• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kirtan

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

I just wanted to know the sangat's view on doing kirtan. Should kirtan always be done in Raag? And if it is then what happens to those you do not do it in raag? Would one call them manmat and leave it at that or is there something else.

The reason i ask is because just this past week a Prof from the UK was here in Ottawa, Ontario doing kirtan with 8 of his students. He talked about how we should all be doing kirtan in Raag, which i agree with to some extent, and he also said that we should be using classical instruments ie the Rebab, Taus, dilruba etc.
Sangat Ji what do you guys think?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

The question asked is "Should kirtan always be done in Raag?"

Someone should confirm it where the Gurus have instructed anyone to do so.

A Raagee, running a music school, should not pretend to be one Sikh Gurus.

Many Sikhs recite Gurbani. I hope these music professors do not bar Sikhs realizing God because they do not sing Gurbani in Raags.

Some preach that we should sing Gurbani only in Raag. They have nothing to do with Guru's message. They attach them to Raag (lust) alone in my view.

Balbir Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
truthseeker said:

I just wanted to know the sangat's view on doing kirtan. Should kirtan always be done in Raag? And if it is then what happens to those you do not do it in raag? Would one call them manmat and leave it at that or is there something else.

The reason i ask is because just this past week a Prof from the UK was here in Ottawa, Ontario doing kirtan with 8 of his students. He talked about how we should all be doing kirtan in Raag, which i agree with to some extent, and he also said that we should be using classical instruments ie the Rebab, Taus, dilruba etc.
Sangat Ji what do you guys think?

Yes Kirtan been a source to Salvation for many saints. Well known are Meera, and Naamdev.

Music, due to its distinct sound vibrations does cause a lot of assistance on the path for a seeker. But only if it is done with one pointedness. If all one is thinking, the new or old instruments; most probably is stuck with the sensual pleasure (kMn rs).That is not going to take one anywhere.

manjotkaur

SPNer
Apr 5, 2006
SSA ji
I happen to come across a site on net and found some knowldge relevant to the question-:Should kirtan always be done in Raag?

Though it may not be correct to call kirtan a distinct school of Indian music, it is certainly a distinct tradition and a new contribution to sacred Indian music. It uses both the classical Hindustani music and desi(folk) music for divine praise and glorification, and employs the local idiom and poetic forms so as to intensify its appeal to the masses. Its objective is spiritual inspiration and its medium is the emotional appeal of both pure and popular music. By combining the purity of raga and tala with correct intonation and feeling, its appeal extends even to highbrow musicians.

In kirtan, more important than the musical element is the feeling of love and devotion of the disciple. Even the best and perfect melody, unless accompanied by true belief and sincere feeling for God, may be of no avail. According to the Gurus, mere technical perfection of musical rendering and vocal skill is not kirtan.

I hope this may be of some help i just copied and pasted it from the site on net .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM