• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Minority Certificate!

Jaggyloving

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013
Hi m new here........ I really need help and suggestions as I am very confused.
I am Jagjit from Kolkata, West Bengal and I need a Minority certificate..... bt there are thre classes i.e. SC, ST and OBC.
So how to go for Minority certificate?
I belong to Ramgharia Tarkhand!!!!!!!!!
As per SC lists i have found LOHAR and KAUR for which they issue SC certificate.
But I want a minority certificate.
If I apply and obtain SC certificate then i think it will not be sam as Minority Certificate. Is it so?
Pls help me out.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Minority Certificate

Let's wait a bit to see who can help. Ramgharia Tarkhan is not SC nor ST or OBC on theoretical definitions. Individual states may have very specific criteria that you have to explore.

For West Bengal, play around with the pull down menus for SC, ST and OBC near the top. I don't see Sikh, nor Ramgharia/Tarkan listed http://castcertificatewb.gov.in/jsp/application_module/application_sc_st.jsp

For central list of OBC in West Bengal not there either http://castcertificatewb.gov.in/jsp/application_module/application_sc_st.jsp

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Minority certificate is not same as SC certificate.Minority certificate is issued by Gurdwara authority of the state. You need to go Gurdwara to find out where in west bengal they issue such certificate. SC and OBC certificate are issued state governments according to their lists.If your caste is under OBC category and your state issue OBC/SC certificate to your caste then you can apply for it separatily

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

If I apply and obtain SC certificate then i think it will not be sam as Minority Certificate. Is it so?

Minority certificate will not include your caste, but you'll have to show your annual family income for availing certain benefits.

SC certificate is an entirely different thing, you can possess both a minority certificate and an SC/ST/OBC/BC certificate at the same time. Both certificates have different utilities, so keep in mind what you are intending to use the certificate for. Minority benefits are not available in every case where SC benefits can be availed.

IMO carpenter caste is covered under OBC in Punjab, it will differ in Bengal according to the state gazette.

Jaggyloving

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013

That was what I was thinking that SC/ST and Minority certificate is not same.
In Delhi Minority Certificate are issued by Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee(DSGMC) but I have no idea about kolkata, West Bengal.
For all your info this is the website of West Bengal for Caste certificates, pls check and suggest some ideas if applicable -
http://www.anagrasarkalyan.gov.in/htm/home.html

Jaggyloving

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013

Minority certificate defines religion i.e Sikhism and SC/ST/OBC defines backward caste if I am not wrong.
I want a minority certificate to apply for Govt colg studies and jobs like banks, defence etc..........
With SC/ST/OBC can i avail those benefits?
In single line which is more beneficial out of the two or having both together will be more beneficial?
Totally confused!!!!!!!!!!:realangrymunda:

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

SC/BC certificate generally carries more benefits because of the assured quota in jobs and admissions. Though I suggest you get the Minority certificate as well. Minority quota is generally applicable only in the respective minority institutions.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I just checked all lists of SC, ST and OBC in India for West Bengal. First of all the Indian Constitution defines tribe and caste by statute and Ramgharia/Tarkhan does not fit these definitons. For example, a "tribe" has to fit the definition of an historically aboriginal people. Historically Ramgharia are not a caste. Tarkhan is not a scheduled caste.

Membership in a religious minority is also a statewide designation.

The constitution is further very clear for scheduled tribes and scheduled castes that designations are state-wide http://lawmin.nic.in/ld/subord/rule3a.htm

My bet is you are not going to get a simple answer. Try giving a call to that Minority Commission link that I posted previously.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

SC/BC certificate generally carries more benefits because of the assured quota in jobs and admissions. Though I suggest you get the Minority certificate as well. Minority quota is generally applicable only in the respective minority institutions.

aristotle ji

He is trying to do that as a Ramgharia/Tarkhan. How does he go about doing that?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

aristotle ji

He is trying to do that as a Ramgharia/Tarkhan. How does he go about doing that?

Ramgarhia will come under OBC, in that case too, OBC certificate is more useful than Minority Certificate. As far as I know, Minority quota is not applicable everywhere and is only used for fee reimbursement most of the times, that too if family income is low enough to meet the criteria. If he is going for Minority Sikh institurion however, Sikh quota will be available. On the other hand, OBC quota is applicable most of the times. So OBC certificate is a better bet.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Ramgarhia will come under OBC, in that case too, OBC certificate is more useful than Minority Certificate. As far as I know, Minority quota is not applicable everywhere and is only used for fee reimbursement most of the times, that too if family income is low enough to meet the criteria. If he is going for Minority Sikh institurion however, Sikh quota will be available. On the other hand, OBC quota is applicable most of the times. So OBC certificate is a better bet.

I checked. Ramgharia nor Tarkhan are not listed in any state in India including Punjab as OBC. See links.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

jaggyloving ji

When you go for the Lohar/ST certificate, why not ask an official or agent to explain how to apply for the minority certificate. It helps to have someone who is dealing with these concerns on a daily basis to share their expertise.

Now you know that Lohar qualifies as ST in West Bengal.

I already posted that http://lawmin.nic.in/ld/subord/rule3a.htm

Why not also re-read what kds1980 wrote about getting a minority certificate, as issued by religious authority state by state at http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/general-discussion/41803-minority-certificate-2.html#post192724

Jaggyloving

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013

I appreciate your suggestions bt the govt officials of Bengal wat to say......... they never give the proper idea.
when i went to him and said I want a Minority Certificate, he askd me to get some documents and go to the following website and let us know what is your subcaste.
Now after seeing that website which u all also saw says that LOHAR is SC so how will they provide me Minority certificate from this.
m ****** off now!!!!!!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: