• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Marriage Between A Sikh And An Agnostic/atheist

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
Do Sikhs see a problem between a Sikh and a non-religious person getting married, even if they are both in love and commited to their relationship? I am asking because my fiance is non-religious, she simply does not know if God exist and considers herself agnostic. She wants to have a non-religious wedding when we finally get married, and if this makes her happy i am willing to do this, is it alright for a Sikh to have a non-religious wedding? Myself and my fiance are two different people and i refuse to not marry her over our differences in opinion over religion. Please help me out?

ps. I have another question i may aswell slot in here, do non-baptised Sikhs need to wear the 5 K's?

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

When you get married wouldnt you want to do it it front of Shri Guru Granth Sahib, in the proper sikh wedding ceremony?? ( ie. Anand Karaj) Marriage is like a union right... between your life and your fiances. and if God is very important to you..if not the most important.. wouldnt that maybe cause problems later on in life??? such as... if you want to bring Guru Granth Sahib in the House... she may not feel comfortable with that because she is not into religion or what not.
I dunno this is only my 2 cents hope it helps...

P.S. Sikhs who do not have Amrit don't have to where Kakaars, as it is only a manditroy component for Baptised Sikhs.

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
truthseeker said:

When you get married wouldnt you want to do it it front of Shri Guru Granth Sahib, in the proper sikh wedding ceremony?? ( ie. Anand Karaj) Marriage is like a union right... between your life and your fiances. and if God is very important to you..if not the most important.. wouldnt that maybe cause problems later on in life??? such as... if you want to bring Guru Granth Sahib in the House... she may not feel comfortable with that because she is not into religion or what not.
I dunno this is only my 2 cents hope it helps...

P.S. Sikhs who do not have Amrit don't have to where Kakaars, as it is only a manditroy component for Baptised Sikhs.

I would like to have a wedding in the presence of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, but my fiance wants a wedding that is non-religious, and if it makes her happy i'm willing to make that sacrifice, it is a day which should suit us both, and because i am fine with non-religious weddings as i believe God is everywhere and sees every union whether it be religious or not. But is it possible for me to be a Sikh, and get married to a non-religious person through a non-religious ceremony? Also i'd like to add that my fiance is very supportive of me, especially in my spiritual quest, so she would have no problem of me reading the Sri Guru Granth Sahib in the house, i already read the Koran and the Bible when i am around her, just because she doesn't know whether she believes in God or not, doesn't mean she tries to stop me from believing in God or practising a relgion. True Love = Understanding between 2 people, and that is what we have.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
well let me first start off by saying sorry for my assumptions which you have proven to be false. Umm... i dont really see anything wrong with it then i guess.. but many people have said things like that person you marry should be able to help you on your path in Sikhi... if you feel that some how she can still help you with becoming closer to God... then thats all up to you
Maybe some other learned members can say whether or not it is " permitted" to be married in a non religious setting. But to my very limited understanding we should be getting married in the Gurdwara in the presences of Guru Granth Sahib..also i think because when the prayers are said during Anand karaj.. they are blessing you to have a happy and blissful married life.
I hope that that helps.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Friend

If your fiance is not sure about god then I think it does not make her Atheist / Agonistic in a real sense as I think as long as she is open to your beliefs .

More over marrying you will give her chance may in future to realise the beauty of god which is undeniable to believer

So I think it would be good idea to marry in both the ways I mean in non religious way and also religious way in two diferent ceremonies as it will mean that you both respect each pther beliefs and freedom

Jatinder Singh

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
drkhalsa said:
Dear Friend

If your fiance is not sure about god then I think it does not make her Atheist / Agonistic in a real sense as I think as long as she is open to your beliefs .

More over marrying you will give her chance may in future to realise the beauty of god which is undeniable to believer

So I think it would be good idea to marry in both the ways I mean in non religious way and also religious way in two diferent ceremonies as it will mean that you both respect each pther beliefs and freedom

Jatinder Singh

That sounds like a pretty good idea, thank you, i will suggest it to my fiance. I just hope this all works out in the end, and we finally do get married, it means so much to me. Cheers for your time.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: