• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Marrying A Girl Wearing A Turban

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
Just a thought that came across my mind after reading the post of sister truthseeker and amerikaurji..

http://www.sikhism.us/sikh-youth/5559-earrings-rings-make-up.html

That how many guys among us here would marry a girl who wears a turban, no makeup, earrings etc...?

and similarly how many girls among us here on the forum would marry a guy with a turban and flowing uncut beard..?

gurufateh

Last edited by a moderator:

moorakh

SPNer
Sep 17, 2005
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Just happened to discover this website today while I was randomly browsing.

As regards bhain Amerikaur, and truthseeker's posts, there are many gursikhs (including me) who INSIST on marrying a singhni who is simple, honest, wears a dastaar, does not wear any make-up, and does not shave her hairs. (Don't we mean all of these things when we talk of a 'GURsikh'??)

(BTW I missed the point about the doctor part in amerikaur's post; I am a physician, and proud to be a practising sikh in the US)

Bhool Chook Maaf.....

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
DeAr Singh ji and Kaur ji

I am also among the one who would like to marry a gursikh girl with turban if I ever got married in my life

And I also feel the same as my friend above about the comment of Amerikaur ji but i think she has just highlighted the point for deciding the lifepartner based on materialistic criteria and doctor happen to be just coincidence in that post

Jatinder Singh

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Veer ji Dr. Khalsa ji is right...then (and now)....I was looking for an educated man to marry.

I found one. And my family absolultely ADORED him. Spiritual values seemed totally unimportant, heck, I didn't go to church that much anyway. What was much more important was that we were young and handsome and fabulous and had a life of wealth ahead of us.

But life moves on. My ex-husband moved in with whom he cheated on me, the two of the got married and are going about their life. I moved to a rented apartment with my cat and discovered Sikhi, determined to serve God better than I had.

BUt, the course has been difficult. Sikhi is not an easy path, Guru Sahib never said it was. But now that I want find a Singh of my own, I would love to find one with a turban, flowing uncut beard, and pyar in his heart for Sikhi.

But I guess for me the question is...of the Gursikh men that would like a Kaur that keeps her swaroop, that also happens to be 30-something, divorced, and not a "desi" ?

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!!

To me personally.. a person who can wear a dastaar, doesn't matter if they are male or female, is the most beautiful person that there is on this earth. I dont think people realize the riducule that many people who do wear Dastaars get, yet they keep there faith in Guru ji... and they wear it out of love for HIM and for HIM alone.
If i were to marry once i am older, i would marry a Sikh with a dastaar and flowing beard there is no question there.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!!

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
truthseeker said:
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!!

To me personally.. a person who can wear a dastaar, doesn't matter if they are male or female, is the most beautiful person that there is on this earth. I dont think people realize the riducule that many people who do wear Dastaars get, yet they keep there faith in Guru ji... and they wear it out of love for HIM and for HIM alone.
If i were to marry once i am older, i would marry a Sikh with a dastaar and flowing beard there is no question there.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!!
Wonderful... Waheguru mehar karan ji

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
Amerikaur said:
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

But I guess for me the question is...of the Gursikh men that would like a Kaur that keeps her swaroop, that also happens to be 30-something, divorced, and not a "desi" ?

Amerikaurji,
i guess there would be lots of gursikhs who dont care if the person is desi or not, or which side of 30 is she or whether she is a divorcee or was never married, as far as she keeps her swaroop and is a guru ki sikhni and is compatible..rest are just details

guru fateh

angad mahal

SPNer
Sep 21, 2005
SatShriAKal to evrybody here THis is a very good topic that we all have picked up. Honestly the reality is that not much of the Sardarni girls prefer guys with ful hair and beard. Even my girl when first saw me said i wasent the guy she was lookin for So this is somethign thats really strange It hurts when the Identity that ur GURUS have given u is now workin against u in many frontiers I ould like to ask evry gurdwara to make this point out n clear
WAHEGURU BLESS ALL OF US

angad mahal

SPNer
Sep 21, 2005
HI there it was really touching story there i m glad that u stood up to the challenges of GOD. I was a Athest too but now there is a time that i cant stop remembering GOD. Anyways i wanted to send u a appriciation message sayin that Just ask Waheguru to give u a guy who loves u n is scared of GOD's Wrath. GOD BLESS U I hope u dint mind me messagin u this way.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
not to sound gay or anything but males with beards look more superior and more mature than males without beards
and to me honestly a girl with a turban is just not sexually appealing i donno maybe its just the way of thinking other ppl have also developed

i am 16 yrs old by the way and i dont shave etc

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Bhagat Singh Ji, i too am sixteen.. soo i guess i understand where you are coming from somewhat because of the society that we have grown up in. But when we are looking for our supposed "partner" we should not be choosing them because they are sexually appealing to us. In fact that goes against our Guru Ji, sexual attraction is simply Kaam... and we work towards over coming this by Guru Ji's Kirpa.
Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

For das without Turban one or even withour uncut hair will work but after marriege das can tell her to keep hair or turban(to be more clerer das can tell her before marriege that after marige she must keep 5Ks).
coming to sexulity some one can feel aruse by seeing Burqa cald women.

It is more to do with respect towards the lady with Turban that we do not feel lust and later even this can help that lady to evade provocatiojn to prevert often due to revealing dress.But is more upto her.As a male das can respect the views of lady instead of forcing own views onto her.

sunvai

SPNer
Apr 23, 2006
Seattle
Alrite ok im a sardani gurl ...and i
I do not prefer of a guy with long hair & flowing beard. I personally do not know y but it doesn’t attract me. Also, I really don’t mind if the hair is uncut but the flowing beard has got to go….Maybe I’m wrong but, it simply does not attract me. I know that guru gobind singh ji and all the other gurus have kept their hair and a beard, yet, generation is changing and people are changing, people all over the world are entering new faces and finding like for other people.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada

Sunvai Bhenji,
If you dont mind me asking, do you keep your hair?

Because from what im gathering its only those who keep their hair that would want a partner who does too. If one doesnt keep Kesh, then why would their partner?
Ya its Guru ji's rehat but in the world we live in today, not many people are follwoing or listening to that.

sunvai

SPNer
Apr 23, 2006
Seattle

Truthseeker,
To actually be being broad I do keep my hair. As I said earlier that I'm quite frankly ok with having a guy with Kesh. However, I just don't want the flowing beard. Maybe because my family keeps Kesh and only cuts beard, maybe it's the influence from my family and their thoughts on life partners.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada

Sunvai ji,
i didnt mean to come off harsh or anything, it was just an honest question. When i asked about keeping hair, i meant all hair on the body not just soley on your head. Hair is Hair no matter where; arms, legs, head, or face its still hair in the end.Maybe an alternative to cutting or trimming the beard could just be to tie it... i know many of my uncles who tuie their beard so that it doesnt look like its soo long and its not flowing in everything.
Once again im sorry to have seemed rude in my other post.

Aug 13, 2004
US
sunvai said:
Maybe because my family keeps Kesh and only cuts beard, maybe it's the influence from my family and their thoughts on life partners.

I understand where sunvai is coming from. It is very true that a girl's perception of her life-partener's looks is greatly influenced by the way her own father, uncles, brothers and cousin-brothers looked like.

It is when Guru blesses someone, that person is put in the company of such Saadh-sangat that a new perception over-writes the one formed under the influence of the family.

As a young girl, I would not have cared if a turbanned Keshadhari man would have trimmed his beard to make it look 'sharp' or just tied it as both ways were practiced in our family with 4 men. Guru was meharbaan and I was very fortunate to realize the 'difffernce' before choosing my life-partener. My life changed. I have always admired the flowing beard of my Singh while his mother always criticized him for doing so (as my father-in-law always tied his.) I hope it helps you understand the women a bit.

sunvai

SPNer
Apr 23, 2006
Seattle
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ke fateh,

Truth Seeker,
No no, I am very very sorry for being straight on, making the impression that you were thinking I was giving a harsh reply. However, I do not disrespect you decision, its just that to me, I do not like guys with beards. Many of my cousins do it, however it’s a thing wear, if your family doesn’t like it, its just that most likely the whole family will copy one another and agree to the same decisions. That is jus how a family works. I understand that hair is everywhere, and that you cannot do really anything about it, unless you shave etc. Also, that you can tie you beard back, that’s wut most my cousins do.
Your post wasn’t harsh at all actually, it was my wording, sorry and please don’t take to heart.
P.S. You are very kind hearted! In a good way!

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
sunvai said:

Truthseeker,
To actually be being broad I do keep my hair. As I said earlier that I'm quite frankly ok with having a guy with Kesh. However, I just don't want the flowing beard. Maybe because my family keeps Kesh and only cuts beard, maybe it's the influence from my family and their thoughts on life partners.

How can you be keshdhari and cut hair, if not.. then why the cutting? the hair is most beautiful, a gift from god.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: