• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hinduism Hinduism: Science Or Religion

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Hinduism: science or religion?

Hinduism started long time ago. No one really knows when. There is lot of misconception about Hinduism. Most of the religions in India have been from Hinduism. But is Hinduism religion or it is science. This will be short version. To write fully will take lot of space. If one is interested in knowing more he/she has to do the research. Is this the truth what I am going to write. No one knows what the truth is. Take it which ever way you want to take it.
I like to make it clear here that I am not Hindu nor I am in any religion. Long time ago I have been taught to think out side of the “BOX”.

Contrary to the peoples belief Hindus believe in one God. They call it satha Shiv.(for ever shiv) This satha Shiv for unknown reason created 3 sub Gods. Brahma, Vishnu, Shivji.
Brahma is to create life and Shivji is to destroy life. Vishu is to sustain life. Satha Shiv have no form can not be seen can not be touched. Can not hear any prayer. It is said to be every where in the universe.

Because brahma is creator he created many sami gods like Inder, agni, wind, so on and on. They were called devtas. Vishu is a neutral to all. He is the one take human form to reestablish the dharma. He came to earth as Ram, Krishna. Shivji is responsible for death of any life. This is what people believed then and now. Hindus believe that body dies and soul live on. It is this soul they were concern with not the body. Soul they say is like a power it can not be destroyed nor can it be created. The soul takes birth again due to his/her karma. Life start from very low specie single cell and the last on the ladder is the cow before the soul will be born in human form. Each time soul is born it will use last life’s karma and next birth is based on his karma in this life. Logically it doesn’t make sense to non Hindus.

In the stories of ramyan and mahabhart there the atom (parmanoo) weapons were used in the war. And many other technology was used in the war. One can look it up if need to. It is dismissed by non Hindus and many modern Hindus. They say it is only a fiction it was not real. Could be, but one thing we have to admit that people who wrote the stories must have been very advance thinkers. How could they write thing that even now haven’t devolved yet. There one group of people then called rishis they did the research in every part of life and matter. In health ethic politic every part of life.
It was the rishis who knew the secret of life. They try to explain it but people did not knew. They had no knowledge and it was lost. People were lost and did not know what to do. People wanted some thing to believe in. So they made idols and started to worship them. The whole knowledge was lost.
Science
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1GIRosBoc&feature=related[/FON"]400 Bad Request

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVyEpeniCzQ&feature=related[/COLO"]YouTube- What is an atom?
Smallest practical of matter is atom. It has three parts. Proton, electron, neutron.
Neutron have no charge which can be equal to vishnu
Proton has positive change can be brahma who is positive create life.
Electron can be related to shivji. The destroyer death.

It was the rishis who did the research that they understood the power of the atom. Due to the split of the atom we have all the innovations and technology in the world.
There are many reference of the atom in the Vedas. No one understood and the rishis hid this knowledge from the public it was lost for ever. The Brahmans took advantage of the public’s ignorance and control the public and made lot of money.
If the science could turn into religion then how can other religion save them self.

Now the scientists have found the energy in the universe they call is dark energy. They claim it is 95% in the universe. Only 5% is solid matter. Looks like it is satha Shiv.
Scientist have not reached where the rishis were thousands years ago. But they will go past where the rishis were by the end of this century. That’s when it will be the end of religion as we know of.

There is no other religion that has its base in science just Hinduism. What is being done with that knowledge now?

Will write about how karma works. If there is such a thing as karma.

seeker

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Askin for trouble this thread. As usual majority of the responses will be like the one above.

Aus desi ji

I have great respect for hinduism But I do have problem with above type of Articles.Reason is why do hindu's that are living in west or are on internet
try to give these type justification while the reality is these things are far from what you see common Hindu practising .It looks like the same as the muslims say that quran is full of sceintific miracles, and any one should produce one chapter like quran.

If today someone say that that hindu's worship money's or cows then Educated hindu's feel offended while it is reality that they are worshipped
by large number of people and killing these animals could even spark riots.

Sukhmani

SPNer
Jun 28, 2007
it is a kind of biased view on hinduism, dear seeker3k ji, with some kind of misunderstanding...
moreover, what exactly is hinduism with regards to so many very different philosophical and religious teachings, schools and sampradayas often opposing one another... difficult to define... let's not forget hinduism is a term very usefull especially for social sciences but not a unified religion...
religions and sciences use different methods in their approach to the world. to mix them together can bring a lot of confusion... i m sorry :roll:

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
Aus desi ji

I have great respect for hinduism But I do have problem with above type of Articles.Reason is why do hindu's that are living in west or are on internet
try to give these type justification while the reality is these things are far from what you see common Hindu practising .It looks like the same as the muslims say that quran is full of sceintific miracles, and any one should produce one chapter like quran.

If today someone say that that hindu's worship money's or cows then Educated hindu's feel offended while it is reality that they are worshipped
by large number of people and killing these animals could even spark riots.

I have respect for your views and I agree that hindus in the West try to prove all sorts of things from metaphors in various religious scriptures. Hinduism is not alone in this.

However, I did not say the article was right. I only said that the replies will generate the "this is brahminism" type replies.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
moreover, what exactly is hinduism with regards to so many very different philosophical and religious teachings, schools and sampradayas often opposing one another... difficult to define... let's not forget hinduism is a term very usefull especially for social sciences but not a unified religion...

It depends. I think as has been legally said, any sect can call itself hindu as long as they adhere to the authority of the vedas. Otherwise, they are not hindu.

Hinduism is not a unified religion. It doesn't have a central authority. However, there is no one way to define god so there are many theories which breeds sects.

Hindu is a modern term though Gurbani uses the word Hindu.

Sukhmani

SPNer
Jun 28, 2007
okk ausdesi ji,

but if there is no cetral authority in hinduism who has the right to say this is not hindu and this is hindu because they adhere to the authority of vedas...i dont know... hard to say "legally said" ... by whom? many sects are very far from vedas. the philosophical base they build on are rather upanishads... i know very well those definitions of hinduism ... but they are not fully correct...:hmm:

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
okk ausdesi ji,

but if there is no cetral authority in hinduism who has the right to say this is not hindu and this is hindu because they adhere to the authority of vedas...i dont know... hard to say "legally said" ... by whom? many sects are very far from vedas. the philosophical base they build on are rather upanishads... i know very well those definitions of hinduism ... but they are not fully correct...:hmm:

In 1995, while considering the question "who are Hindus and what are the broad features of Hindu religion", the Supreme Court of India highlighted Bal Gangadhar Tilak's formulation of Hinduism's defining features:[15]
"Acceptance of the Vedas with reverence; recognition of the fact that the means or ways to salvation are diverse; and the realization of the truth that the number of gods to be worshipped is large, that indeed is the distinguishing feature of Hindu religion."
Hindu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No one has the right to say Who is a Hindu however for legal purposes it was required.

It comes down to the Astika and Nastika terms. Astika's are people who agree on the authority of the vedas. Nastika's don't. Nastika's are non-hindus according to Hindu culture and beliefs.

Nastika/Nastik however does not mean atheist.

Sukhmani

SPNer
Jun 28, 2007
arreee... what source of information is wikipedia... moreover there was a lot work done in the field of study of what is hinduism... but okk, ausdesi ji... i surrender :shutup: u know better... i m not a hindu :)

Oct 16, 2009
i agree to what ever kanwardeep ji has said actually what exactly can u call an ideology that do not consider every human equal of course not science and not even religion.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Many times Wikipedia is a trashy source. But in the case of AusDesi's choice of a quote -- the Supreme Court justice really did say in a pretty famous ruling that Hinduism is a way of life, and not a religion in the ordinary sense of the word. ;)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aus Desi ji

I mean "a way of life." That was the point the judge was making. That what is called "hindusim" is so broad and diverse that it cannot be viewed as a "religion" in the sense of Judaism or Lutheranism. He was in that ruling also making the point that the diverse threads of what the world calls "Hinduism" are actually more properly "sanatan dharma" which can be practiced in numerous ways.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Namaste

I find very little in the OP that I agree with.
Is "Hinduism" a science or religion?" as a question the choices are not valid because it is too limited by far.
I consider my path to be a philosophy of life. Religions are usually centralized and founded by an individual which my path is not. Some Muslims have tried to invalidate my path because there is no founder but God. We follow lineages of gurus which means there are as many variations as there are lineages.

I consider it a philosophy, and many others also, because it is guidance for all aspects of life not only worship. Considering the name of this site Sikhs must feel the same way.

The OP said:
"Contrary to the peoples belief Hindus believe in one God. They call it satha Shiv.(for ever shiv) This satha Shiv for unknown reason created 3 sub Gods. Brahma, Vishnu, Shivji.
Brahma is to create life and Shivji is to destroy life. Vishu is to sustain life. Satha Shiv have no form can not be seen can not be touched. Can not hear any prayer. It is said to be every where in the universe."

I wouldn't pretend to have read all of scripture but some of what is mentioned above I can't accept. For me Lord Shiva is the Absolute, insert your name of choice, The Creator and destroyer they go hand and hand. Lord Shiva is the universe and formless but hears everyone's prayer.

"Life start from very low specie single cell and the last on the ladder is the cow before the soul will be born in human form."

The above quote may be true but I have not heard it before.
Maybe because it is didactic but the post rubs me the wrong way.
I would very much like to see Ausdesi ji respond to my post.

Peace

May 24, 2008
I find that Hinduism's real essence was revitalised in 19th century by the likes of Swami Vivekananada , Ram Krishna Paramhans , Debeyendranath Tagore & also ( hate mongering ) Dayanand Saraswati . But all of that was forgotton a too soon . In second half of 20th century , less than a century of these movements being started they were all but abondoned by nearly 99.99% of Hindus . These ideologies may be used today in paper debates like this one , but in reality it is one & only Brahminism which reigns supereme . May be it is one of the reasons why Sikhism was born , because our visionary Gurus had this sight that nothing survives under the BANYAN TREE OF BRAHMINISM . Which is perhaps why our Gurus advised Khalsa to be NAYARA ( unique ) . The Brahmins are never going to let go this UNIQUE ETERNAL HIT FLEECING FORMULA .

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
I find that Hinduism's real essence was revitalised in 19th century by the likes of Swami Vivekananada , Ram Krishna , Debeyendranath Tagore & also ( hate mongering ) Dayanand Saraswati . But all of that was forgotton a too soon . In second half of 20th century , less than a century of these movements being started they were all but abondoned by nearly 99.99% of Hindus . These ideologies may be used today in paper debates like this one , but in reality it is one & only Brahminism which reigns supereme .

Thats your opinion obviously and I believe that you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, in the last 100 years Brahmins have lost a lot of influence over Hinduism. Nowadays the relationships with god in almost all hindus is personal. Brahmins are there for formality/events only. Main reason is that scriptures are available to everyone. Anyone can go to a hindu religious shop and buy Durga Saptshati, Gita or Ramayana. you don't need a brahmin apart from Birth ceremony, Wedding Ceremony and Death Ceremony.

Brahmins influence is now limited to big temples and events. Infact, most brahmins are now simply doing a paid job even at the temples. They are hired by board who are usually not brahmin.

Infact, less than 10% of Brahmins actually do traditional brahmin work now. Even with that Im prolly stating a high number.

Also, Arya Samaj has quite an influence on Hindus. They run many schools. They hold wedding ceremonies without any dowry. They also do reconversions, love marriage weddings and other things.

Others like Ramakrishna, Chinmaya etc have reduced in influence.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: