• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Human Development Of Prime Importance, Says Montek Singh Ahluwalia

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Human development of prime importance, says Montek Singh Ahluwalia
Tuesday, Dec 28, 2010, 11:36 IST
By Manasi Joshi-Saraf

“India is witnessing phenomenal economic growth, but for the overall development of the country, efforts also should be made to improve the human development index,’’ said deputy chairman of the planning commission, Montek Singh Ahluwalia.

He was in the city on Monday to receive the 8th Sant Namdev National Award instituted by city-based non-governmental organisation, Sarhad. Ahluwalia donated the award of Rs1 lakh to Sarhad and a Sikh organisation in Chandigarh working for underprivileged children and rendered a few lines in Marathi.

He said, “I’m fortunate to receive this award. My daughter-in-law is a Maharashtrian and hence I have a special connection with this land of saints,’’ he said.

Sant Namdev’s 61 verses are included in the Gurugranth Sahib. Sant Namdev travelled to Punjab roughly 700 years ago and stayed there for 20 years.

“The saints of our country had a broad vision of Indian culture, tradition and customs. Guru Nanak also had travelled to eastern part of the countries and even to Baghdad,’’ said Ahluwalia.

Union power minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said India’s capacity to generate 45,000 MW was because of efforts made by Ahluwalia and prime minister Manmohan Singh. “We need to build up wealth to reduce poverty, Ahluwalia and the PM are taking firm steps in the direction of growth,” he said.

Harmindersingh Ghai, Jagdish Bajaj, RS Khanna, Swansingh Virk and Rawail Singh were given the Sant Namdev Lifetime Achievement awards. Virk and Rawail Singh couldn’t make it to the function.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repo...mportance-says-montek-singh-ahluwalia_1487104

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM