• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How To See God In All?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
In our day to day lives, we can come across people who say and do things that can anger, offed, and irritate us. Whether its someone cutting you off on the road, someone saying something rude/mean to you, someone judging you, someone cheating you, or overhearing someone say discriminatory comments (such as hearing someone make a racist remark about another person) - I can easily feel myself getting angry, and wanting to and sometimes actually lashing back at the person. Its natural to feel anger, but how can we overcome this so it does not blind us, how can we channel this energy in a more productive manner, how can we truly learn to see "God in all?"

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
In our day to day lives, we can come across people who say and do things that can anger, offed, and irritate us. Whether its someone cutting you off on the road, someone saying something rude/mean to you, someone judging you, someone cheating you, or overhearing someone say discriminatory comments (such as hearing someone make a racist remark about another person) - I can easily feel myself getting angry, and wanting to and sometimes actually lashing back at the person. Its natural to feel anger, but how can we overcome this so it does not blind us, how can we channel this energy in a more productive manner, how can we truly learn to see "God in all?"

Seeing God in all is difficult as we are so entangled in the creation that we get lost in it very quickly...
so one moment we are showing compassion, and then someone cuts you up in traffic and Ego sets in and we only see the 'other' person...followed by Anger etc etc...

In reality...the truth is, there is only God...so how do we see God in all...?

Well, Guru Ji says, if you want to really exprience God, you have to go within yourself, to look within yourself...this is the only place we (ego) can get darshan of Waheguru and know of the truth of everything...

So then...if you're lucky to have this experience, then you will know that Waheguru is also in everything else...your outlook changes...
doesn;t mean you won't find yourself in difficult situations...but now you know the truth and act occordingly.

Some say you will also see God within everything...

maybe we will find out if we follow Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji's instructions..

god bless

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Just because we see God in all, does not mean we have to be doormats. I personally find it very hard to get angry, and it has caused me no end of problems, its a bit like those that cannot feel pain for medical reasons, it sounds wonderful, except pain is normally a warning sign that something is wrong, it makes you do something about it, if you feel pain in your foot and look down and you have hurt yourself, you may not realise otherwise, pain is good, pain is needed, if pain was not there, I would not have realised I was having my last heart attack.

Anger, in my view is quite similar, it is a sign that something is wrong, it heightens the body, gets the senses ready for action, adrenalin starts pumping, flee or fight, you are ready to deal with whatever is making you angry.

If you come home and a large bearded man is raping your mother, your first instinct is to get angry, how does it help that you see god in the large bearded man? Are you suggesting you should not get angry? If you are talking about petty anger, as in the points you raised above, its quite simple, most of these things you have probably done yourself at some stage, so if your getting angry at someone else for doing them, then by default you should also be angry with yourself, as a rule of thumb, I think anyone doing what you have already done, or do, should not make you angry.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Just because we see God in all, does not mean we have to be doormats. I personally find it very hard to get angry, and it has caused me no end of problems, its a bit like those that cannot feel pain for medical reasons, it sounds wonderful, except pain is normally a warning sign that something is wrong, it makes you do something about it, if you feel pain in your foot and look down and you have hurt yourself, you may not realise otherwise, pain is good, pain is needed, if pain was not there, I would not have realised I was having my last heart attack.

Anger, in my view is quite similar, it is a sign that something is wrong, it heightens the body, gets the senses ready for action, adrenalin starts pumping, flee or fight, you are ready to deal with whatever is making you angry.

If you come home and a large bearded man is raping your mother, your first instinct is to get angry, how does it help that you see god in the large bearded man? Are you suggesting you should not get angry? If you are talking about petty anger, as in the points you raised above, its quite simple, most of these things you have probably done yourself at some stage, so if your getting angry at someone else for doing them, then by default you should also be angry with yourself, as a rule of thumb, I think anyone doing what you have already done, or do, should not make you angry.

1. no one is saying be a doormat lol... its not been suggested you be one...

2. questions.....Be driven by Anger....lost in it...controlled by it, out of control? or aware of your anger, utilize it, but be in full control...you are in control, alert, focussed...and able to make the best decisions in that moment? see a difference? this is taught in most martial arts...

3. Self Defence and protecting another from harm...commendable, great, a fantastic instinct to have...be in hukam...follow your instinct .... but be aware and use anger, not be used by it

4. Sometimes when you know this whole shizzle is a play...All God, created everything, is everything....and beyond...then sometimes its easy to sit on a hot plate and know who, what you are...fearless, undying, without hate, part of the EK....then it doesn't really matter if this is what Waheguru intended...
This is where i want to be...to know the 'real' me...waheguru....the truth, so that nothing, absolutely nothing can shake me...because i'll know the truth :)

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
1. no one is saying be a doormat lol... its not been suggested you be one...

2. questions.....Be driven by Anger....lost in it...controlled by it, out of control? or aware of your anger, utilize it, but be in full control...you are in control, alert, focussed...and able to make the best decisions in that moment? see a difference? this is taught in most martial arts...

3. Self Defence and protecting another from harm...commendable, great, a fantastic instinct to have...be in hukam...follow your instinct .... but be aware and use anger, not be used by it

4. Sometimes when you know this whole shizzle is a play...All God, created everything, is everything....and beyond...then sometimes its easy to sit on a hot plate and know who, what you are...fearless, undying, without hate, part of the EK....then it doesn't really matter if this is what Waheguru intended...
This is where i want to be...to know the 'real' me...waheguru....the truth, so that nothing, absolutely nothing can shake me...because i'll know the truth :)

I'm pretty sure you already know who you are.

We are Him, He is us. Truth has no form. The Truth is Nothing.

Only a frequency beyond what mortals can comprehend.

We live for this truth, we live it serve it, die for it. That's what the Gurus did.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Truth has no form. The Truth is Nothing

I found this to be a very interesting line. Can you please elaborate further on what you mean by this? Thanks!

most of these things you have probably done yourself at some stage, so if your getting angry at someone else for doing them, then by default you should also be angry with yourself

Most definitely. Our reactions to others can teach us a lot about our own selves. If i were to become angry and impulsively lash out/lash back at someone, this is certainly not something I am proud of, and not the ideal way that I would want my anger to manifest.

if you want to really exprience God, you have to go within yourself, to look within yourself

I completely agree with this. Looking within yourself and practicing deep introspection, assists so much with gaining self-awareness, and getting in touch with your core self. When one can look at them self so fully and openly, I think it can facilitate doing so with another, and this essentially builds empathy. It can just be difficult to hold on to whatever we experience and learn from looking within!...I guess this is when ego starts taking over again!

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I found this to be a very interesting line. Can you please elaborate further on what you meant!

Hi

God has no form, everything's a projection of this state of nothingness. He sat for many ages and realised himself to be this most humble Truth.

Gurbani tells us that in the midst of ego and desire to stay egoless and low. This is why- in Truth, we have no form, no image, no status, we just are, which is why we find peace when we just Be.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Hi

God has no form, everything's a projection of this state of nothingness. He sat for many ages and realised himself to be this most humble Truth.

Gurbani tells us that in the midst of ego and desire to stay egoless and low. This is why- in Truth, we have no form, no image, no status, we just are, which is why we find peace when we just Be.
and then what do we do?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
and then what do we do?

Then we live and we learn whilst remaining true to this gyan and the gyan of gurbani with our heads on the ground.

We embrace the dukh and sukh and detach in knowledge that its all him.

Chardi kala is when no matter what we are blessed with be it dukh or sukh, we remain psychologically sound in Truth recognition- it's all him.

We go further and further down the path until one day you're so psychologically sound that you dont fall (The Satgurus).

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Then we live and we learn whilst remaining true to this gyan and the gyan of gurbani with our heads on the ground.

We embrace the dukh and sukh and detach in knowledge that its all him.

Chardi kala is when no matter what we are blessed with be it dukh or sukh, we remain psychologically sound in Truth recognition- it's all him.

We go further and further down the path until one day you're so psychologically sound that you dont fall (The Satgurus).
and then what?

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Why place such a big burden on yourself?

There exist bad people in the world, when you recognize them by their actions, the ideal thing is to distance yourself and not try to change them. I think it's problematic to go through the world taking everything as a "sign" and taking things personally. As long as a person has a good idea of what matters to them and contributes to that, the opinions of strangers should not hold so much weight.

Even problems should not hold that much weight, and by this, I mean things like addictions and not hunger (which has a quicker solution). If you truly believe God is in all, you have to recognize that you don't have a lot of authority in the lives of others, in fact, not complete authority in yours either.

I do find the "channeling energy"/intuition thing highly problematic.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
There exist bad people in the world, when you recognize them by their actions, the ideal thing is to distance yourself and not try to change them.

It's not about changing others. Its about cultivating the best in yourself, and learning to be less affected by others - becoming detached

If you truly believe God is in all, you have to recognize that you don't have a lot of authority in the lives of others, in fact, not complete authority in yours either.

I agree, and that's why we have to learn to "just be."

I am not sure what you mean by this.

Its like learning to take each moment as it comes, without attributing our personal meanings of dukh or sukh to the moment, and thereby not becoming entangled and attached.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
and then what?

God knows, the discoveries are endless and infinite just like him. This path never ends. You get to a point where you think you know a lot then realise you actually know nothing, you feel like a newborn discovering for the first time.

This path, is beyond logic. It's the path of True Love, which is beyond the shackles of wordly logic.

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Navdeep88 said:
I am not sure what you mean by this.

"the secret" "law of attraction", power of 'intention' new age voodo stuff. anything that demotes righteous conduct by substituting it with lame 'good intentions'

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
"the secret" "law of attraction", power of 'intention' new age voodo stuff. anything that demotes righteous conduct by substituting it with lame 'good intentions'

Hmm I can see it more like striving to maintain a "chardi kala" mindset. The more we frame our thoughts to stay in high spirits, the better we will feel. And this mental strength allows us to handle life in a more fulfilling way.

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
God knows, the discoveries are endless and infinite just like him. This path never ends. You get to a point where you think you know a lot then realise you actually know nothing, you feel like a newborn discovering for the first time.

This path, is beyond logic. It's the path of True Love, which is beyond the shackles of wordly logic.

The path is not beyond Logic, but logical. Logic is not weak, it's a tool given to us. As competent adult human beings, 'worldly logic' is at our disposal to use for good. I do not think it is in God's interest for grown adults to behave like children or newborns. It is not glamorous but we must accept the responsibilities of adulthood and that the 'path' is not divorced from them.

If we consider 'the path', as humans, at best we can only see a few steps ahead. Our logic is our compass, given to us. We see it points north, and we do our best to carry forward. We do not have a bird's eye view, the conditions may be foggy, the geography might change, there may or may not be enough rations ahead but we trust ourselves to carry forward. Because, as time moves forward, people have to move too. On the other hand, we assume that God has a bird's eye view perhaps knows of changes in geography and maybe a few roadblocks. Our compass still points north and in all conditions, if not for our logic and commitment, we would not stay on the path.

Hmm I can see it more like striving to maintain a "chardi kala" mindset. The more we frame our thoughts to stay in high spirits, the better we will feel. And this mental strength allows us to handle life in a more fulfilling way.

Fair enough. :emoji_thumbsup:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Sorry, this is what happens when you realise the truth?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: