• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Sa Shri Akaal, Australian Sikh ji,

Welcome to SPN! welcomemunda

Actually you have landed on the very best website to become more educated about Sikhi. Just about everything you might want to find about all things Sikh.

I also enjoy Gateway To Sikhism.

Then there is my blog, but I'll leave that; I don't one to look too egotistical.

Sit back, grab some chips:interestedkudi:and maybe some nice ginger teagingerteakaur. Wait! It's summer in Oz. Have some ice cream icecreamkudiicecreamkaur and enjoy!

Mai
peacesignkaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Australian Kaur ji

I also welcome you. Definitely Gateway to Sikhism at http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/ is an excellent site, and one you can take a page a day and find a wealth of information. It is vast.

For understanding the shabads of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I also recommend http://www.gurbani.org.

We also have a great resource here, the Dictionary of Sikhism, at this link http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/new-to-sikhism/32671-dictionary-of-sikhism-pdf-download.html It is a pdf file which you can download to your computer. It covers many facts and concepts in Sikhism giving a lot of background. Never does it underestimate your intelligence. It also has a good historical introduction, and was written by 2 of the most eminent Sikh Scholars.

Finally I recommend that you study the pdf file attached to my message. It is a list of the most frequent words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, in English and Punjabi. That will get you started learning how to read the shabads.

Several of our most active members are from Australia and you will enjoy their company.

Think that is enough homework for today? welcomemunda welcomemunda welcomemunda

Attachments

• Gurubani Vocabularies - 330 Most Common Gurmukhi Words in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib.pdf
    198.9 KB · Reads: 172

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL Ji.

Welcome to this Sikh philosophy forum. I think any one who has beliefs in Guru Nanak Dev Ji and his philosophy of living , can call one self as a SIKH (follower) of Guru Nanak Dev Ji).

At current time and date we may have few millions of Sikhs and none of them have their last name Singh.

Yes if your last name is Singh then all the credit goes to Guru Gobindh Singh Ji for his creation of Khalsa with given name SINGH attached as our family name not the caste name one has come from.

Then there are two type of Singh one who are baptized called KHALSA with wearing 5 Ks and other wear turbans still follows fundamental principals of Sikhism and followers of Guru Nanak Dev Ji without being baptized according to modern evolutions of living under democratic societies where every one has right to oppose any suppression of any kinds without taking any arms but making choices to cast their rightful votes to change any Government in our democratic societies.

Hope you will cherish great knowledge and realization of our Creator.

Jaspi

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Celtic and Australian Kaur, welcome aboard! It's good to have some more Western Aussie's to join me!!!

Ishna

jaginder

SPNer
Jan 26, 2011
Hi,
My name is Jaginder Singh. I am located in Perth, Australia.
Currently I am studying digital production and a a one of our final project I script was selected to be film. Its called Antim Ardas, I know its not the best name for a movie, but is you read the synopsis I think you would agree that it has good premise. Well, during the process of researching that I found this site and currently I am looking for suitable music to be incoperated into the movie. Please visit the page I created for this movie. Again the movie is being produced and is yet to be ready. I will update on the progress from time to time on that page. I hope SPN could help me promote it!

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1817654807083#!/pages/Antim-Ardas-The-Movie/175278959180074

Aug 28, 2010
Dear JAGINDER Ji,

Ultimately it is the essence of message your contemplated movie is going to deliver.
I would wish a great success for your project as this may be very important for your career.HARiJi is going to be with you all the times .Wishing you all the best

Prakash.s.bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
jaginder ji

I am certain that SPN will be able to give you the boost you seek for your movie production. The person to contact is Aman Singh ji. But keep us updated as your project unfolds. This is the kind of exciting development that so many of our forum members would like to know. And you will reap support and encouragement too. :)

I welcome you to SPN and please make your visits frequent. Glad that you found us, and happy that you have discovered our resources. Enjoy them. peacesignkaur

spnadmin welcomekaur

grey cells

SPNer
Jan 30, 2011
Hi all! I was born a Hindu and am still a Hindu. But I am not inclined towards any one religion though; I believe in the one god theory, only the way we worship them is different calling them by different names. Visit temples and gurudwara once a week and occasionally churches. Am interested in the never-ending religion-meets-science debate.

Was searching on "How to speak Punjabi?" through google and found this wonderful forum. I am a South Indian, can read, write and speak Hindi fluently and I want to learn Punjabi now for a special person. My question is Can I learn to speak punjabi in 3-4 months?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
grey cells ji

Welcome to SPN. I am particularly intrigued by your story because my husband and I have friends, a family of 40 strong here in the US and more in India, who are believers in "one god" and are also Hindu. Many a good discussion we have had on this point. They describe their beliefs as "vedic" and conceptualize the one god as Vishnu and as formless.

I hope you enjoy participating in this forum. Please never hesitate to seek assistance if you need it.

In answer to your question there is actually a book on the market that promises to teach Punjabi in 30 days. I have copied the link for you.

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/IDJ598/

Let us know what you think if you do decide to try it out.

welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaur

grey cells

SPNer
Jan 30, 2011
grey cells ji

Welcome to SPN. I am particularly intrigued by your story because my husband and I have friends, a family of 40 strong here in the US and more in India, who are believers in "one god" and are also Hindu. Many a good discussion we have had on this point. They describe their beliefs as "vedic" and conceptualize the one god as Vishnu and as formless.

I hope you enjoy participating in this forum. Please never hesitate to seek assistance if you need it.

In answer to your question there is actually a book on the market that promises to teach Punjabi in 30 days. I have copied the link for you.

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/IDJ598/

Let us know what you think if you do decide to try it out.

welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaur

Thanks a lot for the link!:) Hope to participate in the discussions soon and hope I can learn Punjabi in 30 days.

Jan 30, 2011
Satsriakal Ji,
Vahe guru ka Khalsa Vahe Guru Ki Fateh

Am Arjindar Singh from sikh family,
Am Mechanical engineer working with Angelique Internationals In Mali (Africa)
Am interested to this site to have lot of my friends, Download Gurbaani & attached to my culture.

Thankyou

Arjindar Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome to SPN Arjinder ji

I hope that you share some of your experiences in Mali with us. You will probably enjoy many of our sub forums where politics, world affairs, controversies are published. I think also that you will have a lot to share with us about your knowledge of Sikhi and Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I look forward to your participation.

Make your stay here enjoyable. :happykaur: welcomekaur cheerleader

a.mother

SPNer
Jun 12, 2010
Canada
grey cell ji,
Welcome on SPN.You have reminded me about my self many years ago,when I want to learn reading and writing punjabi . Punjabi is my mother language but where I lived that area wasn't punjabi ,so in school punjabi wasn't availavel. And being from farmer's family there wasn't enough time to learn grammer and other things,but when you have passion for something its everything possible. To tell you something good about punjabi very similiar to hindi alphabet and sound. ( for me in school 1st language was hindi also) And now what one day I have started reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji ( Pothi Sahib ji set of four in punjabi ) WITH HIS BLESSING. and how I finish it HE JUST HELPED ME. I know I made many mistakes but I am sure HE HELPED ME NEXT TIME AND I READ ONCE AGAIN AND THIS TIME IT WAS FASTER AND LESS MISTAKES. I mean nothing is hard or impossible and you can do it. I wish you all the very best.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM