• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Division In Panth

Jun 1, 2004
Fateh Ji, i got this very disturbing email from a member... Please share your views...

Regards

Singh Ji
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
waheguru ji ki Fateh!

Well I have been seeing a disturbing trend amongst the panth. Divisions are starting to appear in the form of "jatha's". I know some jathas do serve the panth very well, but inadvertantly it seems as if they are being divisive, because they have certain "mayada's" that they follow. If individuals choose to be a member of that Jatha they must adhere to that code of conduct. However, this being said, what will be the rold of the Thakts then in the future. Guru Hargobind sahib ji layed down the framework for what the takhts were to accomplish for Sikhi. It seems though now, that in the west, we are making our own jatha's and rules. This is a very tough situation, because when the west looks at India especially Akal Takht and see's it's corruptness, they think that they can just change the code of conduct, and justifiy it based on the the fact that some members of the SGPC are corrupt. However, my point I guess from this is that if we have no centralized institution to give us a set of rules, and many in the west dont' know the basics about the principles of Sikhi, then we may become lost.

In my town there are a few Singhs who beleive in DamDami Taksal maryada. I don't mind them doing that, but then they start adding bani, and talking continously about Dasam Granth. However, I was under the impression that Guru ji said we're supposed to follow SGGS ji! Nihangism is spreading now in the West, as for many youth are trying to find "cool" ways of sticking to the Panth. It just gets confusing and as well, especially when many of the youth surrounding me are starting to get more extreme in thier views. I personally am balanced I feel in that I read Gurbani translations, and try my best to be a good human being. For me I follow the principles of work hard, pray hard and share hard. I know I don't have much money as a student, but I share my time as much as I can with other Sikh youth at school whenever I can. This is the thing that I think has been to an extent lost in Sikhi, those three principles have been filtered, and many times is overshadowed by rhetoric and politics moreso than being a good human being.

Thought I would share these comments with you and how can we truly bring the panth back to what it was meant to be.

Take care bro,

Fateh!

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Jee,

We cannot control the events, we can only control our attitude towards the events.

If you are convinced that what some one is doing is not correct, do not follow it, do not outwardly react to it, ignore it. You follow the path you are convinced that it is right.

Such groupping is part of life, these were always there and will be in future also. Only those which are based on Truth only will survive the passage of time rest will perish. Donot give too much importance to them. By our worried reaction they will become stronger.

These are my views.
With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Amarpal said:
Such groupping is part of life, these were always there and will be in future also. Only those which are based on Truth only will survive the passage of time rest will perish. Donot give too much importance to them. By our worried reaction they will become stronger.
I agree with above for sure, as per present/past situations, though it wud be wonderful if all have the same maryada.

Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: