• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

On My Mind Lately (ridiculous Caste System)

riceboy89

SPNer
Jan 5, 2007
wjjk wjjf

so anyways, there has been alot of talk about "caste" in my household. my family is against the idea, however sometimes they start up about "jatt this or jatt that." my parents say we are "ramghadias" *rolls eyes* however i am STRICTLY against any caste system. Guru Gobind SIngh Ji abolished this system in 1699 with the formation of the Khalsa Panth. However, if you look in Sikh society, so many people are bent on their "caste." it angers me to no end. i mean how can these people totally disregard such an important aspect of our faith. when and how can this stop?

perhaps its because Khalistan never formed. maybe its because Sikhs live in the Hindu dominated India so they have picked up this kind of garbage? would you guys think this would have happened if Khalistan had been formed?

also, this article scared the living **** out of me. i mean if you think about it, with so many idiots believing in a caste system for Sikhs can this really be possible?

article: Panthic Weekly: Illustrated: Hinduization of Sikh Faith & History

im sorry if my anger has gotten the best of me, it just really steams me to see/hear stuff like this.

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
Well, firstly caste is not new to Sikhism. A generation or two ago, it was unthinkable to marry out of caste, and actually in the villages it was not even allowed. I mean, mini riots used to start over this sort of thing, really. And common sense should always apply, one should apply the values people grew up with and most likely things will make more sense. To tell anybody what to think usually results in upleasantness, even if one is correct.

Secondly, yes the Sikhs will become hinduized. It is hard to be 2% of the population, prosperous, aggressive, adaptable, educated, and spiritually accepting in a population of 1 billion, what do you think will happen. And to your question, obviously if Bhindranwale had been successful, a lot of the current problems may have been stemmed, obviously with different issues and problems arising. Actually, we would have wound up much like pakistan, with women separated out and people living in fear of spiritual authority, but with preservation of tradition. Can not have everything can we?

sincerely

Jul 10, 2006
  • Respectable Jat Sikh family seeks a suitable match for their 29 year old daughter 5’1’’, fair pretty, well educated, working as a nursery practitioner. Suitable match should be of same caste, professionally qualified, 28-30 years old, good natured, British born, non-visitor, non-divorcee, living in Wolverhampton, Birmingham area!
  • Respectable ramgharia Sikh family seeks suitable match for their 35 year old daughter. 5’4’’ fair pretty, well educated, working as a solicitor. Suitable match should be of same caste and be professionally qualified.
(Above extracts taken from Mann jitt newspaper, October 2006)

The new generation of Sikhs should and will be able to stop the above nonsense completely. The above "attitude" is passed on by our parents, from their parents, relatives etc.

Its up to us to say "STOP"!

p/s: "Sikhs will become hinduized" - Not on your Nelly! This forum for instance, this type of threads posted are already one of the many steps taken to identifying the issue and hence the remedy. Without being rude to your elder who talks about "caste", simply stop them. Then give them an explaination. If they have any common sense, they will either realise what they are saying or be "shamed" into correcting themselves. Many families actually do not talk about "caste".

Mary McCoy

SPNer
Feb 15, 2007
Seattle,USA
We have been discussing this caste issue on another thread, Madness of Belief in Caste:Jaat-paat.

I know of Sikhism only what little I have learned on the Net. As an outsider, I can tell you that the aspect of Sikhism that most rings true to me and is infinitely attractive is the belief in social equality. If this belief is dropped in favour of all this Hindu caste nonsense, you will alienate a lot of us who are seeking and exploring.

The teachings of the Gurus are beautiful and clean and pure. I do not understand why you feel the need to throw this cow dung, allusion consciously chosen, on top of them.

badmash has already tried to explain this to me. I have thought a lot about it. I cannot accept any aspect of caste for any reason. Whatever the historical reasons, wrong is still wrong.

Dear friends, this is the twenty-first century. Time to mature.

No more ice cream.

Mary

Jan 17, 2007
Re: on my mind lately (ridiculous caste system)

I wonder can you really get rid of caste system? Caste system was based on the type of work one did. A particular line of work stayed with the family and over generations they became experts in thier trades and they never thought of changing to another and if they did they faced resistance from other groups. Ok we may abandon the word caste but then how proudly de we say "lokk our son/daughter has been married into doctors families, Accountants family, Bussiness family. What is that, Is that not again a sect - a caste but in a more updated version to suit or way of life not like the pandoos - caste huh. Any comments?

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
Yes, and if you think about it, this debate is alive amongh diasporatic sikhs, not so much in India. It is the sense of idealism which clashes with the reality of history.

SS0606

SPNer
Nov 21, 2006
Caste discrimination is an evil form of racism between people of the same race. I'm sick and tierd of people flaunting their caste or even hiding their caste because they're ashamed! It saddens me that instead of the caste system disappearing, people in the younger generation flaunt it more as if it's a medal!! I've heard ridiculous comments like 'I can drink more...i'm Jatt' how pathetic is that? There hasn't been a day gone by of my uni life where I haven't heard someone comment on someones caste! Like Hai Bhi Sach ji said, your caste was determined by the particular line of work your family did. So why should I as by name...a Jatt flaunt it when my dad is an electrical engineer? No where close to what a Jatt originally is...land owner! And as far as it being blamed on Hindus, how can we blame them for western Sikh society? My mum is a Hindu Brahmin and therefore i associate with a lot of Hindus as well as Sikhs and I can say from what i've seen I have never seen discrimination of caste between Hindus to the extent that I have seen with Sikhs.

gursikh

SPNer
Jan 9, 2007
Sikhism and techings of all Guru's condemn casetism...
people who still havent get out of this they are not complete sikhs... they might claim themselves to be sikhs but actuly they r not...
sikhism is not from the outward apperance .. rather sikhism is reflected from inner values and how far one has practicaly implemented the teachings of Gurubani...
even a muslim or hindu or christian or jaini can be a sikh if he/she follows the teachings of gurubani in their life.. even without appearing like sikhs(outward appearance)

Gurubani and sikhism is all about spiritualism.. soul and GOD.... but not everyone(born sikh's) is born that lucky to understand that aspect of Gurubani... so they try to show they r sikhs by words.... but if carefully analysed their actions will tell a different story...

AND NO "KHALISTAN" THING CAN CHANGE THIS ATTITUDE...
TO CHANGE THE ATTITUDE THE PRESENT GENERATION NEED TO TAKE A STAND AND IMPLEMENT THE TEACHINGS OF GURUBANI IN OUR LIVES...

else generation - by - generation things will become worse and worse...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM