• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gatka

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
I didn't see any thread on this subject, and I'm not sure if this is really the right area for it (so feel free to move, admin...). Anyhow I wanted to say I've never known much about or followed martial arts much, but I was thinking how my youngest is very small for his age and could be bullied, and since I live in Chota India, I thought gatka might be a wise option. It's increasing our visits to the gurdwara, and our understanding and knowledge of Sikhi. My child loves going to the gurdwara (never have to ask twice!) and it gives me an extra excuse to go. Plus I've made some cool friends there. :)

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Hello Sat Sri Akal,

I realize this was posted last April after I already started to answer :) but I hope you have stuck around!

Anyway for the benefit of others as well I will just say that ANY martial art builds self confidence, discipline, strength, stamina etc and will teach self defence. And any excuse to visit the Gurdwara is a good one :) though one should not need an excuse to go... Gatka is a great way to connect to history of Sikh warriors though. And please remember it's not only good for boys but girls too should be taught to be Singhnis and not meek and defenceless. All of us are to uphold defending against tyranny and injustice. And all of us should at the very least know self defence.

I wish we had Gatka here... But I did take Taekwon Do before. Great exercise and stress reducer!

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Hello Sat Sri Akal,

I realize this was posted last April after I already started to answer :) but I hope you have stuck around!

Anyway for the benefit of others as well I will just say that ANY martial art builds self confidence, discipline, strength, stamina etc and will teach self defence. And any excuse to visit the Gurdwara is a good one :) though one should not need an excuse to go... Gatka is a great way to connect to history of Sikh warriors though. And please remember it's not only good for boys but girls too should be taught to be Singhnis and not meek and defenceless. All of us are to uphold defending against tyranny and injustice. And all of us should at the very least know self defence.

I wish we had Gatka here... But I did take Taekwon Do before. Great exercise and stress reducer!
Oh yeah my son loves his gatka and is actually quite advanced for his age. He's the only short haired white boy in a rummal ;) but he knows moves from 1-20 and another boy a year and a half older who has been going longer has been stuck on 1-4 forever...yeah I'm proud. ;)

I asked to make sure he got to learn, that he be taught the Punjabi numbers. He's not perfect on that yet but is almost there, counting to 20. When my eldest did karate in 2006 or so she had to learn to count to 10 in Japanese so it only seemed fair to me. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM