• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Naam Simran And Failure

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
NAAM – SIMRAN and failure

It is like chasing the wind, nothing materializes but the race goes on, isn’t it very strange that after liking it, dreaming it, the effort of Naam-Simran still doesn’t bring the stillness of mind as it is meant for? Isn’t it necessary to understand the reason behind this failure as it is described in Gurbani? Let’s look over it seriously. First, let us understand what is meant by Naam as per Gurbani.
To make it very simple, as per Gurbani, NAAM means the Creator
ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲਨਾਮ( SGGS 12)Mil sāḏẖsanga baj keval nām. ||1||
Join the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; meditate on Name, the Lord. |
ਲਿਖੁਨਾਮ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਲਿਖੁ ਲਿਖੁ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ
Lik nām sālāh lik lik an na pārāvār. ||1||
Write the Praises of the Naam, the Name of the Lord; write over and over again that He has no end or limitation. ||1||
(ਮਃ 1 SGGS 16)
ਨਾਮੁਜਪਤਨਾਮੁ ਰਿਦੇ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ
Nām japa nām rie bīcāre.
Meditating on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and contemplating the Naam within our hearts,
(ਮਃ 5 SGGS 202)

. Many names are attributed to the NAAM

.(ਤੇਰੇਨਾਮ ਅਨੇਕਕੀਮਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਈ (SGGS 1067)
Ŧere nām anek kīma nahī pā▫ī.
Your Names are countless; your value cannot be estimated (Here it is expressed how with different names, Naam, the Lord, is addressed but still He is inexpressible).

So let’s move on to “Naam Japna” and “Naam Simran”, in Gurbani, Naam Simran or Naam Japna” is considered above all religious deeds.
ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਉਧਰੇ ਮੂਚਾ (SGGS 263)
Lord's meditation is the most exalted of all. Through Master's meditation many have been saved.
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹੁ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੂਖ ਘਨੇਰੇ
O my soul, through the Guru, utter the Name of God. O Nanak thus shalt thou have many comforts. (SGGS 264)

So what is literally Naam japna ?, how it can be done and how He can be realized? How Naam can be achieved? A lot of scholars have tried to define it; the more they define the more difficult it becomes to comprehend its concept for a layman. Is it just reciting His Name? If just reciting is enough then how come Brahmins were questioned by Guru Nanak as they would recite “mantras” like parrots? Certainly it is more than that. Do you remember Guru Vaak that says clearly that by merely saying His name, HE is not obtained? Here it is
ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਕਹਿਐ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ
Rām rām sab ko kahai kahi▫ai rām na ho▫e.
Everyone says the Lord's Name, Raam, Raam; but by merely saying, the Lord is not obtained.
ਮਃ 3 SGGS 491)
This has been my struggle for a while. Every time I studied Gurbani, I kept looking for an answer to this puzzling question. I knew it would be there. Once I came across a Guru Vaak in context of “bowing”, surprisingly Guru has given a new meaning to it, have a look at that Guru Vaak
ਤੁਧਨੋ ਨਿਵਣੁਮੰਨਣੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਉ
Ŧuḏẖno niva manaerā nā▫o.
To place one's faith in Your Name Lord, is true obeisance.
ਮਃ 1 SGGS 878)
The stress is again on “faith”. As by merely reciting Lord’s name is not enough, by merely saying “I believe in Him” is not enough either. Believing in HIM is total surrender to His ordinance. Other than that “ I believe in Him “ is a self deception
ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਰਾ ਸਭਿ ਬਾਦਿ
Jap ṯap sabẖ kicẖẖ mani▫ai avar kārā sabẖ bāḏ.
Meditation, austerity and everything come through belief in the Lord's Name. All other actions are useless.

ਨਾਨਕ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮੰਨੀਐ ਬੁਝੀਐ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ (SGGS 954)
Nānak mani▫ā mannī▫ai bujẖī▫ai gur parsāḏ. ||2||
O Nanak, believe in the One who is worth believing in. By Guru's Grace, he is realized. ||2||( Here Tr. Is not accurate, mania=believing in, manniai= accepted, bujhi ai= realization, it means, ‘Nanak says when He is believed truly by some one, with the grace of Guru one is accepted and realizes the Lord”)

Now here it is clearer interpretation, the act of being accepted and realization of Lord also comes with grace of Guru to understand HIM, to know HIM otherwise we just say that we believe in HIM but literally we don’t. So believing starts the real journey with a ticket, the otherwise there is just sheer talk. Sorry to say so but it is true. We say His Name everyday but come back to the situation of “business as usual”. If we believe in HIM then why don’t we change ourselves and why do we keep “I” in front seat? Why we want that thing more and more that actually builds barrier between Him and us. There is another truth; we want more because we don’t believe that without asking He will give us. That is the fall. That is very strange too. If we just do not believe that He would take care of us without asking anything, how we can say we have faith in Him then ( manaerā nā▫o.)?. In Gurbani to do prayer to Him to have basics of life to go on is not prohibited but “greed” is which is prohibited. If faith in Him is there, the subject of the prayer changes to His Naam If that faith is not there how our recitation of His Name can be sincere and fruitful? Bhagat Kabir ji states that with the complete faith in Him, all recitation of His`Name will materialize in nothing.
ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ ਗਉੜੀ ਕਿਆ ਜਪੁ ਕਿਆ ਤਪੁ ਕਿਆ ਬ੍ਰਤ ਪੂਜਾ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਰਿਦੈ ਭਾਉ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ Gauri Kabir Ji. What avails meditation, what penance and what fasting and worship to Him, in whose heart there is the love of another( Maya etc)?
So while being attracted to other Maya, faith in Him remains fragile. Kabir ji’s warning is a fact, we hear it but we have become habitual of ignoring it easily. If the element of “tudh no mannan”( having faith in Him) lacks, Jap or Simran remains a kind of conditional ritual..
What is the reason here that negates all efforts of our getting close to Him, into nothing, what is that? Answer by Guru ji is very clear in the following
ਮਃ ਮਾਇਆਧਾਰੀ ਅਤਿ ਅੰਨਾ ਬੋਲਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਈ ਬਹੁ ਰੋਲ ਘਚੋਲਾ (SGGS 313)
3rd Guru. The man attached to mammon is very blind and deaf. He hears not the Name and makes a great uproar and tumult.
So what is the right way then to proceed on this path? Gurbani doesn’t advocate to abandon this world to become indifferent to Maya, actually supports the idea to be immaculate while living right in it and enjoy the state of mind to be with HIM
ਮਃ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭੇਟਿਐ ਪੂਰੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਹਸੰਦਿਆ ਖੇਲੰਦਿਆ ਪੈਨੰਦਿਆ ਖਾਵੰਦਿਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ (SGGS 522)
5th Guru. O Nanak, by meeting the True Guru, man comes to know the perfect way, and while laughing, playing, dressing and eating, he gets emancipated. ( means while living right in Maya)
So the one who surrenders to Guru, shows interest only in Him and meditates on Him; however, the faith in HIM should be a base of that meditation. It shouldn’t be done just for the sake of doing, it shouldn’t be done to show others or to show the Lord like a favor” I remember you Lord, I do Bani recitation, so take care of me” That is the lowest behavior towards the Lord.
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਣਿ ਮੰਨੇ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ
Gurmukh meditate on Guru Shabad, they do recitation of Name They hear and believe in God's Name and in God's Name they are absorbed.
Here is the real surrendering which we rarely do, we say that we love His “ordinance” but never stop commenting on an incident that does not go in our way. We do not in true sense believe in His care. While surrendering, only in Him, the faith is put and we should take all things good or bad on our way as they come as a token of acceptance of His ordinance. There should be no “ cry- baby” attitude. There should be awareness of His being in control.
ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੁ ਕਰੇ ਕਰਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਜਦਾ ਜੰਤੁ ਵਜਾਇਆ
Whatever pleases Him that He does and causes to be done. Nanak human being the instrument, plays as the Lord causes him to play.
Unless an effort to comprehend His Ordinance is not done, we are prone to slip away from Him due to the net of temptations we ourselves weave due to multifarious influence of Maya. In Jap Ji Sahib, to understand His Ordinance and to abide by it through understanding, it is considered the key to progress in spirituality. Sometimes, if we follow our mind, His Hukam is misunderstood, so Guru is needed.
ਕਥਉ ਕਥਨੀ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ
[/FONT]
Katha▫o na kathnī hukam pacẖẖānā.
[/FONT]I do not speak empty speech; I have recognized the Hukam of His Command.
[/FONT]ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਨਾ (SGGS 221)
[/FONT]Nānak gurmaṯ sahj samānā. ||8||1||

CONTINUES

[/FONT]

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
re: Naam Simram and Failure

Nanak is absorbed in intuitive peace through the Guru's Teachings. ||8||1||
How? We read Gurbani, we discuss it and try to understand it but still are not able to understand His Ordinance. Here is the answer
ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਨਹ ਚੀਨਿਆ ਜਾਇ ਬਿਨੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਕਿਉ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਪਾਇ ਰਹਾਉ
Through cleverness, (the Master) cannot be known. Without conquering (the mind), how can Lord's worth be appraised? Pause.
So basically, it is the mind that creates hindrances in understanding His Ordinance. This has been verified in Gurbani that due to mind being in duality and its lack of faith in one Creator and His infinite power, it wanders to all directions at its own , so it is not possible to have “undisturbed meditation” on HIM. With distracted attention, reciting remains a conditional ritual.
ਮਨੂਆਦਹ ਦਿਸਧਾਵਦਾ ਓਹੁ ਕੈਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ (SGGS 565)
Manū▫ā ah is ḏẖāvā oh kaise har gu gāvai.
His mind wanders in the ten directions - how can he sing the praise of the Lord?

We condition ourselves to ignore what we do not want to do, for example, on SPN, we see and read a request for donation but we ignore it, we understand if a little is contributed, a difference can be made for the site we frequently visit and share or learn different ideas from. Then what stop us from supporting it? It is the same conditioned approach we take towards every thing including “religion”. Our efforts to be religious are tailored as per our preferences. Without sincerity religion is reduced to a culture, progression is sacrificed over accepted hypocrisy. So it is very important that we get out of that self created niche and fall sincerely for Him who created us.
It is very crucial to turn the mind towards the Lord with a strong longing for HIM. Love happens with focused attention. After falling in love with Him, concentrating on Him becomes natural because in the mind there is nothing but His love; all others just become His gifts suitable or unsuitable to us. Mind needs to be surrendered to Guru who takes the mind out of turbulence by shattering all doubts about HIM and enforces His need as a mandatory for soul’s union with Him. This kind of surrender will not let cleverness of mind play games any more because with the surrender every thing that tempts it ceases to exist. In reciting His Name will become fascinating act, His memory in mind will enable us to look at the world as a transitory and will inspire to work to move on but never ever get carried away by any temptation that can put a chain around us. Now ‘simran” will become an aid to keep walking on this virtuous path intact. In simran, then, ecstasy of union with Him is felt strongly.
I shall introduce to you a shabad by Bhagat Ravidas Ji in which he says,” we say His name, listen others saying His name, then why we fail. Why concerns and fears do not leave us”. He answers then “lust, anger, ego and jealousy and Maya involvements, rob us of our capability to realize Him. The complexes of being knowledgeable, of high class, having spiritually mastery and being brave to shun the world, being brave warrior and being great giver, do not leave us ever”. This is the situation that our feet are deep into quagmire of Maya, then where is the chance left to love Him with sincerity. Now ponder over Bhagat ji’s Shabad.[/FONT]

[/FONT] ਪੜੀਐ ਗੁਨੀਐ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਸੁਨੀਐ ਅਨਭਉ ਭਾਉ ਦਰਸੈ
The mortals read, hear and reflect upon the innumerable Names of the Lord. but they can see not the Embodiment of gnosis and love.

ਲੋਹਾ ਕੰਚਨੁ ਹਿਰਨ ਹੋਇ ਕੈਸੇ ਜਉ ਪਾਰਸਹਿ ਪਰਸੈ
How can iron become invaluable gold, if it touches not the philosopher's stone?
ਦੇਵ ਸੰਸੈ ਗਾਂਠਿ ਛੂਟੈ
O Lord, the knot of doubt and concern unravels not.

ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਦ ਮਤਸਰ ਇਨ ਪੰਚਹੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਲੂਟੇ ਰਹਾਉ
Lust, wrath, worldly valuables egotism and jealously; these five combined are plundering the whole world. Pause.

ਹਮ ਬਡ ਕਬਿ ਕੁਲੀਨ ਹਮ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਹਮ ਜੋਗੀ ਸੰਨਿਆਸੀ
I am a great poet and of high family. I am a scholar and I am a Yogi and a solitarian.

ਗਿਆਨੀ ਗੁਨੀ ਸੂਰ ਹਮ ਦਾਤੇ ਇਹ ਬੁਧਿ ਕਬਹਿ ਨਾਸੀ
I am a virtuous divine, a warrior and a donor; such thinking perishes not ever.

ਕਹੁ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ਸਭੈ ਨਹੀ ਸਮਝਸਿ ਭੂਲਿ ਪਰੇ ਜੈਸੇ ਬਉਰੇ
Says Ravidas, all the people understand not God and go astray like mad men.

ਮੋਹਿ ਅਧਾਰੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਾਰਾਇਨ ਜੀਵਨ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਧਨ ਮੋਰੇ (SGGS973)
The Lord's Name is my support, my life, soul and wealth.
Satguru Nanak Ji also says that we are enveloped in different desirous pleasures, due to it there is no place for His Love to sow in. This mentality needs to be dismantled completely otherwise self deception will remain our destiny.
ਰਸੁ ਸੁਇਨਾ ਰਸੁ ਰੁਪਾ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਰਸੁ ਪਰਮਲ ਕੀ ਵਾਸੁ
The pleasure of gold, pleasure of silvers and damsels, pleasure of fragrance of sandal,

ਰਸੁ ਘੋੜੇ ਰਸੁ ਸੇਜਾ ਮੰਦਰ ਰਸੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਰਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ
pleasure of horses, pleasure of common cushion to satisfy lust and a palace, pleasure of sweets and pleasure of meats,

ਏਤੇ ਰਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਕੇ ਕੈ ਘਟਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ( SGGS15)
So many are the relishes of the human body. How can then God's Name secure an abode within the heart?

G Singh

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK

The beauty and serendipity of prayer is an investment yielding as much bliss as the devoted inputted. Some speak mool mantra’s monotonously, without emotion, as a matter of course. Prayer is likened to s sangeet, a calling to the supernal Spirit above and within. It is a conversation, and as with social interactions, applied measure of consideration, empathy, sensitivity is reciprocated in return.

If we were to meet a relative, and we mumbled hurriedly..’’Kidda, teek, tark, chal acha, ussi challe ..’’ The other person would feel a little affronted or belittled. Yet is we meet the same acquaintance, and our face beams into a smile, and we say ‘’Kidda ji, kitte rende oh, zindagi da safar kaise guzar rahe hai, baal bache sab ache kaase..’’ asking of their health with deep regard and love we will invoke not only a similar response when given with sincerity, but be known as a warm and honest outgoing individual.

Prayer should be spoken similarly, with inflection upon words voicing what is in your heart you seek to convey to the Lord. The Lord is won with deep devotion and genuine admiration. The JapJi Sahib especially is a powerful moving ode to the Waheguru Ji and should be spoken as such. Prayer is extremely powerful and its potency underestimated when from the heart and with profound meaning and purpose.

Oct 8, 2008

sat siri akal , pk 70.

i think as under and i quote :-

satsangat aisi janiyain , jithe iko naam vakhanyain .

for better picture , go for gurubani version . for me there has to be a living satguru `s guidance and company because as you all know well :-

visar gayee sabh tat paryaee , jab te sadhsangat mohe paayee .

now , who you think this sadh could be ? where he could be ?

for me as gurubani is valid through all ages and not only in the period till satguru gobind singh ji -( as akali school of thought says about satguru concept ) , He has to be in this age too . where and how you meet him depends upon your karamas . gurubani says :-

gur ki sakhi amrit bani , peevat hi parvan bhaya
dar darshan ka preetam hovai , mukat baikunthai karai kya .
for me , anysikh , who endeavers for sahijavastha through naamsimran should , first off all ,think where this dar darshan ka preetam could be ?
sat siri akal .
sarbjit singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

sat siri akal , pk 70.

sat siri akal , pk 70.

Sat Sr Akaal Ji Sarbjit Punjabi ji
i think as under and i quote :-
satsangat aisi janiyain , jithe iko naam vakhanyain
.Let me give Satguru Nanak’s Bachan in actual form
ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਕੈਸੀ ਜਾਣੀਐ
How is the society of saints known? ( question)
ਜਿਥੈ ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੀਐ ( Answer)
The name of One Lord is explained (contemplated) there.

”for better picture, go for gurubani version”

I already have given the actual Guru Vaak above, you have misquoted Gurbani before too, aad Ji corrected you on that if you remember on different thread, so please be careful while quoting it, humble request
. for me there has to be a living satguru `s guidance and company because as you all know well :-
Good Luck !

visar gayee sabh tat paryaee , jab te sadhsangat mohe payee
Let me quote this too in original version
ਬਿਸਰਿ ਗਈ ਸਭ ਤਾਤਿ ਪਰਾਈ
I have altogether forgotten to be jealous of others,
ਜਬ ਤੇ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਪਾਈ
since I found the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.
now , who you think this sadh could be ? where he could be ?
It has been defined above by Satguru Nanak, I leave the search to the individuals.

for me as gurubani is valid through all ages and not only in the period till satguru gobind singh ji -( as akali school of thought says about satguru concept ) , He has to be in this age too . where and how you meet him depends upon your karamas . gurubani says :-

My sincere wishes for you to obtain “Sehsaj awasatha”, I am still struggling along with numerous others, Gurbani is guiding me pretty well. Thanks.

gur ki sakhi Amrit bani , peevat hi parvan bhaya
dar darshan ka preetam hovai , mukat baikunthai karai kya .

Here is the original Guru Vaak
ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਾਖੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਪੀਵਤ ਹੀ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਭਇਆ ਦਰ ਦਰਸਨ ਕਾ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਬੈਕੁੰਠੈ ਕਰੈ ਕਿਆ
The Guru's word is a nectar-speech and by drinkingg it, man becomes acceptable. What should he, who is the lover of Lord's court and sight, do with salvation paradise?
To drink Guru bani nectar means live it by killing “I” that rules , sincerity is needed, to be out of duality is mandatory, if that happens, with His grace, one is accepted, my article deals with the reason why we fall?, Answer is simple, Guru instructions are not followed and lived as it should be. Above Guru vaak is about the final state, I have tried with my limited knowledge why we get stuck at first state, effort is to ponder over the reason of failure as it is given in Gurbani. Through your comments, what you are trying to say is quite different thing.

for me , anysikh , who endeavers for sahijavastha through naamsimran should , first off all ,think
where this dar darshan ka preetam could be ?

It is the seeker who becomes lover of the Lord( DAR DARSHAN PREETAM) in this Guru Vaak, Guru ji is not asking to look for "Dar Darshan preetam", what are hindrances in the way to become that? Being in duality, trying to ride on two different boats at a time, going in search of bhoot and prêt, digging down who cured whom instead of following Gurbani which is Amrit.
sat siri akal .

Sat Sree Akaal Sarbjet Punjabi ji,and again good luck for your journey which is beyond my understanding:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 8, 2008

pk70 ,
ssakal .
regarding , the gurubani correction , a stand corrected because thats why i use english fonts - both for lipi and gurubani version .
you wished me good luck , i am already a lucky one as they say well beginning is half done .
dar darshan ka preetam , as you say , gurubani already shows the way . which as you say , sould be left on the one who wants to search .
as for as , duality is concerned - there is none . i am not searching spirits , gurubani already stated their existance - how peope deals with them is between them and thier guru . who did it ? how one did it ? if you really are seeker of the truth then spread your horizons - through gurubani offcourse and it will not be long before when the sahajta or understanding of HIM will come out of yourself .
please , bear in mind that atom as a whole is neutral even if it contains electrons and protons of different nature including neutrons .second law of action states same phenomenona equal and opposite forces maintain the balance .
regarding the journey , thats already on . there is nothing to feel any misunderstanding about this on my front and the speed and outcome will be decided by Him.
REST , EVERY ONE CAME AND WILL GO ALONE ... LET HIS GURU LEAD .DECIDE , GUIDE OR MONITOR ONE`S JOURNEY AND FILL HIM WITH CONTENTMENT .
sarbjit singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

if you really are seeker of the truth then spread your horizons - through gurubani offcourse and it will not be long before when the sahajta or understanding of HIM will come out of yourself .( quote Sarbjitpunjabi ji)

Sarbjit Singh ji

We all can claim to be true seekers, it is known to Lord if we are true ones or some other strings are still attached to this claim. I am at initial stage to understand Gurbani and battling with the mind to follow it. You are ahead of me, I congratulate you on that, at least there are lucky individuals on SPN who have obtained something count on in spiritual journey.
please , bear in mind that atom as a whole is neutral even if it contains electrons and protons of different nature including neutrons .second law of action states same phenomenona equal and opposite forces maintain the balance .
We are all claim to be true seekers, it is known to Lord if it is true or some other strings are still attached. I am at initial stage to understand Gurbani and battle with the mind to follow it. You are ahead of me, I congratulation you, at least there are lucky individuals on SPN who have some obtained in spiritual journey
regarding the journey , thats already on . there is nothing to feel any misunderstanding about this on my front and the speed and outcome will be decided by Him.
Exactly; however for some others like me, it can still be beyond comprehension as others have not progressed as you have. Forgive me for my being naive and not understanding the depth of your journey.
REST , EVERY ONE CAME AND WILL GO ALONE ... LET HIS Guru LEAD .DECIDE , GUIDE OR MONITOR ONE`S JOURNEY AND FILL HIM WITH CONTENTMENT .
sarbjit singh
Thanks Sarbjit Singh ji for sharing your good views:)

Oct 8, 2008

eropa 234 ji
sat siri akal .
you gotta start somewhere , o k ?
and when you start reading gurubani , a stage comes when you find useless to even comment on anything at all .
again i request you to listen to some recitation of Anand sahib by a good paathi or bhai jarnailsingh of damdami taksal and see if and when just listening to it will give you more rasa then you will ever be able to define .
i am not expert in computer to copy paste exact salokas to stress my point of the messsage it underlines , but , others can do it - when salokas tells you of dualty of the role of akalpurkh in its omnipresence , omnipotent and omniscient nature .
some time listening of the gurubani clarifies more concepts than reading of it - it all depends upon your state of mind that how it creates vairaaga in you . depending upon one`s experience , it is not too dificult to perceive that HE IS EVERYWHRE ON EACH AND EVERY SIDE , WE ARE ALL HIS PUPPETS ALL DANCE TO HIS TUNES , WHEREVER HE TAKES US TO .
THAT`S LIFE MY FRIEND REST ALL IS A CHARADE .
SSAKAL .
SARBJIT SINGH

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto

Thanks Sarbjit Ji,

If hes everywhere and he takes us wherever he wants to than why wory about every thing. I am only refering to a quote from the great Kabir to whom I admire a great deal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Thanks Sarbjit Ji,

If hes everywhere and he takes us wherever he wants to than why wory about every thing. I am only refering to a quote from the great Kabir to whom I admire a great deal.

eropa234 ji

If you have time, would you give us the Ang # in Sri Guru Granth Sahib for the line from Kabir? I would like to check on the Gurmukhi for this. Thank you so much.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

eropa 234 ji
sat siri akal .
you gotta start somewhere , o k ?
and when you start reading gurubani , a stage comes when you find useless to even comment on anything at all .
again i request you to listen to some recitation of Anand sahib by a good paathi or bhai jarnailsingh of damdami taksal and see if and when just listening to it will give you more rasa then you will ever be able to define .
i am not expert in computer to copy paste exact salokas to stress my point of the messsage it underlines , but , others can do it - when salokas tells you of dualty of the role of akalpurkh in its omnipresence , omnipotent and omniscient nature .
some time listening of the gurubani clarifies more concepts than reading of it - it all depends upon your state of mind that how it creates vairaaga in you . depending upon one`s experience , it is not too dificult to perceive that HE IS EVERYWHRE ON EACH AND EVERY SIDE , WE ARE ALL HIS PUPPETS ALL DANCE TO HIS TUNES , WHEREVER HE TAKES US TO .
THAT`S LIFE MY FRIEND REST ALL IS A CHARADE .
SSAKAL .
SARBJIT SINGH

sarbjitpunjabi ji,

I am sympathetic to your opinion about state of mind and the ability of gurbani to create vairaaga. However, this conversation is in the Gurmat Vichaar part of the forum. In the Gurmat Vichaar forum, it is both expected and customary to quote from Sri Guru Granth Sahib. This is because Gurmat Vichaar, understanding the wisdom of the Guru , is all about vichaar of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. The living Guru. So there is a lot of benefit when forum members link their vichaar to quotes from the ShabadGuru. :)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Wow a lot of quotes. Pad Pad Pothi Jug Mua Pandit Bhyo na Koi(quote234 ji)

Eropa234 ji

Let me just clarify the reason of quotes given in the article and in the comments that followed it, Contrary to what your comment states no body has tried to be Pundit by giving quotes. So why it came from you, only your heart carries the secret.

All quotes are given as a support from Gurbani to support the idea being discussed, it is not done to become “pundits” or put show off to be one, as your sad comprehension is expressed in your “ self created quote” like comment.
All quotes are from Sree Guru Granth Sahib ji, because we, Sikhs, value Gurbani highly, as aad Ji has stated with a reference to Guru vaak,, we consider only through Gurbani we can know the Lord, by reading Gurbani, and sharing quotes from Gurbani is to develop understanding of the path to HIM. However, that doesn’t mean we are trying to become “Pundit”
What is your intention by just looking at these Gurbani quotes; it is solely your problem.

’ I am only refering to a quote from the great Kabir to whom I admire a great deal.( quote eropa234)’
This Sloka of yours obviously appears to be of some ones else because it doesn’t exist in Sree Guru Granth Sahib JI

I cannot resist giving another Gurbani quote here, it may not be liked by you, so it be; however, it has a capability of breaking the self built wall if understood well.
ਐਬ ਤਨਿ ਚਿਕੜੋ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੀਡਕੋ ਕਮਲ ਕੀ ਸਾਰ ਨਹੀ ਮੂਲਿ ਪਾਈ ਭਉਰੁ ਉਸਤਾਦੁ ਨਿਤ
ਐਬ ਤਨਿ ਚਿਕੜੋ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੀਡਕੋ ਕਮਲ ਕੀ ਸਾਰ ਨਹੀ ਮੂਲਿ ਪਾਈ ਭਉਰੁ ਉਸਤਾਦੁ ਨਿਤ ਭਾਖਿਆ ਬੋਲੇ ਕਿਉ ਬੂਝੈ ਜਾ ਨਹ ਬੁਝਾਈ
Aib= sin/vices , tan= in the body, meedko= frog, saar= value, bhauor ustaad== bumble bee ( hint towards Guru Shabad), bhakhyaa bole= repeats singing( sermons), kio bujhai= why to understand, na bujhaee= if Lord doesn’t make him to understand
“Mind being in the dirt of vices doesn’t understand the presence of the Lord within like a frog that doesn’t know the value of the lotus flower nearby him, Though bumble bee sings close to the frog on Lotus flower but he remains indifferent to that, same way, Guru recites the sermons in praise of the Lord, frog like mind, doesn’t understand it. How can it? If Lord doesn’t make it to understand?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

The beauty and serendipity of prayer is an investment yielding as much bliss as the devoted inputted. Some speak mool mantra’s monotonously, without emotion, as a matter of course. Prayer is likened to s sangeet, a calling to the supernal Spirit above and within. It is a conversation, and as with social interactions, applied measure of consideration, empathy, sensitivity is reciprocated in return.

If we were to meet a relative, and we mumbled hurriedly..’’Kidda, teek, tark, chal acha, ussi challe ..’’ The other person would feel a little affronted or belittled. Yet is we meet the same acquaintance, and our face beams into a smile, and we say ‘’Kidda ji, kitte rende oh, zindagi da safar kaise guzar rahe hai, baal bache sab ache kaase..’’ asking of their health with deep regard and love we will invoke not only a similar response when given with sincerity, but be known as a warm and honest outgoing individual.

Prayer should be spoken similarly, with inflection upon words voicing what is in your heart you seek to convey to the Lord. The Lord is won with deep devotion and genuine admiration. The JapJi Sahib especially is a powerful moving ode to the Waheguru Ji and should be spoken as such. Prayer is extremely powerful and its potency underestimated when from the heart and with profound meaning and purpose.

I agree, you have expressed beautiful views on prayer. If prayer caries greed and selfishness, it cannot be sincere, here is Guru’s support and verification about what you and I say in context of prayer, [/FONT]
ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ
[/FONT]Saṯ sanṯokẖ hovai arḏās.
[/FONT]If a prayer is offered with truth and contentment,

[/FONT]ਤਾ ਸੁਣਿ ਸਦਿ ਬਹਾਲੇ ਪਾਸਿ (M-1 SGGS 878)
[/FONT]Ŧā suṇ saḏ bahāle pās. ||1||
[/FONT]the Lord will hear it, and call him in to sit by Him. ||1||

[/FONT]ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਕੋਇ ਹੋਇ
[/FONT]Nānak birthā ko▫e na ho▫e.
[/FONT]O Nanak, no one returns empty-handed;

[/FONT]ਐਸੀ ਦਰਗਹ ਸਾਚਾ ਸੋਇ ਰਹਾਉ
[/FONT]Aisī ḏargėh sācẖā so▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
[/FONT]such is the Court of the True Lord. ||1||Pause||

[/FONT]

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Re: Naam Simram and Failure

Sat Nam, everyone-
There are two things that come to mind, when thinking about the Nam Simran.
One nice thing one can do is to keep talking to God and Guru-of course, you may have to do this under your breath, from time to time, or others might wonder about your sanity- but if you keep a conversation going with God, so to speak, acting as if He is Right There Beside you (which He is, anyway) and knowing that He knows your every single thought, what you will find is that you will start to more and more easily discipline yourself to A) do the Nam Simran and B) always doing the Right Thing at the Right Time- you will be more and more guided to God and Guru, and it need not be a painful process!
The other thing I am reminded of is that we should strive to see God's Work and Play in everything- even in what we might call the "bad things"- wars, famines, economic meltdowns, and whatever- God is at work and play in everything that goes on, and we really need not fear anything as long as we keep Him in our minds and hearts. Even if you should suffer setbacks, or failures or whatever, you will not be devastated by them- you will actually be alright, because God is always with you, and eventually you will succeed!
Wahe Guru
Kulwant

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
pk ji ssakal,

I admire the way u write, your artical on Naam Simran a failure is extremely important & revealing.Tell me what is the truth.what should a person do who is taught all his life to do Naam Simran.

ieh swfy glq iKAwl hn ik jy AsI Kws qrIky nwl rb dI pUjw krWgy qW Eh swnUM ipAwr kry gw vrnw nhIM[ rb nUM swfI worship nhi chaheedi usnoo sadi friendship chaeedi hai. God loves us unconditionally. he is not an angry god, or a judgemental God. when He is prevading in all of us & experincing thru us whom shall He judge & whom shall He throw in hell.we have huge misunderstandings & misgivings about God.All religions are saying different things no body knows the real answer.we are wasting our life.The most important thing is to understand who we are?jf .we are part of Him.mMn qUM joiq srUp hYN [jy swirAW ivc vwihgurU Awp hI vrq irhw hY qW aus nUM iksy koloN kI cwhIdw hY? srb BUq Awp vrqwrw srb nYn Awp pyKnhwrw[
prmwqmW nUM swfI dosqI cwhIdI hY swfw ipAwr cwhIdw hY swfw ismrn nhIN.pIky jI gurU ikrpw kry quhwnUM vwihgurU Awpxw Awp jxw dyvy [mhWbIr isMG

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: