• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am here looking for information, answers.....and people who might be feeling the same way I do.
I have recently sparked an interest in learning about Sikhi and its philosophy. I feel I don't know anything. I have talked to many friends and family about this and question, why are we so out of touch with our faith? Why are we not grounded in our faith? The answer I feel and others agreed with me is that we don't trust the people in the Sikh faith anymore. We cut our hair on our body and don't do any paat, but yet we are spiritual and strongly believe in our Waheguru and our good contributing citizens of society. I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this, but I feel that Sikhi is only portrayed with people who have beards and turbans. If you open up a pamphlet or watch something on tv regarding Sikhi, i find its mostly people with Dastar's. So people like myself feel left out not knowing where to stand. So recently i have started to do my own research and am reading books from the 18th century written by JD Cunningham and Malcolm. And I realized that I am a Sikh even though I cut my hair and don't do paat, etc. I also have this perception that there are a lot of fundamental sikhs in my society and are portraying Sikhi in an unattractive style that makes no sense. I am turned off of the table and chairs battle, or mandatory covering your head, or preaching that eating meat is forbidden.
anyways....im frustrated and I need to know that I am not the only one feeling this way....or maybe I am the only one.

It is very apparent that you are interested in Sikhism. Since you cut your hairs you are not a Sikh, but believe in Sikhism. Were you born in a Sikh family and started cutting your hairs later on then you have become a Patit.
If you have never taken Amrit (Sikh Baptism) you can start keeping uncut/untrimmed hair hereafter. You may also present yourself at Amrit Chhakaun camps and get Sikh way of Baptism. If you do not like to carry the Kirpan it is immaterial, you are still a Sikh. But to be a Sikh you must be Baptized as per Sikhi way i.e. Amrit Chhakana. You have to do Nitname, read three Banis in the morning and two banis before night fall.
The above is my suggestion. I don't want to fall in controversy. You may consult some Sikh Scholar or well informed Granthi at some Gurdwara.
Meat is not forbidden in Sikhism.
A Sikh is a Sikh and should appear to be a Sikh with his/her hair intact with turban/chuni and the Kakkars. Also important is to live the Sikh way of life, doing path, honest living, helping others if needs/affordability be there, etc.

karamjit1978

SPNer
Nov 16, 2012
my name is karamjit singh ive just got into sikhi ive read the history of the gurus i would love for people to give me knowledge about sikhi especally the meat can i or cant i eat meat been on loads of sites and im not getting anything that says yes or no

May 24, 2008
my name is karamjit singh ive just got into sikhi ive read the history of the gurus i would love for people to give me knowledge about sikhi especally the meat can i or cant i eat meat been on loads of sites and im not getting anything that says yes or no

Karamjit Ji ,
You are on the right forum . This is one topic on which I was seeking clarity & I came across SPN . I have stayed on since then :

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/8828-fools-who-wrangle-over-flesh.html
Go through it I am sure you will get your answer .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
First welcome to all new members I have not welcomed. I have been away for a while.

Now to thank karamji ji who puts it simply.

hi correct me if im wrong but you are not allowed to cut your hair if you are a sikh and you do have to do your part

I lost my hair because of chemotherapy. Hair started to grow back. Then a different cancer popped up. More chemotherapy, and again I lost my hair. Now it is growing back again. And about 6 times a day people say to me, "You look so good with short hair. I hope you will keep it that way." And I reply, "Who knows? It may fall out again."

While silently I want to slap them. welcomekaur

All of us should choose freely on this matter, but try to understand why Sikhs keep hair. Come to terms with it. Imagine a world with Sikhs in it, but where no Sikhs keep hair. Then thank those who do. It is better than giving a slap just to remind others who you are..

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
hi correct me if im wrong but you are not allowed to cut your hair if you are a sikh and you do have to do your part

Karamjit1978 ji,
Satsiri Akal,

When I was about 13 years old I suffered typhoid fever. I was in Burma and the country was under Japanese occupation. There were no medicines available and the medical science was not so advanced as today. I had three bouts of the fever.
The Doctor attending me was an Indian who was arrested by the campetai (Japanese military police) for possession of English currency notes that were legal tender in Burma before the Japs occupied Burma.
A Burmese Doctor was called to attend upon. Since I had very long and dense tresses the Burmese Doctor advised my father to have the hair cut. At this my father shouted at the Doctor saying that it was against our religious sentiments and that he would lose his son and never cut his hair. The next day the Doctor advised that I will not survive the night. But, with the Guru's grace I survived. My parents were prepared to lose me rather than shave my hairs and save me.
Such is the belief and determination in Sikh families who know the Sikh values.
I wish the youth of today embraces this determination in their faith.
You are very right in your views about your religion, the Sikhism.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012

Meat eating is not a taboo in Sikhism. For the sake of brevity I would request you to go through my posts on this subject.

65scott

SPNer
Dec 21, 2011
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for allowing me to join this group. I am searching for the true,straight and narrow path that leads to God. I have read the Bible daily, belong to the Catholic Church, however I must admit that I also try to follow the written Torah. Currently I am reading the Quran and studying the Bahai faith. My first question is how does the Sikh faith view Yeshua/Jesus. Prophet or not, Messiah or not.
Blessings and Shalom to all
Scott

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome 65Scott ji

We are very happy you have joined us. There is nothing specifically written by Sikh Gurus about Jesus. However, Sikhism does reject the idea of prophets and messiahs. So, unlike Islam, Jesus would not be considered a prophet by Sikhs. Today our guidance comes from our last and final guru Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Sikhs have no clergy. There is no deliverance except by an individual man or woman who seeks to connect with the Almighty. We are also guided to respect all religions, even when we do not accept their beliefs or practices. Hope that helps.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes it does thank you. What would be a good starting point for me to learn about Sikhism?

1. Learn about Sikhs by talking to and being with Sikhs. Discover their stories.

2. Read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

3. Ask questions on a forum like SPN.

4. Read Sikh history so you will understand how the beliefs of Sikhism shaped the actions of figures in history. That takes you back in a full circle to point number 1.

Sikhism has no meaning outside of the arena of living its values and teachings. We are not about doctrine, but about liberating ourselves from ourselves.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Thank you for allowing me to join this group. I am searching for the true,straight and narrow path that leads to God. I have read the Bible daily, belong to the Catholic Church, however I must admit that I also try to follow the written Torah. Currently I am reading the Quran and studying the Bahai faith. My first question is how does the Sikh faith view Yeshua/Jesus. Prophet or not, Messiah or not.
Scott

Welcome to SPN brother Scott ji mundahug

It is interesting indeed to have a fellow Catholic seeker here!

As Spnadmin has explained already, Jesus is not mentioned specifically in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. However Sikhs are very respectful of other religions and the Granth is the only sacred scripture of any faith which includes the writings of holy men from outwith Sikhism in its pages.

The rest of this comment has been copied to Interfaith Dialogues/Christianity under the title of The Man Who Never Died.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/christianity/39506-the-man-who-never-died.html

Last edited by a moderator:

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Scott

Sikhism is of the view that every one must have independence of following his/her born with/chosen religion. Sikh Gurus advocate that whatever be your religion, try to be a good adherent of that religion. If you are a Sikh, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Christian or belong to any other religion you should be a good follower of your religion.
Sikhism do not encourage persons of other religions to leave their religion and join Sikhism. Some religious leaders claim that their religion is the only real religion and others are fake and useless and therefore, they should join their faith.
Sikhism regards every religion with respect and do not denigrate any religious personalities.

Preetji

SPNer
Dec 14, 2012
Thankyou for your warm welcome.
I am looking for a copy of Japuji Sahib with english transaltion and a copy of Sidh Goshth with Eng translation . Could you help me locate it.

sandhu21

SPNer
Dec 15, 2012
i am here because firstly i am a born sikh and wanna know more about my roots and my wonderful religion and for last years my life is not going how it should be .or i can say i am totally lost :mundabhangra:.and to listen gurbani give me a sense of belonging and feel really good .i start doing japjee sahib and rehrass sahib path every day or try to do every day and also wanna know the meaning what i am reading so i am here also.thats all about me in simple .now he is my hope and i count on him

waheyguru jee ka khalsa waheyguru jee ke fathey

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM