• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kakar

Seburiel

SPNer
Feb 23, 2008
San Antonio, Tx USA
Greetings,
This may be simply an odd question, but, as I don't know any Sikhs in my area to ask, here goes:
Where may I find these items:
Kangha, Kachera, Kara (preferably thicker, as I'm such a large man), and Kirpan (does anyone know of one that's 4.5-5.5 inches long?)?
I'm 6'6" (~2meters) tall, so, the one site I looked at didn't have the kachera in my size.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Seburiel,

Very often a kara and kirpan are bought at a gurdwara. Here is a gurdwara right near you. A pretty famous one too.

Gurudwara Sikh Center of San Antonio Sikhism
6011 Hollyhock
San Antonio, TX 78240
Phone: 210-696-1009

It is against forum rules to advertise commercial sites in this part of the SPN forum. So I won't be steering you toward specific web sites. But here are a couple of suggestions. Ebay has a big market in kakars. Also google "Khalsa Kirpan" and see what is there. Finally, you don't live all that far from Dallas and Houston. Of course it is a drive. But there are gurdwaras in both cities, and stores in Indian neighborhoods. Just go to one store and ask where to find things and if they don't have it they will tell you where to go. Forum member Jasleen ji I know can answer these questions.

If you send me a private message I will send you a link to an online store that carries all the kakars. But I don't want to post this and break forum rules.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Greetings,
This may be simply an odd question, but, as I don't know any Sikhs in my area to ask, here goes:
Where may I find these items:
Kangha, Kachera, Kara (preferably thicker, as I'm such a large man), and Kirpan (does anyone know of one that's 4.5-5.5 inches long?)?
I'm 6'6" (~2meters) tall, so, the one site I looked at didn't have the kachera in my size.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wow what great phsyique .Your khalsa look will be awesome :):)

Seburiel

SPNer
Feb 23, 2008
San Antonio, Tx USA
Okay,
Thank you for allowing me this forum in which to ask a great many questions.

1) Is there any prohibition on a kirpan being sharp?
2) Is there any rule about what form a kirpan must take? (is it the commonly-seen shape, or may it take the form of any knife?)
In advance, thank you!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sebouriel

If you go to the link Khalsa Kirpan you will see all the traditional kirpan shapes and sizes. I don't think you would want to wear a non-Sikh type of dagger. For example a Goth dagger with thorns wrapped around the handle and a forest nymph sitting at the top of the blade.

As for a sharp blade. In many states there are laws against carrying a knife around in public with a blade that is longer than 1 1/2 inches. So check on this. Every state in the US is different. Most Khalsa jios abide by this in the US unless there is a ceremonial occasion where they wear the real stuff. I have mine (4 1/2 inches) in my jacket pocket usually. But no one is going to stop an old lady on suspicion of carrying concealed.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, Ji- a fellow Texan here! Yes, there are Gurdwaras in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area, and one has begun in Austin. My suggestion is to type in the yahoo or google search bar, "Sikh Gurdwaras Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Texas"
and you should get some sites and contact information. Meanwhile, in going to those Gurdwaras, I would highly recommend driving, since then you are on your own timetables, and you do not have to worry about checkpoints at airports and so on. You will be transporting a lot of steel, after all!
A further word for you, Ji, when you have to travel by air. At the security checkpoints, I never, ever, take off my Kara. Never. For one thing, I can't. I grew into it, so to speak. Even if I could I would not take it off. (I also recommend that no one ever take off any jewelry at those checkpoints, anyway. In spite of their pathetic little signs saying they are not liable for loss or theft, a good lawyer would make mincemeat of that!) They may wish to do a pat down search, and most have been fairly well trained in that, so not really to worry. For further info, go to Sikhnet.com, and they regularly post articles on such items.
Wahe Guru,
Kulwant

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM