• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI

Bhull chuk moaf .

We all are Sikhs of Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Khalsa and Singh and yet be a SIKH are of Guru Gobindh Singh Ji Maharaj
creations.animatedkhanda

SIKH could be without being Khalsa or turbun and think like a Sikh and behave like a SIKH .

Jaspi

animatedkhanda1waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh.
well, i am one of the sikhs of guru gobind singh ji maharaj..i am not a sikh just because i born in a sikh family,but coz i look like a sikh, i think like a sikh and i try my best to behave like a sikh.

Aug 28, 2010
JASPIJI,
DIVINE GREETINGS.

First of all accept my New Years Greetings.

I fuuly appreciate your views mentioned in your post. To be more precise we should say we all are SIKHS of SGGS.

With best wishes

Prakash.S.Bagga

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI.

Prakash .S.Bagga Ji.

LET SAT GURU JI BLESS YOU WITH HEALTHY,PROSPEROUS HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji will always stay as a founder of Sikhism and the rest of 9 Nanaks carried on the torch of HIS divine philosophies by representing Guru Nanak 's JOTE .(SOUL) .

Finally Guru Gobindh Singh Ji Maharaj issued a HUKAM to all Sikhs to follow GURU GRANT SAHIB JI as OUR NEXT AND FINAL GURU and find our GURU's presence in shabads.

Thus we are all Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Sikhs and follow all Nanak's including Guru Granth Sahib Ji as a final Nanak as a Sikh.

BHUL CHUK MOAF IF DAS IS IGNORANT AND LOOK FORWARD TO LEARN MORE.

Jaspi

JASPIJI,
DIVINE GREETINGS.

First of all accept my New Years Greetings.

I fuuly appreciate your views mentioned in your post. To be more precise we should say we all are SIKHS of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

With best wishes

Prakash.S.Bagga

Vic Singh

SPNer
Jan 8, 2011
Hello All,

Love this forum and some really mature discussion going on here. Better than some of the fanatical forums I have seen.

I am Sikh but have cut hair. I don't drink or smoke.

Eat only Jhatka, and hope to keep kesh one day.

Oh yes, my hero is Dara Singh (a real man's man!!), who I think would be the only man who could play our 10th Guru in a film (if a film was ever made) :).
animatedkhanda1

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
VC Singh ji

Welcome to SPN and thank you for your kind perceptions of SPN. Please enjoy this forum as we are only as good as our members can find constructive ways to learn and teach others.

I am also so happy that you were greeting by 3 fine members of our forum so quickly. Get to know them for they will enrich your life.

welcomekaur

celtic

SPNer
Jan 11, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I'm an interested Westerner (from Australia) who once dabbled in Buddhism in his younger years; since then I've looked to Christianity (my family's religion), Islam, the Bahá'í Faith and everything in between .. only recently have I considered Sikhism, but since then, I have very much become interested (and enamoured!) with and by it. I also have a prevailing interest in languages, so I've also started on learning Punjabi.

Nice to meet you all, and I look forward to many interesting discussions soon. :)

Cheers,
Arlen

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm an interested Westerner (from Australia) who once dabbled in Buddhism in his younger years; since then I've looked to Christianity (my family's religion), Islam, the Bahá'í Faith and everything in between .. only recently have I considered Sikhism, but since then, I have very much become interested (and enamoured!) with and by it. I also have a prevailing interest in languages, so I've also started on learning Punjabi.

Nice to meet you all, and I look forward to many interesting discussions soon. :)

Cheers,
Arlen

HI Arlen,

Welcome.

You may wish you learn from some other white Sikh converts on this forum (some who are moderators), and see whether Sikhism is for you.

Many Thanks and Welcome.

PS Welcome Vic Singh.

celtic

SPNer
Jan 11, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
HI Arlen,

Welcome.

You may wish you learn from some other white Sikh converts on this forum (some who are moderators), and see whether Sikhism is for you.

Many Thanks and Welcome.

PS Welcome Vic Singh.

Thank you, Randip ji! (I'm assuming - from a small perusal of the forum so far - that appending "ji" is the way to be polite. If I am mistaken, please correct me!)

I fully intend to learn as much as I can while I'm here.

I'm curious—what is the normal retention rate for those who introduce themselves here who describe themselves as "seeking"? I've had a look around and I notice many accounts with postings who don't return after a few months.

At any rate, I hope not to be the same. From some of the genuinely unbiased discussions I've seen here, I have a good feeling about it. :)

Thank you;

Arlen

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Arlen ji,
A very warm welcome! welcomekaur
People drift and return depending on what's going on in life but we hope you stay :grinningkaur:
It's fantastic that you are learning Panjabi! Where are you learning? I used to attend the Gurdwara's in Blackburn and Cragieburn and I think Cragieburn has classes. There is also a youth camp in Melbourne for all Sikhs and those interested in Sikhism in January but I haven't been sent details this year so not sure if it's already finished.

Ji is a respectful term in Panjabi attached to the end of the name.

Take time to explore as there is a lot of information across the website. Look forward to interacting with you!
welcomemunda
Jasleen

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Arlen/celticji

Welcome to SPN! Yes, "ji" is traditional as a polite way of greeting, from Indian culture. We are one of the few forums related to Sikhism that actually maintains this practice. "findingmyway" has summed up very well the status of members in general, those who are seeking and those who may not be seeking -- there is coming back and forth, sometimes after a period of years. Most members however seem to like to read, as our stats show that traffic is high and our online view has on average 200 to 300 people who are reading but not actively responding to threads.

I welcome your questions and your reactions. Hope to hear from your soon. :)

Last edited:

Tabula Rasa

SPNer
Jan 12, 2011
Hi everyone,
My name is Sarah and I'm interested in learning as much as possible about Sikhism. I've studied a few other religions, namely Buddhism and Islam, but neither has felt right for me. I'm hoping that Sikhism is where I find my comfort zone.

Sarah

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sarah, Tabula Rasa ji

Welcome to SPN. You will certainly find a lot to read here at SPN. Not only is our collection of articles about Sikhi and Sikh History growing by leaps and bounds, so is our section on Interfaith Dialogs.

Please visit often, read, but also post comments and start threads. We look forward to hearing from you. welcomekaur welcomemunda

Roop Kaur

SPNer
Mar 4, 2010
Welcome to the forum Celtic!

I must admit I'm one of those who comes in and out of SPN, but that's only because of the workload I have at home. This is still however my number 1 source for sikh related discussions! I hope you get a chance to have some deep and meaningful discussions with many of the forum members/leaders here, they've been a marvellous help to me - and I think I speak for everyone else when I say that. It's a lovely little online community we have here :)

I must admit, it's also very awesome to see someone from Melbourne interacting on the site - I'm also from Melb! :grinningkudi:

If you're ever interested in going to a gurdwara, I also suggest Cragieburn or Blackburn. They both have very large communities, and I'm sure you can get to mingle with members of the Sikh community on a Sunday, which is when the regular gatherings are. I generally attend the Cragieburn one, it's just BREATHTAKINGLY beautiful!

Oh, and yes, the Sikh camps are also still on! I've never been, but endeavour to do so very soon.

Sorry to bombard you with all of this, but I hope we've made you feel very welcomed here!

peacesignkaur

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Hi, Sarah ji and Arlen ji,

Welcome welcomekaur and welcome welcomemunda!

I must say something about Sikhi and being a Sikh. It is not always comfortable. In fact, it can get pretty difficult and even painful at times. That's OK. There is much to be learned from discomfort and difficulty and even pain. animatedkhanda1

For me, though, it is more fulfilling than it is difficult and more joyful than it is painful. And most of the time, being a Sikh feels really good. I do not know how you will find it.

I do know that Guru welcomes each of us with open arms - and so do we here at SPN. kaurhug

Chardi kala to both and to all of us.

[Elementary lesson in Sikhi: Chardi kala is an attribute embodied in evey Sikh and, I think, one of our more endearing traits.]

And it isn't easy.

I suggest you start with some ice cream and a nice cup of ginger tea. icecreamkaur :singhsippingcoffee: . Doritos are optional. :interestedkudi::interestedmunda:

Last edited:

celtic

SPNer
Jan 11, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, Sarah ji and Arlen ji,

Welcome welcomekaur and welcome welcomemunda!

I must say something about Sikhi and being a Sikh. It is not always comfortable. In fact, it can get pretty difficult and even painful at times. That's OK. There is much to be learned from discomfort and difficulty and even pain. animatedkhanda1

Given a choice between an easy but empty life, and a difficult but meaningful one, I will pick the latter, ten times out of ten.

For me, though, it is more fulfilling than it is difficult and more joyful than it is painful. And most of the time, being a Sikh feels really good. I do not know how you will find it.

I do know that Guru welcomes each of us with open arms - and so do we here at SPN. kaurhug

I will do my best to, starting, I think, with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Thank you :) mundahug

Chardi kala to both and to all of us.

[Elementary lesson in Sikhi: Chardi kala is an attribute embodied in evey Sikh and, I think, one of our more endearing traits.]

And it isn't easy.

I suggest you start with some ice cream and a nice cup of ginger tea. icecreamkaur :singhsippingcoffee: . Doritos are optional. :interestedkudi::interestedmunda:

Thank you very much for your kind words, Mai ji. I have read several of your posts including your backstory, and I am amazed at the abundance of "Chardi kala" which you have embodied your whole life. I don't know even know how to express how astonished I am. :) You are inspirational. Thank you!

I will track down the doritos in time ..

Welcome to the forum Celtic!

Thank you!

I must admit I'm one of those who comes in and out of SPN, but that's only because of the workload I have at home. This is still however my number 1 source for sikh related discussions! I hope you get a chance to have some deep and meaningful discussions with many of the forum members/leaders here, they've been a marvellous help to me - and I think I speak for everyone else when I say that. It's a lovely little online community we have here :)

I must admit, it's also very awesome to see someone from Melbourne interacting on the site - I'm also from Melb! :grinningkudi:

Great! Workload in home matters I can definitely relate to, and this forum has one of the most mature userbases I've seen across any forum (on any topic!).

I was wondering too if there were others from Melbourne here :) I am glad to hear!

If you're ever interested in going to a gurdwara, I also suggest Cragieburn or Blackburn. They both have very large communities, and I'm sure you can get to mingle with members of the Sikh community on a Sunday, which is when the regular gatherings are. I generally attend the Cragieburn one, it's just BREATHTAKINGLY beautiful!

I live in Nunawading (adjacent to Blackburn!) so I will definitely be there soon. The Cragieburn one looks amazing!! (just found its website!) I wish it wasn't as far!! (But I am lucky to live so close to one in the first place, so I shall not be picky.)

Oh, and yes, the Sikh camps are also still on! I've never been, but endeavour to do so very soon.

Sorry to bombard you with all of this, but I hope we've made you feel very welcomed here!

peacesignkaur

That's an interesting idea! I work full time and am about to take on paternal duties, so I may not have time for such a thing in the future, but I wish you all the best with making it to a camp! :)

And please, no apologies! I appreciate the warm welcome :) From everyone! peacesign

celtic

SPNer
Jan 11, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I've just realised I almost missed a question:

It's fantastic that you are learning Panjabi! Where are you learning?

I've started out by learning Gurmukhī online. Learning languages is one of my hobbies, so I have quite some experience in getting to a decent level of understanding and communication with disparate resources (various websites, books, etc.). Once I have enough grounding with this, it might be time for more formal classes ...!

I was happy enough today to be able to read Waheguru/Ik Oankar and some various other tidbits in the Gurdwara this morning ... ^^

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: