• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

My New Website!

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
untitled

please offer insight, is this a good idea or not?

The goal is to get sikh boys into LIKING to wear their patka, and to enjoy shopping, and wearing them - and get sikh boys who have cut kesh, into keeping it.

sikandar

SPNer
Apr 3, 2006
I appreciate your efforts but patka looks good only for kids. Teenagers should atleast wear Dhumalla/Parna/Turban. Patka is a creation of Bishan Singh bedi ( Indian cricketer). In old days, small kids use to tie their juda with rumal or wear a parna/dhumala. Dhumalla is anyday a better option which Displays the image of Khalsa. Its easy to tie and looks far more better then "Patka".

It make sense for small kids but for teenagers Turban/Dhumalla or Parna is better option.

You should also try to tie a dhumalla if you are facing issues with Turban. With beard on your face, you will look more handsome with Dhumalla. its more comfy and easy to tie.

Last edited:

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
I appreciate your efforts but patka looks good only for kids. Teenagers should atleast wear Dhumalla/Parna/Turban. Patka is a creation of Bishan Singh bedi ( Indian cricketer). In old days, small kids use to tie their juda with rumal or wear a parna/dhumala. Dhumalla is anyday a better option which Displays the image of Khalsa. Its easy to tie and looks far more better then "Patka".

It make sense for small kids but for teenagers Turban/Dhumalla or Parna is better option.

I know highschoolers who still wear patka, myself included.

also, thank you for the info.

PS. i am a gora sikh and do not have much of a joora, so i prefer patka. I also assum sikhs whoa re growing back out their kesh will prefer patka over turban.

sikandar

SPNer
Apr 3, 2006
exactly!

for people who are growing hair, dhumalla is a better option, when you tie a keski underneath, you take a support of turban material which help you in wrapping your small amount of hair and then tie your dhumalla on top of the keski. If you want I an probably help you with Dhumalla videos and or we can have a web acam session.

No offense but If highschool guys are wearing a patka ( it doesn't make it right). we should rather stick to our maryada and display a Khalsa image.

I know that you are a "Gora" Sikh .. For me a Sikh is a Sikh, I don't divide them in Gora/Kala/Neela/Peela :) but yeah I got your point!

Trust me if you need a help, I can help you out for sure!

Apr 4, 2007
exactly!

for people who are growing hair, dhumalla is a better option, when you tie a keski underneath, you take a support of turban material which help you in wrapping your small amount of hair and then tie your dhumalla on top of the keski. If you want I an probably help you with Dhumalla videos and or we can have a web acam session.

No offense but If highschool guys are wearing a patka ( it doesn't make it right). we should rather stick to our maryada and display a Khalsa image.

I know that you are a "Gora" Sikh .. For me a Sikh is a Sikh, I don't divide them in Gora/Kala/Neela/Peela :) but yeah I got your point!

Trust me if you need a help, I can help you out for sure!

i'm going to have to agree... i think that once a boy gets facial hair, they should no longer wear a patka unless they're playing sports.

i also had short-ish hair when i started tying a dastaar, and as was described, wrapping the keski into your hair can actually make the joodha bigger and makes the dastaar hold in place better.

i think you'd look really handsome in a dumalla or gol type dastaar! (ya, i know i said that before. :) )

YouTube - Turban Tying - Dhamala /Dumalla #2

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sherab ji,

You don't know how much I appreciate your efforts. Please go ahead and Fateh the step you're taking.

Victory to Sherab Ji.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
I have added one new section today, and am currently working on a section about importance of kesh.

In the future, i would like to set up other sub-domains, for review of dastaar material, and kirpans. Anyone else can suggest topics they would like to see covered in the future, please let me know.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM