• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Relations

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
I recently came across these set of rules for after someone has recieved the baptism into the Sikh religion.

1. Deal with persons who have no belief in God
2. Take drugs, intoxicants and tobacco in any form
3. Have any faith in magic, superstitions, charms and rituals
4. Have any relations with mines (descendants of Prithi Chand, a brother of Guru Aijan who revolted against his father, Guru Ramdas, to have the Guruship for himself) Dhirmaliaa (descendants of Dhirmal, a grandson of Guru)

Now the first rule says that i should not deal with anyone who does not have a belief in God. That is something that i could not do, as many of my close friends are agnostic, including the woman that i love. If Sikhism does not distinguish between individuals, then should it not do the same for those who don't believe in or are undecided about religion and God? Can anyone help me out here, is this a concrete rule of Sikhism? As i am deeply interested in Sikhism yet i refuse completly to give up relationships with my friends and my girlfriend just because they don't believe in God.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

We have discuused this thing in past and could not come out such thing either in officail code or SGPC Maryada or any old code or rahit.It is just some wrong and fearing defenisnve minds creation.

We are told to avodi the bad company ,who may lead us away from God ie by letting us go after women or drugs etc.

Well lastly das just wants to say that we arer preaching faith,as a preacher to the faith of God and let faith of Goid goes to all human beings we have to intereaxct with non belivers also.

So there is no ban in our faith to have non belier frineds.Forget this wrong thing and misguiding thing writtan by psudo Sikh.

We are anti to addiction and other then medidincal use can lead to addiction.So Drugs and wine and tobbaco has to be kept at bay.
We need to stay away from occult as we are one with supereme power free of occult.

4. Have any relations with mines (descendants of Prithi Chand, a brother of Guru Aijan who revolted against his father, Guru Ramdas, to have the Guruship for himself) Dhirmaliaa (descendants of Dhirmal, a grandson of Guru)
Four gruops ie

Minas
Masands
Dheermalyas
Ram Rayas
but can try to convert them into our faith.Anyway non of them are a big powers at present as in past most were converted to Sikhism.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
British_Communist said:
I recently came across these set of rules for after someone has recieved the baptism into the Sikh religion.

Now the first rule says that i should not deal with anyone who does not have a belief in God. That is something that i could not do, as many of my close friends are agnostic, including the woman that i love. If Sikhism does not distinguish between individuals, then should it not do the same for those who don't believe in or are undecided about religion and God? Can anyone help me out here, is this a concrete rule of Sikhism? As i am deeply interested in Sikhism yet i refuse completly to give up relationships with my friends and my girlfriend just because they don't believe in God.
Hi,

I am curious to see the source of these 'rules'... as I find some contents totally wrong and repulsive.

Pls paste the link.

Thanks, Arvind.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
British_Communist said:

I see where I misunderstood now. It would have been better, if you started your post with :

After taking Amrit you must not:

Now this clears up the things.

Regards, Arvind.

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
Arvind said:

I see where I misunderstood now. It would have been better, if you started your post with :

After taking Amrit you must not:

Now this clears up the things.

Regards, Arvind.

What is the amrit? I thought it was just the baptism into the Sikh Religion, or do you not need to be baptised in order to be a Sikh? I'm confused can someone please explain?

bopadum

SPNer
Jun 8, 2006
I live in everything
This has always been an issue sikh/singh. Maybe Singh you are born into... due to culture etc and Sikh: anyone can be a part of as long as they learn and practice sikhism. Then being baptised as a Sikh is just a whole other level.

But this is a big debate. Obviuosly there are loads of singhs who are not baptised but will say with all there heart that they are sikh. This must be easier if you are in the stereotype: from Old Punjab, wear a Bangle, Speak Indian/Punjabi.

Where as out side of thios stereotype there is probably only one way working your way to baptism. If you keep the majority of the 5 ks you are doing better than many sikhs including myself!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM