• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Question About Sufferings

Apr 7, 2005
Brampton
The quick answer is yes its due to past deeds.

Now where it gets complicated is sometimes the deeds are the mothers, fathers or the child.

Some parents are given "hellborn" childs because of past deeds as well.

We are all born on this earth because of past deeds.

Suffering..... i was given this example by my dad.... We suffer only because we put the thought that we will get something in return. When we don't get what we thought we think something wrong has happend. We go from happy to sad in a minute only because we kept a desire for something to happen and we didn't leave it up to Akal Purkh.

If you think this didn't answer your question just say so... i'll see how else i can approach this.

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
I don't believe that a person is born blind due to past deeds. I can't. It feels too brahministic to me...that a "perfect" body is indicative of a "better" person.

Why is a person born with different abilities? To be a teacher to the rest of us manmukhs. Should we indulge our ego and through a "handicapped" label on a person that is different than us? Or shoud we humbly do seva to ensure that they live a life that is no different than us?

FDR defeated Adolf Hitler from a wheelchair.

Beethoven composed a pricelessly beautiful symphony when he was deaf.

Stephen Hawking has virtually no motor control to his body, yet will likely have a place in history alongside Einstein.

These people didn't spend their lives preoccupied with what they CANNOT do. They focused on what they CAN do.

Pyare Singh, a disasterously handicapped boy discarded on an Indian street, became the inspiration for Pinglewara.

ALL of us are perfect in the eyes of Guruji. We must have the courage to remember that.

neech

SPNer
Jan 21, 2008
I don't believe that a person is born blind due to past deeds. I can't. It feels too brahministic to me...that a "perfect" body is indicative of a "better" person.

Why is a person born with different abilities? To be a teacher to the rest of us manmukhs. Should we indulge our ego and through a "handicapped" label on a person that is different than us? Or shoud we humbly do seva to ensure that they live a life that is no different than us?

Stephen Hawking has virtually no motor control to his body, yet will likely have a place in history alongside Einstein.

These people didn't spend their lives preoccupied with what they CANNOT do. They focused on what they CAN do.

Pyare Singh, a disasterously handicapped boy discarded on an Indian street, became the inspiration for Pinglewara.

ALL of us are perfect in the eyes of Guruji. We must have the courage to remember that.

A really good reply Amerikaur ji, suffering is a condition that manmukhs endure. As Sikhs we should accept all that happens as the will of God. Thus, a person born blind or handicapped should not be considered inferior, as you most succinctly point out. However, it is not brahmanism to accept that we are born the way we are because of our karma. Just because we have "perfect bodies" doesn't mean we have perfect or good karma as oppossed to a disabled person. The body is just a vehicle for the soul to experience and workout its karma. Suffering is subjective and as they say, one mans poison is another mans cure.
The thing that I find hard to come to terms with is that the Sikh rehit maryada states that a disabled person cannot administer amrit to others as one of the panj pyare.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
A really good reply Amerikaur ji, suffering is a condition that manmukhs endure. As Sikhs we should accept all that happens as the will of God. Thus, a person born blind or handicapped should not be considered inferior, as you most succinctly point out. However, it is not brahmanism to accept that we are born the way we are because of our karma. Just because we have "perfect bodies" doesn't mean we have perfect or good karma as oppossed to a disabled person. The body is just a vehicle for the soul to experience and workout its karma. Suffering is subjective and as they say, one mans poison is another mans cure.
The thing that I find hard to come to terms with is that the Sikh rehit maryada states that a disabled person cannot administer amrit to others as one of the panj pyare.
it i because they represent Guru gobind singh ji, and he had no deficiency. that is why

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Physical disability and what Guru Gobind Singh Ji stood for are way apart.

Kindly comment.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
du`KW dvwrw jnmW dy pwpW qy krmW dw krzw auqr jWdw hY[ pwpW qy krmW dw nbyVw du`KW dvwrw hI huMdw hY[ ieh du`K qy kSt cVHI mYl ƒ Dox dw kMm krdy h:)n[

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

It is a nice post and is fully appreciated. However, you have not given any answer to the question as to why a person is born as a handicaped. In my opinion, it should be the karmas of past lives only that He is not blessed with that all other ae blessed with. It shall be too idealistic to say that a handicapped would have other faculties developed so as to compensate for the one that he is not bestowed with.

What is Brahmanistic? And if that be ,,,what is wrong in it unless you explain that it is not theory Of karma but is something else.
What is the theory of karma as per sikhism.

"aape beejay aapay he kha."
It conveys a lot but does not cover many aspects. May be there is mention of theory of karma somewhere else in the bani that I know not of. Kindly correct me as well

Bhul chuk mauf

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
kIqw Awpo Awpxw Awpy hI lyKw sMFIAY ] (473-12, Awsw, mÚ 1)
Everyone receives the rewards of his own actions; his account is adjusted accordingly.

It is another line that I could come across and I am putting it in separate box intentionally. Will you be kind enough to tell if you understand Gurmukhi to enable me to not to post translations that are sometimes confusing and incorrect.

In the above 'tuk' Guru ji is talking about the adjustment of the accounts. if the account is not fully adjusted or could not be adjusted for some reasons then there would be carry over to be adjusted subsequently. Hope it clarifies though further commentary would have been preferable but i shall not do as it may not be correct for me to do so.

bhul chuk mauf ji

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
ik krm kmwieAw quDu srIrw jw qU jg mih AwieAw ]
ijin hir qyrw rcnu ricAw so hir min n vswieAw ]
gur prswdI hir mMin visAw pUrib iliKAw pwieAw ]
khY nwnku eyhu srIru prvwxu hoAw ijin siqgur isau icqu lwieAw ]35]
In the above Guru sahib is saying, besides else, that by Guru's Grace He comes and dwells in the mind as per that is pre-ordained. Hence there is something that determines that is pre-ordained. There is no relationship with Karmas but the pre-ordained must have some criterion as it is stated that there is Dharam Rai as well in Sikhi philosphy.[refer: Jap ji Sahb]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM