• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General New York. To Go Or Not To Go?

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Sangat ji, i am in grade 12 right now (so physically 17). A teacher at school has planned a trip to New York City at the begining of Febraury. I was just wondering what are the conditions like in New York right now? I am an Amritdharee travelling with people who know very little about Sikhi and dont want to get into any trouble while down there.
Normally i wouldn't go on trips with school, specially them being over night, but for this trip we will be going to places like ground zero, doing some work in orphanges and things like that, i think it would be very beneficial to me if i did go.
So sangat jio, what do you think... would it be a good idea to do or not?
Thanks

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
I guess if you think that you will be discriminated or whatever, most people would hide. That is what the problem is because people are afraid and that leads to people not even knowing who Sikh's are. We need to all get out there, do community service, and educate the community. So all in all, i think you should go because working in an orphanage is nice on a resume :) and is beneficial to the community as we all need to follow the three main rules. One being Vand Ke Chako...distribute earnings among those less fortunate then you, whether it be in money or time. anyways its nice to see New York, i saw it before the 9/11 attacks though

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Der friend,

Conditions in new york are not bad as i believe for some sikh to visit.

I have visited newyork twice had faced absolutely no problem anywhere whether it is airport , downtown or Subway and I was travelling alone and also I think my appearance stands out more then native american sikhs( my looks are are more in line with punjabi turbaned sikh ) so dont think that turban should be problem in any sense rest leave on AKAL and I think you should go for your personal reason and also reason for the reason Highlighted above by Navroopsingh

Thanks

Jatinder Singh

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Truthseeker,

I wouldn't worry too much about going to New York. Your young age and the fact you will be a part of a larger mixed group will be quite protective for you. Be confident!

Besides, turbanned Sikhs are not uncommon in Ny from what I hear. My brother did some work there a few years ago and didn't mention any problems. Actually he mentioned how his co-workers were infinitely less biased towards him there than here in London.

He did mention the famous NY attitude that people over there have but this bravado should be appreciated for what it is; a cultural factor.

Be brave, stick your chest out! Don't hide from the world.

WJKK
WJKF

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada

just wanna say thanks for the input and encouragement... if everything works out i do really hope to go. Now, i just gotta get permission im sure you all know how parents can be and how hard it is to convince them to let you goplaces specially for my sisters out there.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM