• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Halal Or Not Halal: What Is The Difference? By Amar Prakash Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Halal or Not Halal: What is the Difference?

By Amar Prakash Singh

I have always found the concept of Halal very mystifying. Recently there has been much comment about the subject, especially the controversy over comments made by Inder Singh Ghagga that stated that Guru Nanak may have eaten Halal. With this in mind, I wanted to really look at what Halal is and what the Gurus said about.

According to the Rehit, one of the transgressions of a Sikh is to not eat the meat of an animal slaughtered in the Muslim way.I believe that we have confused how an animal is killed and what Halal really is. It is a moot point that there is no humane way to kill an animal. If you believe that it is unacceptable to eat a chicken that has had its throat slit and bled to death but somehow find it acceptable to eat a chicken that has died by having an electrode shoved up its rectum and electrocuted, you are totally missing the point.

What really makes something Halal is not the method of killing but the fact that some ritual or prayer has somehow made the food sanctified or purified in order to make it acceptable and thus every thing else as unacceptable. There should not be any food that is acceptable or unacceptable to a Sikh because Sikhs have no such rituals.

With this said, I find that the group that is most upset about the comments about Guru Nanak eating Halal, the Akhand Kirtini Jatha, has a diet that is almost a text book example of the above definition of Halal.

Let's take a look at what the Gurus had to say about Halal.

"Let what is earned righteously be your blessed food." Guru Arjan page 1084

To Guru Arjan, the only thing that would make a food not blessed would be to earn it non righteously.

In fact, the aim of a Sikh is to become Halal and be purified by the knife in order to be “attached to the Lord.”

"First Mehl: The knife is Truth, and its steel is totally True. Its workmanship is incomparably beautiful. It is sharpened on the grindstone of the Shabad. It is placed in the scabbard of virtue. If the Shaykh is killed with that, then the blood of greed will spill out. One who is slaughtered in this ritualistic way, will be attached to the Lord. O Nanak, at the Lord's door, he is absorbed into His Blessed Vision. 2 "Guru Nanak page 956

The only thing that a Sikh should consider as Halal is a Liberated One.

"FIRST MEHL: The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom. What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?" Guru Nanak page 1289

What I believe the Guru is saying is that food is food and it is foolish to argue about what we should eat. How can there be a sin committed when all we are doing is eating to survive. Then how can a sin be committed if the meat is Halal or not. It is in the mind of the individual if it is Halal or not. I choose to see nothing as Halal and I believe Guru Nanak would have also. I believe that if the food that was served to Guru Nanak was Halal, the food that he ate was not. Eating has nothing to do with spiritual attainment and neither is the manner that it is killed.

Later he writes:

“Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night. They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom. O Nanak, what can be said to the blind people? They cannot answer, or even understand what is said. They alone are blind, who act blindly. They have no eyes in their hearts. They are produced from the blood of their mothers and fathers, but they do not eat fish or meat.” Guru Nanak page 1289

Here the Guru is saying that vegetarians who look down their noses at people who eat meat are also fools. I remember a conversation I had with a woman from 3HO. I mentioned that someone who we both knew ate meat. Her reply was: 'Then how can he be an Amritdhari Sikh?' This is exactly what Guruji condemns in the above.

When I took Amrit, not eating meat was a part of the vows. I realize now that whether you eat meat or not, should not be a requirement of a group but the choice of the individual.

Transition into Infinity

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Halal or Not Halal: What is the Difference?

By Amar Prakash Singh

I have always found the concept of Halal very mystifying. Recently there has been much comment about the subject, especially the controversy over comments made by Inder Singh Ghagga that stated that Guru Nanak may have eaten Halal. With this in mind, I wanted to really look at what Halal is and what the Gurus said about.

According to the Rehit, one of the transgressions of a Sikh is to not eat the meat of an animal slaughtered in the Muslim way.I believe that we have confused how an animal is killed and what Halal really is. It is a moot point that there is no humane way to kill an animal. If you believe that it is unacceptable to eat a chicken that has had its throat slit and bled to death but somehow find it acceptable to eat a chicken that has died by having an electrode shoved up its rectum and electrocuted, you are totally missing the point.

What really makes something Halal is not the method of killing but the fact that some ritual or prayer has somehow made the food sanctified or purified in order to make it acceptable and thus every thing else as unacceptable. There should not be any food that is acceptable or unacceptable to a Sikh because Sikhs have no such rituals.

With this said, I find that the group that is most upset about the comments about Guru Nanak eating Halal, the Akhand Kirtini Jatha, has a diet that is almost a text book example of the above definition of Halal.

Let's take a look at what the Gurus had to say about Halal.

"Let what is earned righteously be your blessed food." Guru Arjan page 1084

To Guru Arjan, the only thing that would make a food not blessed would be to earn it non righteously.

In fact, the aim of a Sikh is to become Halal and be purified by the knife in order to be “attached to the Lord.”

"First Mehl: The knife is Truth, and its steel is totally True. Its workmanship is incomparably beautiful. It is sharpened on the grindstone of the Shabad. It is placed in the scabbard of virtue. If the Shaykh is killed with that, then the blood of greed will spill out. One who is slaughtered in this ritualistic way, will be attached to the Lord. O Nanak, at the Lord's door, he is absorbed into His Blessed Vision. 2 "Guru Nanak page 956

The only thing that a Sikh should consider as Halal is a Liberated One.

"FIRST MEHL: The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom. What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?" Guru Nanak page 1289

What I believe the Guru is saying is that food is food and it is foolish to argue about what we should eat. How can there be a sin committed when all we are doing is eating to survive. Then how can a sin be committed if the meat is Halal or not. It is in the mind of the individual if it is Halal or not. I choose to see nothing as Halal and I believe Guru Nanak would have also. I believe that if the food that was served to Guru Nanak was Halal, the food that he ate was not. Eating has nothing to do with spiritual attainment and neither is the manner that it is killed.

Later he writes:

“Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night. They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom. O Nanak, what can be said to the blind people? They cannot answer, or even understand what is said. They alone are blind, who act blindly. They have no eyes in their hearts. They are produced from the blood of their mothers and fathers, but they do not eat fish or meat.” Guru Nanak page 1289

Here the Guru is saying that vegetarians who look down their noses at people who eat meat are also fools. I remember a conversation I had with a woman from 3HO. I mentioned that someone who we both knew ate meat. Her reply was: 'Then how can he be an Amritdhari Sikh?' This is exactly what Guruji condemns in the above.

When I took Amrit, not eating meat was a part of the vows. I realize now that whether you eat meat or not, should not be a requirement of a group but the choice of the individual.

Transition into Infinity

Interesting post and the appeasement that is done with the Halal ritual is unnecessary for a Sikh. Might I add such appeasement is unnecessary for any other forms of ritual.

Shaheediyan

SPNer
Jun 10, 2006
Halal means "permissable". The word relates to that which is permissable by Islamic law "sharia".

Halal refers to all facets of life (not just food), that which is not permissable is haram.

So, with regards to halal and haram meat, the following sura's apply:

"Forbidden to you (your food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which the name of other than Allah hath been invoked; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject Faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed my favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination of transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful"[Qur'an 5:3] [3]

"Say: I find not in the message received by me by inspiration any (meat) forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be dead meat, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine, for it is an abomination or, what is impious, (meat) on which a name has been invoked, other than Allah's. But (even so), if a person is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, thy Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful"[Qur'an 6:145] [5]

Shaheediyan

SPNer
Jun 10, 2006
"Interesting post and the appeasement that is done with the Halal ritual is unnecessary for a Sikh. Might I add such appeasement is unnecessary for any other forms of ritual."

Randip Singh Ji, are you aware of the long ritual invloved in the preperation of Mahaprasad, particularly as witnessed at Holla?

Do Sikhs not ardaas over langar and prasad before it is served?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guru Nanak Ji Sahib is using the "language" of the Brahmins to convey His message. The words used are MALECHH and ABHAKHIAH ka KUTHA. Now the Brahmins referred to the Muslims as Malecchh (dirty/filthy) due to their doing the inspaekable...killing and devouring cows, breaking stone idols and places where these stones were worshipped..etc. The Brahmins called the language spoken by the malechh muslims as ABHAKHIAH..unspeakable...as opposed to the "Sanskrit" holy language of thewir Vedas and Gods.
In Private these fraudy Brahmins said such things about the Muslims...BUT in PUBLIC..they wore Blue clothes, spoke the Filthy language and ate the filthy "kutha bakras" of the Masters...WHAT A FRAUD ???
IN MUSLIM INDIA..no non-muslim was allowed to keep a knife..slaughter meat..ride a horse..keep weapons. All these were reserved for the Masters..and NOT for SLAVES. The Wily Brahmin spoke "double speak"..one thing to the Hindus and another to the Muslim Masters. This DOUBLE SPEAK is exposed by Guur nanak ji in Abhakhiah ka kuttha bakra khanna.( IN PUBLIC to win over the Musims masters ).matt bhitteh ve matt bhitteh ve at home ( to fool the Hindus as to their holinity !!)

SACRIFICE..and "offering THANKS" to God are two different things. The Maya Indians..the Babylonians..the Meccans....the Hindus..almost everyone offered SACRIFICE. In the Bible it was Abraham that was ORDERED by God to sacrifice !!! Hindus scrifice Goats to Kali Goddess !!! In SACRIFICE....BLOOD has to be SHED. It is the BLOOD that the GOD DRINKS and is satisfied..no difference if it is God of the Mayas..or Babylonians..or Meccans..or Kali or Allah...the CONCEPT is the SAME...The SACRIFICE is to APPEASE god..bring down RAIN..end droughts..etc etc etc.

The Sikh Ardass is just like the GRACE said at the Table..THANKS to the PROVIDER for His MERCY. That is why BHOG LAUNNA is Brahminism and not Gurmatt. Bhog is launna to IDOLS..not to Guru Granth Ji. The ARDASS is thus DONE at each and every Function in a Gurdwara..at every MEAL a Sikh has at home....this itself shows it is different from the SACRIFICE..the Kalmas read over an animal being killed.

Hallal Meat was FORCED UPON all non-Mulsims in those times...This is still done in MUSLIM MAJORITY COUNTRIES...like in MALAYSIA even though there is almost 40% NON MUSLIM population..the ruling Muslim Govt makes it MANDATORY for ALL MEAT and other products to be Hallal ONLY. Non Hallal meats..are ONLY the HAM and PIG Products..NO other Meat can be NonHallal. This si the Sole reason why a SIKH who follows only and only AKAL PURAKH MUST never eat Hallal Meat that is SACRIFICED to a Diety that "needs" such sacrifices.
Gyani Jarnail Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
"Interesting post and the appeasement that is done with the Halal ritual is unnecessary for a Sikh. Might I add such appeasement is unnecessary for any other forms of ritual."

Randip Singh Ji, are you aware of the long ritual invloved in the preperation of Mahaprasad, particularly as witnessed at Holla?

Difference being Halal and Kosher are seen as appeasement or sacrifice to God.........what you have mentioned are thanks to God. Ardaas involves a thanking of the bounty of food God has given us (much like Grace).

Halal and Kosher follow the notion of sacrifice (quarbani) to God. Even Hindu's followed such rituals such as Bali and Anustrani etc......but Sikhism se's no such need.

Shaheediyan

SPNer
Jun 10, 2006
The meat prepared on Eid and at haj to maccah "may" be constitute a sacrifice, but I don't think the day to day meat preperation is seen or treated as a sacrifice, could you kindly provide proof of your assumption.

Thanks.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
The meat prepared on Eid and at haj to maccah "may" be constitute a sacrifice, but I don't think the day to day meat preperation is seen or treated as a sacrifice, could you kindly provide proof of your assumption.

Thanks.

Taken from:

Halal Food Authority :: Definition of Halal

Now to make meat halal or permissible, an animal or poultry has to be slaughtered in a ritual way known as Zibah

Are you satisfied my "assumption" is fact or would you like me to bring a Maulvi and a a Rabbi to this forum too? :whisling::wink:

Now reading Zibah and killing animals in the name of Allah clearly constitues a sacrifice to God.....although Muslims may deny it....something our Guru's and Bhagat Kabir picked up on.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
ALL Meat and meat products sold to the Public in Malaysia MUST be "Hallal"...that is slaughtered by Zibah and certified so by the Islamic Authority. Even IMPORTED Meat and meat products must go thru this. Thbus even NON-MUSLIMS are forced to consume this "halllal meat" ( or consume only PORK/HAM etc which Cannot be Hallal. The other food that CANNOT be Hallal is FISH. Lobsters, crabs, clams etc..as it is ALREADY DEAD when taken out of the sea or has NO BLOOD ( which is essentially what must be there in RED SPLASHES). On EID days..the animals are ritually slaughtered on PUBLIC GROUNDS....in full view of the public and tv cameras...recently a furore asrose because a few Cows were ZIBAH on the August PARLIAMENT GROUNDS ( completely disregarding the Hindu memebers of parliament's sentiments and those of the Non Muslims)
Gyani Jarnail Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Guru Nanak Ji Sahib is using the "language" of the Brahmins to convey His message. The words used are MALECHH and ABHAKHIAH ka KUTHA. Now the Brahmins referred to the Muslims as Malecchh (dirty/filthy) due to their doing the inspaekable...killing and devouring cows, breaking stone idols and places where these stones were worshipped..etc. The Brahmins called the language spoken by the malechh muslims as ABHAKHIAH..unspeakable...as opposed to the "Sanskrit" holy language of thewir Vedas and Gods.
In Private these fraudy Brahmins said such things about the Muslims...BUT in PUBLIC..they wore Blue clothes, spoke the Filthy language and ate the filthy "kutha bakras" of the Masters...WHAT A FRAUD ???
IN MUSLIM INDIA..no non-muslim was allowed to keep a knife..slaughter meat..ride a horse..keep weapons. All these were reserved for the Masters..and NOT for SLAVES. The Wily Brahmin spoke "double speak"..one thing to the Hindus and another to the Muslim Masters. This DOUBLE SPEAK is exposed by gur nanak ji in Abhakhiah ka kuttha bakra khanna.( IN PUBLIC to win over the Musims masters ).matt bhitteh ve matt bhitteh ve at home ( to fool the Hindus as to their holinity !!)

SACRIFICE..and "offering THANKS" to God are two different things. The Maya Indians..the Babylonians..the Meccans....the Hindus..almost everyone offered SACRIFICE. In the Bible it was Abraham that was ORDERED by God to sacrifice !!! Hindus scrifice Goats to Kali Goddess !!! In SACRIFICE....BLOOD has to be SHED. It is the BLOOD that the GOD DRINKS and is satisfied..no difference if it is God of the Mayas..or Babylonians..or Meccans..or Kali or Allah...the CONCEPT is the SAME...The SACRIFICE is to APPEASE god..bring down RAIN..end droughts..etc etc etc.

The Sikh Ardass is just like the GRACE said at the Table..THANKS to the PROVIDER for His MERCY. That is why BHOG LAUNNA is Brahminism and not Gurmatt. Bhog is launna to IDOLS..not to Guru Granth Ji. The ARDASS is thus DONE at each and every Function in a Gurdwara..at every MEAL a Sikh has at home....this itself shows it is different from the SACRIFICE..the Kalmas read over an animal being killed.

Hallal Meat was FORCED UPON all non-Mulsims in those times...This is still done in MUSLIM MAJORITY COUNTRIES...like in MALAYSIA even though there is almost 40% NON MUSLIM population..the ruling Muslim Govt makes it MANDATORY for ALL MEAT and other products to be Hallal ONLY. Non Hallal meats..are ONLY the HAM and PIG Products..NO other Meat can be NonHallal. This si the Sole reason why a SIKH who follows only and only AKAL PURAKH MUST never eat Hallal Meat that is SACRIFICED to a Diety that "needs" such sacrifices.
Gyani Jarnail Singh

Great post........and that part about Brahmins eating the Muslim food and wearing their clothes was in a book I was reading a couple of years ago. I will find the refrence and post it here.

Shaheediyan

SPNer
Jun 10, 2006
"Great post........and that part about Brahmins eating the Muslim food and wearing their clothes was in a book I was reading a couple of years ago. I will find the refrence and post it here."

No need to search through your books, Guru Ji has clearly made reference to this issue:

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ
सलोक मः १ ॥
Salok mehlā 1.
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਗਊ ਬਿਰਾਹਮਣ ਕਉ ਕਰੁ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਗੋਬਰਿ ਤਰਣੁ ਜਾਈ
गऊ बिराहमण कउ करु लावहु गोबरि तरणु न जाई ॥
Ga­ū birāhmaṇ ka­o kar lāvhu gobar ṯaraṇ na jā­ī.
They tax the cows and the Brahmins, but the cow-dung they apply to their kitchen will not save them.

ਧੋਤੀ ਟਿਕਾ ਤੈ ਜਪਮਾਲੀ ਧਾਨੁ ਮਲੇਛਾਂ ਖਾਈ
धोती टिका तै जपमाली धानु मलेछां खाई ॥
Ḏẖoṯī tikā ṯai japmālī ḏẖān malėcẖẖāʼn kẖā­ī.
They wear their loin cloths, apply ritual frontal marks to their foreheads, and carry their rosaries, but they eat food with the Muslims.

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪੂਜਾ ਪੜਹਿ ਕਤੇਬਾ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਤੁਰਕਾ ਭਾਈ
अंतरि पूजा पड़हि कतेबा संजमु तुरका भाई ॥
Anṯar pūjā paṛeh kaṯėbā sanjam ṯurkā bẖā­ī.
O Siblings of Destiny, you perform devotional worship indoors, but read the Islamic sacred texts, and adopt the Muslim way of life.

ਛੋਡੀਲੇ ਪਾਖੰਡਾ
छोडीले पाखंडा ॥
Cẖẖodīlė pākẖandā.
Renounce your hypocrisy!

ਨਾਮਿ ਲਇਐ ਜਾਹਿ ਤਰੰਦਾ ॥੧॥
नामि लइऐ जाहि तरंदा ॥१॥
Nām la­i­ai jāhi ṯaranḏā. ||1||
Taking the Naam, the Name of the Lord, you shall swim across. ||1||

ਮਃ
मः १ ॥
Mehlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਮਾਣਸ ਖਾਣੇ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਵਾਜ
माणस खाणे करहि निवाज ॥
Māṇas kẖāṇė karahi nivāj.
The man-eaters say their prayers.

ਛੁਰੀ ਵਗਾਇਨਿ ਤਿਨ ਗਲਿ ਤਾਗ
छुरी वगाइनि तिन गलि ताग ॥
Cẖẖurī vagā­in ṯin gal ṯāg.
Those who wield the knife wear the sacred thread around their necks.

ਤਿਨ ਘਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣ ਪੂਰਹਿ ਨਾਦ
तिन घरि ब्रहमण पूरहि नाद ॥
Ŧin gẖar barahmaṇ pūreh nāḏ.
In their homes, the Brahmins sound the conch.

ਉਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਭਿ ਆਵਹਿ ਓਈ ਸਾਦ
उन्हा भि आवहि ओई साद ॥
Unĥā bẖe āvahi o­ī sāḏ.
They too have the same taste.

ਕੂੜੀ ਰਾਸਿ ਕੂੜਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ
कूड़ी रासि कूड़ा वापारु ॥
Kūṛī rās kūṛā vāpār.
False is their capital, and false is their trade.

ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਆਹਾਰੁ
कूड़ु बोलि करहि आहारु ॥
Kūṛ bol karahi āhār.
Speaking falsehood, they take their food.

ਸਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਕਾ ਡੇਰਾ ਦੂਰਿ
सरम धरम का डेरा दूरि ॥
Saram ḏẖaram kā dėrā ḏūr.
The home of modesty and Dharma is far from them.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕੂੜੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰਿ
नानक कूड़ु रहिआ भरपूरि ॥
Nānak kūṛ rahi­ā bẖarpūr.
O Nanak, they are totally permeated with falsehood.

ਮਥੈ ਟਿਕਾ ਤੇੜਿ ਧੋਤੀ ਕਖਾਈ
मथै टिका तेड़ि धोती कखाई ॥
Mathai tikā ṯėṛ ḏẖoṯī kakẖā­ī.
The sacred marks are on their foreheads, and the saffron loin-cloths are around their waists;

ਹਥਿ ਛੁਰੀ ਜਗਤ ਕਾਸਾਈ
हथि छुरी जगत कासाई ॥
Hath cẖẖurī jagaṯ kāsā­ī.
in their hands they hold the knives - they are the butchers of the world!

ਨੀਲ ਵਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਰਿ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ
नील वसत्र पहिरि होवहि परवाणु ॥
Nīl vasṯar pahir hoveh parvāṇ.
Wearing blue robes, they seek the approval of the Muslim rulers.

ਮਲੇਛ ਧਾਨੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਪੁਰਾਣੁ
मलेछ धानु ले पूजहि पुराणु ॥
Malėcẖẖ ḏẖān lė pūjeh purāṇ.
Accepting bread from the Muslim rulers, they still worship the Puraanas.

ਅਭਾਖਿਆ ਕਾ ਕੁਠਾ ਬਕਰਾ ਖਾਣਾ
अभाखिआ का कुठा बकरा खाणा ॥
Abẖākẖi­ā kā kuṯẖā bakrā kẖāṇā.
They eat the meat of the goats, killed after the Muslim prayers are read over them,

ਚਉਕੇ ਉਪਰਿ ਕਿਸੈ ਜਾਣਾ
चउके उपरि किसै न जाणा ॥
Cẖa­ukė upar kisai na jāṇā.
but they do not allow anyone else to enter their kitchen areas.

ਦੇ ਕੈ ਚਉਕਾ ਕਢੀ ਕਾਰ
दे कै चउका कढी कार ॥
Ḏė kai cẖa­ukā kadẖī kār.
They draw lines around them, plastering the ground with cow-dung.

ਉਪਰਿ ਆਇ ਬੈਠੇ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ
उपरि आइ बैठे कूड़िआर ॥
Upar ā­ė baiṯẖė kūṛi­ār.
The false come and sit within them.

ਮਤੁ ਭਿਟੈ ਵੇ ਮਤੁ ਭਿਟੈ
मतु भिटै वे मतु भिटै ॥
Maṯ bẖitai vė maṯ bẖitai.
They cry out, "Do not touch our food,

ਇਹੁ ਅੰਨੁ ਅਸਾਡਾ ਫਿਟੈ
इहु अंनु असाडा फिटै ॥
Ih ann asādā fitai.
this food of ours will be polluted!

ਤਨਿ ਫਿਟੈ ਫੇੜ ਕਰੇਨਿ
तनि फिटै फेड़ करेनि ॥
Ŧan fitai fėṛ karėn.
But with their polluted bodies, they commit evil deeds.

ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਚੁਲੀ ਭਰੇਨਿ
मनि जूठै चुली भरेनि ॥
Man jūṯẖai cẖulī bẖarėn.
With filthy minds, they try to cleanse their mouths.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ
कहु नानक सचु धिआईऐ ॥
Kaho Nānak sacẖ ḏẖi­ā­ī­ai.
Says Nanak, meditate on the True Lord.

ਸੁਚਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੨॥
सुचि होवै ता सचु पाईऐ ॥२॥
Sucẖ hovai ṯā sacẖ pā­ī­ai. ||2||
If you are pure, you will obtain the True Lord. ||2||

Last edited by a moderator:

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Dear Amar,

You have got the concept pat. There is no need to research further into what we should. Bhagat Kabirji says " learn the jewel of knowledge as the world is made up of dust" its the knowledge that will keep you alive for ever.

Inder Pal Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
"Great post........and that part about Brahmins eating the Muslim food and wearing their clothes was in a book I was reading a couple of years ago. I will find the refrence and post it here."

No need to search through your books, Guru Ji has clearly made reference to this issue:

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ
सलोक मः १ ॥
Salok mehlā 1.
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਗਊ ਬਿਰਾਹਮਣ ਕਉ ਕਰੁ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਗੋਬਰਿ ਤਰਣੁ ਜਾਈ
गऊ बिराहमण कउ करु लावहु गोबरि तरणु न जाई ॥
Ga­ū birāhmaṇ ka­o kar lāvhu gobar ṯaraṇ na jā­ī.
They tax the cows and the Brahmins, but the cow-dung they apply to their kitchen will not save them.

ਧੋਤੀ ਟਿਕਾ ਤੈ ਜਪਮਾਲੀ ਧਾਨੁ ਮਲੇਛਾਂ ਖਾਈ
धोती टिका तै जपमाली धानु मलेछां खाई ॥
Ḏẖoṯī tikā ṯai japmālī ḏẖān malėcẖẖāʼn kẖā­ī.
They wear their loin cloths, apply ritual frontal marks to their foreheads, and carry their rosaries, but they eat food with the Muslims.

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪੂਜਾ ਪੜਹਿ ਕਤੇਬਾ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਤੁਰਕਾ ਭਾਈ
अंतरि पूजा पड़हि कतेबा संजमु तुरका भाई ॥
Anṯar pūjā paṛeh kaṯėbā sanjam ṯurkā bẖā­ī.
O Siblings of Destiny, you perform devotional worship indoors, but read the Islamic sacred texts, and adopt the Muslim way of life.

ਛੋਡੀਲੇ ਪਾਖੰਡਾ
छोडीले पाखंडा ॥
Cẖẖodīlė pākẖandā.
Renounce your hypocrisy!

ਨਾਮਿ ਲਇਐ ਜਾਹਿ ਤਰੰਦਾ ॥੧॥
नामि लइऐ जाहि तरंदा ॥१॥
Nām la­i­ai jāhi ṯaranḏā. ||1||
Taking the Naam, the Name of the Lord, you shall swim across. ||1||

ਮਃ
मः १ ॥
Mehlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਮਾਣਸ ਖਾਣੇ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਵਾਜ
माणस खाणे करहि निवाज ॥
Māṇas kẖāṇė karahi nivāj.
The man-eaters say their prayers.

ਛੁਰੀ ਵਗਾਇਨਿ ਤਿਨ ਗਲਿ ਤਾਗ
छुरी वगाइनि तिन गलि ताग ॥
Cẖẖurī vagā­in ṯin gal ṯāg.
Those who wield the knife wear the sacred thread around their necks.

ਤਿਨ ਘਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣ ਪੂਰਹਿ ਨਾਦ
तिन घरि ब्रहमण पूरहि नाद ॥
Ŧin gẖar barahmaṇ pūreh nāḏ.
In their homes, the Brahmins sound the conch.

ਉਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਭਿ ਆਵਹਿ ਓਈ ਸਾਦ
उन्हा भि आवहि ओई साद ॥
Unĥā bẖe āvahi o­ī sāḏ.
They too have the same taste.

ਕੂੜੀ ਰਾਸਿ ਕੂੜਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ
कूड़ी रासि कूड़ा वापारु ॥
Kūṛī rās kūṛā vāpār.
False is their capital, and false is their trade.

ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਆਹਾਰੁ
कूड़ु बोलि करहि आहारु ॥
Kūṛ bol karahi āhār.
Speaking falsehood, they take their food.

ਸਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਕਾ ਡੇਰਾ ਦੂਰਿ
सरम धरम का डेरा दूरि ॥
Saram ḏẖaram kā dėrā ḏūr.
The home of modesty and Dharma is far from them.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕੂੜੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰਿ
नानक कूड़ु रहिआ भरपूरि ॥
Nānak kūṛ rahi­ā bẖarpūr.
O Nanak, they are totally permeated with falsehood.

ਮਥੈ ਟਿਕਾ ਤੇੜਿ ਧੋਤੀ ਕਖਾਈ
मथै टिका तेड़ि धोती कखाई ॥
Mathai tikā ṯėṛ ḏẖoṯī kakẖā­ī.
The sacred marks are on their foreheads, and the saffron loin-cloths are around their waists;

ਹਥਿ ਛੁਰੀ ਜਗਤ ਕਾਸਾਈ
हथि छुरी जगत कासाई ॥
Hath cẖẖurī jagaṯ kāsā­ī.
in their hands they hold the knives - they are the butchers of the world!

ਨੀਲ ਵਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਰਿ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ
नील वसत्र पहिरि होवहि परवाणु ॥
Nīl vasṯar pahir hoveh parvāṇ.
Wearing blue robes, they seek the approval of the Muslim rulers.

ਮਲੇਛ ਧਾਨੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਪੁਰਾਣੁ
मलेछ धानु ले पूजहि पुराणु ॥
Malėcẖẖ ḏẖān lė pūjeh purāṇ.
Accepting bread from the Muslim rulers, they still worship the Puraanas.

ਅਭਾਖਿਆ ਕਾ ਕੁਠਾ ਬਕਰਾ ਖਾਣਾ
अभाखिआ का कुठा बकरा खाणा ॥
Abẖākẖi­ā kā kuṯẖā bakrā kẖāṇā.
They eat the meat of the goats, killed after the Muslim prayers are read over them,

ਚਉਕੇ ਉਪਰਿ ਕਿਸੈ ਜਾਣਾ
चउके उपरि किसै न जाणा ॥
Cẖa­ukė upar kisai na jāṇā.
but they do not allow anyone else to enter their kitchen areas.

ਦੇ ਕੈ ਚਉਕਾ ਕਢੀ ਕਾਰ
दे कै चउका कढी कार ॥
Ḏė kai cẖa­ukā kadẖī kār.
They draw lines around them, plastering the ground with cow-dung.

ਉਪਰਿ ਆਇ ਬੈਠੇ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ
उपरि आइ बैठे कूड़िआर ॥
Upar ā­ė baiṯẖė kūṛi­ār.
The false come and sit within them.

ਮਤੁ ਭਿਟੈ ਵੇ ਮਤੁ ਭਿਟੈ
मतु भिटै वे मतु भिटै ॥
Maṯ bẖitai vė maṯ bẖitai.
They cry out, "Do not touch our food,

ਇਹੁ ਅੰਨੁ ਅਸਾਡਾ ਫਿਟੈ
इहु अंनु असाडा फिटै ॥
Ih ann asādā fitai.
this food of ours will be polluted!

ਤਨਿ ਫਿਟੈ ਫੇੜ ਕਰੇਨਿ
तनि फिटै फेड़ करेनि ॥
Ŧan fitai fėṛ karėn.
But with their polluted bodies, they commit evil deeds.

ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਚੁਲੀ ਭਰੇਨਿ
मनि जूठै चुली भरेनि ॥
Man jūṯẖai cẖulī bẖarėn.
With filthy minds, they try to cleanse their mouths.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ
कहु नानक सचु धिआईऐ ॥
Kaho Nānak sacẖ ḏẖi­ā­ī­ai.
Says Nanak, meditate on the True Lord.

ਸੁਚਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੨॥
सुचि होवै ता सचु पाईऐ ॥२॥
Sucẖ hovai ṯā sacẖ pā­ī­ai. ||2||
If you are pure, you will obtain the True Lord. ||2||

Hi Shahediyan....thanks for the post. I am aware of this shabad, but I read some other eyewitness accounts somewhere of the behaviour of some Brahimns at the time of the Mughals. It was opportunist to say the least.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2010

dear brother

sikh do ardras over langer but that is for thanks, and if that ardras is not performed then also we can consume that food but it will not be termed as langer or parsad but in case of halal if that ritual in not performed then no muslim can consume it ???/.
i would like to ask you if u dont perform that ritual can u eat that flesh ???? sertianly not no muslim will eat it because let me explian you the real concept of halal
halal ritual is performed by fulfilling two things

1.. reciting kalama

2.. taking out blood

now let me take case 1.. ( reciting kalma) they recite kalma because somewhere in their mind they think they r doing worng by killing that animal that is why they make allah happy by reciting his kalma and making it halal. then my question is i will do theft and recite kalma thus making that theft halal????

seondly the concept of taking out whole blood, which according to science and doctors is not possible even if u slaughter anmial by halal some part of blood remains inside.

thirdly i have a question how muslim will perform this ritual when they want to kill any bird for eating. acccording to me we use to shoot bird with bullet t o kill it how any muslim will perform this ritual.

partically halal is not possible, it is possible only if you catch hold that animal or bird easily then u can perform that ritual .

on e thing that is always coming in my mind now days we all know that in slaughter houses slaughteriing is done by machine then who will recite kalma there ooooooooh i forget kalma is written there on knife look how they r changing the whole concept it means this ritual is not partically possible that is why it changed accordingly

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
dear brother

sikh do ardras over langer but that is for thanks, and if that ardras is not performed then also we can consume that food but it will not be termed as langer or parsad but in case of halal if that ritual in not performed then no muslim can consume it ???/.
i would like to ask you if u dont perform that ritual can u eat that flesh ???? sertianly not no muslim will eat it because let me explian you the real concept of halal
halal ritual is performed by fulfilling two things

1.. reciting kalama

2.. taking out blood

now let me take case 1.. ( reciting kalma) they recite kalma because somewhere in their mind they think they r doing worng by killing that animal that is why they make allah happy by reciting his kalma and making it halal. then my question is i will do theft and recite kalma thus making that theft halal????

seondly the concept of taking out whole blood, which according to science and doctors is not possible even if u slaughter anmial by halal some part of blood remains inside.

thirdly i have a question how muslim will perform this ritual when they want to kill any bird for eating. acccording to me we use to shoot bird with bullet t o kill it how any muslim will perform this ritual.

partically halal is not possible, it is possible only if you catch hold that animal or bird easily then u can perform that ritual .

on e thing that is always coming in my mind now days we all know that in slaughter houses slaughteriing is done by machine then who will recite kalma there ooooooooh i forget kalma is written there on knife look how they r changing the whole concept it means this ritual is not partically possible that is why it changed accordingly

I think in a round about way, it is what I am saying.

Ardas is like giving thanks. When a Sikh eats langaar, dinner (meat or vegetables), he/she does ardas to say thanks to God for the food.

Halal is like an apology for killing the animal.

The Sikh attitude is no apology, no hiding, we do everything in the open and we thank you God.:welcome:

Jan 14, 2010
I think in a round about way, it is what I am saying.

Ardas is like giving thanks. When a Sikh eats langaar, dinner (meat or vegetables), he/she does ardas to say thanks to God for the food.

Halal is like an apology for killing the animal.

The Sikh attitude is no apology, no hiding, we do everything in the open and we thank you God.:welcome:
I agree with you randip veer ji but what you think is halal is practically possible. the way animals r slaughter with machines in western countries is that process is halal?????

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM