• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ajay-N-Jay

SPNer
Oct 14, 2010
Washington
spnadmin ji
Mai Harinder ji

Thank you both for the welcome. My grandparents are pretty amazing people :cool:.

The only member of my family who is not taking my choice well seems to be my Mom. I can't complain though, I am very grateful for what I have. I know that there will be more people along the way that don't agree with my beliefs, but that is okay. I appreciate them for talking to me about their views too because they also help me to realize what I want out of life and as odd as it may seem they help me to grow stronger in my views and as a person.

Singh.Bally

SPNer
Oct 17, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal ji to all. My name is Balraj Singh and i am currently living in Toronto and entirely in this country since last 2 Years. I am planning to move to Montreal. I never been to Montreal before so I'm not much familiar with the city either and I am searching for an accommodation for myself around the city where i can find people of our community. For this i searched a lot online but didn't found anything and even i have no idea where in the city most of our people resides. I will appreciate if anybody could help me in this regard. Meharbaani ji. SSA

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Singh.Bally ji

I wish you well in your question. We have already discussed a proposed move to Quebec by another member. He received some good advice about the transition to Canada and the pros and cons in moving to a French speaking area versus Toronto, and its surrounding towns.

Let's see what advice you get. It is always interesting. I hope you also spend some time here at SPN enjoying what we have to offer in so many different zones of life.

welcomekaur

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
spnadmin ji
Mai Harinder ji

Thank you both for the welcome. My grandparents are pretty amazing people :cool:.

The only member of my family who is not taking my choice well seems to be my Mom. I can't complain though, I am very grateful for what I have. I know that there will be more people along the way that don't agree with my beliefs, but that is okay. I appreciate them for talking to me about their views too because they also help me to realize what I want out of life and as odd as it may seem they help me to grow stronger in my views and as a person.

Yeah, I know mothers can be difficult. They usually mean well, and often they just don't understand. Mine tried to turn me into a Catholic, but it didn't work. (My Dad was Punjabi Sikh and my mother a French Canadian. Go figure.)

Be patient with her. She may be more accepting in time. After all, Sikh is pretty different from Christian and one of the main Christian teachings is that they are right and everybody else is wrong. So tread diplomatically and with love. Of course, she is also welcome to come to SPN and see what we're all about if/when she reaches that point.

And you're right, more people will disagree with you, possibly rudely, along the way. I suggest you just smile at them and wish them well. This accomplishes two things (at least). You have behaved in a gracious, civilised manner like a proper Sikh. And they will probably be annoyed/baffled/confused and possibly curious.

My medical caregiver Irene (other SPNers already know about her) is a Bible-thumping, spirit-filled born-again evangelical Christian who just can't get where I'm coming from, why I feel no need to convince her that I am right and she is wrong. I am learning a lot about dealing with this sort of thing from her. Anything in life can be a learning experience if we are willing to let it be.

kaurhug

Singh.Bally

SPNer
Oct 17, 2010
Welcome Singh.Bally ji

I wish you well in your question. We have already discussed a proposed move to Quebec by another member. He received some good advice about the transition to Canada and the pros and cons in moving to a French speaking area versus Toronto, and its surrounding towns.

Let's see what advice you get. It is always interesting. I hope you also spend some time here at SPN enjoying what we have to offer in so many different zones of life.

welcomekaur

Thanks ADMIN bhaaji, waiting for the advice and hoping for the best. :) :)

Ajay-N-Jay

SPNer
Oct 14, 2010
Washington
Yeah, I know mothers can be difficult. They usually mean well, and often they just don't understand. Mine tried to turn me into a Catholic, but it didn't work. (My Dad was Punjabi Sikh and my mother a French Canadian. Go figure.)

Be patient with her. She may be more accepting in time. After all, Sikh is pretty different from Christian and one of the main Christian teachings is that they are right and everybody else is wrong. So tread diplomatically and with love. Of course, she is also welcome to come to SPN and see what we're all about if/when she reaches that point.

And you're right, more people will disagree with you, possibly rudely, along the way. I suggest you just smile at them and wish them well. This accomplishes two things (at least). You have behaved in a gracious, civilised manner like a proper Sikh. And they will probably be annoyed/baffled/confused and possibly curious.

My medical caregiver Irene (other SPNers already know about her) is a Bible-thumping, spirit-filled born-again evangelical Christian who just can't get where I'm coming from, why I feel no need to convince her that I am right and she is wrong. I am learning a lot about dealing with this sort of thing from her. Anything in life can be a learning experience if we are willing to let it be.

kaurhug

Thank you again. She tries to make it a heated debate and I simply listen and tell her that I hope in time she will at least try to acknowledge my decision.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI

Any organized religion can have a hoard of followers by converting poors and deprived society and uneducated masses without any concrete path to reach the truth without any rituals and any dogma .Organized relegion will creat a walls to be better than each others thus give a birth to all kinds of being different or supperior to lead you fast and direct towards their GOD yet there is one God.

Guru Nanak Dev ji has blessed the whole world to dispel all beliefs of being different from each others by birth or one's richness or by genders but to understand that we all have come from one light and respect each others by appreciating the Ek Onkar.

Sikhism is universal religion. The moment we try to organizes it will split into many groups by each ego ridden priests to have their own groups for their personal gains by tarnishing the real message of all Gurus .

Simple and well wishing of all human beings is the message of Guru Nanak Dev Ji to realizes the Supreme beings yet one do not have to change his normal life styles .One does not have to convert to any faith but convert one's heart and soul to TRUTH by following Gurbani,pure and crystal clear without any kinds of rituals or other practices to reach the realization of GOD.

Jaspi

aman762

SPNer
Mar 5, 2009
Glasgow
Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh ji.. :)
Myself Amanpreet Singh, 24, doing my Masters in Electrical Powr Engineering with Business here from Glasgow, U.K.
I love to explore bout spirituality n like to click nature n self potraits too..lol... :D
I m 5.5yrs f age in Gurughar, n i feel Sikhism is not a religion but its a spiritual way to live life, dont bout salvation exactly but atleast sikhism teaches to live in healthier way for sure.
Gur Barr Akaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
ikonkaar

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome to SPN Amanpreet Singh ji. I am always fascinated by the talented people who join our forum. I have nothing but admiration for your endeavors and hope that your share your wisdom on our many threads.

Thanks for joining and make yourself at home.

welcomekaurcheerleader

hpsarna

SPNer
May 26, 2007
Gurfateh
i m harvinder age 51 residing in Delhi by gur kirpa have deep faith in sikhism. i have been teaching for past 30 years now i m planning to retire and devote my rest of life in spreading the message and spirit of sikhism by holy grace. For this i have collected about 300 gb of audio/video katha, keertan of gurbani anybody interested can have it from me contact at

Please contact harvinder through private message here at SPN. I have removed the personal email because it is not a safe Internet practice. :happykaur:
animatedkhandaharvinder

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
hpsarna ji

Welcome to SPN and thank you for your generosity to forum members here at SPN. It sounds as if you have made a decision that will bring peace and happiness to yourself and to many others on this sometimes woeful planet.

I look forward to reading you comments and discussions here at SPN> welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Sardarji!

You have come to the right place to satisfy many of your interests. The extent of the resources we have will keep you busy for hours.

Thank you for signing on to SPN. And I hope to see you discussing and posting in the very near future.

:)

Oct 29, 2010
I am Davinder Singh Dhanjal of Scotland. I am 67 years of age and interested in sikh history, philosphy and guru teachings and their verification.
I am very keen to contact and learn more about the white and black Singhs, from all over the world, who give an uplift to the sikh faith and practice the faith as it should be rather than make it a business.
I have two grand children who would benefit from the teachings of the sikh faith.
My other interests are green energy, energy conservation and efficient forms of engines and energy storage. Punjabi folk music, sufi music and travelling.

Last edited:

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL Ji

Davinder Dhanjal JI

Welcome to this forum where every one is source of learning and exchanging thoughts with each others to understand the practical ways of living in Sikhism.

Hope you will have wonderful memories being active in this forum to exchange your worthy experiences and wisdom of thoughts.

WELCOME.

Jaspi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
davinder ji

Welcome to SPN. SPN tries very hard to create an atmosphere where learning can take place, where the history and beliefs of Sikhism are accessible to study, reflect and discuss. That you are taking the time to share what you know with your grandchildren is a wonderful thing. And please share your love and knowledge of the environment with us. We have a section on environmental issues, and on law and advocacy. So may your energies match ours and everyone can learn.

welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaur

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Gurufateh, Davinder ji!

I am always delighted when someone in my age group signs on. welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaurWe have a lot to learn from these kids and, if we pay careful attention to ourselves, we might have a thing or two to teach them. :blinkingkaur:

SPN is a great repository of Sikh knowledge and wisdom. Enjoy yourself and have fun.

Don't forget the ice cream!icecreamkaur

Mai

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: