• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Japu - A Noun Or A Verb

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear all!

I heard often preachers talking about Japu Ji Sahib. They try to convince us that Japu is the title of the beginning part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. In their view, Japu is a noun.

I got curious to know. What is the verb if Japu is the noun?

Please express your views. I will be grateful.

Balbir Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear Arvind Ji!

Does it make a sense when someone writes a noun alone, for example 'Arvind'? 'Arvind' makes a sense when a verb describes and adds an action to 'Arvind'.
My request (query) is also directed to those experts who feel the Guru's word 'Japu' is a noun. I wish to ask them which verb is describing or added to the noun 'Japu' when occurred for the first time.

Balbir Singh

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Balbir Singh said:
Does it make a sense when someone writes a noun alone, for example 'Arvind'? 'Arvind' makes a sense when a verb describes and adds an action to 'Arvind'.
Veer ji, Above does not make any sense to me, or perhaps this is something beyond my intellect. I understand that the noun 'Japuji' is a name given to the opening bani in Guru Sahib. And this looks all fine to me! absolutely.

Regards.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all!

It seems that I was not able to express my question clearly. Please allow me to put it in a fresh effort again.

The name of a person, place or thing is a noun. Suppose Arvind is a name. Reading the word Arvind alone immediately raises a question. What, where, when, why or who is Arvind?

Some preachers explain that 'Japu' is the title of the first part of Gurbaanee. They ask us to recite repeatedly the rest part following the word 'Japu'.

My question is what is the verb here when 'Japu' is the subject noun and rest of the Baanee is the object noun.

In my view, a statement from the Guru in ecstasy cannot be incomplete and without a verb. Specially, when Gurdev found God active where all subjects and objects got dissolved into ONE.

Balbir Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM