• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Religion Or Politics?

triken

SPNer
Aug 6, 2009
What do you usually do if someone brings up religion or politics?

Say you're talking with a friend who has different beliefs than you, and somehow religion or politics comes into the conversation. You don't want to argue with them because they're your friend, but you don't want to be wrong. What do you usually do? And if you can't simply change the subject because they bring it up again, what do you do?

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
It is said religion and politics are two of the most contentious topics arousing passionate anger and emotions amongst those with an interest. I am of the Bhindranwalle School decreeing no separation of Religion and Politics.

The opposition will cite conflicting and incompatible attributes of both and I would disagree vehemently. Politics is administrative governance of the material care of a nation and its people. It deals with the economy ensuring industrial output suffices to feed, house, clothe and protect the interests of civilians, it administers over public utilities and enforces law, generally the material smooth running of a nation.

Religion hones the spirit of a society, it reinforces by education and indoctrination from birth through schooling to social tradition and culture a fundamental value system, if precisely appropriated produces a collective conscience and cohesive society. This avoids modern day western issues currently employed as topics of debate entirely non conducive to spiritual progress, unity of a people or social stability.

These two roles are of a paradoxical parental nature, maat pitta, if aligned and harmonised create a perfectly ordered society, and if at loggerheads and contentious, vying for dominance become their own and the nations and people enemy and dilemma. We observe America where the state has caused chaos and conflict resulting in a suffering and demoralised people. A church with established moral codes of practise battling an indulgent state pandering to the whims of the loudest civilians without actuating any social progress.

Political extremism is as repugnant as religious dogmatism, both the consequence of closed minded bigotry unyielding and without understanding applying laws without associated remedial steps to ensure implementation and compliance. Pandering to the peoples weaknesses or brutal suppression of a supplicated people are both resulting ends occasioned by a perfection system corrupted by unethical subversives with selfish motives than the greater long term good..

The incompetent will think a correlating rule of church and state as unworkable, and its minions may nod in agreement, yet we know the Punjab excels under the rule of Lambhardars and upheaval is caused only by state intervention rousing women as feminists against traditions, introducing new fangled faddish nonsense as intellectualism , causing irrational compensatory gestures of one cast over another ultimately requiring readjustment for equanimity.

The new age system creates a dependency culture and overt reliance and focus upon state, whereas Sikhi produces and encourages self realisation and personal responsibility as the ultimate goal than looking towards a vicarious and cunning media or enlightenment’ and pastoral care. It may not be currently fashionable, but the Waheguru’s Law remains sound compared to the voraciously attention spinning transient verbiage expounded by changing faces of state and seats of power.

Ultimately it is reliant upon the integrity and competence of the said Temple Leaders and Statesmen to synchronise a mutually conducive system compatible with progress whilst upholding moral culturalism whilst simultaneously concordant with the politics and principles of peer nations.

Daljeet Kaur Rai Johal Bhuller

Last edited:
May 14, 2008
I was watching this reality show the other day and this guy had to choose between two girls to marry. The one girl happened to be Jewish and he happened to come from a very devout Christian Family. His father was very devoute and forward with his feelings. They were some controversy but the decision ultimately came down to him. He ended up marrying the Jewish girl.

Its a bit uncomfortable when you know someone who might have different views than you but it helps you build your character and insight. I try to have friends with a diversity of opinions that way I'm not a slave to one ideology or way of thinking. I have friends who are conservative liberals, Atheist, Evangelicals, Muslims, Hindus, Jews etc. As a journalist I am taught to let people to their story. Sometimes it is hard especially if its on a subject I feel passionately about but i try to divorce myself from my emotions and think logically. :u):

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
You can of course speak even heatedly about any topic with your friends, and if they truely are your friends, then no ill will will be felt.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM