• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jimmysikh

SPNer
May 30, 2018
Hello, Amardeep. Thank you for the reply. This id something for me to explore about gurdwara in my area. I live near Hampstead Heath in London. Maybe someone on this forum knows gurdwara near my area? Thanks.

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
Hello, Amardeep. Thank you for the reply. This id something for me to explore about gurdwara in my area. I live near Hampstead Heath in London. Maybe someone on this forum knows gurdwara near my area? Thanks.
You can also google gurdwaras in your area. If you are really serious about learning Sikhi, then you should get a copy of the daily banis. Google Sacred Nitnem, and you can find a copy. Or through Amazon.com. They are all taken from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and give an overall introduction and reminder of basic Sikh beliefs. You can also pray to God to help you find some nice Sikh friends.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Jimmy, the closest Gurdwara to Hampstead Heath would be the Shepard's Bush Gurdwara, one of the oldest ones in the UK, if my memory serves me right. You live in London, you can stop any turbaned Sikh in London and have an interpersonal chat about Sikhi and other things. There are quite a few Gurdwaras there. The biggest one is in Southall which is a bit off the way from where you live.

Please share your experiences here about your journey.

Thanks for your interest in Sikhi. Enjoy your journey. We are all here for you.

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
Jimmy, the closest Gurdwara to Hampstead Heath would be the Shepard's Bush Gurdwara, one of the oldest ones in the UK, if my memory serves me right. You live in London, you can stop any turbaned Sikh in London and have an interpersonal chat about Sikhi and other things. There are quite a few Gurdwaras there. The biggest one is in Southall which is a bit off the way from where you live.

Please share your experiences here about your journey.

Thanks for your interest in Sikhi. Enjoy your journey. We are all here for you.

Jimmy, you asked me this but I can't find your quote, so I will reply here:

Thank you Amardeep. I will read the information on SikhiWiki. I am also here to share my experience knowledge, also to find new friends and learn from all of members :)
How is NY? I haven't yet been to USA, I have a cousin who is American. Hopefully soon I will go for holidays to the states. How big is the Sikhn community in States and Canada?

Jimmy, New York is ok. I live in Brooklyn, so I don't get into Manhattan very often. Most of the gurdwaras in NY are in Queens. I have seen a few Sikhs in my neighborhood, but I have not had the chance to ask them about themselves or they go to a gurdwara closer than the one in Queens that I go to which takes a long train ride. My gurdwara is the Sikh Cultural Society http://www.gurudwarascsny.com/?page=1

According to my understanding there are approximately 700,000 Sikhs in the US, all over the US actually--even in places I never thought Sikhs would end up--with the highest concentrations being in California, New Jersey, and New York. Since the 9/11 attacks, it is has been very difficult for Sikhs here because of the hatred for Muslims and the perception of Muslims as terrorists. Since Sikhs wear turbans and beards and often traditional clothes such as a kurta or salvar suit, the other Americans think we are Muslims and therefore terrorists. There have been a lot of hate crimes toward Sikhs, with sharp increase since the 2015 Republican presidential race and the subsequent election in which there has been a great deal of hate rhetoric and officially supported racism. Harassment, beatings, discrimination, turbans knocked off and hair cut off, murders, people shouting, "Terrorist! Go back to your own country!" I myself have been the object of this kind of hatred, though thankfully it has never reached to the level of physical violence. In response to this, several Sikhs started a non-profit self-help organization called the Sikh Coalition which provides free legal assistance to Sikhs who have been the victims of hate crimes, discrimination, etc., and have been working with schools, local governments, etc., to provide education on Sikhi and the fact that Sikhs are not terrorists. According to them, 60% of Americans have no idea what Sikhi is about, so we have a lot of work cut out for us. America is a great country, and I am grateful to be a citizen. Though times have been rough over the past few years, I have faith in the American legal system, the good-heartedness of most Americans, and the fact that all immigrant groups and minorities who have had problems have eventually been able to become part of the American fabric. And too, Sikhs know how to take care of themselves and Waheguru and our gurus are always watching over their children.

Jun 30, 2018
Sat Siri Akal : my name is Chetan Sharma, born in Hindu family, living in Punjab, India. I am revising my teachings from Shri Guru Granth Sahib ji. My opinion is best way to rectify is discussion.

Lily Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Jul 22, 2018
Sat Sri Akal! My name is Lily, and I'm still trying to figure out how this site works, so I hope this is the correct place to supposed to post this! I'm a Sikh from New Zealand currently living in the United States, and I'm currently in university studying linguistics, hoping to specialize in the languages and linguistics of Sikh literature and liturgy. I've joined largely because there's no sangat near me; the closest Gurdwara is 70 miles away (over 100km) and it gets lonely without a Sikh community nearby. It's really nice to meet you all!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sat Sri Akal! My name is Lily, and I'm still trying to figure out how this site works, so I hope this is the correct place to supposed to post this! I'm a Sikh from New Zealand currently living in the United States, and I'm currently in university studying linguistics, hoping to specialize in the languages and linguistics of Sikh literature and liturgy. I've joined largely because there's no sangat near me; the closest Gurdwara is 70 miles away (over 100km) and it gets lonely without a Sikh community nearby. It's really nice to meet you all!

Guru Fateh Lily,

Welcome to SPN. We will never let you feel lonely again. I had a great Kiwi friend Rowan when I lived in Brazil many moons ago. Please feel free to ask anything and post anything you would like to. No posts are moderated here because the connection of a Sikh is with her/his Guru, no go-betweens needed.
Hope to learn from your thoughts.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

G'day neighbour (sort of)! Welcome to SPN. Your studies sound fascinating and I wish you all the best with them. Hope to see your posts around the forum soon :)

Tavleen.Kaur

SPNer
Aug 13, 2018
Hi,
I'm Tavleen Kaur. I live in Canada, Toronto. Have been through a lot in life and would like to get in touch with people and learn from their experiences and to learn from gurbani and the teachings of our gurus.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hi,
I'm Tavleen Kaur. I live in Canada, Toronto. Have been through a lot in life and would like to get in touch with people and learn from their experiences and to learn from gurbani and the teachings of our gurus.

Welcome to SPN Tavleen ji. May you enjoy your stay.

Jaipal Singh

SPNer
Aug 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

My name is Jaipal Singh, i live in London, England.

I have been a passenger with Sikhism, following my parents and family, but now I wish to learn for myself. I look forward to learning from you all.

I am also a musician, and wish to also study more about the raags used in the SGGS. If you can point me in the direction of this topic that would be appreciated.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hello everyone,

I have been a passenger with Sikhism, following my parents and family, but now I wish to learn for myself. I look forward to learning from you all.

I am also a musician, and wish to also study more about the raags used in the SGGS. If you can point me in the direction of this topic that would be appreciated.

Welcome to SPN, Jaipal ji. I hope you enjoy your stay.

There is some information about raags on the SearchGurbani website here - if that's the kind of information you're looking for.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Hello everyone,

Welcome to SPN. We have lots of sections here. Please explore and share so we can all learn together

Yosi

Prahlad Singh
SPNer
Aug 26, 2018
Amboy, WA
My name is Yosi. From what I know of Sikhism so far this is where I want to be. I have been to gurudwar a couple of times and love it. I have the Sikh bracelet and when my hair is long enough I will wrap it up. Feel free to contact me and help me find my way. I'm not close to a gurudwar right now but im moving to Colorado soon and will make an effort to get more involved.

Yosi

Prahlad Singh
SPNer
Aug 26, 2018
Amboy, WA
The Sikh couple who owns the local grocery store have been talking sikhi with me and I get some foods they bring in to sell (I ask for samosa and gulab mostly :D) Gurban (the husband) said he will bring me in a turban and show me how to wrap it. What color should I ask for?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM