• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Handwritten Bir SGGSJ From Matan Sahib, Kashmir

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Handwritten Bir of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji which I had the privilege to photograph at Gurdwara Mattan Sahib in Kashmir. This Bir does not come out often (for obvious reasons) so I feel very fortunate to have had this chance!

I tried to get macro shot of the ink used to show the detail. This bir is known as the Sunehri (Golden) Bir because the first two pages have every second line done in real gold ink! (Also in the photos!) Last pic shows history of this Bir in a book...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

SGGSJ.jpg

Attachments

• guru-granth.jpg
    guru-granth.jpg
    103.9 KB · Reads: 449
Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
spraying scent and sunning paper/ink is not the best way to preserve.....when will we learn to do things the right way. The 2 Birs taken away by SGPC..probably lost. Groups are even today going around to collect such treasures...we must be on guard. This is an absolutely beautiful work...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
It is not wise to say anything has happened to them. I'm sure that the committee that handed these saroops over can get in touch with the SGPC and find out where they are.

Personally, I do not find anything wrong with what Gyani ji said rather to the contrary. What did you find unwise about it?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I wish SGPC invested some money in training calligraphers so we can have hand written Birs a la the Jewish torah. And more importantly, this kind of art should be encouraged.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Here is a tidbit of information for everyone. The very first bir of SGGSJ that got written was written on paper from Kashmir. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM