• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
welcome Inder preetji

It is my pleasure to welcome you. Please find time spent at SPN a learning experience, leading to all the discoveries you seek.
:winkingkaur:

Enjoy the forum, start discussions, and get to meet the other members.

:welcomekaur: :welcomekaur: :welcomekaur: :welcomekaur:

Evan

SPNer
Jun 14, 2013
Dear Aman,
Hello! My name is Evan Finkelstein and I am a professor at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa. Personal email address deleted for privacy and safety reasons. Contact Evan ji by SPN private messaging/spnadmin

I am currently working on a project/paper to identify what has been called the Perennial Philosophy, the deepest and most universal and eternal truths, in various religious traditions. Now I'm working on Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. I would very much like to be connected to some great Sikh scholars who could help me. Right now I have five main categories that I'd like to explore: 1.The true nature of the Self, 2. Non-violence--showing compassion, love and offering service to all beings,
3. Righteousness and Justice (Dharma), 4. The main purpose of human life, and 5. Meditation. Would any Sikh Scholar (or Scholars) please be able to provide me with about 4 or 5 quotes (or more) from the Sikh tradition of great Gurus for each of these 5 categories? Would you please be able to help me by putting me in contact with Sikh scholars who could help? Please let me know.
Thank you!! Dr. Evan Finkelstein

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dr. Evan Finkelsein ji

Thank you for joining SPN. I welcome you. Since your question is directed to Aman Singhji I will not intrude.

You may want to explore our threads in the Gurmat Vichaar section of the forum, and also threads under Sikh Sikhi Sikhism.

Please enjoy your hours spent here. :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Evan ji

Aman Singh ji has kindly requested that I send you my thoughts. Check your private messages. If you require any further assistance, let me know.

I have sent you a number of bibliographic resources by acknowledged scholars. You have asked "Would any Sikh Scholar (or Scholars) please be able to provide me with about 4 or 5 quotes (or more) from the Sikh tradition of great Gurus for each of these 5 categories?"

SPN strongly discourages the use of individual quotes from the gurus if they are not of Shabad length. Individual verses give extremely misleading impressions. When you are supplied with that kind of information you are being shortchanged.

sikh15

SPNer
Jun 18, 2013
United States
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I am a new Sikh living in Illinois, United States. I have studied all of the world's major religions and have also practiced some of them. I have found a home in Sikhi.

I have joined this forum to learn more about Sikhi and interact with my brothers and sisters in the Guru. I'm still learning a lot of the basics, but I understand enough to know that this is what I want.

I look forward to being here!

Kind Regards,

Justin

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Sikh15 ji to SPN

It is after 2 am now in my part of the world and I will keep my welcome short. It is great that you have joined our forum to learn and enjoy the company here. Please take advantage of every opportunity to interact with us.

:happykudi::welcomemunda::japosatnamwaheguru:

damo

SPNer
Jun 24, 2013
New here. Been exploring various religions and have ended up here. The more I learn the more I realize how much of a good fit being a sikh would be for me. I wold like to read more books, I.hope the library has more.

I must admit that im nervous about the reaction I would get. I haven't told anyone my interest in being a sikh. I havent talked with a sikh before and the temple is hard for me to get to. And I would feel odd walking in witj my bald head and tattoos.

I hope to learn more and make friends.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
damo ji

Welcome. Continue your reading here and also check the web site for Global Sikh Studies for even more material about Sikhism, including a collection of e-books by fine authors.

Here's hoping that you enjoy the discussions and the people you will meet online.

Thanks for joining SPN :welcomekaur::mundakhalsaflag::peacesignkaur:

Take the hair and tattoo questions one step at a time. If you can :kaurhug:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hey Damo, welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing more about you and exploring this way of life with you.

Which religions have you been exploring? I used to be a Neo-Pagan and I've also had a sticky-beak into Catholicism, Asatru and Islam.

Sikhi is definitely the place to be. :kaurkhalsaflagred:

muddymick

SPNer
Jan 17, 2011
Sat Sri Akal, I am man of Irish descent born in the U.K (raised a traditional Roman Catholic) although I have studied most major religions and philosophies (and many minor ones) I have travelled in <?xml:::eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> including the Holy places of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Amritsar and Anandpur Sahib. I originally went to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> to deepen my understanding of the Lord Buddhas teaching by travelling to the historical geographic places he had been at during major events in the genesis of Buddhism. I am a non dualist (through meditative learning) and lean towards the mystic expression of all religions as I believe that in their mystical non-dual aspect all religions are an expression of one reality. I do however realise that most religious expression and belief falls short of this and therefore we have the illusion of difference and the delusion of expressing that difference. I have been very impressed by The Guru's words and feel they resonate in harmony with other traditions I respect and more importantly with the tradition that I have chosen to follow. I am a practitioner/student in the Vajrayana (Tibetan) Nyingma lineage of Buddhism. Our root teacher was/is Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche, 'precious Guru') who many of our Lineages considered Guru Nanak Dev Ji to be an Incarnation of. I have yet to find a word of the Sikh Guru's that is in contradiction to the words of Lord Buddha or Guru Rinpoche. I have many Sikh friends (although more by birth than application) who can not offer me the depth of knowledge I require to investigate the teaching of the Sikh Guru's. I hope I have not waffled too much and look forward t learning and sharing with my Sikh Brothers and Sisters. Sat Sri Akal<?"urn::eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
muddymick ji

Great name! Welcome to SPN. Please make it a point to participate in our Buddhist forum discussions so we can benefit from your knowledge about that religion. By all means, visit all our forums, participate in our discussions, and make many friends here.

Thanks for joining SPN:soccersingh::peacesignkaur::kaurhug::) :welcome:

muddymick

SPNer
Jan 17, 2011
muddymick ji

Great name! Welcome to SPN. Please make it a point to participate in our Buddhist forum discussions so we can benefit from your knowledge about that religion. By all means, visit all our forums, participate in our discussions, and make many friends here.

Thanks for joining SPN:soccersingh::peacesignkaur::kaurhug::) :welcome:

Many Thanks!

inder preet

SPNer
Jun 11, 2013
respected sir
welcome to spn. its a great opportunity to learn abt various things by the help of spn n u cn enhance ur knowledge by the help of spn so its great chance for us. n we wl also learn a lot frm u n wl gain our knowledge here.
welcome once again

Second request. Please do not use SMS texting language. Your contributions are valued. Let us all be able to understand them without strain. Use English, which is the official language of the forum.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM