• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Har/lord

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Hi,

I speak no Punjabi at all and I read Gurbani translated into English. As far as I know in the SGGSJ God has no gender. So, I conclude that there is no such a word as "Lord" in the original text. However in the translation I read God is referred to as "Lord" many many times. I got to the conclusion that it is the word "Har" the one that is translated into "Lord" , rigth? What would you think is the most accurate translation for "Har"?

Thanks!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Gurbani does use words and grammar that refer to males in referring to God, like King and Lord. It also uses the occasional female descriptor (an example is when God is described as mother and father). Gurbani is clear that God is beyond form (and therefore gender), so even when you do encounter gendered terms, remember that it's human language and poetry for human minds. :peacekaur:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Hi,

I speak no Punjabi at all and I read Gurbani translated into English. As far as I know in the SGGSJ God has no gender. So, I conclude that there is no such a word as "Lord" in the original text. However in the translation I read God is referred to as "Lord" many many times. I got to the conclusion that it is the word "Har" the one that is translated into "Lord" , rigth? What would you think is the most accurate translation for "Har"?

Thanks!

It doesnt really matter what Hes called, as long as you know who youre talking about. Language is limited.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM