• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

gurdwara matrimonial service UK dilemma

Aug 23, 2022
Hi guys,

hope you are well.

I am 25 yr old male british-born sikh living in london. I have recently (past 2 weeks) signed up for gurdwara matrimonial services across the UK because I would genuinely like to get married in the coming years as I don't want to live alone my whole life.

Well anyways, after signing myself up for many gurdwaras across the UK and receiving a few phone-calls from different girls parents, I'm actually saddened and shocked.

The reason I'm shocked is because gurdwaras are directly going against the teaching of sikhi and promoting inequality. They literally ask us to write down our 'caste' on a list and occupation level. Also when I read the requirements written by parents' of girls they literally just write down ' the boy must be doctor, atleast 6ft and jatt ' .

That is shocking, our religion says we are all equal. A builder's daughter can marry a billionaire's son in our religion because everyone is EQUAL.

Some girl's parent literally called me one day last week and asked if me or either of my parent's were doctors and then they hung up the phone as soon as I said no.

This is saddening behaviour, this is not why sikhism was created. Can someone please advise me on what I should do next? As I when I first signed up for the gurdwara matrimonial processes, I was very hopeful and optimistic; now not at all.

Aug 23, 2022
I agree. My older brother and older sister both resorted to finding life partner through gurdwaras and they had their fair share of issues with it aswell. Many people lied to them about several things whether it be about drinking alcohol, smoking, occupation or social status.

The worst part is the hypocrisy of the whole thing. The parents of these people ask for their child to be married to the most perfect, most good-looking, richest person when their old child has nothing to offer and they lie about their own child's flaws until after the marriage is finalised. It's shocking.

Aug 23, 2022
Am I allowed to have dating/ courtship period with people we meet through matrimonial sites without involvement of families in order to get to know the person pre-marriage?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: