• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Meat And Eggs

akamjballar

SPNer
Aug 15, 2006
Except my father, we as a family don't eat meat or eggs. I know that the Guru Granth doesn't talk much about meat/eggs. If anyone can express there Philosopy on it, I would appericiate it.

Dec 8, 2005
Re: Meat and eggs.

You eat what your enviornment dictates.

If in south india you eat Dosa.

If in Bengal you eat fish.

In Indian Punjab we have no hangup.
We eat what ever is tasty and delicious both veg and non veg.

In ethopia you eat starvation

Dont give up on eating meat because Indian phiolsophy says it is a sin.

Plants also have life in them and no holy book says there eating plant life is not a sin and eating animal life ia sin.

happy gobbling:cool:

reagrds and welcome to the philosophers site.

hope you add to the flavour of discussion.

regards

hps62

akamjballar

SPNer
Aug 15, 2006

hps62 said:
You eat what your enviornment dictates.

If in south india you eat Dosa.

If in Bengal you eat fish.

In Indian Punjab we have no hangup.
We eat what ever is tasty and delicious both veg and non veg.

In ethopia you eat starvation

Dont give up on eating meat because Indian phiolsophy says it is a sin.

Plants also have life in them and no holy book says there eating plant life is not a sin and eating animal life ia sin.

happy gobbling:cool:

reagrds and welcome to the philosophers site.

hope you add to the flavour of discussion.

regards

hps62

Thank you for the quick reply hps62.

I just don't understand. For the past 8 years or so I have not eat meat. I am kind of scared to start now since I thought it was against Sikish. If I start eating meat again I'll keep thinking that it's a very big sin. Please help me find a way.

Thank you.

Dec 8, 2005

ssakal

It is not a sin to eat meat as per sikhism as far as my bringing up as a Sikh is concerned.

I believe that it is cruel to kill any livng thing for the thrill of it;

like the sport of hunting.

But as far as food is concerned if you kill enough for your meal it is perfectly all right as per my understanding of sikhism.

Go ahead and enjoy your non veg most sikh love it anyway .

love

hps62:)

nikki

SPNer
Aug 15, 2006

akamjballar said:
Except my father, we as a family don't eat meat or eggs. I know that the Guru Granth doesn't talk much about meat/eggs. If anyone can express there Philosopy on it, I would appericiate it.

hi there ... thats actaully a very good question ... we as human being are meant to be civil .. in the sense that we are to show respect to other living being to the best of our ability... this is where vegeterianism comes in ... you may say that oh by eating plants or vegeterian food we're taking a life as well ... but think about this when we eat an apple from a tree it grows back where as if we cut off a chickens head it wont come back to life again... its all about doing everything to the best of your ability.another explanation is that you become what you eat .... thats wat makes us different from any other animal. Some people argue that God has given us the ability to kill animals and digest animal flesh; therefore God must have wanted us to eat animals. One could easily respond that- God has given us the intelligence and ability to kill humans and digest human flesh, so in that belief system, did God give us this ability because he wanted us to eat human flesh? The flaw in this argument becomes clear here. These people have made the grave error of confusing ability and civility, or ethics... again some pple argue that we eat meant because we have the anatomy to do so.. Men may have the ability to kill animals and eat animal flesh, but that does not make it right. Humans have the ability to do some very bad things. But civilization, ethics, morality, and dharam are all meant to restrain man from exercising his full barbaric, animalistic capability and instead, to elevate him from this animalistic condition to the plane of humanity and even higher to the plane of spirituality.... again pple also argue that some religious sect have made life difficult by putting these restrains and that all they shud do is live life and concentrate on elavating ones spirituality ... its a good thaught ... but attaining spirituality is not a small feat ...if pple have to so wrk hard to attain some mundane worldly object... d u really think that spirituality is attained by just acting however you feel??? it is sad if pple think of vegeterianism as a restrain on ones life... because indeed it does affect ones thaughts and ability to control the mind... which is a major step in attaining spirituality. if ones goal is spirituality and building the perfect bond with God goal than no dietary or any other restriction for that matter would be too big a deal.

Dec 8, 2005

you may say that oh by eating plants or vegeterian food we're taking a life as well ... but think about this when we eat an apple from a tree it grows back where as if we cut off a chickens head it wont come back to life again...

In todays world technology you can kill a chiken and again make it come back to life with cloning like the dolly sheep.

regards

hps62:cool:

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

My logic is this... if you can kill an animal, cut if cut its head off, and then skin it... by all means eat it but know that you have taken the life of something.
For me i dont feel right taking the life away of anything. whether it be bug, animal or preson... but thats only humble opinion. If you are alright with that.. then do what satisfies yourself.

bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

<<For me i dont feel right taking the life away of anything. whether it be bug, animal or preson>>

if we don't kill insects,pests then our survival is not possible

akamjballar

SPNer
Aug 15, 2006

Nikki and everyone else, thanks for the input. It's a hard decision that I have lived with. From the responses it made me feel as I am not the only vegetarian.

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

As per Sants and Sanatan Sikhs side.

eating meat is OK as far as sin or not sin is concern but too much of meat may not be good for health say in warmer regeons like India.

Das eats meat but is instructed by docters to reduce else life can be abnormal.

Das bows to what Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji Bhindrawale said.Eat meat only when needed and never to have acess.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

akamjballar said:

I think most of your questions will be answere here:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/essays-on-sikhism/8828-fools-who-wrangle-over-flesh.html

Sikhism does not concern itself with such a trivial issue. People argueback and forth regarding this issue, and it really comes doen to personal choice. If you don't feel comfortable with eating meat....then don't. Id you are OK, then do. Just don't be hypocritical, and think that eating meat is better or vegetarianism is better............if you don't keep a control of Kaam, Krodh, Moh Lobh and Hankaar, you will be doomed.

Thanks

akamjballar

SPNer
Aug 15, 2006

Thanks for the essay. I have finally found the answer I have been looking for. I have made the choice of not eating meat and I'll stick with it. When my uncle and aunt amrit shakt, they were told not eat meat/eggs. I just don't like the taste of meat and also eggs so it's not that hard of a decision. But thanks for all the information as it helped me out.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

akamjballar said:
Thanks for the essay. I have finally found the answer I have been looking for. I have made the choice of not eating meat and I'll stick with it. When my uncle and aunt amrit shakt, they were told not eat meat/eggs. I just don't like the taste of meat and also eggs so it's not that hard of a decision. But thanks for all the information as it helped me out.

It is something to note however, within my family there are Amritdhari's. About half are vegetarians, and the other half meat eaters. Being Amritdhari should not proclude you from eating a certain diet. End of the day, eat what is good for your mind and body......the Sant-Siphahi must stay mentally and physically fit at all times. :wink:

akamjballar

SPNer
Aug 15, 2006

Randip, I don't agree with you. If you or your fmily are Amridhari's then you should not be eating meat. That's my view, eating flesh of other animals without the need to.

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

As per Akal takaht verdict 1981,only if some one eats Halal,then only Patit else Amritdhari can eat any other type of meat and any type of animal.Yes in Nihungs,only Jhatka is allowed and mno beef.in Taksal,never beef and Jhatka only when no piece of grass is left.

Due to bad health das is having non veg only twice a weak nowdays and repeat that for an Amritdhari from sgpc or say Nihungs or Say baba Virsa Singh Ji,no restriction on non Halal meat.Other then Nihungs rest can have beef also.

(note to Hindu Brethren that there are Hindus in Bali and Arunanchal and say in Tamilas of Sri Lanka,beef is not a tabbo.It is Aryan food they want thesis of Dr Jha(Maitahli Brahmin) can be a grest value and can be provided by das).

akamjballar

SPNer
Aug 15, 2006

Answer this question - If meat is allowed in the Sikh culture then why is it not served at the Gurdwara? I have never seen any real SIKH feasting on meat. As you can go to any Gurdwara in the world you will not see meat being served in the Langar hall. I just don't see the point of meat being served as it's not needed. People who want to eat meat will make stupid excuses and say that our religion doesn't tell us to stop eating meat.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

akamjballar said:
Answer this question - If meat is allowed in the Sikh culture then why is it not served at the Gurdwara? I have never seen any real SIKH feasting on meat. As you can go to any Gurdwara in the world you will not see meat being served in the Langar hall. I just don't see the point of meat being served as it's not needed. People who want to eat meat will make stupid excuses and say that our religion doesn't tell us to stop eating meat.

read the answer from the article fools who wrangle over flesh

Taken from www.sikhs.org
The reason why meat is not served at langar in the Gurdwaras is because langar is supposed to be a symbol of equality of mankind where all people no matter what race, religion or caste can eat together in the atmosphere of brotherhood. Hindu, Sikh, Muslim, it does not matter who they are. Different religions have different dietary restrictions. Hindus cannot eat cow, muslims cannot eat pork and will only eat halal meat. Jews will only eat kosher meat, others cannot eat fish or eggs. But in a gurdwara langar, it does not matter what their dietary taboos or religious beliefs are, the food is designed so that all can eat together and no one will be offended or not be able to partake of the meal.
------------------------------------------------
A History of the Sikh People by Dr. Gopal Singh, World Sikh University Press, Delhi
Commenting on meat being served in the langar during the time of Guru Angad: However, it is strange that now-a-days in the Community-Kitchen attached to the Sikh temples, and called the Guru's Kitchen (or, Guru-ka-langar) meat-dishes are not served at all. May be, it is on account of its being, perhaps, expensive, or not easy to keep for long. Or, perhaps the Vaishnava tradition is too strong to be shaken off.

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Das recomends akamjbalar Ji to visit Hajur Sahib.

Or say in Gurudwaras associted by Nihungs,Afgahan Sikhs or say lower caste converts.

Das has taken Langer of meat and rice once in marraige of Sevadar of Gurudwara who was from Sindh,in west UP village.He offered das that Amrit Dharis sometimes are veggies so if Das could be served with Dal roti.Das told him to serve what is in Langer for all.

Next thing is that there is a concept of Dale Da Prasad (pork)or Mahaprasad (muttan)in Nihungs.

So it is a newr thing not much old that in general Gurudwaras meat is not served while as such in traditonal ones it is still served.

Mar 17, 2005
Toronto

the modern day taksal say something different then what baba gurbachan singh said. in the book gurbani paat darshan he says that if a sikh wants to eat meat they should eat jhatka. but the modern day taksal says that meat isnt allowed period. a question to be answered

i still dont understand why beef isnt allowed? are we worshippers of cows? shows another sign of bhramanvaad!

please read there books and see if they fit the philosphy of guru granth sahib ji

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM