Har/lord

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Simranjit, May 4, 2018.

1. Simranjit

Simranjit Writer SPNer

Hi,

I speak no Punjabi at all and I read Gurbani translated into English. As far as I know in the SGGSJ God has no gender. So, I conclude that there is no such a word as "Lord" in the original text. However in the translation I read God is referred to as "Lord" many many times. I got to the conclusion that it is the word "Har" the one that is translated into "Lord" , rigth? What would you think is the most accurate translation for "Har"?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Simranjit

Simranjit Writer SPNer

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ishna

Ishna Enthusiast Writer SPNer

Gurbani does use words and grammar that refer to males in referring to God, like King and Lord. It also uses the occasional female descriptor (an example is when God is described as mother and father). Gurbani is clear that God is beyond form (and therefore gender), so even when you do encounter gendered terms, remember that it's human language and poetry for human minds. :peacekaur:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Writer SPNer

It doesnt really matter what Hes called, as long as you know who youre talking about. Language is limited.

• Like Like x 1