• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jayanti/Birthday Of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji

bodhi

SPNer
Oct 25, 2006
Dear Members,

Sat Sri Akal.

I am a practicing Hindu in the traditional way, who has a lot of respect for Sikh faith and its Gurus. I especially find very encouraging and spiritually inspiring the life and words of the first Guru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji and tenth Sri Guru Govind Singh Ji.

Friends, I have never celebrated the birth day of Sri Guru Nanak Ji, like we do for Buddha Purnima, Ram Navami, Krishna Janmashtami etc. But I think I should. In light of the upcoming Jayanti of Sri Guruji, I would like to know how should His birthday be celebrated? How do keshdhari Sikhs celebrate? How do people who don't go to or dont have access to Gurudwaras celebrate this day etc.

Once again, Sat Sri Akal to all. May all live in peace.

Jul 10, 2006
Dear Members,

Sat Sri Akal.

I am a practicing Hindu in the traditional way, who has a lot of respect for Sikh faith and its Gurus. I especially find very encouraging and spiritually inspiring the life and words of the first Guru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji and tenth Sri Guru Govind Singh Ji.

Friends, I have never celebrated the birth day of Sri Guru Nanak Ji, like we do for Buddha Purnima, Ram Navami, Krishna Janmashtami etc. But I think I should. In light of the upcoming Jayanti of Sri Guruji, I would like to know how should His birthday be celebrated? How do keshdhari Sikhs celebrate? How do people who don't go to or dont have access to Gurudwaras celebrate this day etc.

Once again, Sat Sri Akal to all. May all live in peace.

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh

The birthday of Sri Guru Nanak Dayv Ji is usually celebrated in April.
Please see http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-gurus/5020-birthday-of-guru-nanak.html?highlight=birthday

I guess if you dont have access to the Gurdwara, you could recite Jap Ji Sahib at home and also listen to Gurbani Shabads.

Aug 17, 2006
Oakland, CA
Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh
The birthday of Sri Guru Nanak Dayv Ji is usually celebrated in April.

How odd -- the listing of gurpurabs found at sikhspirit.com (the link is near the top right of the page) says that the anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji's birth is observed on November 5.

Does anyone know why there's such a difference?

My husband and I were (are?) planning to use it as impetus to get out of our usual weekend routine and actually go to gurdwara next Sunday morning. We'll still go, I think, but it would be nice to know whether to expect an ordinary weekend day or an especially celebratory one...

Jul 10, 2006
How odd -- the listing of gurpurabs found at sikhspirit.com (the link is near the top right of the page) says that the anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji's birth is observed on November 5.

Does anyone know why there's such a difference?

My husband and I were (are?) planning to use it as impetus to get out of our usual weekend routine and actually go to gurdwara next Sunday morning. We'll still go, I think, but it would be nice to know whether to expect an ordinary weekend day or an especially celebratory one...

I think I am mistaken here. It is still celebrated in November.

Source: The Sikhism Home Page: Sikh Calendar

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]* Guru Nanaks birthday has been traditionally celebrated on Katik Poornamashi. Althought the correct birth date has been established as Vaisakh 1 (April 14), it will continue to be celebrated on Katik Poornamashi until such time as it is changed to Vaisakh 1. Katik Pooranmashi in 1999 is on November 23 and in 2000 is on November 11."

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Guru Nanak Dev Ji 5th November 2006 Gurpurab Divas[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM