• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

mattinathens

SPNer
Oct 17, 2007
Hi All,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

My name is Matthew and, although have been registered on here for some time, this is my first post.

I first came into contact with Sikhi around 7 or 8 years ago on a trip to India, and since then have had some interraction with Sikhs around the world, either via the web or in person.

Am here to continue to learn more from all of you on here. Thank you for having me here.

All the best
Matthew

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
I left the Catholic Church five or so years ago. I could no longer attend mass without feeling like a hypocrit. I do not believe that Jesus is God. God is One. In my journey I have encountered many good words of Judaism, Islam, and I have learned much from the words of the Buddha and his followers.
I took a quiz on a website called beliefnet.com that asked many questions about my belief in what God is and what God does. There were also many other questions about ethics and moarality. Much to my suprise, when I submitted my answers, I was told that my outlook was that of the Sikh faith. Now I need to find out about the Sikh faith in some depth. Any direction for an American would be helpful.

Thanks,
Chuck

Hello Chuck Ji!
...this sounds strangely familiar to me. ;)
Welcome to this forum, may it provide you with the answers that you seek.

mattinathens

SPNer
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the welcome. Would it be possible at all for someone ot point me in the direction of a thread on here (if one exists) on the basics of Sikh scriptures ie. which to read, when to read them etc.

Am aware of the significance of the SGGS, but is there other writing that should be read as well. How are the scriptures structured?

Would especially welcome any hints on which scriptures to get started on. OK, it seems obvious that the SGGS should be read, but, there again, does that get read in it's entirety? From start to finish or are there certain passages on should read first?

This are probably the types of questions a child would ask :-D Fortunately, am not that proud so as not to ask them :- D Seriously, though, am a complete newbie when it comes to scripture, and would be most grateful to any help or advice anyone could pass on.

All the best,
Matthew

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
mattinathens ji

Let me take a look at threads here on SPN. There may not be exactly what you are looking for, but rather general discussions. I would also send a pm to forum member Soul_Jyot who maintains many spiritual articles that cover you question. The other thing to do is to "Google" the term "nit nem" or Daily Banis.

In any event I will get back to you with more information.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
mattinathens ji

Back briefly,

Go to this link on SPN Guru Granth Sahib

The major Banis or scriptures recited by Sikhs on a regular basis are discussed. The link directs you to a forum on SPN Called Guru Granth Sahib. You will see links to threads such as Japji Sahib or Anand Sahib. If you were to click on any one of those links, you would see more threaded discussions where forum members speak to the Bani in question. Start with that, while I search more for more specific materials.

This forum link speaks directly to your question.
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/general/8877-daily-prayers.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Respected mattinathens ji

I have found something very helpful....go to this link.... notice there is a tabe in the upper left hand corner that will take you directly to the Bani that you choose to recite or learn. It is labeled Paath -- which is the technical term for "doing particular prayers at certain times of the day." They are all there.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks for the welcome. Would it be possible at all for someone ot point me in the direction of a thread on here (if one exists) on the basics of Sikh scriptures ie. which to read, when to read them etc.

Am aware of the significance of the SGGS, but is there other writing that should be read as well. How are the scriptures structured?

Would especially welcome any hints on which scriptures to get started on. OK, it seems obvious that the SGGS should be read, but, there again, does that get read in it's entirety? From start to finish or are there certain passages on should read first?

This are probably the types of questions a child would ask :-D Fortunately, am not that proud so as not to ask them :- D Seriously, though, am a complete newbie when it comes to scripture, and would be most grateful to any help or advice anyone could pass on.

All the best,
Matthew

Hi Matthew!

Welcome to this forum. I have a very useful link for you in case you haven´t got it already. May you find answers to your question and many more.

Main Page - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Julia,

Welcome to the forum. We have many interesting resources ranging from spirited discussion on current events to deeply reflective thinking about God and spirit to lifestyle interests including media and books.

So please find this an interesting second home.

Julia

SPNer
Jun 5, 2008
Kazakhstan / Russia
Hello, aad0002! I'm glad to receive your response. I love sikhizm and the Ideology itself!
Please, give me a piece of advice - how to insert a picture in my profile, and where are the profile settings situated?? :hmm: :unsure:

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Welcome to SPN!! :)

Just look at the your right side and you would see a "My Settings" Box... Just explore it and you will be there....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hello, aad0002! I'm glad to receive your response. I love sikhizm and the Ideology itself!
Please, give me a piece of advice - how to insert a picture in my profile, and where are the profile settings situated?? :hmm: :unsure:

DUHH! :eek:You are asking me? I used to be able to do this, but the Edit button on my profile is not working since the new software upgrade. And Aman is looking into it, but there are so many changes to make right now that that little issue can wait.

Maybe someone reading this thread can explain it. For reasons known only to V-Bulletin the software platform for SPN and to Waheguru, I am the only person on the forum who cannot answer this particular question at this time. Once things are working on my profile, I will explain, if someone doesn't beat me to it! :D

Sorry... usually I can help.:eek:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Julia ji

I think I figured it out. Aman Singh ji has been telling me all along that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.

Here is what you do. Look in the upper left hand column of this web page. You will see a button that says "User Profile." Click on that button.

When you navigate to the next page, look to the left of the screen. There you will find the CONTROL PANEL. There is a long list of user links listed. Near the top, 3rd one down, is the choice "Edit My Profile Picture."

Click on that, and navigate to the next page. On the next page, you will see a window where you can upload a picture of yourself. So select BROWSE in order to upload a picture from your computer. Then find the folder on your compuer where your picture is located. Next Upload. Then Save.

That should work.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Even simpler... can you see this image at the right side of the screen?
aman-singh-albums-spn-gallery-picture194-profile1.jpg

You can edit almost everything from this My settings box...

Julia

SPNer
Jun 5, 2008
Kazakhstan / Russia
Thank You, my Dears! I love You with all my soul! I've found profile changing icon, though there are other inscriptions, but unable to upload a pic (reduced it till 100x100 pix & 56 Kb, but it anyway gives the message: "Upload file failed")
But I think that with time it will be settled.
Thank You!
Love
Julia

parry

SPNer
Jun 6, 2008
SSA i belong to sikh family and i belive in only one god.about me not any special in me. i am simple person like other.some people like me but i like all world's people who is saint or devil.all is created by one my god.ok that's it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: