• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Got To Meet Jagmeet Singh Ji!

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
What an amazing day today! Got to meet Jagmeet Singh Ji at Gurdwara today in Halifax and in tune with his party is huge on equality... he spoke about equality of gender in Sikhi which was amazing to hear from a federal politician who also happens to be Sikh! He is a super nice person (and commented on my dastaar when he entered the Gurdwara sahib as I was by the entrance at the time LOL he said it was tied really nicely - also I guess he doesn’t see a gori female convert in a turban very often so I guess I stood out. He did recognize me from the news a few years ago when I won the right to become first turbaned female in the Royal Canadian Navy through too! :) )

28A01754-DB17-4C16-8746-81EB8BA1DA89.jpeg

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Amazing indeed! :)

Do you guys think, Jagmeet can pull it off in the upcoming Canadian elections to dethrone Justine as PM of Canada?

Odds are heavily stacked against him and Justin is not doing bad either...

What do you guys think?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I don't think he's quite ready. He's intelligent, charismatic, and terribly handsome, as is Justin, but he lacks experience. Canada is a large, very diverse (by design) country. Does he speak French? I hope he is learning if he doesn't. I will, of course, support him, but I think he needs more seasoning.

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Jagmeet Singh is the new hope of the world. I expect him to be leading his people with the same principles as given by the Gurus: Equality, fraternity, universal brotherhood, justice, individual freedom, compassion and soothing discussions. He must control his passions fashion his life with simplicity and approach ability. He is very vulnerable now since even one word spoken will have varied meanings and liable to be exploited; hence speak less but speak correct and to the point. He has to take all along hence be positive and forthcoming in times of trouble of others. He is burdened with great responsibility and must carry it with magnanimity not hurting the faith of the people at any time.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Jagmeet Singh is the new hope of the world. I expect him to be leading his people with the same principles as given by the Gurus: Equality, fraternity, universal brotherhood, justice, individual freedom, compassion and soothing discussions. He must control his passions fashion his life with simplicity and approach ability. He is very vulnerable now since even one word spoken will have varied meanings and liable to be exploited; hence speak less but speak correct and to the point. He has to take all along hence be positive and forthcoming in times of trouble of others. He is burdened with great responsibility and must carry it with magnanimity not hurting the faith of the people at any time.

He is already having to exercise political tact as he has to appeal to ALL groups. For example he may be 100% for a certain issue such as equality but he will only speak about it to a certain extent because other (even Sikh) entities don’t believe in full equality (especially gender) and he has to appeal to all groups for votes. But just as an aside he did speak about gender equality at our Gurdwara and was totally on the side of supporting women to have full equal rights in all seva. But I’m just using that as an example. In general now as a politician he has to use tact with ALL subjects for the same reason. He needs to keep everyone on his side. I would think it would be a bit tiring to try to cater to many different groups that way, but then I am not made (nor interested) to be in politics. After seeing what happened to Harjit Sajjan (surrounding one little statement which wasn’t a lie as was accused)... he never actually said he ‘was’ the architect he said ‘it’ was the architect speaking about the intelligence he gathered. That intelligence was used to construct the mission. But look how that blew up and now no matter what you tell anyone, they think he lied about his role in that mission. In reality, he risked his own life Togo places nobody else would or could... in order to obtain that intelligence. People accuse him of stolen valour and yet HE is the one who risked his life to get the intelligence and then also served on the front line in the actual mission itself! But that’s how politics works. If the opposition can see a small opportunity to destroy someone for their benefit then they will. I hope Jagmeet Singh doesn’t fall prey to the same thing. But he seems to slough off hecklers so far without any incident. (Speaking about that girl who crashed a speech and accused him of being Taliban).

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
He is already having to exercise political tact as he has to appeal to ALL groups. For example he may be 100% for a certain issue such as equality but he will only speak about it to a certain extent because other (even Sikh) entities don’t believe in full equality (especially gender) and he has to appeal to all groups for votes. But just as an aside he did speak about gender equality at our Gurdwara and was totally on the side of supporting women to have full equal rights in all seva. But I’m just using that as an example. In general now as a politician he has to use tact with ALL subjects for the same reason. He needs to keep everyone on his side. I would think it would be a bit tiring to try to cater to many different groups that way, but then I am not made (nor interested) to be in politics. After seeing what happened to Harjit Sajjan (surrounding one little statement which wasn’t a lie as was accused)... he never actually said he ‘was’ the architect he said ‘it’ was the architect speaking about the intelligence he gathered. That intelligence was used to construct the mission. But look how that blew up and now no matter what you tell anyone, they think he lied about his role in that mission. In reality, he risked his own life Togo places nobody else would or could... in order to obtain that intelligence. People accuse him of stolen valour and yet HE is the one who risked his life to get the intelligence and then also served on the front line in the actual mission itself! But that’s how politics works. If the opposition can see a small opportunity to destroy someone for their benefit then they will. I hope Jagmeet Singh doesn’t fall prey to the same thing. But he seems to slough off hecklers so far without any incident. (Speaking about that girl who crashed a speech and accused him of being Taliban).

Jagmeet will do fine in my opinion. He does not feel any pressure to become the PM on the next go at this moment because of his party, NDP. In other words, he has a lot of room given to grow within and make the party more presentable to the people by bringing them up front from the space they hold now in the Canadian politics, that is of a minute number of backbenchers.

The gestation period may take a couple of political cycles. Having said that, it may be a small step for a man but a large step for mankind as Sikhi perceives it to be.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM