• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Nov 14, 2008
Welcome Sudhir ,:welcomemunda:

feel free to ask anything related to sikhi here .from punjab which city you belongs to ?

m from Indian Institute of Technology (Mandi ) ,persuing PhD in quantum optics .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am Sudhir Kumar, Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Chemical engg. from Indian Institute of Technology (I.I.T.) Delhi. Interested in knowing Sikh scriptures, their meaning, & culture & make friends. I am also a Punjabi

Sudhir Kumar ji

Welcome to SPN :welcomekaur: You bring so many interesting interests and talents to SPN. Please make yourself at home here. I look forward to reading what you have to say on many of our threads that may interest you, from our Science/Tech articles to our section on Punjabi language and culture.

On the simple meaning of ardaas, take a look at some threads we have here, and start one of your own. It is an interesting subject for discussion.

Here is just one example and there are others. http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/14629-ardas-sikh-congregational-prayer.html

Welcome once again. Enjoy :faujasingh:

pushp

SPNer
Mar 12, 2012
Amritsar, Punjab, India
Gurfateh and Welcome to SPN !!

Now that you are here, it is a place for all new members to introduce themselves to the fellow members and for the existing members to cheer the new arrivals.

• To introduce yourself now, simply roll down this page and enter your message in the Quick Reply message box!
And, please enjoy your stay over here and have a nice time!

Warm regards,
Gurfateh!

:blueturban:
Aman Singh
for SPN Administration
Sri Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

My name is Pushpinder Jit Singh
I have joied SPN because I want to learn and understand sikhim is such a way that I can easily teach others , and in my life if posible I can convert a "PATIT" person to become sikh. I am not success full till today but I am trying my level best.:winkingsingh:

pushp

SPNer
Mar 12, 2012
Amritsar, Punjab, India
Sri Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

My name is Pushpinder Jit Singh
I have joied SPN because I want to learn and understand sikhim is such a way that I can easily teach others , and in my life if posible I can convert a "PATIT" person to become sikh. I am not success full till today but I am trying my level best.:winkingsingh:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Pushpinder ji

Welcome to SPN :welcomekaur: Discovery in a good name for this place. So if you are an explorer and enjoy dialog and debate, SPN will be the right place for you to spend some time.

Thanks for joining our network. We are glad to have you aboard. Welcome again :welcomekaur:

Pammi100

SPNer
Aug 1, 2013
WGJKK WGJKF I am here to research about Sikhism so that I can teach young children in English at our local Gurdwara as not many seem to attend on a Sunday. If you can recommend any good sites for child friendly worksheets or any ideas for fun interactive activities would be appreciated .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Pammi100 ji

Thank you for joining SPN. I can make 2 recommendations off the top of my head but will make a point to search out more for you later on.

Here are 2 you may find helpful

at Sikh Foundation, the Family Corner http://www.sikhfoundation.org/family-corner/
and SikhChic, Kids Korner, with many articles written by children for children http://www.sikhchic.com/kids_corner

One other tip I would offer. Use Google to search for sites under "learn punjabi for kids" .... there are more and more each month. Many of these sites have activities for children, not limited to learning Punjabi

Good luck in your search and best wishes for your project. :welcomekaur:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Welcome to all new members :welcomekaur:
Pammi ji,
Before teaching children, it is good to have a good understanding of concepts yourself as kids often ask the most amazing and perceptive questions! Please explore the forum and contribute on threads to help us all learn together, so we are all better able to pass that knowledge onto children.
:welcomekaur:

Marcussan

SPNer
Aug 4, 2013
Sat Sri Akal Ji,
I am studying Punjabi and I am enjoying it very much! Are there any good Punjabi language DVD's anyone could recommend?

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Marcussan ji

Welcome to spn. :welcomekaur: I have found there are several DVD sets. Here is the problem. They all have strengths and limitations. All zero in on one aspect for example, conversational Punjabi. What is your goal? What would you like to accomplish in your studies? Then you can browse what is available and make a useful choice.

Marcussan

SPNer
Aug 4, 2013
Marcussan ji

Welcome to spn. :welcomekaur: I have found there are several DVD sets. Here is the problem. They all have strengths and limitations. All zero in on one aspect for example, conversational Punjabi. What is your goal? What would you like to accomplish in your studies? Then you can browse what is available and make a useful choice.

I wish to become totally fluent in Punjabi. I want to be able to read, write and speak Punjabi. I am starting at the beginning. I am learning how to write the alphabet and vowels like a child. I want to have a solid foundation and learn the Language properly.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I wish to become totally fluent in Punjabi. I want to be able to read, write and speak Punjabi. I am starting at the beginning. I am learning how to write the alphabet and vowels like a child. I want to have a solid foundation and learn the Language properly.

Then I would not start with a DVD set. I would start here. A very good site developed by Punjabi scholars. http://www.learnpunjabi.org/intro1.asp

There is a lot of audio making it possible for you to learn pronunciation and also hear spoken Punjabi. Very basic but good.

Aug 16, 2013
Atlanta GA USA
Hi everyone! I am still studying Sikh philosophy. So far most of the core Sikh beliefs seem to mirror my own. For a long time, I thought that the only match out there would be Buddhism.
I still haven't decided what to think about wearing a turban, I am not sure they would allow it at my school. Schools in America can be unpredictable. Well... anything in America can be unpredictable...

I am a little concerned that, should I choose to become a Sikh, that I might not be accepted by the community, since I am a westerner of European descent. I hope to hear form many of you. I would love to learn of a spiritual adviser / teacher in the North Atlanta area.
Thanks, Eric \ esieffe:singhbhangra:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome esieffe ji to SPN :welcomekaur:

You have asked many important questions. There are active members who post regularly in this forum who will be able to help you find your answers.

Thank you for joining us!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hello Eric, welcome to the board! :cheerleaders:

Turban aside, Sikh philosophy is stilla fascinating subject to learn about, and if and when the time is right you might consider turban then - you don't need to wear it straight away in order to live the Sikh lifestyle.

More and more Westerners are becoming Sikhs every day - I think we're a very fast-growing community. :) Your local Sikh community may be very friendly to newcomers or might be a bit reserved - you'll only know by going, and Gurdwara can be lots of fun.

Regards to a spiritual advisor, Sikhi doesn't really have spiritual advisors outside of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and the community in general. Granth Sahib is a Sikh's Guru.

Hope to see you around the threads. :D

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Hi everyone! I am still studying Sikh philosophy. So far most of the core Sikh beliefs seem to mirror my own. For a long time, I thought that the only match out there would be Buddhism.
I still haven't decided what to think about wearing a turban, I am not sure they would allow it at my school. Schools in America can be unpredictable. Well... anything in America can be unpredictable...

I am a little concerned that, should I choose to become a Sikh, that I might not be accepted by the community, since I am a westerner of European descent. I hope to hear form many of you. I would love to learn of a spiritual adviser / teacher in the North Atlanta area.
Thanks, Eric \ esieffe:singhbhangra:

Welcome to SPN as one of the fellow members!
You have expressed doubts that you would be accepted by the community or not. There is no question of non-acceptance. It is your decision to become a Sikh and every body will welcome you with open arms. Many Sikhs are living in America also and they are adorning turbans and people there have no objection. And who would object if you wear a turban. In solitary cases schools object but eventually with the concurrence of Sikh leaders the schools are convinced that a turban is a religious requirement for Sikhs and agree to Sikh students wearing turbans to schools.
When you interact with Sikhs, go to Sikh Temples(called Gurdwaras) as already suggested by SPNer Ishna ji, you will learn about our religion. The more eager to learn you are, you will find it easy to know the A, B C of our religion.
Take a step forward and become member of Sikh Panth! Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: