• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Charitropakhyan Rejoinder By Mrs. A. Singh To The Article "Charitropakhyan And I"

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Rejoinder by Mrs. A. Singh to the article "Charitropakhyan and I"

Only a few weeks ago this article, Charitropakhyan and I, by Sanjam Kaur, was published at Sikhnet. The opening paragraphs read as follows:
"I am a woman with two teenage daughters and I have recently finished reading the English translation of Charitropakhyan. The whole text of Charitropakhyan deals with different aspects or shades of a woman's nature, some good some bad.

'The claims by some that these are useless sensual tales arise from incomplete reading of Charitropankhyan with a fickle mind already polluted by the kaamic mud which is all around us. Charitropakhyan should be read in its totality. If one finds them to be sensual tales, it is because all around us there is nothing but kaamic play of the dark-age, [FONT=wp_bogus_font]kalyug[/FONT], which has increased millions times more since the time of rachna of Sri Dasam Granth.

'Guru Granth Sahib Ji teaches us to do bhakti and have gyan too. Bhakti is like a boat which will carry us across this terrifying ocean of fire, and gyan will teach us how to swim across this dark ocean. [FONT=wp_bogus_font]Charitropankhyan[/FONT] read with a discerning mind will give us gyan so that we can build a strong fort of [FONT=wp_bogus_font]viveka [/FONT]to overcome one of the five vikaras called kam"
or lust.

More at this url: Charitropakhyan and I | SikhNet

Some readers were encouraged by the author's description of the merits of the Charitropakhyan. But others were disturbed by many key ideas presented in the article. They found them to be offensive to women and at odds with the message of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Mrs. A. Singh, who took a critical view of Charitropakhyan and I, had this to say.

On 7 May 2010 asingh wrote:
"This vindicates all those mullahs trying to change living women into walking shrouds, out of fear of those womanly viles. Even they did not invoke kok-shastra or incorporate manuite hatred for ladies to incorporate into a hundreds of pages of lesson-giving granth. After this granth do we have a case against female infanticide, a blight that has plagued that subcontinent for centuries?

'It is good thing it has been acknowledged that Sikh men first need to get married before they stop ogling women...to focus on the one mom procured, a nice little lady but inherently evil-natured of course! instead it being a treatise aimed at those hapless victims who have bitten the bullet, and are in need of graphic descriptions of perverse behaviours so as to explain why they should stick to the one evil temptress they already have, then go get trapped by others out there!

'Can anyone point out the 'good' characteristics of women in there - they seem too busy proving their evil nature to find time to be good. Even 'raja' of Anandpur has not been spared or could not escape the trap laid out by one such heroine,,,of course choosing to go there at odd hours unchaperoned, to get some secret stuff (and become the reason for excommunication of an ex-jathedar of Akal Takht for reading from this mahan granth to his Sikh audience!). Even the supposedly 'good' devi Chandi is busy spilling blood and laughing loudly at blood and gore. Not to mention the good gopikas cavorting with kahna, gaining celestial favours, leaving hubbies whining and complaining.

'In short Sikh men should stay home and guard their evil temptresses, for given half a chance they will find a raja hiding under their beds, drinking bhang out of their fine China and planning future dastardly acts.

'When can we look forward to the sequel...about purusha-charitras i.e. men gone wild after lessons form Charitropakhyan? Now that dodas and bhukki are houshold items it is time to whip out our granth!"

We thank Mrs. A. Singh for allowing Sikh Philosophy Network to publish her comments; they were originally communicated as an email message to SikhDiaspora which is a private mail-group at Yahoo.com.

Attachments

• guruhand.jpg
    guruhand.jpg
    42.6 KB · Reads: 436

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I could not have said this better than she did!

Quoted from above...

On 7 May 2010 asingh wrote:
"This vindicates all those mullahs trying to change living women into walking shrouds, out of fear of those womanly viles. Even they did not invoke kok-shastra or incorporate manuite hatred for ladies to incorporate into a hundreds of pages of lesson-giving granth. After this granth do we have a case against female infanticide, a blight that has plagued that subcontinent for centuries?

'It is good thing it has been acknowledged that Sikh men first need to get married before they stop ogling women...to focus on the one mom procured, a nice little lady but inherently evil-natured of course! instead it being a treatise aimed at those hapless victims who have bitten the bullet, and are in need of graphic descriptions of perverse behaviours so as to explain why they should stick to the one evil temptress they already have, then go get trapped by others out there!

'Can anyone point out the 'good' characteristics of women in there - they seem too busy proving their evil nature to find time to be good. Even 'raja' of Anandpur has not been spared or could not escape the trap laid out by one such heroine,,,of course choosing to go there at odd hours unchaperoned, to get some secret stuff (and become the reason for excommunication of an ex-jathedar of Akal Takht for reading from this mahan granth to his Sikh audience!). Even the supposedly 'good' devi Chandi is busy spilling blood and laughing loudly at blood and gore. Not to mention the good gopikas cavorting with kahna, gaining celestial favours, leaving hubbies whining and complaining.

'In short Sikh men should stay home and guard their evil temptresses, for given half a chance they will find a raja hiding under their beds, drinking bhang out of their fine China and planning future dastardly acts.

'When can we look forward to the sequel...about purusha-charitras i.e. men gone wild after lessons form Charitropakhyan? Now that dodas and bhukki are houshold items it is time to whip out our granth!"

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: