• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Interesting Thought…

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Interesting thought…
By Bindy Bains

victorykhalsa2.png

The other day, I asked another sikh a question, “How do we spread sikhi to the world?” The response I got back was “Sikhs don’t convert others, people will find it out by themselves in time.”

Now, this really got my brain going, I thought about it for several hours. This was several days ago when I was talking to someone on MSN Messenger. Quite a few hour later, I wrote down another question or thought that has intrigued me for several days now…

“How can people learn sikhi, the true path and follow it… when they don’t even know the path exists?”

I didn’t bother to ask the Singh I was talking to earlier, I already knew what he was going to say. It was pointless to try ask a question that he couldn’t answer.

So today, on SPN, I present the sangat and public with this interesting thought…

How can a spiritual-hungry person follow the true sikh path, if they don’t know that such a path exists?

I will write down my answer after a few reply’s, this is a very serious question that I will need to think about.

Please reply with a question, answer or just a thought on this.

Thanks.

-Bindy Bains
(Formerly Khalsa Starr)

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Just the way - Flowing Water finds its own way...

I read somewhere - when a learner is ready, Master himself finds the learner. It is more of a need of a master than that of a learner.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Arvind said:
Just the way - Flowing Water finds its own way...

I read somewhere - when a learner is ready, Master himself finds the learner. It is more of a need of a master than that of a learner.

Yes I agree with Arvind Ji. In addition I would ask what you mean by the statement 'true sikh path'?

Sikhi is a way to God, and as a Sikh I must belive it is the best way, but I don't belive it is the only way. In fact the more I think about a lovbing God, and the more I see the diversity of people the more I'm convinced that a loving God would provide differant ways for differant people.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
the concept that sikhs don't convert have destroyed sikhism.Guru amardas created masands to spread the message of sikhi.but these days sikh leaders are interested in their politics only.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
kds1980 said:
the concept that sikhs don't convert have destroyed sikhism.Guru amardas created masands to spread the message of sikhi.but these days sikh leaders are interested in their politics only.

A good point, however we woudl want to keep from puschin our religion in other peopels faces likes others have done. Instead, we shoudl give other people the oportunity.

If we can't do that, then at least make available adequate resources for those that enter on their own will.

I want to spread sikhi around, anyone else have that desire??? :unsure:

Lee
What meant by "true sikh path" is that people who follow the basic principles of sikhi and take amrit, i don't believe that sikhi is the only way to god. However, neither can i worship every god in the world, LOL.

just a thought :)

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Of course, we can spread Sikhi around! One of the best ways to do so is to go out into the broader community and do some nice sewas, such as contacting the local Pet Shelter, and offering to walk the dogs and pet the cats. Other such Volunteer work is nice; getting involved with the local Big Brothers/Big Sisters program is good, and encouraging the local Gurdwara to put on a fund raising event for the local schools, police stations, hospitals, fire stations, and making sure everyone in the community knows about it. (I have always liked dance marathons for such events!) Other good sewas could include offering to tutor local junior high and high school students in various basics such as English, History and Math.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee
What meant by "true sikh path" is that people who follow the basic principles of sikhi and take amrit, i don't believe that sikhi is the only way to god. However, neither can i worship every god in the world, LOL.

just a thought :)

Heh Lionchild,

I agree, yet 'Ik onkar' huh. 1 God my friend, only the one.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM