• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pink Ribbons Disgust Me

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
It has been brought to my attention that this is Breast Cancer Awareness Week. Ah, yes, breast cancer with its dainty pink ribbons representing dainty pink women of all hues. Aside from the fact that there is nothing dainty pink about cancer, any cancer, this is just silly. Dainty pink is not the colour of woman! No dainty pink for us.

Red is our colour. The red of our blood. First of our menstrual blood, your first water of life. Your first home on this planet. The blood that is so powerful that it is taboo even to mention it. If the mention makes you squeamish, gentlemen, perhaps you need to rethink your own existence.

Red is our colour. The red of our blood shed giving birth to you. Never, in history, has there been a birth without woman's blood being shed, part of the price she pays for being the conduit of human life, the mother of every single person, living or dead.

Red is our colour. The red of our blood coursing through the veins of our children, our sons and our daughters, so often shed in wars and murders and other acts of violence perpetrated almost exclusively by those who are not women. The red of the blood coursing through your own veins.

Pink? LOL. I don't think so.

Attachments

• pink ribbon.jpg
    pink ribbon.jpg
    32.9 KB · Reads: 191

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Inderjeetsisji

It has been brought to my attention that this is Breast Cancer Awareness Week.

its working then, the awareness week

Ah, yes, breast cancer with its dainty pink ribbons representing dainty pink women of all hues. Aside from the fact that there is nothing dainty pink about cancer, any cancer, this is just silly. Dainty pink is not the colour of woman! No dainty pink for us.

unless its the icon SPN uses for female gender!

Red is our colour. The red of our blood. First of our menstrual blood, your first water of life. Your first home on this planet. The blood that is so powerful that it is taboo even to mention it. If the mention makes you squeamish, gentlemen, perhaps you need to rethink your own existence.

I agree, and I am not squeamish, I think the AIDS folk got there first, as a red ribbon firmly belongs to the AIDS lobby. I think they chose pink as it is known as a feminine colour. Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the post , I think that in order to publicise breast cancer, to make more people aware of it, a pink ribbon, although not ideal in reflection of true female qualities, (although as stated, this very forum also buys into that), it does seem to have worked in terms of recognition and publicity, ask anyone what a pink ribbon means, and plenty will say oh yeah breast cancer.

I think of it just as a symbol, and concede red would have been a better colour, but its a bit late now to change it.

The pink ribbon does not disgust me, I see it every morning and every evening, my wife has one tatooed on her left breast as her mother died of the same.

:kaurhug:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
By popular demand, here is the rather bawdy Blue Ribbon Song, The Drunken Scotsman. I thoughtfully provide you with the lyrics, so there can be no misunderstanding.

Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left a bar one evening fair
And one could tell by how he walked that he'd drunk more than his share
He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street
Ring ding diddle diddle I de oh ring di diddly I oh
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young and lovely girls just happened by
And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
See young sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
And there behold, for them to view, beneath his Scottish skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said we must be gone
Let's leave a present for our friend, before we move along
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon, tied into a bow
Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show
Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled toward the trees
Behind a bush, he lifts his kilt and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize

:mundafacepalm: :kudifacepalm: :kaurfacepalm: :singhfacepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQVWafE1HPI

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I
I agree, and I am not squeamish, I think the AIDS folk got there first, as a red ribbon firmly belongs to the AIDS lobby. I think they chose pink as it is known as a feminine colour. Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the post , I think that in order to publicise breast cancer, to make more people aware of it, a pink ribbon, although not ideal in reflection of true female qualities, (although as stated, this very forum also buys into that), it does seem to have worked in terms of recognition and publicity, ask anyone what a pink ribbon means, and plenty will say oh yeah breast cancer.

I think of it just as a symbol, and concede red would have been a better colour, but its a bit late now to change it.

The pink ribbon does not disgust me, I see it every morning and every evening, my wife has one tatooed on her left breast as her mother died of the same.

:kaurhug:

I would be satisfied with a compromise.

Attachments

• pink red2.jpg
    pink red2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Reads: 186

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM