• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Sat sri akal and welcome to SPN, Satoko ji,

welcomekaur welcomemunda welcomekaur welcomemunda welcomekaur welcomemunda

If you want to learn about Sikhi from Sikhs, this is the right place. We are a very open, friendly group and will love having you among us.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, as well as searching our forums. I think all of us here love talking about Sikhi.

Personally, Japan has always been a country I admire and would like to know more about. I admit a lot of my knowledge is from ancient Japanese history through the mid Twentieth Century and not a lot about now. I was afraid the old values that I admired so much might have been lost, and I was so very happy to see how the Japanese people responded to the trisaster this year. It showed how well people can behave when they choose to. I am sure we can learn much from you as you also learn from us.

KartarAasra

SPNer
Dec 15, 2011
Kartar Aasra Trust, www.kartaraasra.org a registered NGO, runs an Old age and orphanage home near Lake Club Chandigarh. Old age home is meant for senior citizens who are unable to stay with their families or are destitute. The trust also takes care of mentally and physically disabled persons to live an honorable life.

The fading joint family system in India and other innumerable factors have given rise to west-inspired phenomena of old age homes. Surprising cost of living and scanty return on savings have almost pushed the senior citizens on roads. Such an act has triggered the security net of the helpless, which has almost vanished in many states in India with Punjab topping the list.

Senior citizens are seen by many people as being feeble in mind and body and as economic burdens on society, and they are labeled with pejoratives such as “geezers” or “old fogies.” They have started walking out of their own home in search of a journey that promises peace, joy and celebration of life with a group of people who share the same boat of life (the wrecked one). However not may rather any of them receive the comfort and peace of mind. There are more than a thousand old age homes in India. Most of them offer free accommodation. Some homes work on a payment basis depending on the type and quality of services offered. Apart from food, shelter and medical amenities, old age homes also provide entertainment facilities, yoga classes and other social activities to senior citizens. The old age homes have special medical facilities for senior citizens such as mobile health care systems, ambulances, nurses and provision of well-balanced meals.

Old age homes also provide access to telephones and other forms of communication so that residents may keep in touch with their loved ones. For older people who have nowhere to go and no one to support them, old age homes provide a safe haven. These homes also create a family like atmosphere among the residents. Senior citizens experience a sense of security and friendship when they share their joys and sorrows with each other. Some old age homes have day care centers. These centers only take care of senior citizens during the day.

Young people with vigor and strength forget that the time is not far when they too may be in the same shoes. If you respect the ones who turned you into a fine being, then just hold their hand and lead them straight into your home. Help them live the last few days of their lives without the feeling of loneliness.

Kartar Aasra is located in the foothills of the Shivalik range of the Himalayas in Chandigarh, northwest India. Kartar Aasra is surrounded by dense forest and Sukhna Lake just few meters away. World famous rock garden is just 1.5 km away and Punjab and Haryana High Court, Vidhan Sabha just 2 Kms away. One feels deep sense of peace and ease here and the feeling of desperation disappear once you get here. Kartar Aasra has forests surrounding it which sustain many animal and plant species. Deer’s, Sam bars, Barking Deer’s, Parrots, Woodpeckers and Pea{censored}s inhabit the protected forests. Sukhna Lake hosts a variety of ducks and geese, and attracts migratory birds from parts of Siberia and Japan in the winter season. Banyan and Eucalyptus plantations. Asoka, Cassia, Mulberry and other trees flourish in the forested ecosystem.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
i have a lot of questions that i dont know the answer to and although i know i will never know everything i m just trying to make myself a better person i try to follow sikhism but do quite often stray from this path. quite often my children who are now teenagers ask me questions regarding my faith which i cannot answer because of my ignorance and hope that on this site i will be able to find some answers that strengthen my belief instead of questions that shake it.

Jas ji,
A warm welcome. Education is the key to dispelling ignorance, confusion and suspicion. Education is the most powerful tool we have. Good luck welcomekaur

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Sat Sri Akal,

Hello everyone in SPN.
At first, I give you all my respect for the Sikhsim.

I'm Japanese graduate student who study about Sikhs and Sikhism in the U.K.

As I need first-hand information about Sikhism, I've registered.

:mundabhangra:

Thank you,

Regards,

Satoko JPN

Satoko ji,
A very warm welcome to SPN. I have travelled a lot and love meeting people from different backgrounds and cultures. I believe the world would be a much happier place if we would all just learn from each other! I hope you enjoy your time here welcomekaur

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Kartar Aasra Trust, www.kartaraasra.org a registered NGO, runs an Old age and orphanage home near Lake Club Chandigarh. Old age home is meant for senior citizens who are unable to stay with their families or are destitute. The trust also takes care of mentally and physically disabled persons to live an honorable life.

The fading joint family system in India and other innumerable factors have given rise to west-inspired phenomena of old age homes. Surprising cost of living and scanty return on savings have almost pushed the senior citizens on roads. Such an act has triggered the security net of the helpless, which has almost vanished in many states in India with Punjab topping the list.

Senior citizens are seen by many people as being feeble in mind and body and as economic burdens on society, and they are labeled with pejoratives such as “geezers” or “old fogies.” They have started walking out of their own home in search of a journey that promises peace, joy and celebration of life with a group of people who share the same boat of life (the wrecked one). However not may rather any of them receive the comfort and peace of mind. There are more than a thousand old age homes in India. Most of them offer free accommodation. Some homes work on a payment basis depending on the type and quality of services offered. Apart from food, shelter and medical amenities, old age homes also provide entertainment facilities, yoga classes and other social activities to senior citizens. The old age homes have special medical facilities for senior citizens such as mobile health care systems, ambulances, nurses and provision of well-balanced meals.

Old age homes also provide access to telephones and other forms of communication so that residents may keep in touch with their loved ones. For older people who have nowhere to go and no one to support them, old age homes provide a safe haven. These homes also create a family like atmosphere among the residents. Senior citizens experience a sense of security and friendship when they share their joys and sorrows with each other. Some old age homes have day care centers. These centers only take care of senior citizens during the day.

Young people with vigor and strength forget that the time is not far when they too may be in the same shoes. If you respect the ones who turned you into a fine being, then just hold their hand and lead them straight into your home. Help them live the last few days of their lives without the feeling of loneliness.

Kartar Aasra is located in the foothills of the Shivalik range of the Himalayas in Chandigarh, northwest India. Kartar Aasra is surrounded by dense forest and Sukhna Lake just few meters away. World famous rock garden is just 1.5 km away and Punjab and Haryana High Court, Vidhan Sabha just 2 Kms away. One feels deep sense of peace and ease here and the feeling of desperation disappear once you get here. Kartar Aasra has forests surrounding it which sustain many animal and plant species. Deer’s, Sam bars, Barking Deer’s, Parrots, Woodpeckers and Pea{censored}s inhabit the protected forests. Sukhna Lake hosts a variety of ducks and geese, and attracts migratory birds from parts of Siberia and Japan in the winter season. Banyan and Eucalyptus plantations. Asoka, Cassia, Mulberry and other trees flourish in the forested ecosystem.

Sounds like a noble mission. I wish you all the best!

ClearMind

SPNer
Jan 13, 2012
Hi everybody, I've been a Taoist for about four years now. It's been amazing for my spirituality and my well being. However, I wouldn't consider it a full religion per say, it is more of a spiritual philosophy. I first became interested in Sikhism when I saw a documentary on Nat. Geo. about India. The host went to an area that was mostly Sikh and had someone show him around. I really appreciated the kindness and compassion of the locals, while at the same time, all the men he talked seemed very tough, with many of them being soldiers. It seemed they possessed the mindset of "live and let live", while at the same time, they lacked the pacifism that you see Buddhism. The most striking however, was that during the documentary, the Sikh area was the only one where the local Muslim and Hindu population seemed to be integrated with the community and treated as equals. All of the local Sikh get togethers that were featured had Hindus and Muslims partaking and being treated as if they were fully apart of the community, nobody seemed to even notice that they were dressed differently. I thought this was simply amazing after watching the first hour of the documentary, where the local religious minority always looked segregated and unhappy.

Anyway, the concept of God which Sikhism teaches seems to be the one which I already hold, That God is the source of all life and the creator of of everything. I wish to find a religion because I need an outlet to pray to god and a system of morals to pass down to my kids if I ever have any. I have two questions however, which with searching I can't seem to find a straight answer. First, can I become a Sikh and still keep cutting my hair? As a young professional, I pretty much am required have a clean face and a neat hair cut. I also lift weights and recently started shaving all the hair off my legs and torso as well. Is being hairy an absolute requirement? Second, Is there anything taught in Taoism which contradicts the teachings of Sikhism?

Regards,

ClearMind

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ClearMind welcome to spn.

This being Introduction thread it is not appropriate to answer many questions you asked.

Opening a thread in the right section is very straight forward. Give it a try this is pretty open forum and people do try to help with what they know. Sometimes it is what you like and other times an answer that one may not like. Generally upfront and courteous is the norm but not necessarily passive and sugar coated.

Sat Sri Akal.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Dear ClearMind, Welcome to SPN!

We do hope you find what you are seeking! We have a dedicated section for the newcomers here: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/new-to-sikhism/ You can begin your quest on Sikhism by starting a thread there... and there is plethora of information that you can get by using the search option...

All the best!

Gurfateh!

Aman Singh

Jan 9, 2012
Sat Sri Akal to one and all!
You're probably wondering (some of you are definitely wondering) about my double-barreled adherent marking. I was born a Jew, and have spent the past half of my life as an Orthodox Jew. Up until several years ago my knowledge of Sikhi was no different from that of anyone else I knew - absolutely nothing. Ironically, it was Jewish meditation and an on-line search of meditation techniques that jump started my acquaintance with the world's youngest major religious group.

It started out as a brief overview, but I now find it to be an ever deepening fascination and love for a path that speaks to the deepest parts of me. Had Sikhi - at its present stage of development - been around when I was searching for a connection to God so many years ago ... well, I don't think there's much doubt as to how I would have chosen then.

But now here I am, with a large family and a tight community, living in Israel with no face-to-face access to any Sikhs (other than the present Indian ambassador!). These dynamics require me to live a double life, and this one is secret. For different but equally heartfelt reasons I really can't see giving up either identity, and if the day when I'm forced to make a choice never comes ... I guess the Beit Din shel Ma'ala (The Heavenly Tribunal) and the Great Judge of Dharma will have to go into conference and find a way to work it out for me. Meanwhile, thanks for the pleasant company along the way!:blueturban::)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Awakeand Singh ji welcome, take care and wish you and the family all the best in 2012. mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Sat Sri Akaal to all.
I am new to this and am a keen learner. I am from the so called washed out 3rd generation of anglo-sikhs. I am 39 yrs age and my grandparents moved to UK in late 1940's. my father was also born in the UK like me. With the few indian friends I had even at a young age, I knew then that I was a generation or 2 ahead but was behind in cultural values.
Most of the punjabis I knew that I grew up with have lost their cultural values and have mixed marriages etc. I have tried very hard to stay attached to sikhism and am very thankful for the media and internet that make learning sikhi so much easier for someone like me that has difficulty translating/understanding gurmukhi.
I now live in Vancouver, Canada and love the strong influence the sikh community has here compared to the UK for my children. I know that some are very critical of gora sikhs but I must say that over here in North America I have been amazed at how much someone like me can learn and progress from white sikhs and majority of young sikh youths. I feel very dedicated to learn as much and to live the way of life in the Khalsa way. I hope that I can learn and correct my path with the help of fellow sikhs from around the globe.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh veer welcome to Canada. You definitely picked a good city to call your home.

Don't just read, start threads, ask questions, ask for help or offer help. All benefit one way or another even sometimes with tough or controversial posts.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Sat Sri Akal to one and all!
You're probably wondering (some of you are definitely wondering) about my double-barreled adherent marking. I was born a Jew, and have spent the past half of my life as an Orthodox Jew. Up until several years ago my knowledge of Sikhi was no different from that of anyone else I knew - absolutely nothing. Ironically, it was Jewish meditation and an on-line search of meditation techniques that jump started my acquaintance with the world's youngest major religious group.

It started out as a brief overview, but I now find it to be an ever deepening fascination and love for a path that speaks to the deepest parts of me. Had Sikhi - at its present stage of development - been around when I was searching for a connection to God so many years ago ... well, I don't think there's much doubt as to how I would have chosen then.

But now here I am, with a large family and a tight community, living in Israel with no face-to-face access to any Sikhs (other than the present Indian ambassador!). These dynamics require me to live a double life, and this one is secret. For different but equally heartfelt reasons I really can't see giving up either identity, and if the day when I'm forced to make a choice never comes ... I guess the Beit Din shel Ma'ala (The Heavenly Tribunal) and the Great Judge of Dharma will have to go into conference and find a way to work it out for me. Meanwhile, thanks for the pleasant company along the way!:blueturban::)

makes you realise how easy some of us have it................

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA

I have a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness. She was dissatisfied and searched religions on the Internet at the library where she was allowed only to do schoolwork. She found Sikhi and she was terrified that her family would kill her. At the very least they would disown her. She is still alive and a Sikh, but she did move to Amritsar for safety. She is there today, living a full and happy life.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM