiny, and you are practicing falsehood. The dead person does not hear anything at all; your cries are heard by others and are meant for other people to show your love for the dead person.

Kabir satirizes the grief of the relatives of the dead:

ਜੀਵਤ ਪਿਤਰ ਨ ਮਾਨੈ ਕੋਊ ਮੂਏਂ ਸਿਰਾਧ ਕਰਾਹੀ ॥

Jīvaṯ piṯar na mānai ko¬ū mū¬ėʼn sirāḏẖ karāhī.

Individuals do not honor their ancestors while they are alive, but they hold feasts in their honor after they have died. -----Kabir, Raag Gauri Cheti, AGGS, Page, 332-10

ਅਵਰ ਮੂਏ ਕਿਆ ਸੋਗੁ ਕਰੀਜੈ ॥ ਤਉ ਕੀਜੈ ਜਉ ਆਪਨ ਜੀਜੈ ॥

Avar mū¬ė ki¬ā sog karījai. Ŧa¬o kījai ja¬o āpan jījai.

Why do you cry and mourn, when another person dies? Do so only if you yourself are to live.
-----Kabir, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 325-15

Guru Arjan describes in Raag Bhario, the value of the body after death:

ਜੇ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਉ ਚੰਦਨੁ ਚੜਾਵੈ ॥ਉਸ ਤੇ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਵਨ ਫਲ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ਜੇ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਉ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਰੁਲਾਈ ॥ਤਾਂ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਜਾਈ ॥

Jė mirṯak ka¬o cẖanḏan cẖaṛāvai.Us ṯė kahhu kavan fal pāvai.Jė mirṯak ka¬o bistā māhi rulā¬ī.Ŧāʼn mirṯak kā ki¬ā gẖat jā¬ī.

If a corpse is anointed with sandalwood oil, what good does it do? If a corpse is rolled in manure, what does it lose from this? -----Guru Arjan, Raag Bhairo, AGGS, Page, 1160-9 & 10

Guru Nanak explains in Raag Sorath, what happens to the body after death?

ਇਕ ਦਝਹਿ ਇਕ ਦਬੀਅਹਿ ਇਕਨਾ ਕੁਤੇ ਖਾਹਿ ॥ਇਕਿ ਪਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਉਸਟੀਅਹਿ ਇਕਿ ਭੀ ਫਿਰਿ ਹਸਣਿ ਪਾਹਿ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵ ਨ ਜਾਪਈ ਕਿਥੈ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਹਿ ॥

Ik ḏajẖeh ik ḏabī¬ah iknā kuṯė kẖāhi.Ik pāṇī vicẖ ustī¬ah ik bẖī fir hasaṇ pāhi. Nānak ėv na jāp¬ī kithai jā¬ė samāhi.

Some are cremated, some are buried, dogs eat some, and some are thrown into water, while others are thrown into wells. O Nanak, it is not known, where they go and into what they merge.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 648-12

Guru Nanak, ponders in Raag Malar on the next life, AGGS, Page, 1289-6:

ਕਹਾਂ ਤੇ ਆਇਆ ਕਹਾਂ ਏਹੁ ਜਾਣੁ ॥ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਤ ਰਹੈ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ਹੁਕਮੈ ਬੂਝੈ ਤਤੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਪਰਸਾਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੇ ਜਾਣੈ ॥

Kahāʼn ṯė ā¬i¬ā kahāʼn ėhu jāṇ.Jīvaṯ maraṯ rahai parvāṇ.Hukmai būjẖai ṯaṯ pacẖẖāṇai.Ih parsāḏ gurū ṯė jāṇai.

Where has he come from, and where will he go? Remaining dead while yet alive is accepted and approved. Whoever understands the Akal Purkh's Command, realizes the essence of reality, only known by Guru's Grace.

Guru Nanak ponders in Ragas Gauri & Sarang:

ਜਾਤੋ ਜਾਇ ਕਹਾ ਤੇ ਆਵੈ ॥ ਕਹ ਉਪਜੈ ਕਹ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥ ਕਿਉ ਬਾਧਿਓ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਕਤੀ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਕਿਉ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥

Jāṯo jā¬ė kahā ṯė āvai.Kah upjai kah jā¬ė samāvai.Ki¬o bāḏẖi¬o ki¬o mukṯī pāvai. Ki¬o abẖināsī sahj samāvai.

How can we know where we came from? Where did we originate, and where will we go and merge? How are we bound, and how do we obtain liberation? How do we merge with intuitive ease into the Eternal, Akal Purkh? -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152-15

ਕੇਤਿਆ ਕੇ ਬਾਪ ਕੇਤਿਆ ਕੇ ਬੇਟੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਗੁਰ ਚੇਲੇ ਹੂਏ ॥ ਆਗੈ ਪਾਛੈ ਗਣਤ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਕਿਆ ਜਾਤੀ ਕਿਆ ਹੁਣਿ ਹੂਏ ॥

Keṯi▫ā ke bāp keṯi▫ā ke bete keṯe gur cẖele hū▫e.Āgai pācẖẖai gaṇaṯ na āvai ki¬ā jāṯī ki¬ā huṇ hū¬ė.

They become the fathers of many, and the sons of many; they become the gurus of many, and the disciples. No account can be made of the future or the past; who knows what shall be, or what was? -----Guru Nanak, Raag Sarang Ki Vaar, AGGS, Page, 1238-14

Kabir in Raag Gond on Soul, AGGS, Page, 870;

ਮੋਹਿ ਬੈਰਾਗੁ ਭਇਓ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਜੀਉ ਆਇ ਕਹਾ ਗਇਓ॥ਪੰਚ ਤਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਾਇਆ ਕੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਤਤੁ ਕਹਾ ਤੇ ਕੀਨੁ ਰੇ ॥ਕਰਮ ਬਧ ਤੁਮ ਜੀਉ ਕਹਤ ਹੌ ਕਰਮਹਿ ਕਿਨਿ ਜੀਉ ਦੀਨੁ ਰੇ ॥

Mohi bairāg bẖa▫i▫o. Ih jī▫o ā▫e kahā ga▫i▫o. Pancẖ ṯaṯ mil kā▫i▫ā kīnĥī ṯaṯ kahā ṯe kīn re. Karam baḏẖ ṯum jī▫o kahaṯ hou karmėh kin jī▫o ḏīn re.

I have become sad, wondering where the soul comes from, and where it goes. The body is formed from the union of the five tatvas; but where were the five tatvas created? You say that the soul is tied to its karma, but who gave karma to the body?
Guru Nanak Answers in Raag Gauri:

ਸਹਜੇ ਆਵੈ ਸਹਜੇ ਜਾਇ॥ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਉਪਜੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤੋ ਬੰਧੁ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ਛੁਟੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਇ ॥ Sehjė āvai sehjė jā¬ė.Man ṯė upjai man māhi samā¬ė.Gurmukẖ mukṯo banḏẖ na pā¬ė.Sabaḏ bīcẖār cẖẖutai har nā¬ė.

With intuitive ease, we come, and with intuitive ease, we depart. From the mind, we originate, and into the mind, we are absorbed. As Guru willed, we are liberated, and are not bound. Contemplating the Word of the Sabd, we are emancipated through the Name of the Akal Purkh.

ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਮੂਏ ਕਿਉ ਪੂਰਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

Sabaḏ marai fir maraṇ na ho¬ė. Bin mū¬ė ki¬o pūrā ho¬ė.

One, who dies in the Word of the Sabd, shall never again have to die. Without such a death, how can one attain perfection? -----Guru Nanak Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152 & 153

Finally Guru Nanak leaves it up to God in Raag Gauri:

ਕਿਰਤੁ ਪਇਆ ਨਹ ਮੇਟੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ਕਿਆ ਜਾਣਾ ਕਿਆ ਆਗੈ ਹੋਇ ॥ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਣਾ ਸੋਈ ਹੂਆ ॥ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕਰਣੈ ਵਾਲਾ ਦੂਆ ॥ਨਾ ਜਾਣਾ ਕਰਮ ਕੇਵਡ ਤੇਰੀ ਦਾਤਿ ॥ਕਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਜਾਤਿ ॥
Kiraṯ pa¬i¬ā nah mėtai ko¬ė.Ki¬ā jāṇā ki¬ā āgai ho¬ė.Jo ṯis bẖāṇā so¬ī hū¬ā.Avar na karṇai vālā ḏū¬ā. Nā jāṇā karam kėvad ṯėrī ḏāṯ.Karam ḏẖaram ṯėrė nām kī jāṯ.

Past actions cannot be erased. What do we know of what will happen hereafter? Whatever pleases the Akal Purkh shall happen. There is no other Doer. I do not know about karma, or how great Your gifts are. The karma of actions, the righteousness, social class and status, are contained within Your Name. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 154-1 & 2

ਹਮ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਜਾਨਹ ਆਗੈ ਜਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਖੈ ਤਿਉ ਠਾਢੇ ॥ ਹਮ ਭੂਲ ਚੂਕ ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰਹੁ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੁਤਰੇ ਕਾਢੇ ॥

Ham jāni¬ā kacẖẖū na jānah āgai ji¬o har rākẖai ṯi¬o ṯẖādẖė. Ham bẖūl cẖūk gur kirpā ḏẖārahu jan Nānak kuṯrė kādẖė.

I know nothing, and I do not know the future; as the Akal Purkh keeps me, so do I stand. For my failings and mistakes, O Guru, grant me Your Grace; servant Nanak is Your obedient dog.
-----Guru Ram Das, Raag Gauri Poorbi, AGGS, Page, 171-5

Guru Arjan in Raag Maru ponders on the subject;

ਆਗਾਹਾ ਕੂ ਤ੍ਰਾਘਿ ਪਿਛਾ ਫੇਰਿ ਨ ਮੁਹਡੜਾ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਿਝਿ ਇਵੇਹਾ ਵਾਰ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਹੋਵੀ ਜਨਮੜਾ ॥

Āgāhā kū ṯarāgẖ picẖẖā fėr na muhadṛā. Nānak sijẖ ivėhā vār bahuṛ na hovī janamṛā.

Look ahead; don't look back over your shoulders to the past. O Nanak, be successful this time, as there is no birth again. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Maru-Dakhnay, AGGS, Page, 1096-12

Baba Sundar was the great grandson of Guru Amardas, who wrote Ramkali Sad on the death of his grand father. The poem Sadu (ਸਦੁ) means call, and Guru Amardas was being recalled by God Almighty. The poem describes how the Guru Ramdas completely surrendered himself to the Will of the Supreme Being, being absorbed in meditation on the name and how he told his family to abide by the Will of the Akal Purkh and not to weep after him but to sing the praises of the God by reciting the holy hymns.

ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰੂ ਅੰਗਦ ਪਰਮ ਪਦਵੀ ਪਾਵਹੇ ॥ਆਇਆ ਹਕਾਰਾ ਚਲਣਵਾਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥ਹਰਿ ਭਾਣਾ ਗੁਰ ਭਾਇਆ ਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਪਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਕਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਹਿ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਪੈਜ ਰਖਹੁ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ਪੈਜ ਰਾਖਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਨਹ ਕੇਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਦੇਹੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੋ ॥ ਅੰਤਿ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਹੋਇ ਬੇਲੀ ਜਮਦੂਤ ਕਾਲੁ ਨਿਖੰਜਨੋ ॥ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਪਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ॥ ਹਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ਧਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਕਹੈ ਸਾਬਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ਮੇਰੇ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਪੁਤ ਭਾਈਹੋ ਮੇਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਣਾ ਆਉ ਮੈ ਪਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ਹਰਿ ਭਾਣਾ ਗੁਰ ਭਾਇਆ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਕਰੇ ਸਾਬਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ਤੁਸੀ ਪੁਤ ਭਾਈ ਪਰਵਾਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨਿ ਵੇਖਹੁ ਕਰਿ ਨਿਰਜਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ਧੁਰਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਪਰਵਾਣਾ ਫਿਰੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਇ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਪਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭਾਣੈ ਆਪਣੈ ਬਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਰੁ ਸਦਾਇਆ ॥ਮਤ ਮੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਕੋਈ ਰੋਵਸੀ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਭਾਇਆ ॥ਮਿਤੁ ਪੈਝੈ ਮਿਤੁ ਬਿਗਸੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਿਤ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਭਾਵਏ ਤੁਸੀ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਪੁਤ ਭਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਪੈਨਾਵਏ ॥ਅੰਤੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਮੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਕਰਿਅਹੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੁ ਜੀਉ ॥ਹਰਿ ਕਥਾ ਪੜੀਐ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਬੇਬਾਣੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੁ ਗੁਰ ਭਾਵਏ ॥

Parsāḏ Nānak gurū angaḏ param paḏvī pāvhė.Ā¬i¬ā hakārā cẖalaṇvārā har rām nām samā¬i¬ā.Jag amar atal aṯol ṯẖākur bẖagaṯ ṯė har pā¬i¬ā. Saṯgur karė har peh bėnṯī mėrī paij rakẖahu arḏās jī¬o.Paij rākẖo har janah kėrī har ḏėh nām niranjano.Anṯ cẖalḏi¬ā ho¬ė bėlī jamḏūṯ kāl nikẖanjano.Saṯgurū kī bėnṯī pā¬ī har parabẖ suṇī arḏās jī¬o.Har ḏẖār kirpā saṯgur milā¬i¬ā ḏẖan ḏẖan kahai sābās jī¬o. Mėrė sikẖ suṇhu puṯ bẖā¬īho mėrai har bẖāṇā ā¬o mai pās jī¬o.Har bẖāṇā gur bẖā¬i¬ā mėrā har parabẖ karė sābās jī¬o.Bẖagaṯ saṯgur purakẖ so¬ī jis har parabẖ bẖāṇā bẖāv¬ė.Ānanḏ anhaḏ vajeh vājė har āp gal mėlāva¬ė.Ŧusī puṯ bẖā¬ī parvār mėrā man vėkẖhu kar nirjās jī¬o.Ḏẖur likẖi¬ā parvāṇā firai nāhī gur jā¬ė har parabẖ pās jī¬o. Saṯgur bẖāṇai āpṇai bahi parvār saḏā¬i¬ā.Maṯ mai picẖẖai ko¬ī rovsī so mai mūl na bẖā¬i¬ā.Miṯ paijẖai miṯ bigsai jis miṯ kī paij bẖāv¬ė.Ŧusī vīcẖār ḏėkẖhu puṯ bẖā¬ī har saṯgurū paināva¬ė.Saṯgurū parṯakẖ hoḏai bahi rāj āp tikā¬i¬ā.Sabẖ sikẖ banḏẖap puṯ bẖā¬ī Rāmḏās pairī pā¬i¬ā. Anṯė saṯgur boli¬ā mai picẖẖai kīrṯan kari¬ahu nirbāṇ jī¬o.Kėso gopāl pandiṯ saḏi¬ahu har har kathā paṛeh purāṇ jī¬o.Har kathā paṛī¬ai har nām suṇī¬ai bėbāṇ har rang gur bẖāv¬ė.

By the Grace of Guru Nanak and Guru Angad, Guru Amar Das obtained the supreme status. In addition, when the call came for the Akal Purkh to depart, He merged with the Its Name. The Guru gladly accepted the It's Will, and so the Guru easily reached the God's Presence. The True Guru prays to the Akal Purkh, "Please, save my honor". Please save the honor of Your humble servant, please bless him with Your Immaculate Name. At this time of final departure, it is our only help and support; it destroys death, and the Messenger of Death. The God heard the prayer of the True Guru, and granted His request, and showered Its Mercy, and blended the True Guru with Itself; and said, "Blessed! Blessed! Wonderful!" Listen O my Sikhs, my children and Siblings of Destiny; it is my God's Will that I must now go. The Guru gladly accepted the It's Will, and my God applauded Him. O my children, siblings and family, look carefully in your minds, and see. The pre-ordained death warrant cannot be avoided; the Guru is going to be with the God. The True Guru, in His Own Sweet Will, sat up and summoned His family. Let no one weep for me after I am gone. That would not please me at all. When a friend receives a robe of honor, then his friends are pleased with his honor. Consider this and see, O my children and siblings; the Akal Purkh has given the True Guru the robe of supreme honor. Finally, the True Guru said, "When I am gone, sing Kirtan in Its Praise, in Nirvaanaa". Read the sermon of the God, and listen to the It's Name; the Guru is pleased with love for the Akal Purkh.
-----Baba Sundar, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 923& 924

Guru Nanak explains in Sohila the date of death:

ਸੰਬਤਿ ਸਾਹਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਤੇਲੁ ॥ਦੇਹੁ ਸਜਣ ਅਸੀਸੜੀਆ ਜਿਉ ਹੋਵੈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਿਉ ਮੇਲੁ ॥ਘਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਏਹੋ ਪਾਹੁਚਾ ਸਦੜੇ ਨਿਤ ਪਵੰਨਿ ॥ਸਦਣਹਾਰਾ ਸਿਮਰੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੇ ਦਿਹ ਆਵੰਨਿ ॥

Sambaṯ sāhā likẖi¬ā mil kar pāvhu ṯėl. Ḏėh sajaṇ asīsṛī¬ā ji¬o hovai sāhib si¬o mėl. Gẖar gẖar ėho pāhucẖā saḏ¬ṛė niṯ pavann. Saḏaṇhārā simrī¬ai Nānak sė ḏih āvann.

The day of wedding (death) is pre-ordained. Come, together and pour the oil over the threshold. Oh friends give your blessings that I may merge with my Akal Purkh. This call is sent out daily un to each home. Remember in meditation the One who summons us; O Nanak, that day is drawing near! -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri Poorbi, AGGS, Page, 157

Guru Tegh Bahadur ponders about the temporary relationships in this world in Raag Sorath, Sarang and his Sloke:

ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਜਾਨਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹੀ ॥ਅਪਨੇ ਸੁਖ ਸਿਉ ਹੀ ਜਗੁ ਫਾਂਧਿਓ ਕੋ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ਸੁਖ ਮੈ ਆਨਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਬੈਠਤ ਰਹਤ ਚਹੂ ਦਿਸਿ ਘੇਰੈ ॥ਬਿਪਤਿ ਪਰੀ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਸੰਗੁ ਛਾਡਿਤ ਕੋਊ ਨ ਆਵਤ ਨੇਰੈ ॥ ਘਰ ਕੀ ਨਾਰਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਹਿਤੁ ਜਾ ਸਿਉ ਸਦਾ ਰਹਤ ਸੰਗ ਲਾਗੀ ॥ਜਬ ਹੀ ਹੰਸ ਤਜੀ ਇਹ ਕਾਂਇਆ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਗੀ ॥ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ ਬਨਿਓ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਸਿਉ ਨੇਹੁ ਲਗਾਇਓ ॥ਅੰਤ ਬਾਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਜੀ ਕੋਊ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਇਓ ॥

Parīṯam jān lėho man māhī. Apnė sukẖ si¬o hī jag fāʼnḏẖi¬o ko kāhū ko nāhī. Sukẖ mai ān bahuṯ mil baiṯẖaṯ rahaṯ cẖahū ḏis gẖėrai.Bipaṯ parī sabẖ hī sang cẖẖādiṯ ko¬ū na āvaṯ nėrai. Gẖar kī nār bahuṯ hiṯ jā si¬o saḏā rahaṯ sang lāgī. Jab hī hans ṯajī ih kāʼn¬i¬ā parėṯ parėṯ kar bẖāgī. Ih biḏẖ ko bi¬uhār bani¬o hai jā si¬o nėhu lagā¬i¬o.Anṯ bār Nānak bin har jī ko¬ū kām na ā¬i¬o.

O, dear friend, bear this in your mind. The world is entangled in its own pleasures; no one is for anyone else. In good times, many come and sit together, surrounding you on all four sides. However, when hard times come, they all leave, and no one comes near you. Your wife, whom you love so much, and who has remained ever attached to you, also runs away crying, "Ghost! Ghost!", as soon as the swan-soul leaves this body. This is the way they act - those whom we love so much. At the very last moment, O Nanak, no one is any use at all, except the Dear Lord.
-----Guru Tegh Bahadur, Raag Sorath, Page, 634-1

Guru Arjan in Raag Bilawal:

ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸੁਤ ਸਾਥਿ ਨ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਸਭੁ ਦੂਖੁ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ॥

Māṯ piṯā suṯ sāth na mā¬i¬ā. Sāḏẖsang sabẖ ḏūkẖ mitā¬i¬ā.

In the Company of the Holy, all pain is dispelled. Mother, father, children and the wealth of Maya, will not go along with you. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 804-7

Guru Tegh Bahadur in Raag Sarang:

ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਕੋ ਨ ਸਹਾਈ ॥ਕਾਂ ਕੀ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸੁਤ ਬਨਿਤਾ ਕੋ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਧਨੁ ਧਰਨੀ ਅਰੁ ਸੰਪਤਿ ਸਗਰੀ ਜੋ ਮਾਨਿਓ ਅਪਨਾਈ ॥ਤਨ ਛੂਟੈ ਕਛੁ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਚਾਲੈ ਕਹਾ ਤਾਹਿ ਲਪਟਾਈ ॥
Har bin ṯėro ko na sahā¬ī. Kāʼn kī māṯ piṯā suṯ baniṯā ko kāhū ko bẖā¬ī. Ḏẖan ḏẖarnī ar sampaṯ sagrī jo māni¬o apnā¬ī. Ŧan cẖẖūtai kacẖẖ sang na cẖālai kahā ṯāhi laptā¬ī.

No one will be your help and support, except the Akal Purkh. Who has any mother, father, child or spouse? Who is anyone's brother or sister? All the wealth, land and property, which you consider your own, when you leave your body, none of it shall go along with you. Why do you cling to them? -----Guru Tegh Bahadur, Raag Sarang, AGGS, Page, 1231-8

ਨਿਜ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖਿਓ ਜਗਤੁ ਮੈ ਕੋ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ ਨਾਹਿ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰੁ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੈ ਤਿਹ ਰਾਖੋ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥

Nij kar ḏėkẖi¬o jagaṯ mai ko kāhū ko nāhi. Nānak thir har bẖagaṯ hai ṯih rākẖo man māhi.

I had looked upon the world as my own, but no one belongs to anyone else. O, Nanak, only devotional worship of the Akal Purkh is permanent; enshrine this in your mind.
-----Sloke Guru Tegh Bahadur 48, AGGS, Page, 1429-1

What keeps us constantly struggling in life is the attitude of non-acceptance, of not trusting the basic process of life unfolding. We suffer under the false assumption that the goal of life is to always avoid what we find unpleasant and to try to dwell in constant comfort.

ਮਾਤਾ ਪਿਤ ਭਾਈ ਸੁਤ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਸੰਪੈ ਨਾਰੇ ॥ ਸਾਇਰ ਕੀ ਪੁਤ੍ਰੀ ਪਰਹਰਿ ਤਿਆਗੀ ਚਰਣ ਤਲੈ ਵੀਚਾਰੇ ॥

Māṯā piṯ bẖā¬ī suṯ cẖaṯurā¬ī sang na sampai nārė. Sā¬ir kī puṯrī parhar ṯi¬āgī cẖaraṇ ṯalai vīcẖārė.

Mother, father, family, children, cleverness, property and spouses -- none of these shall go with you. I have renounced Maya, the daughter of the ocean; reflecting upon reality, I have trampled it under my feet. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 437-11

ਦੇਖਹਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਆਪਣਾ ਧਰਿ ਕਚੀ ਪਕੀ ਸਾਰੀਐ ॥ਜੋ ਆਇਆ ਸੋ ਚਲਸੀ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ ਆਈ ਵਾਰੀਐ ॥

Ḏėkẖeh kīṯā āpṇā ḏẖar kacẖī pakī sārī¬ai. Jo ā¬i¬ā so cẖalsī sabẖ ko¬ī ā¬ī vārī¬ai.

You behold Your creation, like the losing and winning dice of the earth. Whoever has come shall depart; all shall have their turn. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, Page, 474-2

Kabir Sloke:

ਕਬੀਰ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਹਉ ਫਿਰਿਓ ਮਾਂਦਲੁ ਕੰਧ ਚਢਾਇ ॥ ਕੋਈ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ ਨਹੀ ਸਭ ਦੇਖੀ ਠੋਕਿ ਬਜਾਇ ॥

Kabīr sabẖ jag ha¬o firi¬o māʼnḏal kanḏẖ cẖadẖā¬ė. Ko¬ī kāhū ko nahī sabẖ ḏėkẖī ṯẖok bajā¬ė.

Kabir, I have wandered all over the world, carrying the drum on my shoulder. No one belongs to anyone else; I have looked and carefully studied it
-----Kabir Sloke 113, AGGS, Page, 1370-9 & 10

Conclusion:

ਭਾਣੇ ਤੇ ਸਭਿ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਵੈ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਅੰਤੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਖਾਈ ॥ ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰਣਾ ਸੋ ਕਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕਰਣਾ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਆਪੇ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਏ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਈ ॥
Bẖāṇė ṯė sabẖ sukẖ pāvai sanṯahu anṯė nām sakẖā¬ī. Jo kicẖẖ karṇā so kar rahi¬ā avar na karṇā jā¬ī. Āpė ḏukẖ sukẖ pā¬ė anṯar āpė bẖaram bẖulā¬ī.

One who accepts the Akal Purkh's Will obtains total peace, O Saints; in the end, the Naam will be our help and support. Whatever It wants to do, It is doing; no one else can do anything. God Itself infuses pain and pleasure; and makes them wander around in doubt.
-----Guru Amar Das, Raag Ram kali, AGGS, Page, 910 & 912

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਭਾਣਾ ਹੋਆ ਕਹਣਾ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥

Kahai Nānak har kā bẖāṇā ho¬ā kahṇā kacẖẖū na jā¬ī.

Says Nanak, everything happens according to the Will of the Akal Purkh; no one has any say in this at all. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 490-14

ਆਪੁ ਮੇਟਿ ਪਏ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਇਹ ਮਤਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਕਹੀ ॥ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਆਗਿਆ ਮਾਨਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਭਰਮੁ ਅਧੇਰਾ ਲਹੀ ॥

Āp mėt pa¬ė sarṇā¬ī ih maṯ sāḏẖū kahī. Parabẖ kī āgi¬ā mān sukẖ pā¬i¬ā bẖaram aḏẖėrā lahī.

Erasing my self-conceit, I have entered Akal Purkh’s Sanctuary; these are the Teachings spoken by the Holy Guru. By accepting, the Will of God dispels darkness of doubt and mind is at peace.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Devgandgari, AGGS, Page, 529-16

Kabir ponders on the human life in Raag Bilawal:

ਐਸੋ ਇਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਪੇਖਨਾ ਰਹਨੁ ਨ ਕੋਊ ਪਈਹੈ ਰੇ ॥ਸੂਧੇ ਸੂਧੇ ਰੇਗਿ ਚਲਹੁ ਤੁਮ ਨਤਰ ਕੁਧਕਾ ਦਿਵਈਹੈ ਰੇ ॥ ਬਾਰੇ ਬੂਢੇ ਤਰੁਨੇ ਭਈਆ ਸਭਹੂ ਜਮੁ ਲੈ ਜਈਹੈ ਰੇ ॥ਮਾਨਸੁ ਬਪੁਰਾ ਮੂਸਾ ਕੀਨੋ ਮੀਚੁ ਬਿਲਈਆ ਖਈਹੈ ਰੇ ॥

Aiso ih sansār pėkẖnā rahan na ko¬ū pa¬īhai rė. Sūḏẖė sūḏẖė rėg cẖalhu ṯum naṯar kuḏẖkā ḏiva¬īhai rė. Bārė būdẖė ṯarunė bẖa¬ī¬ā sabẖhū jam lai ja¬īhai rė. Mānas bapurā mūsā kīno mīcẖ bila¬ī¬ā kẖa¬īhai rė.

This world is a drama; no one can remain here. One should walk on the straight path; so one may not be pushed around. The Messenger of Death will take the children, the young and the old, O Siblings of Destiny, away. The God has made the poor man a mouse, and the cat of Death is eating him up. -----Kabir, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 855

The Divine Will created all forms; what that Will is no one can say. That Will forms all life. And, that Will exalts all. The Will determines who is high who is low, The Will grants all joys and suffering, The Will blesses some; others migrate from birth to birth. All are within the Will none stands apart. Says Nanak, by recognizing the Will, we silence our ego.

ਸਭੁ ਕਛੁ ਤਿਸ ਦੈ ਵਸਿ ਦੂਜੀ ਨਾਹਿ ਜਾਇ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਖ ਅਨਦ ਭਏ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਮੰਨਿ ਰਜਾਇ ॥

Sabẖ kacẖẖ ṯis ḏai vas ḏūjī nāhi jā¬ė. Nānak sukẖ anaḏ bẖa¬ė parabẖ kī man rajā¬ė.

Everything is under Akal Purkh’s control; there is no other place at all. Nanak is in peace and bliss, accepting the Will of God. -----Guru Arjan Slokes, AGGS, Page, 1425-11

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM