• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

If Have Erred…still I Am Known To Be Yours

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
If have erred…still I am known to be yours

I was asked again to elaborate on the following Guru Shabad, interestingly it has extreme appeal of the soul that has fallen in love with the Lord, an idea promoted by Guru Nanak in almost every of his Shabad. Its like after hearing Guru Nanak soul falls in love with the Lord and expresses how it is felt among living in His creation where it is not much popular. SPN Sangat ji just read the following Vaak, all words appear in musical mode
ਜੇ ਭੁਲੀ ਜੇ ਚੁਕੀ .ਸਾਈ ਭੀ ਤਹਿੰਜੀ ਕਾਢੀਆ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨੇਹੁ ਦੂਜਾਣੇ ਲਗਾ ਝੂਰਿ ਮਰਹੁ ਸੇ ਵਾਢੀਆ
Je bẖulī je cẖukī sā▫īʼn bẖī ṯahinjī kādẖī▫ā. Jinĥā nehu ḏūjāṇe lagā jẖūr marahu se vādẖī▫ā. ||1||
In Essence: If I error or go astray, I am still be known to be yours, those who are into other love, are dying repenting.
ਹੇਮੇਰੇ ਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਭੁੱਲਾਂ ਕਰਦੀ ਹਾਂ, ਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਉਕਾਇਆਂ ਕਰਦੀ ਹਾਂ, ਤਾਂ ਭੀਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਹੀ ਅਖਵਾਂਦੀ ਹਾਂ (ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰਾ ਦਰ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਧਰੇ ਭੀ ਜਾਣ ਨੂੰ ਤਿਆਰਨਹੀਂ ਹਾਂ)ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਪਿਆਰ (ਤੈਥੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ) ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਨਾਲ ਬਣਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ, ਉਹਛੁੱਟੜਾਂ ਜ਼ਰੂਰ ਝੁਰ ਝੁਰ ਕੇ ਮਰ ਰਹੀਆਂ ਹਨ
No claim what so ever about being good, its love expression away from agenda of “man hor mukh hor (out side show is different than what goes in mind); we some time live to prove our claims wrong. When one is in love and observes those who have gone astray, one can see the reason behind those sufferings, it is just because of their being in love with others than the Lord.. In this situation, momentarily joy comes loaded with miseries destined to follow. Next Vaak is about the determination of the soul of sticking to none but Him with a reason
ਹਉ ਨਾ ਛੋਡਉ ਕੰਤ ਪਾਸਰਾ ਸਦਾ ਰੰਗੀਲਾ ਲਾਲੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਏਹੁ ਮਹਿੰਜਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਰਹਾਉ
Ha▫o nā cẖẖoda▫o kanṯ pāsrā. Saḏā rangīlā lāl pi▫ārā ehu mahinjā āsrā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
In Essence: I would not leave the side of my Lord husband; He is my ever sweet love and is my all support.
ਮੈਂ ਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਸੋਹਣਾ ਪਾਸਾ (ਕਦੇ ਭੀ) ਨਾਹ ਛੱਡਾਂਗੀਮੇਰਾ ਉਹ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਲਾਲ ਸਦਾ ਆਨੰਦ-ਸਰੂਪ ਹੈ, ਮੇਰਾ ਇਹੀ ਆਸਰਾ ਹੈਰਹਾਉ
For a soul that is totally in love with the Creator doesn’t believe in those who are powerful because they too depend on HIM, they are not worth to be called support, and how they could be? Again, the picture is coming out of a big landscape in which His whole system is shown in action. There is no doubt about this system and no hyper rationality can put a dent in the faith and love for the Creator. So all support comes from Him. In His love His beauty is visible and that sweet love creates ecstasy ever...
ਸਜਣੁ ਤੂਹੈ ਸੈਣੁ ਤੂ ਮੈ ਤੁਝ ਉਪਰਿ ਬਹੁ ਮਾਣੀਆ ਜਾ ਤੂ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਤਾ ਸੁਖੇ ਤੂੰ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਮਾਣੀਆ
Sajaṇ ṯūhai saiṇ ṯū mai ṯujẖ upar baho māṇī▫ā. Jā ṯū anḏar ṯā sukẖe ṯūʼn nimāṇī māṇī▫ā. ||2||
In Essence: You are my friend and relative and I am proud of you. When you abide within me I feel peace and enjoy being honored as I haven’t any honor otherwise.
ਹੇਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੇਰਾ ਤਾਂ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਸੱਜਣ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਸਨਬੰਧੀ ਹੈਂਮੈਨੂੰ ਤਾਂ ਤੇਰੇਉਤੇ ਹੀ ਮਾਣ ਹੈਜਦੋਂ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ-ਘਰ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈਂ, ਤਦੋਂ ਹੀ ਮੈਂ ਸੁਖੀਹੁੰਦੀ ਹਾਂਮੈਂ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮਾਣ ਹੈਂ
In Asa dee Var, Second Nanak clears the concept of love for the God, that is the concept of Love is advocated in Sree Guru Granth Sahib, let me quote Second Nanak here to understand that to enjoy Guru Vaak.
ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਹਲਾ ਏਹ ਕਿਨੇਹੀ ਆਸਕੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਲਗੈ ਜਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਸਕੁ ਕਾਂਢੀਐ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਰਹੈ ਸਮਾਇ ਚੰਗੈ ਚੰਗਾ ਕਰਿ ਮੰਨੇ ਮੰਦੈ ਮੰਦਾ ਹੋਇ ਆਸਕੁ ਏਹੁ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿ ਲੇਖੈ ਵਰਤੈ ਸੋਇ (Asa Dee Var)
Salok mėhlā 2. Ėh kinehī āskī ḏūjai lagai jā▫e. Nānak āsak kāʼndẖī▫ai saḏ hī rahai samā▫e. Cẖangai cẖanga kar manne manḏai manḏā ho▫e. Āsak ehu na ākẖī▫ai jė lekẖai varṯai so▫e. ||1||
In essence: What kind of that love is if mind also loves others, Nanak says only that one is Lord’s Lover who remains absorbed in Him? If so called lover of God feels happy only if good things happen to him/her but if bad things happens considers the Lord did bad, cannot be true lover
This is the concept to understand His Ordinance, remember who are in love with Lord also stand up against tyranny, so do not get meaning wrong of this understanding of His Ordinance. Now let’s look at the Guru Vaak. In love with Him, God is felt as souls friend and relative and that is the only proud it enjoys, it certainly doesn’t enjoy the proud boasted in statements like” I am this, I am that, I can do this and that etc”. This feeling is felt only when He dwells in the body, He does that when five primal forces are stilled
ਜੇ ਤੂ ਤੁਠਾ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਨਾ ਦੂਜਾ ਵੇਖਾਲਿ ਏਹਾ ਪਾਈ ਮੂ ਦਾਤੜੀ ਨਿਤ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਖਾ ਸਮਾਲਿ
Je ṯū ṯuṯẖā kirpā niḏẖān nā ḏūjā vekẖāl. Ėhā pā▫ī mū ḏāṯ▫ṛī niṯ hirḏai rakẖā samāl. ||3||
In Essence: As you have bestowed your kindness on me, do not let me seek others for support. This very gift of your love, I want to keep always in my mind.
In above Guru Vaak, look at the prayer and compare the prayer we do, usually we do always with a list of things that could push us out of His path, devotees pray to Him in all circumstances. Now when you are happy with me, oh God, do not cause me to see support from others, this is His sovereignty the devotee wants to enjoy, this thing of asking support from others, also can put a dent in the love for Him, so in humbleness soul sings “your love that you bestowed upon me, is all I want to hold on.
ਹੇਕਿਰਪਾ ਦੇ ਖ਼ਜ਼ਾਨੇ ਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰੇ ਉੱਤੇ ਦਇਆਵਾਨ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈਂ, ਤਾਂ (ਆਪਣੇਚਰਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ) ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰ (ਆਸਰਾ) ਨਾਹ ਵਿਖਾਈਂਮੈਂ ਤਾਂ ਇਹੋ ਸੋਹਣੀ ਦਾਤਿ ਲੱਭੀਹੋਈ ਹੈ, ਇਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਮੈਂ ਸਦਾ ਆਪਣੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਂਭ ਸਾਂਭ ਰੱਖਦੀ ਹਾਂ
ਪਾਵ ਜੁਲਾਈ ਪੰਧ ਤਉ ਨੈਣੀ ਦਰਸੁ ਦਿਖਾਲਿ ਸ੍ਰਵਣੀ ਸੁਣੀ ਕਹਾਣੀਆ ਜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਥੀਵੈ ਕਿਰਪਾਲਿ
Pāv julā▫ī panḏẖ ṯa▫o naiṇī ḏaras ḏikẖāl. Sarvaṇī suṇī kahāṇī▫ā je gur thīvai kirpāl. ||4||
In Essence: Let Guru Show kindness to me to hear all about you, Cause me to follow your path and let me see you with my eyes
During this direct talk with the Lord, the soul brings Guru in who helps the soul to be in love with Him. Now remember, this love needs to live, there should be no stop that could hurt it, so this continuity is supplicated. “If my Guru pours his blessings on me, I will listen heartily all said about you oh Lord, tread on your path that leads to you, let me see you with my own eyes my Lord”. Look, it is next step after being in love. The aim of life is changed, Maya achievements become insignificant, longing to realize Him becomes priority; this kind of thinking alone can pursue harmony in the society if followed by all. So the soul in love longs to listen about Him, follow this path and wishes to see Him.
ਹੇਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਜੇ ਗੁਰੂ (ਮੇਰੇ ਉਤੇ) ਦਇਆਵਾਨ ਹੋਵੇ, ਤਾਂ ਮੈਂ (ਉਸ ਪਾਸੋਂ) ਆਪਣੇਕੰਨਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀਆਂ ਗੱਲਾਂ ਸੁਣਦੀ ਰਹਾਂ, ਮੈਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਪੈਰਾਂ ਨੂੰਤੇਰੇ (ਦੇਸ ਲੈ ਜਾਣ ਵਾਲੇ) ਰਸਤੇ ਉਤੇ ਤੋਰਾਂਹੇ ਪਿਆਰੇ! (ਮੇਰੀਆਂ ਇਹਨਾਂ) ਅੱਖਾਂਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਦਰਸਨ ਦਿਖਾਲ
ਕਿਤੀ ਲਖ ਕਰੋੜਿ ਪਿਰੀਏ ਰੋਮ ਪੁਜਨਿ ਤੇਰਿਆ ਤੂ ਸਾਹੀ ਹੂ ਸਾਹੁ ਹਉ ਕਹਿ ਸਕਾ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰਿਆ
Kiṯī lakẖ karoṛ pirī▫e rom na pujan ṯeri▫ā. Ŧū sāhī hū sāhu ha▫o kahi na sakā guṇ ṯeri▫ā. ||5||
In Essence: Millions are your virtues, if I express them will not be equal to you, (you are so great and beyond expression), you are the king of kings, I cannot detail your virtues as they are inexpressible,
ਹੇਪਿਆਰੇ! ਤੂੰ ਸ਼ਾਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹ ਹੈਂਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਬਿਆਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੀਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਕਿਤਨੇ ਹੀ ਲੱਖਾਂ ਤੇ ਕ੍ਰੋੜਾਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਦੱਸਾਂ, ਤਾਂ ਭੀ ਉਹ ਸਾਰੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਇਕਰੋਮ (ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ) ਤਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਅੱਪੜ ਸਕਦੇ
. Focus is on Him and His wondrous qualities. Heart says “you are king of kings and your virtues are inexpressible”
ਸਹੀਆ ਤਊ ਅਸੰਖ ਮੰਞਹੁ ਹਭਿ ਵਧਾਣੀਆ ਹਿਕ ਭੋਰੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦਰਸੁ ਰੰਗੁ ਮਾਣੀਆ
Sahī▫ā ṯa▫ū asaʼnkẖ mañahu habẖ vaḏẖāṇī▫ā. Hik bẖorī naḏar nihāl ḏėh ḏaras rang māṇī▫ā. ||6||
In essence: there are countless your friends , all are better than me(humbleness), if you eye me with your grace and let me see you, I too can enjoy that.( Like your other true friends do)
ਹੇਪਿਆਰੇ! ਅਣਗਿਣਤ ਹੀ ਸਹੇਲੀਆਂ ਤੇਰੇ (ਦਰ ਦੀਆਂ ਦਾਸੀਆਂ) ਹਨਮੇਰੇ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਉਹ ਸਾਰੀਆਂਹੀ ਚੰਗੀਆਂ ਹਨਇਕ ਰਤਾ ਭੀ ਸਮੇ ਲਈ ਹੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਵਲ ਭੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਦੀ ਨਿਗਾਹ ਨਾਲ ਵੇਖਮੈਨੂੰ ਭੀ ਦਰਸਨ ਦੇਹ, ਤਾ ਕਿ ਮੈਂ ਭੀ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣ ਸਕਾਂ
The souls who experienced Him are praised and while comparing soul’s self with them only humility is expressed and further it is supplicated to be blessed to see Him. It’s the longing going on in His love. No empty talk, period.
ਜੈ ਡਿਠੇ ਮਨੁ ਧੀਰੀਐ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਵੰਞਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਦੂਰੇ ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮਾਉ ਮੈ ਜੋ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰੇ
Jai diṯẖe man ḏẖīrī▫ai kilvikẖ vaʼnñniĥ ḏūre. So ki▫o visrai mā▫o mai jo rahi▫ā bẖarpūre. ||7||
In Essence: How that Lord can be forgotten who permeates in all and by seeing who all sins go away and peace comes to mind!
ਹੇਮਾਂ! ਮੈਨੂੰ (ਭਲਾ) ਉਹ (ਪਿਆਰਾ) ਕਿਵੇਂ ਵਿਸਰ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜੋ ਸਾਰੇ ਜਗਤ ਵਿਚ ਵਿਆਪਕਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਦਰਸਨ ਕੀਤਿਆਂ ਮਨ ਧੀਰਜ ਫੜਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਪਾਪ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ?
When His sight occurs miracle happens to the one who is lucky to have that. Mind is stilled; body becomes immune to any suffering. So after having this experience, faith in Him fortified, why to forget Him due to whom mind stills and who permeates in all? He shouldn’t be at all. His presence could not be denied, when it is not acknowledged, people who supposed to believe in Him go astray. His eternal watch is ignored; evil deeds become the show of Maya.
ਹੋਇ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਢਹਿ ਪਈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੰਤ ਸਹਾਇ
Ho▫e nimāṇī dẖėh pa▫ī mili▫ā sahj subẖā▫e. Pūrab likẖi▫ā pā▫i▫ā Nānak sanṯ sahā▫e. ||8||1||4||
In humbleness I have fallen in your refuge and now in equipoise, as preordained I have, Nanak says, obtained Him.
ਹੇਨਾਨਕ! (ਆਖ-) ਜਦੋਂ ਮੈਂ ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਵਿਚ ਟਿਕ ਕੇ, ਆਜਜ਼ ਹੋ ਕੇ (ਮਾਣਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ) ਢਹਿ ਪਈ, ਤਾਂ ਉਹ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆਕਿਸੇ ਪੂਰਬਲੇ ਜਨਮਵਿਚ ਚੰਗੀ ਕਿਸਮਤ ਦਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲੇਖ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਹਾਇਤਾ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ ਹੈ
How He is met? Only when all the intellect that doesn’t even help us to bring peace to heart should be abandoned, ego is eliminated by seeking the refuge of him who experienced Him -the Guru, He is met. Remember it is also due to preordained by the Lord. Why this is said, what if one does some effort but fails to meet Him? There is a point in here. Imagine how many Guru Followers recite, discuss and meditate on HIM, they fail every day. Some thing is missing there, some thing remains faulty. It’s His grace obviously Guru ji is hinting at that.
In this Shabad Guru sets a stage for the soul to be in love in with the Lord in utter humbleness, then goes through how the feelings towards Him and eventually soul reachs to the point where supplication is restricted to have love and His grace only.
(I hope you will enjoy the insight Guru puts in our minds:))
G Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Pk70 ji

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the lovely interpretation below. Let me request you once again, please put the page numbers from SGGS when you do your fantastic work like you have done here.

Secondly, What is the significance of RAHAO in the shabad and how should it be approached during the interpretation of the Shabad?

Please enlighten us with your Gurmat wisdom about it.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

If have erred…still I am known to be yours

I was asked again to elaborate on the following Guru Shabad, interestingly it has extreme appeal of the soul that has fallen in love with the Lord, an idea promoted by Guru Nanak in almost ever of his Shabadas. Its like after hearing Guru Nanak soul falls in love with the Lord and expresses how it is felt among living in His creation where it is not much popular. SPN Sangat ji just read the following Vaak, all words appear in musical mode
ਜੇ ਭੁਲੀ ਜੇ ਚੁਕੀ .ਸਾਈ ਭੀ ਤਹਿੰਜੀ ਕਾਢੀਆ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨੇਹੁ ਦੂਜਾਣੇ ਲਗਾ ਝੂਰਿ ਮਰਹੁ ਸੇ ਵਾਢੀਆ
Je bẖulī je cẖukī sā▫īʼn bẖī ṯahinjī kādẖī▫ā. Jinĥā nehu ḏūjāṇe lagā jẖūr marahu se vādẖī▫ā. ||1||
In Essence: If I error or go astray, I am still be known to be yours, those who are into other love, are dying repenting.
ਹੇਮੇਰੇ ਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਭੁੱਲਾਂ ਕਰਦੀ ਹਾਂ, ਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਉਕਾਇਆਂ ਕਰਦੀ ਹਾਂ, ਤਾਂ ਭੀਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਹੀ ਅਖਵਾਂਦੀ ਹਾਂ (ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰਾ ਦਰ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਧਰੇ ਭੀ ਜਾਣ ਨੂੰ ਤਿਆਰਨਹੀਂ ਹਾਂ)ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਪਿਆਰ (ਤੈਥੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ) ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਨਾਲ ਬਣਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ, ਉਹਛੁੱਟੜਾਂ ਜ਼ਰੂਰ ਝੁਰ ਝੁਰ ਕੇ ਮਰ ਰਹੀਆਂ ਹਨ
No claim what so ever about being good, its love expression away from agenda of “man hor mukh hor (out side show is different than what goes in mind); we some time live to prove our claims wrong. When one is in love and observes those who have gone astray, one can see the reason behind those sufferings, it is just because of their being in love with others than the Lord.. In this situation, momentarily joy comes loaded with miseries destined to follow. Next Vaak is about the determination of the soul of sticking to none but Him with a reason
ਹਉ ਨਾ ਛੋਡਉ ਕੰਤ ਪਾਸਰਾ ਸਦਾ ਰੰਗੀਲਾ ਲਾਲੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਏਹੁ ਮਹਿੰਜਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਰਹਾਉ
Ha▫o nā cẖẖoda▫o kanṯ pāsrā. Saḏā rangīlā lāl pi▫ārā ehu mahinjā āsrā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
In Essence: I would not leave the side of my Lord husband; He is my ever sweet love and is my all support.
ਮੈਂ ਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਸੋਹਣਾ ਪਾਸਾ (ਕਦੇ ਭੀ) ਨਾਹ ਛੱਡਾਂਗੀਮੇਰਾ ਉਹ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਲਾਲ ਸਦਾ ਆਨੰਦ-ਸਰੂਪ ਹੈ, ਮੇਰਾ ਇਹੀ ਆਸਰਾ ਹੈਰਹਾਉ
For a soul that is totally in love with the Creator doesn’t believe in those who are powerful because they too depend on HIM, they are not worth to be called support, and how they could be? Again, the picture is coming out of a big landscape in which His whole system is shown in action. There is no doubt about this system and no hyper rationality can put a dent in the faith and love for the Creator. So all support comes from Him. In His love His beauty is visible and that sweet love creates ecstasy ever...
ਸਜਣੁ ਤੂਹੈ ਸੈਣੁ ਤੂ ਮੈ ਤੁਝ ਉਪਰਿ ਬਹੁ ਮਾਣੀਆ ਜਾ ਤੂ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਤਾ ਸੁਖੇ ਤੂੰ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਮਾਣੀਆ
Sajaṇ ṯūhai saiṇ ṯū mai ṯujẖ upar baho māṇī▫ā. Jā ṯū anḏar ṯā sukẖe ṯūʼn nimāṇī māṇī▫ā. ||2||
In Essence: You are my friend and relative and I am proud of you. When you abide within me I feel peace and enjoy being honored as I haven’t any honor otherwise.
ਹੇਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੇਰਾ ਤਾਂ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਸੱਜਣ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਸਨਬੰਧੀ ਹੈਂਮੈਨੂੰ ਤਾਂ ਤੇਰੇਉਤੇ ਹੀ ਮਾਣ ਹੈਜਦੋਂ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ-ਘਰ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈਂ, ਤਦੋਂ ਹੀ ਮੈਂ ਸੁਖੀਹੁੰਦੀ ਹਾਂਮੈਂ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮਾਣ ਹੈਂ
In Asa dee Var, Second Nanak clears the concept of love for the God, that is the concept of Love is advocated in Sree Guru Granth Sahib, let me quote Second Nanak here to understand that to enjoy Guru Vaak.
ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਹਲਾ ਏਹ ਕਿਨੇਹੀ ਆਸਕੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਲਗੈ ਜਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਸਕੁ ਕਾਂਢੀਐ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਰਹੈ ਸਮਾਇ ਚੰਗੈ ਚੰਗਾ ਕਰਿ ਮੰਨੇ ਮੰਦੈ ਮੰਦਾ ਹੋਇ ਆਸਕੁ ਏਹੁ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿ ਲੇਖੈ ਵਰਤੈ ਸੋਇ (Asa Dee Var)
Salok mėhlā 2. Ėh kinehī āskī ḏūjai lagai jā▫e. Nānak āsak kāʼndẖī▫ai saḏ hī rahai samā▫e. Cẖangai cẖanga kar manne manḏai manḏā ho▫e. Āsak ehu na ākẖī▫ai jė lekẖai varṯai so▫e. ||1||
In essence: What kind of that love is if mind also loves others, Nanak says only that one is Lord’s Lover who remains absorbed in Him? If so called lover of God feels happy only if good things happen to him/her but if bad things happens considers the Lord did bad, cannot be true lover
This is the concept to understand His Ordinance, remember who are in love with Lord also stand up against tyranny, so do not get meaning wrong of this understanding of His Ordinance. Now let’s look at the Guru Vaak. In love with Him, God is felt as souls friend and relative and that is the only proud it enjoys, it certainly doesn’t enjoy the proud boasted in statements like” I am this, I am that, I can do this and that etc”. This feeling is felt only when He dwells in the body, He does that when five primal forces are stilled
ਜੇ ਤੂ ਤੁਠਾ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਨਾ ਦੂਜਾ ਵੇਖਾਲਿ ਏਹਾ ਪਾਈ ਮੂ ਦਾਤੜੀ ਨਿਤ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਖਾ ਸਮਾਲਿ
Je ṯū ṯuṯẖā kirpā niḏẖān nā ḏūjā vekẖāl. Ėhā pā▫ī mū ḏāṯ▫ṛī niṯ hirḏai rakẖā samāl. ||3||
In Essence: As you have bestowed your kindness on me, do not let me seek others for support. This very gift of your love, I want to keep always in my mind.
In above Guru Vaak, look at the prayer and compare the prayer we do, usually we do always with a list of things that could push us out of His path, devotees pray to Him in all circumstances. Now when you are happy with me, oh God, do not cause me to see support from others, this is His sovereignty the devotee wants to enjoy, this thing of asking support from others, also can put a dent in the love for Him, so in humbleness soul sings “your love that you bestowed upon me, is all I want to hold on.
ਹੇਕਿਰਪਾ ਦੇ ਖ਼ਜ਼ਾਨੇ ਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰੇ ਉੱਤੇ ਦਇਆਵਾਨ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈਂ, ਤਾਂ (ਆਪਣੇਚਰਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ) ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰ (ਆਸਰਾ) ਨਾਹ ਵਿਖਾਈਂਮੈਂ ਤਾਂ ਇਹੋ ਸੋਹਣੀ ਦਾਤਿ ਲੱਭੀਹੋਈ ਹੈ, ਇਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਮੈਂ ਸਦਾ ਆਪਣੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਂਭ ਸਾਂਭ ਰੱਖਦੀ ਹਾਂ
ਪਾਵ ਜੁਲਾਈ ਪੰਧ ਤਉ ਨੈਣੀ ਦਰਸੁ ਦਿਖਾਲਿ ਸ੍ਰਵਣੀ ਸੁਣੀ ਕਹਾਣੀਆ ਜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਥੀਵੈ ਕਿਰਪਾਲਿ
Pāv julā▫ī panḏẖ ṯa▫o naiṇī ḏaras ḏikẖāl. Sarvaṇī suṇī kahāṇī▫ā je gur thīvai kirpāl. ||4||
In Essence: Let Guru Show kindness to me to hear all about you, Cause me to follow your path and let me see you with my eyes
During this direct talk with the Lord, the soul brings Guru in who helps the soul to be in love with Him. Now remember, this love needs to live, there should be no stop that could hurt it, so this continuity is supplicated. “If my Guru pours his blessings on me, I will listen heartily all said about you oh Lord, tread on your path that leads to you, let me see you with my own eyes my Lord”. Look, it is next step after being in love. The aim of life is changed, Maya achievements become insignificant, longing to realize Him becomes priority; this kind of thinking alone can pursue harmony in the society if followed by all. So the soul in love longs to listen about Him, follow this path and wishes to see Him.
ਹੇਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਜੇ ਗੁਰੂ (ਮੇਰੇ ਉਤੇ) ਦਇਆਵਾਨ ਹੋਵੇ, ਤਾਂ ਮੈਂ (ਉਸ ਪਾਸੋਂ) ਆਪਣੇਕੰਨਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀਆਂ ਗੱਲਾਂ ਸੁਣਦੀ ਰਹਾਂ, ਮੈਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਪੈਰਾਂ ਨੂੰਤੇਰੇ (ਦੇਸ ਲੈ ਜਾਣ ਵਾਲੇ) ਰਸਤੇ ਉਤੇ ਤੋਰਾਂਹੇ ਪਿਆਰੇ! (ਮੇਰੀਆਂ ਇਹਨਾਂ) ਅੱਖਾਂਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਦਰਸਨ ਦਿਖਾਲ
ਕਿਤੀ ਲਖ ਕਰੋੜਿ ਪਿਰੀਏ ਰੋਮ ਪੁਜਨਿ ਤੇਰਿਆ ਤੂ ਸਾਹੀ ਹੂ ਸਾਹੁ ਹਉ ਕਹਿ ਸਕਾ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰਿਆ
Kiṯī lakẖ karoṛ pirī▫e rom na pujan ṯeri▫ā. Ŧū sāhī hū sāhu ha▫o kahi na sakā guṇ ṯeri▫ā. ||5||
In Essence: Millions are your virtues, if I express them will not be equal to you, (you are so great and beyond expression), you are the king of kings, I cannot detail your virtues as they are inexpressible,
ਹੇਪਿਆਰੇ! ਤੂੰ ਸ਼ਾਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹ ਹੈਂਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਬਿਆਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੀਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਕਿਤਨੇ ਹੀ ਲੱਖਾਂ ਤੇ ਕ੍ਰੋੜਾਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਦੱਸਾਂ, ਤਾਂ ਭੀ ਉਹ ਸਾਰੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਇਕਰੋਮ (ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ) ਤਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਅੱਪੜ ਸਕਦੇ
. Focus is on Him and His wondrous qualities. Heart says “you are king of kings and your virtues are inexpressible”
ਸਹੀਆ ਤਊ ਅਸੰਖ ਮੰਞਹੁ ਹਭਿ ਵਧਾਣੀਆ ਹਿਕ ਭੋਰੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦਰਸੁ ਰੰਗੁ ਮਾਣੀਆ
Sahī▫ā ṯa▫ū asaʼnkẖ mañahu habẖ vaḏẖāṇī▫ā. Hik bẖorī naḏar nihāl ḏėh ḏaras rang māṇī▫ā. ||6||
In essence: there are countless your friends , all are better than me(humbleness), if you eye me with your grace and let me see you, I too can enjoy that.( Like your other true friends do)
ਹੇਪਿਆਰੇ! ਅਣਗਿਣਤ ਹੀ ਸਹੇਲੀਆਂ ਤੇਰੇ (ਦਰ ਦੀਆਂ ਦਾਸੀਆਂ) ਹਨਮੇਰੇ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਉਹ ਸਾਰੀਆਂਹੀ ਚੰਗੀਆਂ ਹਨਇਕ ਰਤਾ ਭੀ ਸਮੇ ਲਈ ਹੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਵਲ ਭੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਦੀ ਨਿਗਾਹ ਨਾਲ ਵੇਖਮੈਨੂੰ ਭੀ ਦਰਸਨ ਦੇਹ, ਤਾ ਕਿ ਮੈਂ ਭੀ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣ ਸਕਾਂ
The souls who experienced Him are praised and while comparing soul’s self with them only humility is expressed and further it is supplicated to be blessed to see Him. It’s the longing going on in His love. No empty talk, period.
ਜੈ ਡਿਠੇ ਮਨੁ ਧੀਰੀਐ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਵੰਞਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਦੂਰੇ ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮਾਉ ਮੈ ਜੋ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰੇ
Jai diṯẖe man ḏẖīrī▫ai kilvikẖ vaʼnñniĥ ḏūre. So ki▫o visrai mā▫o mai jo rahi▫ā bẖarpūre. ||7||
In Essence: How that Lord can be forgotten who permeates in all and by seeing who all sins go away and peace comes to mind!
ਹੇਮਾਂ! ਮੈਨੂੰ (ਭਲਾ) ਉਹ (ਪਿਆਰਾ) ਕਿਵੇਂ ਵਿਸਰ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜੋ ਸਾਰੇ ਜਗਤ ਵਿਚ ਵਿਆਪਕਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਦਰਸਨ ਕੀਤਿਆਂ ਮਨ ਧੀਰਜ ਫੜਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਪਾਪ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ?
When His sight occurs miracle happens to the one who is lucky to have that. Mind is stilled; body becomes immune to any suffering. So after having this experience, faith in Him fortified, why to forget Him due to whom mind stills and who permeates in all? He shouldn’t be at all. His presence could not be denied, when it is not acknowledged, people who supposed to believe in Him go astray. His eternal watch is ignored; evil deeds become the show of Maya.
ਹੋਇ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਢਹਿ ਪਈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੰਤ ਸਹਾਇ
Ho▫e nimāṇī dẖėh pa▫ī mili▫ā sahj subẖā▫e. Pūrab likẖi▫ā pā▫i▫ā Nānak sanṯ sahā▫e. ||8||1||4||
In humbleness I have fallen in your refuge and now in equipoise, as preordained I have, Nanak says, obtained Him.
ਹੇਨਾਨਕ! (ਆਖ-) ਜਦੋਂ ਮੈਂ ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਵਿਚ ਟਿਕ ਕੇ, ਆਜਜ਼ ਹੋ ਕੇ (ਮਾਣਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ) ਢਹਿ ਪਈ, ਤਾਂ ਉਹ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆਕਿਸੇ ਪੂਰਬਲੇ ਜਨਮਵਿਚ ਚੰਗੀ ਕਿਸਮਤ ਦਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲੇਖ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਹਾਇਤਾ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ ਹੈ
How He is met? Only when all the intellect that doesn’t even help us to bring peace to heart should be abandoned, ego is eliminated by seeking the refuge of him who experienced Him -the Guru, He is met. Remember it is also due to preordained by the Lord. Why this is said, what if one does some effort but fails to meet Him? There is a point in here. Imagine how many Guru Followers recite, discuss and meditate on HIM, they fail every day. Some thing is missing there, some thing remains faulty. It’s His grace obviously Guru ji is hinting at that.
In this Shabad Guru sets a stage for the soul to be in love in with the Lord in utter humbleness, then goes through how the feelings towards Him and eventually soul reachs to the point where supplication is restricted to have love and His grace only.
(I hope you will enjoy the insight Guru puts in our minds:))
G Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Regardless how much Gurbani we recite, discuss and contemplate on, if we are in a wrong company” falls” are inevitable, so make sure some how bad company is avoided in every aspect. Why? Read Guru Bachan please and think about it. Environmental effect is taken as vital factor in spiritual progression
ਬਸੰਤੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਰਾਮ ਰੰਗੁ ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾ ਸਿਉ ਸਦਾ ਸੰਗੁ ਰਹਾਉ
Basanṯ hamārai rām rang. Sanṯ janā si▫o saḏā sang. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Lord's love is the spring season for me. I ever associate with the saintly persons. Pause.
ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! (ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ) ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾਂ ਨਾਲ (ਮੇਰਾ) ਸਦਾ ਸਾਥ ਬਣਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ, (ਹੁਣ) ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ (ਦੇ ਨਾਮ) ਦਾ ਪਿਆਰ ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਖਿੜਾਉ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈਰਹਾਉ

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Regardless how much Gurbani we recite, discuss and contemplate on, if we are in a wrong company” falls” are inevitable, so make sure some how bad company is avoided in every aspect. Why? Read Guru Bachan please and think about it. Environmental effect is taken as vital factor in spiritual progression
ਬਸੰਤੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਰਾਮ ਰੰਗੁ ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾ ਸਿਉ ਸਦਾ ਸੰਗੁ ਰਹਾਉ
Basanṯ hamārai rām rang. Sanṯ janā si▫o saḏā sang. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Lord's love is the spring season for me. I ever associate with the saintly persons. Pause.
ਹੇਭਾਈ! (ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ) ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾਂ ਨਾਲ (ਮੇਰਾ) ਸਦਾ ਸਾਥ ਬਣਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ, (ਹੁਣ) ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ (ਦੇ ਨਾਮ) ਦਾ ਪਿਆਰ ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਮੇਰੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚਖਿੜਾਉ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈਰਹਾਉ

Pk70 ji,

Guru Fateh.

You have repeated the same thing in the same fashion. I requested you above and here I repeat again so we all can savour this beauitful Gurbani and learn from each other.

Thanks for the lovely interpretation. Let me request you once again, please put the page numbers from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji when you do your fantastic work like you have done here.

Secondly, What is the significance of RAHAO in the shabad and how should it be approached during the interpretation of the Shabad?

Please enlighten us with your Gurmat wisdom about it.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
VaheguruSeekr ji

Is it OK if someone else answers the question? pk70 ji will react pretty soon I am sure. :yes:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
VaheguruSeekr ji

Is it OK if someone else answers the question? pk70 ji will react pretty soon I am sure. :yes:

Antonia ji,

Guru fateh.

Anyone can pitch in. Thanks to the open mindedness of Sikhi. I requested Pk70 twice because he is the one who has posted the shabads, some full some just a verse with Rahao. So I wanted to know his views regarding that.

I am a Seeker... Ready to learn from all.:)

Regards

Tejwant Singh

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
The first Shabad that has been interpreted by pk70 ji is on Ang 761 of Guru Granth Sahib Ji... The Shabad has been interpreted beautifully.. The Rahaao line in any Shabad i believe holds the essence of the Shabad.. in the link here, Bhai Harjinder Singh ji is singing the Guru Shabad ji :

http://sikhroots.com/zina/Keertani%20-%20International/Bhai%20Harjinder%20Singh%20%28Sri%20Nagar%2C%20India%29%20%20%28pz028%29/Eh%20Mahinja%20Aasraa/03%20-%20Bhai%20Harjinder%20Singh%20-%20Eh%20Mahinja%20Aasraa.mp3?l=8&m=1

The second Shabad quoted on post no.3 is on ang Sahib 1183 of Guru Granth Sahib Ji...
It is again a very beautiful baani of Guru Arjan Dev Ji.. and the Rahaao line has been quoted above, so we can enjoy the eternal beauty of the Guru Shabad, the essence in simplistic words, what the love for Satguru Ji means.....

:wah:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
The first Shabad that has been interpreted by pk70 ji is on Ang 761 of Guru Granth Sahib Ji... The Shabad has been interpreted beautifully.. The Rahaao line in any Shabad i believe holds the essence of the Shabad.. in the link here, Bhai Harjinder Singh ji is singing the Guru Shabad ji :

http://sikhroots.com/zina/Keertani ...a Aasraa/03 - Bhai Harjinder Singh - Eh Mahinhttp://sikhroots.com/zina/Keertani ...rjinder Singh - Eh Mahinja Aasraa.mp3?l=8&m=1

The second Shabad quoted on post no.3 is on ang Sahib 1183 of Guru Granth Sahib Ji...
It is again a very beautiful baani of Guru Arjan Dev Ji.. and the Rahaao line has been quoted above, so we can enjoy the eternal beauty of the Guru Shabad, the essence in simplistic words, what the love for Satguru Ji means.....

:wah:

Kiram ji
I thank you for understanding how Guru conveys any idea with stress
. :idea:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM