• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi Dialect Problem

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
While written Punjabi is quite standard, Spoken Punjabi has a wide diversity. So If we suddenly expect someone to reply our question, often there is silence from the other side. Even misunderstandings can arise due to the usage of certain words and phrases.

It is my sincere wish to come up with the various terms.

For example, when I refer to fabric, I will say Kaparra but others call it Learra. To me Leerra is a rag but to others it means cloth/fabric.

Another one,

When my friend and I went to a nearby Pakistani restaurant, we ordered Garlic Naan. The maker of the naan came to ask us :

Thorm jiadda ke ghatt ?

I said jiadda and my friend looked at me confused? He didn't know what is thorm. To him garlic means lassan. In my dialect it is thorm.

I would urge all the Punjabi speaking members to post some of these encounters which we all face on a regular basis.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
These are "dialect" variations...Language dialect changes every 12KM !!..From Peshawar Jamrud to Delhi...so many dialects..BUT Main ones re POTOHAREE, MAJHAIEE, DOABI, MAINDOABEE, MALWAII.
IN Mjhailee around Amritsar/Gurdaspur/Lahor areas..they say Koonda for "talking...Malwaiis say Bolda...while Koonda is the stone mortar thingy for making chuttneys..
Malwaiis say Baar..for door..majhails say booha...Malwaiis say Jharruu..and majhails say Bouhkar..for broom...so same for Thom..lassan..piaz..gandha...Bota is OOTH..camel..
My frined who is malwaii got married to amjahillan...she would alwsy compalin about hsi silence..eh koondah nahin...whenever her parents came to visit..so he went and bough the stoen mortar Koonda..next time she again complaiend..koondah nahin..he bought her anothe=r mortar..then he bought a third..FINALLY He shouted KINNEH KOONDEH CHAHEEDEH AH...KOO PIYAH KOO PIYAH she shouted in joy !!:}8-:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
For ACADEMIC PURPOSES..the KITABEE BOLI was accepted to eb the Lahore-Amrtisar version as this was Central Punjab and most books were written in the Mjahil dialect..so PANJHI for 25 was the Correct/academic/examination standard Punjabi...and the Malwaii PACHEE was considered jatkee pendu word...
With the Division of PUNJAB in 1947..MAJHA was divided..Mjah in Indian Punajb was just Amrtisar dist and Gurdaspur !! WHILE the Doaba regiona nd the MALWA region became MAJOR..and almost ALL novels etc came to ebw rotten in MALWAII BOLI..especially the ones by Jaswant SinghKanwal..a prolofic writer...so slowly the MALWAII DIALECT has become ACADEMIC PUNJABI as well...so Pachee is now acceptable and more used than Panjhi...sadly the ARYA SAMAJISTS and Punajbi hidnu enmeies of PUNJABI have a strangle hold on ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS..Punjabi University, Guur annak univerisyt, Punajb University..so new Books in Punjabi are in Gurmukhi SCRIPT..BUT HINDUISED *******ISED Punjabi...sanskrit punjabi !! The Only Real true Punjabi is the one spoken in PAKISTANI PUNJAB..the one in Indian Punajb is the hindi version..and the one in Delhi/chandigarh si PURE HINDI...with a few "drunk/bhangra" words thrown in as Punjabi..
PICK up a ny Punajbi Daily in Punjab (EXCEPT ROZANA SPOKESMAN) and the langauge is heavily Hinduised punjabi...thats is also why Gurbani is becoming harder to understand as we are discarding the RICH F{censored}e/URDU heritage in favour of only sanskrit/hindi words.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
And this thread reflects my own frustration with the absence of online page translators for PUnjabi. Anywhere you go on the net if you look for a page translator you can find one for Hindi and not for Punjabi.

Another sad discovery -- Rosetta Stone which is used by the US army to get people up to speed quickly in foreign languages DOES NOT HAVE PUNJABI. Pashto yes, Punjabi no.

So it is a painful process.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
use of "tee" or "see" for the past tense.

tu kee karda "tee"

tu kee karda "see"

i find the "tee" version funny :)

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
DnwsrI mhlw 5 ]
gur ky crn jIA kw insqwrw ] smuMdu swgru ijin iKn mih qwrw ]1] rhwau ] koeI hoAw km rqu koeI qIrQ nwieAw ] dwsM hir kw nwmu iDAwieAw ]1] bMDn kwtnhwru suAwmI ] jn nwnku ismrY AMqrjwmI ]2]3]57]

DnwsrI mhlw 5 ]
gur ky crn jIA kw insqwrw ] smuMdu swgru ijin iKn mih qwrw ]1] rhwau ] koeI hoAw km rqu koeI qIrQ nwieAw ] dwsM hir kw nwmu iDAwieAw ]1] bMDn kwtnhwru suAwmI ] jn nwnku ismrY AMqrjwmI ]2]3]57]

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
dhhanaasaree mehalaa 5 ||
Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

7 ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਚਰਨ ਜੀਅ ਕਾ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ॥
gur kae charan jeea kaa nisathaaraa ||
The Guru's feet emancipate the soul.

ਸਮੁੰਦੁ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਖਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਤਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
samundh saagar jin khin mehi thaaraa ||1|| rehaao ||
They carry it across the world-ocean in an instant. ||1||Pause||

ਕੋਈ ਹੋਆ ਕ੍ਰਮ ਰਤੁ ਕੋਈ ਤੀਰਥ ਨਾਇਆ ॥
koee hoaa kram rath koee theerathh naaeiaa ||
Some love rituals, and some bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

ਦਾਸੰ​*ੀ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥੧॥
dhaasanee har kaa naam dhhiaaeiaa ||1||
The Lord's slaves meditate on His Name. ||1||

ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟਨਹਾਰੁ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥
bandhhan kaattanehaar suaamee ||
The Lord Master is the Breaker of bonds.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥੨॥੩॥੫੭॥
jan naanak simarai antharajaamee ||2||3||57||
Servant Nanak meditates in remembrance on the Lord, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts. ||2||3||57||

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Please use a standard Gurbani font. In addition provide English translations. Although this is a thread about Punjabi dialect we have not yet opened the all Punjabi section. When we do, then you can post without inteference from me. Thank you, Naryanjot Kaur.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
use of "tee" or "see" for the past tense.

tu kee karda "tee"

tu kee karda "see"

i find the "tee" version funny :)

Huck,

There is another version : tu kee karda "saiiN" (Lahoree Boli)

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
namjap ji

it gets funnier when saying the "tee" version to a female

Tu kee kardee tee

i always end up saying

tuttee tuttak tee
:rofl:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
This thread is under moderation, Huck Finn Ji.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
haha i agree that Punjabi is stuffed when it comes to the spoken variety. Massive differences in language.

My grandparents speak Multani/Siraiki which is a dialect of Punjabi or a separate language depending on who you ask. They lived in Multan before partition so they haven't given up their mother tongue despite living in Haryana.

My mum can speak standard punjabi but my dad has trouble. He adds in words from Multani to people from Jalandhar, Amritsar and they're like :confused:

Pakistani punjabis who have lived in pakistan usually understand him though which is good.

On the other side of the family my mami is from Himachal. They speak their own brand of punjabi mixed with Dogri and Pahari.

I would think Punjabi within itself would have as much differences between its dialects as between Punjabi and other landuages.

e.g. A person from Patiala and a person from Multan would be as alien to each other as a person from Patiala and a person from Rohtak in Haryana.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
And this thread reflects my own frustration with the absence of online page translators for Punjabi. Anywhere you go on the net if you look for a page translator you can find one for Hindi and not for Punjabi.

Another sad discovery -- Rosetta Stone which is used by the US army to get people up to speed quickly in foreign languages DOES NOT HAVE PUNJABI. Pashto yes, Punjabi no.

So it is a painful process.

Narayanjot Ji,

I would like to share an incident which I have never forgotten since I was a teenager.
This is another dialect/version of Punjabi which of course when spoken in Malaysia by ex-army soldiers
who have grown old, their language is a mixture of Malay words and their Jatt descendant dialect.

This is what happened: A traveller (Indian Sikh) came to the Gurdwara Sahib Seremban to spend a night.
After he had settled in, he came out of his room late evening and asked an
old security guard (ex-army Sikh man as described above) if there was a nearby restaurant
where he could get chapatis to eat. The amazing answer he got was this:-

Just cross the road, turn right and you'll see houses, at the back of the houses there is a restaurant, you can get your chapattis from there.

That's pretty straight-forward, isn't it? Wait but if you heard the response from the traveller!!! He came to me to ask what is ked-da and ru-mah:confused:
After giving him the answer, I couldn't stop laughing.

This is what he was told by the security guard:-

ਆ ਛੜਕ ਟਪ ਕੇ, ਸਜੇ ਨੂੰ ਮੁੜ, ਫਿਰ ਰੂਮੇ ਆਉਦੇ ਆ, ਰੂਮੇਆਂ ਦੇ ਪਿਛੇ ਕਿਡਡਾ ਵਾ

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I wish I could understand the ending. Maybe you could post the answer on my visitor's wall. :roll:

Telling me that this should teach me to learn Punjabi won't serve as a helpful answer. I shall continue to concentrate on learning to read Sri Guru Granth Sahib in the Gurmukhi script. So by the time I learn "conversational Punjabi" I will have forgotten that this thread even exists. On second thought -- what difference does it make whether I understand it or not. :u):

But NamJap ji -- I know that you would not say such things to me anyway. :star:

p/s I have a great article on punjabi dialects and will root it out from my bookmarks and post it here. It is a really informative article.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Thats Malayanpunjabi...naam japp jio...and there is English-Punjabi..and French Punajbi and all sorts too. Those who migrated to UK used to phone home and say..Door te koi ayeha hai..soembodys at the Door..when those in Punjab would never understand "door" as they say baar, booha, even Gate...or Bahar (outside)..
The other day i phoned a friend in Sultanpur and he was not picking up his handphone. Finally when he did, he told me..Bhaa ji, phone dighee wich see...and I went like..dighee wich ? why for heavens sake couldnt you answer it then..it would be on the shelf or the sink didnt you ehar it ringing. DIGHEE in malaysian Punjabi is bathroom..in Punjab its the word for the Scooter "boot" or car "boot". So what he emant was he left his phone locked in his scooter's boot/box and since it was parked far away..he heard nothing..i took it to eman that he ahd it with him in his BATH !! ha ha
The Dighee word had also lots of laughs when i visited Punjab.. I would say..I am going to the Dighee (meaning Bathroom) and..everyone would wonder..what the heck is he talking about..hiw cna he "go into the dighee ? and whatever for ? and How becasue there is no scooter/car anywhere nearby ?? Had a good laugh everytime some new visitor came...

And soem of the elders who had been to Malaya long ago were proud to show me they also knew soem Malayan words...Lembu (cows)...piso ( pisau for knife)..kerbau...(buffalo)..and they would laugh loudly that when they came back and used them..no body understood them..bilah is for room...and its Male Cat in punajb..soembody asked me where my Pants is and I replied its inside the bilah at the back...and the person went and shouted..Gyani dee pant bilah lai giyah..the Male Cat ran away with Gyanis pants.
The MUGHALS/MUSLIMS were such Forward thinkers..wehn they arrived and wnated to quickly make their langauge popular among the locals..they very cleverly ATTACHED their own Arabic/F{censored}e terminology to the Local Punjabi terms...and over time these NEW TERMS assumed a different meaning and enriched our Langauge..Examples..
KAALA is Punjabi for BLACK..and SIAH/SHAH is BLACK in F{censored}e/arabic..so the New term KAALA-SIAH/SHAH firtsly made it easier for the locals to learn the enw term for Black..adn over time the New word Kaalsiah became to mean TOTALLY BLACK..or RICH BLACK...similarly..RED- became LAAL-SOOHA, PEELA-BHOOK etc etc..SADLY Now under the Heels of the Indian Administration, PUNJABI is being HIDUISED...sanskiritised with totally nonsensical ancient words..can anyone imagine a RAILWAY Train beign callaed LOH PATT GAMINI..IRON HORSE CARRIAGE (Sanskrti) wehn everyone knows what a Railway Train is..simialrly words like Hopsital, school, hasptaal, klinik, (clinic) etc are alredy well established in Punajbi but are beign phased out in favour of sanskirt rooted words never used ...SPELLINGS of PUNJABI are also being systematically destroyed on Govt signboards etc in Punjab...i saw a signboard on the Highway..MORINDA in English and HINDI correctly spelt and given PROMINENCE..while the Punjabi was at the BOTTOm and WRONGLY speleld to murinda..O sound replaced by short U sound. In FACT PUNJAB is the only state in India where one finds the LEAST PUNJABI if at all..

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
DIGHEE in malaysian Punjabi is bathroom..in Punjab its the word for the Scooter "boot" or car "boot". So what he emant was he left his phone locked in his scooter's boot/box and since it was parked far away..he heard nothing..i took it to eman that he ahd it with him in his BATH !! ha ha
:rofl!!:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Malayan Punjabi added :-

Maboo - (Punjabi version) for "Mabuk" (In Malay meaning Drunk). In Punjabi, "Maboo" also refers to drunk man out of control.
When I was a kid, we were frightened by this scare, "Maboo aya...maboo..."

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
as asudesi has said..Multani/Lahoree/Potoharee ..Punjabi spoken by the Afghani Sikhs are all so vastly different from our spoken Punjabi...I wouldnt understand a word..even though i am a Gyani in Punjabi.
The "better Half" in my house hails from Ropar..so wach word where we would place one laam (Hey" she places Dulaan sound "HEH"..so aveh will become avhere javeh will be Jawhere...after 20 years of hearing my Malwaii..she has changed and her relatives were knocked off by her accent...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM