• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Sex Wicked?

Suneet Kaur

SPNer
Nov 6, 2004
Chandigarh
Is Sex Wicked

Reena is going out with a man hoooooooo…….is often a gossip of millions around the globe raising the brows among the people, yet looooooothe sex surrounds in the same number of people’s aura but irony of the fact is that since Manu law’s the discussion of the mere word sex is considered shameful and in need of covering as though it was wicked as well as crime involving modesty.

Since human beings and animals appeared on the earth, God made Man and Women as two opposite sexes for procreation and developing the essence of togetherness and touch but in the male dominated society the male virtues loads on the female’s sex and her body. But what we forget that every human being has sexual impulse which is as natural as any other human organ.

Every love between men and women involves sex and every sex involves intimacy and unification of soul. The ancient arts and scripture around the globe are filled with the air of sensuous feelings that we adore. You can feel the essence of love and sensation in the Ajanta and Elora caves which are crafted ages back and in this love and sensation are the sounds of the smell of God.

While most of the bodies are more or less insignificant and seldom occupies our attention, our essential activity seems concentrated on these two centers, head which is a seat of our intelligence and the sexual centers. Both male and female sexual organs have sort of personality and by no means insignificant ones. They play very imposing roles in all the relations, gestures, conversations and memories of lovers. They have their histories. For sexual epicures they are always to some extent individualized, and in those in whom sensuality has undergone a really strong development. And it is no doubt that it is much the same for those who look upon them as enemies, and who, by their hostility, show that they regard these organs as the most redoubtable as foes.

No one can tie their bandage around their eyes and hide themselves behind the virtue of being Hanuman Bhagat, even the most considered*virtuous* *Vishwamitra* couldn’t resist the temptation of most beautiful *Apsara* and succumbed to her. Everyone could easily call to mind examples from his or her life or from that of his friends or acquaintances about this beautiful feeling which they called Love and Sex. Woman who considers terrible thing to show her body feels spiritual satisfaction when she lies with her lover in bed, and the same is true for men. What holds shameful for women and men now is the most blissful thing to adore and cherish. And this violation of modesty is all the more piquant in that it is purely temporary.

We say that with the age the feeling of sex diminishes in many but the circumstances of their life, their environment, their failing attractions and fear of ridicule compels them to be prudent and unwilling restraint but they are no less apt to retain the need for sexual pleasure.

So why make such a hue and cry of sex and love when both are beautiful gifts of God but meaningless sex without emotion is what we should adhere ourselves from. This meaningless sex without love is what is called Lust. This is what Kamala Das, the famous poet of India, of which every student of Indian Literature knows of let her “Mind Striptease” into revealing in her poem “Freaks” that:

“….The heart, An empty cistern, waiting
Through long hours, fill itself
With coiling snakes of silence…….”

The sex is meaningless which instead of bringing the two lovers closer alienate them. Here both the lovers enjoys fondling each other but there is emotional vacuity in both, the mind longs for the purer pleasure and the heart yearns for the deeper emotion , but the body mocks both with the desire, physical desire.

Rape, prostitute, extra-marital affairs which is continuously hounding us revealing us to the fact that the emotional vacuity, loneliness and adverse circumstances are the reasons that doesn’t allow the humans to enjoy sex spiritually and led them to act nefariously leading notwithstanding the victims souls but their souls also to crush.

Thus providing the sound knowledge of love and sex is profoundly important and it began with the teenagers emphasizing on the fact that sex is not which should be hated or teased but safe sex and sex which does no harm but good should be followed and the instincts of both head and heart should be listened and acted upon.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Suneet Ji,

I first discuss your article.

I am not able to agree with you when you say that 'Every love between men and women involves sex ------involves --- and unification of soul'. What is the rational behind this understanding, I will like to know. I have not concluded yet, I am still studying it, one branch of Tantras (Vamachara) have rituals around these acts. Based on my current understanding through I have serious doubt about unification of souls by sexual act.

I have been to Ajanta and Elora caves, may be I have missed the sensuous art and sculpture there ( may be what I call sensuous and what other mean by this word is different) . Sensuous sculpture I saw in Konark, Khajuraho, Puri, and many temples of Bhubaneshwar (Lingaraja temple, Rajarani Temple) and even in Jain temple in Ranakpur (the entrance on the underside of the roof). Though I cannot claim to know all, such sensuous scultpure of ancient time I have not seen elsewhere in the world, I have visited places in Europe and Middle east. Even what we she in India belongs to particular philosophy and is not applicable to all philosophies. Also you may note that sensuous sculpture which I have mentioned above is on the outer walls of the temples none on the inner walls. There is a message for us in it.

Now I respond to the question which is the title of your article.

Is sex Wicked? The answer is no and yes.

Sex is natural, how can it be wicked. As you have said in your article that it is for procreation. When it is for this purpose it cannot be wicked, the male and female are just performing their natural duties. The society also permits it within the institution of marriage. Here the two married individuals are performing their Dharma. It cannot be called wicked.

Outside the above stated domain, just for pleasure, it is lust. For some individuals it has become profession; some individuals under its influence commit crime like rape. Here no love is involved. It is just exploitation of one by the other. Here the sex is wicked.

Sex is a natural urge. Any natural urge, when satisfied in some defined domain ,for the purpose for which the nature has created that urge, it is not wicked. The same, when is unrestrained and free becomes a lust and so becomes wicked; it can distroy the social fabric.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Forgive me forum members. But I do not believe that sex is wicked. Rather, people can be wicked and may do wicked things -- sometimes they do wicked sexual things. Sometimes they also do things that are wicked from anger, from greed, and from haumei and personal arrogance. :)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
pk70 ji

I think there is even a tuk about that -- charity given with malice or in ego.[/quote)

Aad bhain ji
I think the following Guru Vaak defines the intent of charity, indeed, it is wicked. If you have another one please share in context of intention.
ਰਾਜੇ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਹਿ ਪਰਥਾਏ ਆਸਾ ਬੰਧੇ ਦਾਨੁ ਕਰਾਏ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਈ ਥਾਕੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਈ ਹੇ
Rāje ḏẖaram karahi parthā▫e. Āsā banḏẖe ḏān karā▫e. Rām nām bin mukaṯ na ho▫ī thāke karam kamā▫ī he. ||9||
The kings did good deeds for some self-interest. Tied to some hope, they gave, in charity. Without the Lord's Name, they could be emancipated not, though they grew weary of performing other deeds.
ਪਰਥਾਏ = ਕਿਸੇ ਗ਼ਰਜ਼ ਵਾਸਤੇਬੰਧੇ = ਬੱਝੇ ਹੋਏਮੁਕਤਿ = (ਆਸਾ ਦੇ ਬੰਧਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ) ਖ਼ਲਾਸੀ

ਰਾਜੇ ਲੋਕ ਕਿਸੇ ਗ਼ਰਜ਼ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਾਤਰ ਧਰਮ ਕਮਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਦੁਨੀਆਵੀ ਆਸਾਂ ਦੇ ਬੱਝੇ ਹੋਏ ਦਾਨ-ਪੁੰਨ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ (ਇਹ ਸਭ ਕੁਝ ਉਸ ਲਕ-ਟੁੱਟੀ ਦਇਆ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਹੀ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ, ਇਹ ਲੋਕ ਤੇ ਪਰਲੋਕ ਦੋਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਸੁਖ ਹੀ ਭਾਲਦੇ ਹਨ)। (ਦਾਨ-ਪੁੰਨ ਆਦਿਕ ਦੇ) ਕਰਮ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਥੱਕ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ (ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਸੁਖਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਆਸਾਂ ਤੋਂ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਖ਼ਲਾਸੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਦੀ (ਇਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਦਾ)
In essence: As king display a show off charity, others do too but it is done with an intention of interest, behind it, it is not compassion but a hope to receive rewards hereafter. In the next vakas it is made clear that liberation comes through Lord’s Name because whatever is done being in love with Him, is in pure compassion utterly free from any self gain or hope as Bhagat Puran Singh ji did(nishkaam)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

Maybe I am losing my memory -- back to the drawing board for me. I promise I will re-read the tuk and see if I am thinking of another one before I open my big mouth. :shutup:

Sorry I made you repeat yourself with the same tuk.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

I think this was the one I was thinking of

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ ੧ ॥
salok ma 1 ||
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਸਤੀ ਪਾਪੁ ਕਰਿ ਸਤੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥
sathee paap kar sath kamaahi ||
Men of
charity gather wealth by committing sins, and then give it away in donations to charity.

ਗੁਰ ਦੀਖਿਆ ਘਰਿ ਦੇਵਣ ਜਾਹਿ ॥
gur dheekhiaa ghar dhaevan jaahi ||
Their spiritual teachers go to their homes to instruct them.

ਇਸਤਰੀ ਪੁਰਖੈ ਖਟਿਐ ਭਾਉ ॥
eisatharee purakhai khattiai bhaao ||
The woman loves the man only for his wealth;

ਭਾਵੈ ਆਵਉ ਭਾਵੈ ਜਾਉ ॥
bhaavai aavo bhaavai jaao ||
they come and go as they please.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
pk70 ji

I think this was the one I was thinking of

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ ੧ ॥
salok ma 1 ||
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਸਤੀ ਪਾਪੁ ਕਰਿ ਸਤੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥
sathee paap kar sath kamaahi ||
Men of
charity gather wealth by committing sins, and then give it away in donations to charity.

Aad Jio, thanks for finding it. Yes it also shows how charity becomes an act of wickedness; so our point is supported. It is the intent that makes any act wicked.
Just sharing with you that translation of this whole sloka doesn’t mach with other scholars like De Sahib Singh and, Freedkoti Teeka.
S. Manmohan Singh, Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha ji agree with this translation with exception, so do I, the exception is the last line which, as this translator has interpreted, doesn’t make any sense to me. Let’s look at it.

ਇਸਤਰੀ ਪੁਰਖੈ ਖਟਿਐ ਭਾਉ
eisatharee purakhai khattiai bhaao ||

The woman loves the man only for his wealth;
Absolutely correct. Now look at the following

ਭਾਵੈ ਆਵਉ ਭਾਵੈ ਜਾਉ
bhaavai aavo bhaavai jaao ||
they come and go as they please.

What does mean by this? Here it is not men’s will but their women’s will is expressed, it’s their “care about their men” which is pointed out. This translator couldn’t go beyond the words to translate the meaning in full. All other scholars do right interpretation.
Actually Guru ji says that the wives want money, they don’t care if they come and stay with them or go away, it doesn’t matter to them. They just want money. Literally relationship is reduced to money-relation. It gives also hint towards the intent of relationship. Rest is fine.
Forgive me for addressing this issue, just couldn’t help it. Thanks again.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

No, I actually appreciate your vichaar on this tuk. The line you refer to is ambiguously translated. My own interpretation of this line is that "the woman" may not mean "their wives" in the ordinary sense -- but the idea that women in general "women around them, including prostitutes" only want them for their money. And these women come and go as they please because they are using the man, and can take him or leave him. Just my thoughts.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Manmohan Singh translation is

ਸਤੀ ਪਾਪੁ ਕਰਿ ਸਤੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ
सती पापु करि सतु कमाहि ॥
Saṯī pāp kar saṯ kamāhi.
The men of charity, give in charity the wealth, amassed by committing sins.

ਗੁਰ ਦੀਖਿਆ ਘਰਿ ਦੇਵਣ ਜਾਹਿ
गुर दीखिआ घरि देवण जाहि ॥
Gur ḏīkẖi▫ā gẖar ḏevaṇ jāhi.
Their Guru goes to their home to impart instruction.

ਇਸਤਰੀ ਪੁਰਖੈ ਖਟਿਐ ਭਾਉ
इसतरी पुरखै खटिऐ भाउ ॥
Isṯarī purkẖai kẖati▫ai bẖā▫o.
The woman loves the man for his money,

ਭਾਵੈ ਆਵਉ ਭਾਵੈ ਜਾਉ
भावै आवउ भावै जाउ ॥
Bẖāvai āva▫o bẖāvai jā▫o.
otherwise she cares not, where from he comes and where he goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
And these women come and go as they please because they are using the man, and can take him or leave him. Just my thoughts.(quote aad0002 Ji)

Aad Bhain jio
Respecfully I disagree because Guru ji is defining relationship of man and woman, he is stressing the idea of their"reduced relation to money" relationship. If they were prostitutes, why money is questioned then? So it is about men's presence, if they stay or go, it doesn't matter because they were attached to the money. Prositutes are openly for money, why would Guru ji would use the word "khattia" would use. Nost of the translators and interpretors are right, I ifeel.
Prostitution is known for money to begin with:)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: